Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence June Update

1eyedking

Erudite
Music is a massive improvement from the tripe the completely talentless King's Bounty composer released.

Now for the HUD, it's OK. Nothing spectacular (Fallout, Icewind Dale, StarCraft, Diablo), but it's miles ahead from last year's.

All in all, lookin' good.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why are people praising the interface? It looks like utter shit. Who in their right mind would use the fallout inventory system? FFS.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The new UI looks odd with all its floaty bits which is funny because I'm pretty sure VD was completely against a minimalist approach back when he was taking suggestions for a change (which led Oscar to joining the team). Funny how time changes us?

Those NPC animations are nice.

Deleted member 7219

Duke Nukem Forever is out. Who wants to bet Black Mesa will also be released before AoD?

Seriously though, that video looks good. I'm just impatient, I guess.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So VD it's 2011 and this is all you got?

DNF has beaten you
Now it's Grimoire's turn

Cleve is gonna make you his bitch

mwnn

Novice
I especially love the way the placed water urn disappears into thin air at the 20 second mark.

It's small oversights touches like these which elevate a good game to greatness.

:smug:

In all seriousness though, I got a nice Gothic vibe from that video, looks good and sounds good.

I just hope the gameplay mechanics are as solid - the old combat demo felt rather stagnant, probably due to the low damage and high health. Whack-a-mole might be a good description. At least the combat in Fallout was quick, unforgiving and viscerally pleasing.

UI mockups still need some work although the elegantly simple Fallout interface just might be my favourite - toss in a few item filters and so forth to bring it up to date.

:thumbsup:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks great! So whenever some poser chides people for being a 'graphics whore' in indie games just look at what the AoD guys did. Indie doesn't mean zero effort. I don't expect the ultra quality present in games today... and, quite frankly, I actually hate what we have today; but you can still have an indie game that looks solid and paints a believable world.

Prosper II

Educated
the world is ruined. Prosper breaks out his big game try videos. envy of all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iyIZdh7isw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ZgIpgm1rM (black and white edition)

inspirational metr id candy cone heaven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpUyM-rF1E

Half decent JFG attempt for once
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZMBZCQQvI

Finally the thing that started it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrsEtMqG6mE (featured Karen ANN) (r u a girl?)

bonus (wins crowds of nostalgia) (men bouncers like in new reno)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXfW2AV9WvQ

Prosper II

Educated
Melcar said:
This shit is hilarious.

mine or his? i thought the AOD update was obviously an improvement. i really liked how the civ ai carried the box on its back with such.. depthtual animation

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Metro said:
Looks great! So whenever some poser chides people for being a 'graphics whore' in indie games just look at what the AoD guys did. Indie doesn't mean zero effort. I don't expect the ultra quality present in games today... and, quite frankly, I actually hate what we have today; but you can still have an indie game that looks solid and paints a believable world.

Yeah, just look at what the AOD guys did, in what, 7 years? That's not exactly a realistic development cycle.

The Dude

Liturgist
Animation/graphic whorery only for the sake of immershun? Hiring a skilled composer to draw in the masses and for yet more IMMERSHUN!?

This is the kind of faggotry I like! Since I have pretty high hopes for the narrative and know that the core system is more than decent, looking and sounding better doesn't really hurt. So yeah, bring on Thursday already!

kazgar

Arcane
Really like the animations of the dudes carrying and picking up/putting down stuff. So often the townspeople just walk around aimlessly, its a really nice touch.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
It looks good. I am looking forward to this game but I might not buy it at launch and just wait until it goes on sale on Steam.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I AM CUMMING BUCKETS!!

P.S. That music was fucking awesome!

The walking speed of some of the characters seems a bit... fast?

Dark Matter

Prophet
Looks amazing. It really is admirable that the AoD team has managed to show so much dedication and hark work for this long when most would have given up a long time ago.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
So is this the first embedded video on the Codex? Can we expect other embedded videos of other games in the future? The Codex must not show any favouritism when it comes to promoting games.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looking absolutely fabulous there. VD and his team have come a very long way. :salute: Music sounds great and the game is really starting to look like more than 'just' an indie. Looking forward to wednesday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom