Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Stat Calculator

Wened

Educated
Hello.

For anyone interested in Age of Decadence.
I created a spreadsheet in excel that works as a skill calculator. It lets you plan ahead on your stat and skill distribution in AoD.
Currently it has all the same stuff that we will have in full game (weapon synergies, passive effects, derived statistics etc..)
I will update it if devs make any changes to the system again.

You can get it at AoD forum:
AoD Skill Calculator

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Intelligence is one overpowered stat. The only one that grants a larger bonus if You invest 9 or 10 points into it (8 INT gives 4/20 additional SP while 10 gives 10/20). Other stats are more linear in progression-bonus aspect.

I like the weapon synergies idea, but I don't think the idea to make all weapon skill equally good in syniergies is good. This leads to artificial "crossbow and bow grant sword synergy" to ensure all give 15 synergy points in total. Maybe it makes sense from game mechanics point of view, but it doesn't make sense from common sense pov.

Anyway, thanks for the file, It's definitely useful in planning character development.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MicoSelva said:
Intelligence is one overpowered stat. The only one that grants a larger bonus if You invest 9 or 10 points into it (8 INT gives 4/20 additional SP while 10 gives 10/20). Other stats are more linear in progression-bonus aspect.

The values are for 1,2,3 (no value there), 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

setStatValues(str, 0, 0, 0, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4);
setStatValues(dex, 0, 0, 0, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12);
setStatValues(con, 0, 0, 0, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60);
setStatValues(per, 0, 0, 0, -10,-5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20);
setStatValues(int, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 );
setStatValues(cha, 0, 0, 0, -20,-10,0, 10, 20, 30, 40);

So, INT 8 gives you 4 bonus points, INT 9 gives you 6, and INT 10 gives you 8. Maxing your INT means significant sacrifices elsewhere (i.e. you're very smart, but crippled).

I like the weapon synergies idea, but I don't think the idea to make all weapon skill equally good in syniergies is good.
The idea is to make other weapons usable, so that if you're good with a dagger, you're good at throwing it too.

This leads to artificial "crossbow and bow grant sword synergy" to ensure all give 15 synergy points in total.
?

//synergies
setSkillSynergies(dagger, 0, 5, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 4);
setSkillSynergies(sword, 7, 0, 3, 3, 2, 0, 0, 0);
setSkillSynergies(axe, 1, 2, 0, 7, 3, 0, 0, 2);
setSkillSynergies(hammer, 2, 2, 8, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0);
setSkillSynergies(spear, 2, 3, 3, 3, 0, 0, 0, 4);
setSkillSynergies(bow, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 4);
setSkillSynergies(crossbow, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 8, 0, 5);
setSkillSynergies(throwing, 3, 0, 1, 0, 3, 4, 4, 0);

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
commie said:
This is looking better than DA2 already! Keep it up!
Well that is not a big deal. :D

But keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to the game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Baby steps J_C, baby steps...If VD aims too high from the start we'll never see this game released!

Like this he's overtaken Arcania and DA2...next up is Fable...one at a time...;)

Esquilax

Arcane
commie said:
This is looking better than DA2 already! Keep it up!

I'm anticipating AoD as well, but let's not be ridiculous here. You can't improve upon perfection.

Anyways, I really like the synergy system. It gives the player more options, and it seems pretty well-balanced. Like, say I'm an axe-wielder, but I run into a group of lightly-armored assassins who rely on Dodge for defense. That's a bad match-up for an axe-wielder because there's no advantage in using an axe against an enemy that isn't using a shield. But with the synergy system, I can just pull out the hammer I have as a secondary skill (I get 7 points in hammer for every 10 in axe) and possibly get a few knockdowns on them. I think it allows for a lot more versatility in tactics so you can change things accordingly depending on what sort of enemy you encounter.

I'm really psyched about developing a Dagger user with Throwing as a secondary combat skill. That should be a lot of fun.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jaesun said:
At least there's no god damned gay elf sex.

Not true. VD has been working on romances for the past few months. There are still some questions about romancing dogs and children left unaswered for now, though.

But mods will fix that.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
there are many fine writers at Literotica who can help with giving AoD a hot steamy mature touch

Wened

Educated
Haba said:
Jaesun said:
At least there's no god damned gay elf sex.

Not true. VD has been working on romances for the past few months. There are still some questions about romancing dogs and children left unaswered for now, though.

But mods will fix that.

Yes but they want to keep this secret. I already have all the data for flirting and sex but im not allowed to put them in my calculator until AoD is released. Advice. If you want a romance invest loads of points in Con and Cha Stats.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller said:
MicoSelva said:

The values are for 1,2,3 (no value there), 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

setStatValues(str, 0, 0, 0, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4);
setStatValues(dex, 0, 0, 0, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12);
setStatValues(con, 0, 0, 0, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60);
setStatValues(per, 0, 0, 0, -10,-5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20);
setStatValues(int, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 );
setStatValues(cha, 0, 0, 0, -20,-10,0, 10, 20, 30, 40);

So, INT 8 gives you 4 bonus points, INT 9 gives you 6, and INT 10 gives you 8. Maxing your INT means significant sacrifices elsewhere (i.e. you're very smart, but crippled).
True, I read it wrong. INT=10 gives You 8 bonus points, not 10.

It's still a bit OP and not as linear in increase as other stats. Assuming stats start with 4, each point of STR gives You a linear +1 increase in damage (starting with -2 at STR=4), each point of DEX gives You a linear +1 increase in APs, CON: +5/point, PER: +5/point, CHA +10/point.

INT is the only stat that becomes non-linear at higher values. Each point up until 8 gives You +1, 9th and 10th point give You +2. Meaning it's much more viable to invest in INT=10 than any other stat = 10. Maybe that's the point - so everybody plays with 10 INT? I don't know.

This also made me realize one more thing (a "flaw", I guess). This is something inherited from Fallout, so You guys can't be blamed for it, but it's there. Why exactly higher INT allows my sword-fighting and arrow-shooting skills to increase faster? Basically, if I want to become an uber-archer, I should pump INT and use skills at level ups to increase bow skills. In the long run it will work out better than increasing dexterity to 10 at start.
Basically, a level 20 perceptive bookworm with 6 DEX 10 INT 10 PER will be a better archer than 10 DEX 10 PER 6 INT circuss performer, if they both focus exclusively on the Bow skill. Putting all points in one skill is a stupid idea anyway, but what I mean is if You want to create a super archer, You're better off investing in INT than in DEX, which is kind of weird.

It's not a big flaw, but what I'd really like to see in some game (this is more of an idea for AoD 2 or some other future project ;) ) is more than one type of skill points gained at level ups. SPs based on STR+DEX for physical skills and INT+CHA for utility/social skills, for example.

I like the weapon synergies idea, but I don't think the idea to make all weapon skill equally good in synergies is good.
The idea is to make other weapons usable, so that if you're good with a dagger, you're good at throwing it too.
Yes, I understand that and agree that it's a good design. Not the point (see below).

This leads to artificial "crossbow and bow grant sword synergy" to ensure all give 15 synergy points in total.
?

//synergies
setSkillSynergies(dagger, 0, 5, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 4);
setSkillSynergies(sword, 7, 0, 3, 3, 2, 0, 0, 0);
setSkillSynergies(axe, 1, 2, 0, 7, 3, 0, 0, 2);
setSkillSynergies(hammer, 2, 2, 8, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0);
setSkillSynergies(spear, 2, 3, 3, 3, 0, 0, 0, 4);
setSkillSynergies(bow, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 4);
setSkillSynergies(crossbow, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 8, 0, 5);
setSkillSynergies(throwing, 3, 0, 1, 0, 3, 4, 4, 0);
Yes, exactly. Each weapon grants a total of 15 points in synergies, even though it doesn't always make sense. Examples:
Bow grants 7 points synergy to crossbow (good), 4 points synergy to throwing (kind of ok) and 2 points synergy to dagger and sword (WHY?).
Similarly, crossbow: 8 to bow, 5 to throwing, 1 to dagger/sword. Again, why? The only explanation is so the total synergies are not 13 but 15, as in other skills.
Hammer gives 8 point to axe (I agree), 2 points to both dagger and sword and 3 points to spear. How exactly is spear more similar in use to hammer than a sword? It isn't. But yes, the total is 15 again.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
MicoSelva said:
Why exactly higher INT allows my sword-fighting and arrow-shooting skills to increase faster?
Smarter people learn faster and can develop better techniques than dumbasses?
MicoSelva said:
Basically, if I want to become an uber-archer, I should pump INT and use skills at level ups to increase bow skills. In the long run it will work out better than increasing dexterity to 10 at start.
Basically, a level 20 perceptive bookworm with 6 DEX 10 INT 10 PER will be a better archer than 10 DEX 10 PER 6 INT circuss performer, if they both focus exclusively on the Bow skill. Putting all points in one skill is a stupid idea anyway, but what I mean is if You want to create a super archer, You're better off investing in INT than in DEX, which is kind of weird.
lolwat
Sure, the 'bookworm' would have better aim, but less attacks per round. At that 'high-level' point (I know there are no levels, shut up) both builds would be able to hit everything all the time anyway, but the high Dex build gets 3 shots instead of 2 or 2 aimed instead of 1 aimed. Seems a lot better to me.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MicoSelva said:
Vault Dweller said:
Maxing your INT means significant sacrifices elsewhere (i.e. you're very smart, but crippled).
INT is the only stat that becomes non-linear at higher values. Each point up until 8 gives You +1, 9th and 10th point give You +2. Meaning it's much more viable to invest in INT=10 than any other stat = 10. Maybe that's the point - so everybody plays with 10 INT? I don't know.
Underlined.

This also made me realize one more thing (a "flaw", I guess). This is something inherited from Fallout, so You guys can't be blamed for it, but it's there. Why exactly higher INT allows my sword-fighting and arrow-shooting skills to increase faster? Basically, if I want to become an uber-archer, I should pump INT and use skills at level ups to increase bow skills. In the long run it will work out better than increasing dexterity to 10 at start.

Two mistakes. First, if you want to play a pure archer who does nothing but shoots at things, you'll be better off investing more in Dex and Per than in INT. Extra skill points help, but extra AP help even more, especially if you play a pure combat character who will resolve all quests through violence, which means that he'll be fighting against multiple opponents very often.

Second, it's not a combat game and there are a lot of handy skills for jacks of all trades and non-combat characters. That's what the INT bonus is mostly for. Whereas a pure combat character can handle his challenges with 2 skills, non-combat characters will need to have more than 2 to be effective. Etc.

Bow grants 7 points synergy to crossbow (good), 4 points synergy to throwing (kind of ok) and 2 points synergy to dagger and sword (WHY?).
Throwing because you have skills at hitting targets, can estimate the distance, aim properly, etc. Dagger and sword because they are realistic back up weapons. You'd expect an archer to receive training with a dagger and sword.

In the end though the main reason for the synergy is to give you some proficiency with other weapons.

Hammer gives 8 point to axe (I agree), 2 points to both dagger and sword and 3 points to spear. How exactly is spear more similar in use to hammer than a sword? It isn't. But yes, the total is 15 again.
We do less than 15 points, people will say this weapon is better because it gives more points. So, yes, the number of points is the same for all weapons, the spread is different. As for why hammer gives bonuses to spear, it's because both are strength-based weapons. However, the bonus is relatively minor.

Captain Shrek

Why are the passiveeffects tied to individual weapons?

(e.g. Armour penetration to Dagger) or am I wrong?

Otherwise looks great.

EDIT: For errors

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm gonna make a 10INT, 10CHA non-combat char with sneaking and lockpicking. :O

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom