Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Skyrim: Making Fantasy a Reality

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>IGN <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176498p1.html" target="_blank">put up an interview</a> with Skyrim Lead Designer Bruce Nesmith. Sample:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Bruce Nesmith: What Radiant Story allows us to do it react to a dynamic situation. Before we had it, everything had to be much more specifically scripted.<br /><br />The simple things tend to be the most exciting. If the player drops a valuable item in the world, someone might come over and ask the player if they don't want it anymore. In another case, Radiant Story might have two characters start fighting over it right in front of you. If you kill someone, a relative or friend of that person may decide to hunt you down. Radiant Story allows us to set up these story templates that respond to things the player does, but at the same type keep the reacting NPCs in character.<br /><br />Ultimately players don't think in terms of Radiant Story, they just want to have fun. Radiant AI and Radiant Story are just tools that we can use as developers to achieve that. Like any tool, it can be used properly or improperly. Realizing that was a big moment for us. We've kept the focus on great stories and great gameplay. Sometimes Radiant Story can help with that, and sometimes it can't. If we do our jobs well, the players will never be able to tell the difference.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, they presumably want to create a virtual living and reacting world instead of a static open-world sandbox. This is not bad in its own right. We'll see how it turns out - I somehow doubt effects will be spectacular.

NPCs stealing dropped items was already present in Arcanum, but they did not fight over them or ask if You want them back or other stuff (they however started using them, if the item was good weapon, for example), so there could be some potential :incline: here.

However, I don't think their Radiant Story will get at least as much reactivity to player's actions as there is in Din's Curse. Also, all potential improvements based on increased complexity are probably very limited by the console hardware now, so no miracles should be expected in that regard.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
damnit....there might be something in this.....Ive talked about emergent gameplay this way...but...well see.

What am i saying this ....fuck is still shit.

Devil

Scholar
Not me.

:smug:

Time to find those Oblivion pre-realease videos showing the glorious Radiant AI in action. Then go to TESF and point out a few inconsistencies.

kris

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>IGN <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176498p1.html" target="_blank">put up an interview</a> with Skyrim Lead Designer Bruce Nesmith. Sample:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Bruce Nesmith: What Radiant Story allows us to do it react to a dynamic situation. Before we had it, everything had to be much more specifically scripted.<br /><br />The simple things tend to be the most exciting. If the player drops a valuable item in the world, someone might come over and ask the player if they don't want it anymore. In another case, Radiant Story might have two characters start fighting over it right in front of you. If you kill someone, a relative or friend of that person may decide to hunt you down. Radiant Story allows us to set up these story templates that respond to things the player does, but at the same type keep the reacting NPCs in character.<br /><br />Ultimately players don't think in terms of Radiant Story, they just want to have fun. Radiant AI and Radiant Story are just tools that we can use as developers to achieve that. Like any tool, it can be used properly or improperly. Realizing that was a big moment for us. We've kept the focus on great stories and great gameplay. Sometimes Radiant Story can help with that, and sometimes it can't. If we do our jobs well, the players will never be able to tell the difference.</p>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>

When I saw that word the last time I was sure it was a joke.

Apparently not. Still, what they write sounds good, is just that I don't trust their implementation of it.

Miew

Novice
That thing about dropping a sword or other valuable item and what NPCs might do with it seems to be the only thing they can ever come up with as an example for their AI. :(

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MicoSelva said:
So, they presumably want to create a virtual living and reacting world instead of a static open-world sandbox. This is not bad in its own right. We'll see how it turns out - I somehow doubt effects will be spectacular.

NPCs stealing dropped items was already present in Arcanum, but they did not fight over them or ask if You want them back or other stuff (they however started using them, if the item was good weapon, for example), so there could be some potential :incline: here.

It was already present in ultima VII. And probably some roguelikes.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
My god... NPCS can pick up... your items on the ground!?

My thoughts?

Radiant:

http://www.thenayshun.com/wp-content/up ... /shit1.jpg

The quests will be scripted JUST like before this game came out. After the fact, they will spin how they didn't want players to experience the "full" potential of radiant story. After that, Bethesda will sorta hope everyone forgets the over-hyped, under-developed, shoddy, and shitty concept of fuck feces.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck, it was present in hitman, since i played it now.

DragoFireheart

SCO said:
MicoSelva said:

It was already present in ultima VII. And probably some roguelikes.

It's like the game industry is discovering the lost city of Atlantis (aka, older games).

Vibalist

Arcane
Radiant Story? Another feature that will be hyped in previews, fail completely to live up to the hype and then be glossed over by reviewers. Nothing to see here, is there?

curry

Arcane
If the player drops a valuable item in the world, someone might come over and ask the player if they don't want it anymore. In another case, Radiant Story might have two characters start fighting over it right in front of you. If you kill someone, a relative or friend of that person may decide to hunt you down. Radiant Story allows us to set up these story templates that respond to things the player does, but at the same type keep the reacting NPCs in character.

I hope they didn't get too excited about their new engine and overdo it. Like, in Fallout 3 people would bring you gifts all the fucking time and in GTA you'd get those phone calls ALL THE TIME asking you to hang out even when you're busy doing something important.

kofeur

Liturgist
Expect to have an annoying NPC come bother you everytime you want to get rid of an item... :M

That being said, I'd like to see them implement other NPCs dropping items and someone coming to fight you for them, but that might be too advanced fot the 'amazing' radiant AI...

Ecco

Novice
Production of Skyrim will be moved near Fukushima for a real radiant experience. Other news at 11.

.Sigurd

Educated
History repeats itself.

MrSmileyFaceDude about Oblivion in Bethesda's forums before the game comes out said:
"You're walking through a seedy part of a town in Western Cyrodiil. People mill about, some engaged in conversation, others minding their own business, out on their own errands. Suddenly, an ugly man decides he doesn't like you. Maybe he's drunk, maybe he's just a bully, maybe he's just showing off in front of his friends -- but for whatever reason, he has taken your measure and decided he can best you.

He comes charging at you, with a nasty looking mace in his hand and a look of hatred on his face. Onlookers move back to make room for what should be an entertaining fight.

Quickly drawing your sword and shield, you wheel around to face him. He's upon you pretty quickly though, and you barely have time to raise your shield (hold right mouse button) before his first blow thunders down upon you.

But you block well, and as he recoils from the collision, you quickly perform left & right slashes with your sword (left click, pause, left click). The bully realizes this isn't going to be easy.

He backs off a bit, and starts dodging around you. First to the left, then to the right. You maneuver to keep him in view, looking for an opening. Suddenly he steps back, raises his mace in both hands, and steps forward, bringing the mace towards your head in a crushing blow!

But you're quick -- you step to the side as he attacks. As he passes by, you execute a spinning maneuver and slash him in the side (hold left mouse button and left maneuver key). The hit is solid, and your foe staggers from the blow.

But it's not over yet. The bully swings his mace wildly -- his first swing misses, but the next one connects for a blow that sends you staggering. Pressing his advantage, the bully bears down on you with a power attack of his own. OUCH. This isn't going well. You take a glance at your health meter, it's getting a bit low. You quickly back up out of the bully's reach and raise your shield (hold right mouse button).

He's hurting, too. You circle each other for a time, looking for an opening, trying to recover some fatigue. Finally the bully charges forward with a devastating overhead blow, perhaps hoping to break your shield. But the shield holds and the recoil send him staggering back. This is your chance! You perform a mighty forward power attack (hold the left mouse button, press forward) and connect solidly. The blow staggers your foe once again, and you perform 3 slashing attacks in rapid succession (left mouse button, pause, left mouse button, pause, left mouse button), and finally the bully collapses to the ground, defeated.

The crowd disperses, going back to their own business."

Ecco said:
Production of Skyrim will be moved near Fukushima for a real radiant experience. Other news at 11.
:lol:

DragoFireheart

.Sigurd said:
History repeats itself.

MrSmileyFaceDude about Oblivion in Bethesda's forums before the game comes out said:
"You're walking through a seedy part of a town in Western Cyrodiil. People mill about, some engaged in conversation, others minding their own business, out on their own errands. Suddenly, an ugly man decides he doesn't like you. Maybe he's drunk, maybe he's just a bully, maybe he's just showing off in front of his friends -- but for whatever reason, he has taken your measure and decided he can best you.

He comes charging at you, with a nasty looking mace in his hand and a look of hatred on his face. Onlookers move back to make room for what should be an entertaining fight.

Quickly drawing your sword and shield, you wheel around to face him. He's upon you pretty quickly though, and you barely have time to raise your shield (hold right mouse button) before his first blow thunders down upon you.

But you block well, and as he recoils from the collision, you quickly perform left & right slashes with your sword (left click, pause, left click). The bully realizes this isn't going to be easy.

He backs off a bit, and starts dodging around you. First to the left, then to the right. You maneuver to keep him in view, looking for an opening. Suddenly he steps back, raises his mace in both hands, and steps forward, bringing the mace towards your head in a crushing blow!

But you're quick -- you step to the side as he attacks. As he passes by, you execute a spinning maneuver and slash him in the side (hold left mouse button and left maneuver key). The hit is solid, and your foe staggers from the blow.

But it's not over yet. The bully swings his mace wildly -- his first swing misses, but the next one connects for a blow that sends you staggering. Pressing his advantage, the bully bears down on you with a power attack of his own. OUCH. This isn't going well. You take a glance at your health meter, it's getting a bit low. You quickly back up out of the bully's reach and raise your shield (hold right mouse button).

He's hurting, too. You circle each other for a time, looking for an opening, trying to recover some fatigue. Finally the bully charges forward with a devastating overhead blow, perhaps hoping to break your shield. But the shield holds and the recoil send him staggering back. This is your chance! You perform a mighty forward power attack (hold the left mouse button, press forward) and connect solidly. The blow staggers your foe once again, and you perform 3 slashing attacks in rapid succession (left mouse button, pause, left mouse button, pause, left mouse button), and finally the bully collapses to the ground, defeated.

The crowd disperses, going back to their own business."

Ecco said:
:lol:

Good catch. I remember all the hype Oblivion had. So disappointing...

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Bruce Nesmith, One of the big thinkers of our time:

Radiant AI and Radiant Story are just tools that we can use as developers to achieve that.
Like any tool, it can be used properly or improperly.
Realizing that was a big moment for us

:clap: :D

DragoFireheart

Black said:
http://www.gamebandits.com/news/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim-bethesda-follows-biowares-lead-in-rpg-romance-07211/

Here's a reason for you "ass effect 2 was an enjoyable shooter" fuckers to play skyrim. I'm sure it'll be an "enjoyable, good for what it is, walking simulator".

So I will be able to get a shout that lets me romance dragons?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom