Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bioware needs your help!

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
A half-dragon, obviously. All the pwnzorship of regular dragons, but with human titties and genitals, to add balance to gameplay.

Voss

Erudite
Or, possibly, Bioware gets its developers to sit down and do their fucking jobs.
Because nothing says 'Great game' then some badly implemented fan ideas.
First, they don't fit into the mesh of the setting being created,
Second, the crappy idea is modified into something vaguely workable, upsetting the one 'fan' (the guy who's idea it is) who cared about it in the first place

bryce777

Erudite
The Doltoids.

Obsessive roleplaying gamers who demands easier and easier, more braindead gameplay. Can be seen on message boards everywhere, complaining that their mage can't wear armor, their thief can't backstab with a two-handed sword, or that they can't dual wield twohanded weapons, or creating illogical and rambling nonarguments about silly topics.

Common names include variations on Driz'zit, Elminster, Frodo/Bilbo/Sauron, or Volourn.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WOW! I didn't know my name was as iconic as those other ones.

I HAVE FINALLY ARRIVED!

WOO HOO!

bryce777

Erudite
I would like to see an insect-oriented game. Sort of like Tolkien's thing about the insect knight who jousted on a dragonfly and such.

This would have a lot of benefits because physics are smaller, speeds are (seemingly) faster in proportion, and so you could have the equivlent of knocking a foe back 100 yards with a blow, and you could realistically fall the equivalent of a mile and still live.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I'd prefer to see anything that really stood out and was more than the predominant "we're different than other races because we're stupid/smart/ugly and live in caves/trees/parents' house at 40". Basically, some race that had a very different culture from others present in Dragon Age.

One race concept I came up with some time ago and which was meant to be used in a Neverwinter Nights module I will develop with Volourn (I know, very Twilight Zoneish), was basically that of an alien race (read: alien when compared with other races of the world, not necessarily outer space beings; they could just be an advanced species wheter they are ancient and old to the world, or ancient and new to the world) which use the bodies of those who live in the world as their hosts. They can be small to medium-sized, and they establish a symbiotic relationship with hosts, often providing an offer of sorts at the expense of some level of control; hosts can be partially or fully controlled but generally stand to gain something from this. While many travel and show themselves in broad daylight (in the module I was planning anyways), it's not unheard of some travelling in secret.

Their reasons for exploring the world could tie in to either background: if they are ancient maybe they have been put to slumber, by someone's hand or by themselves in the past and only have now awakened and decide to explore the world and see what has changed trough the aeons they have laid dormant; if they are new to the world - ie, ET phone home - then they could also use hosts to explore the world).

The gist of the race is that they are weak as kittens without a host: since they're basically small creatures which require the strength and mobility of their hosts to move about and interact better with the gameworld, and haven't developed physical abilities to a great extent, they require the hosts, regardless of race. Ingame, when they latch onto a host they confer it some small boosts to their base statistics at the expense of control over it. Only a character with high Willpower can overcome total control.

Another aspect about the symbiotes is that they can leave subjects and find others, wheter because they sense power or that they can be more useful to them. As such during the game, if the alien race was a playable race then this would mean the PC could switch from any race to other he wanted. Of course, some penalty should apply to avoid unchecked body snatching (such as a penalty to the alien's constitution when he leaves a host, much like a Mage would suffer a penalty when his familiar would die; or establish an amount of time under which the alien can not leave the new body).

Other than that, gorillas with cybernetic arms and cow udders r0xxorz.

Stark

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
..was basically that of an alien race (read: alien when compared with other races of the world, not necessarily outer space beings; they could just be an advanced species wheter they are ancient and old to the world, or ancient and new to the world) which use the bodies of those who live in the world as their hosts. They can be small to medium-sized, and they establish a symbiotic relationship with hosts, often providing an offer of sorts at the expense of some level of control; hosts can be partially or fully controlled but generally stand to gain something from this.

hi RP, i thought this is a very nice idea and offers some intriguing role-playing oppurtunities. the gamer may control the intelligent alien race one moment, and flip over to the controlled host another moment. The speech options actually changes depending which is the one under control right now.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Stark said:
hi RP, i thought this is a very nice idea and offers some intriguing role-playing oppurtunities. the gamer may control the intelligent alien race one moment, and flip over to the controlled host another moment. The speech options actually changes depending which is the one under control right now.

Thanks for the comment, Stark. Speaking of which I had originally thought of that possibility and while it's great to allow for one to take control away from the other, I still haven't decided if this is something I'd be willing and able to include in that module. This race concept wasn't even meant to be a PC race in the first place, so... Maybe, we'll see. Volourn doesn't even know of that plan yet, lol. Maybe he does now that I posted it :)

Claw said:

I'm only vaguely familiar with Stargate and the Goa'uld, but the source didn't come from there.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Role-Player said:
One race concept I came up with some time ago and which was meant to be used in a Neverwinter Nights module I will develop with Volourn (I know, very Twilight Zoneish), was basically that of an alien race (read: alien when compared with other races of the world, not necessarily outer space beings; they could just be an advanced species wheter they are ancient and old to the world, or ancient and new to the world) which use the bodies of those who live in the world as their hosts. They can be small to medium-sized, and they establish a symbiotic relationship with hosts, often providing an offer of sorts at the expense of some level of control; hosts can be partially or fully controlled but generally stand to gain something from this. While many travel and show themselves in broad daylight (in the module I was planning anyways), it's not unheard of some travelling in secret.

The gist of the race is that they are weak as kittens without a host: since they're basically small creatures which require the strength and mobility of their hosts to move about and interact better with the gameworld, and haven't developed physical abilities to a great extent, they require the hosts, regardless of race. Ingame, when they latch onto a host they confer it some small boosts to their base statistics at the expense of control over it. Only a character with high Willpower can overcome total control.

Another aspect about the symbiotes is that they can leave subjects and find others, wheter because they sense power or that they can be more useful to them. As such during the game, if the alien race was a playable race then this would mean the PC could switch from any race to other he wanted. Of course, some penalty should apply to avoid unchecked body snatching (such as a penalty to the alien's constitution when he leaves a host, much like a Mage would suffer a penalty when his familiar would die; or establish an amount of time under which the alien can not leave the new body).

Cool - like Paradroid.

Off topic - there was to be a David Fincher film based on a Heinlein short about aliens 'joyriding' by controlling human bodies and experiencing their emotions - what the heck happened to it, dammit?

Drakron

Arcane
[quote="Role-Player]
I'm only vaguely familiar with Stargate and the Goa'uld, but the source didn't come from there.[/quote]

Perhaps but you pretty much did the "symbiot race" and that is hardly new or original since I seen it on Stargate and on Star Trek:Deep Space 9.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Didn't said it was original, but Stargate and Star Trek weren't sources. I don't think I even consulted any symbiotic race concepts from popular shows or sources. If there was such an influence it was indirect at best.

bryce777

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Role-Player said:

Cool - like Paradroid.

Off topic - there was to be a David Fincher film based on a Heinlein short about aliens 'joyriding' by controlling human bodies and experiencing their emotions - what the heck happened to it, dammit?

I saw it. the puppetmasters. It was not bad, but a little different than the book, which was tres coolio.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
baby arm said:
RP, I know you didn't say it was original, but Messiah (by Shiny) already used that as its main gameplay feature.

So did Omnikron: The Nomad Soul. So did Legacy of Kain and LoK: Blood Omen, in some instances. And probably some other games before those. Then again, the race I pointed out wasn't the 'main gameplay feature' of the module, and it was more elaborate - at least in concept - than 'jump from X body to Y body to solve a puzzle - rinse and repeat kthnbye'.

bryce777

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Bryce - that Puppet Masters was a 94 movie which was not directed by David Fincher (Fight Club, Seven). It looks like Fincher has dropped that project, and is now filming something called 'Zodiac'.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000399/

Hmm, it would have been cool to have a heinlein project done by a non-moron director. I hate that robocop fool and his awful movies.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Well if it's any consolation there's a PK Dick novel-based film coming up - A Scanner Darkly, done by an absolute fuckin' legend - Richard 'Slacker' Linklater, one of my movie-makin' heroes.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Yeah WL was pretty boring and rambling.

I hope its like Slacker which was magnificent. Or Dazed and Confused which was cool.

Section8

Cipher
Hmm, it would have been cool to have a heinlein project done by a non-moron director. I hate that robocop fool and his awful movies.

I'm a big fan of Van Der Hoeven's B movies. He's like Uwe Boll, without the self-delusion. It's self-aware trash, but I agree that it was pretty fucking stupid to turn a Heinlein work into that kind of movie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom