Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Hellgate London jaw flapping at GameVision.de

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Bill Roper; Flagship Studios; Hellgate: London

<a href=http://www.gamevision.de>GameVision.de</a> have <a href=http://www.gamevision.de/specials,id594,2,hellgate_london_bill_roper_interview.html>interviewed</a> Flagship boss Bill Roper about their upcoming Hellgate: London.<blockquote>GameVision:
<br>
Will there be a function to show the emotions of the characters (emotes)?
<br>
<br>
Bill Roper:
<br>
Emotes are definitely something we’ll want to look at since it helps players live in their characters. Things like this aren’t part of the core mechanics, so they all go on a big list and we get in what we can, usually prioritized by how much they add to the overall play experience.</blockquote>I'm no professional designer type, but I doubt having the player avatar smile behind their big helmet will add very much to the experience.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

vazquez595654

Arbiter
You know I have never met BIll Roper in person, but from all the interviews I have read and heard from him, he always seems to be right on. And besides Warren Spector (who says cool things that probably wont be done in games for a while) Roper says cool things that make you say, "Wow that feature sounds amazingly fun and unique, I would have never thought of that."

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whenever I read his interviews I always picture Norman Fell designing games

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I rarely ever bothered with the emotions thing in games other than to just be silly. I'm not really sure if there's an actual point to them beyond that. I don't know if too many people actually use them to act out the emotions of their characters in those games. If people do, then there's something wrong with them in the head.

Section8

Cipher
Though they're not emotes in the sense of facial expression to indicate an emotion, I use quite a few "emotes" in online games to either streamline things, or just to add flavour.

For instace, DAoC had a tradition of bowing/curtseying when you meet people, do business and what not along with nods, shake of the head, points etc. Personally, aside from the emote spamming kiddies, it's a reasonable social enhancement, even if it is kind of trivial.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's not a big deal to add but they aren't a priority in the design of the game. I can see how emotes like "attack my target!" and "defend me!" might be useful in multiplayer.

I think it's rather pathetic that of all the stuff in that interview to quote, you quote the most useless question. I doubt I'd see Gothic 3 or some other RPG Codex masturbatory fantasy treated the same way when it comes to the news posts.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Mmmm, Gothic 3...

I'm on my 3rd play through of Gothic. I beat Gothic 2 first and halfway through it I preorderd Gothic 2 Gold. Yea, I bought it twice basically.

I'm listening to the two Gothic 3 music clips on repeat right now...

I'm playing Gothic over and over until Gothic 2 Gold arrives in a couple of days. Then I'll play that over and over.

I've started work on my Tribute to Gothic shrine. It's in my closet so they can't see. I've also started work designing some real life Ore Armor! I'm going to wear it at all times. I need protection from undead orc shamen that live under my bed and in the toilet. I've been e-mailing Pyranha Bytes every day asking them when Gothic 3 is going to be released. They stopped replying... :( But seriously, everything above this paragraph is true to the letter. :lol:

Phanboi 4 Lyfe :cool:

Spazmo

Erudite
Sol Invictus said:
I think it's rather pathetic that of all the stuff in that interview to quote, you quote the most useless question. I doubt I'd see Gothic 3 or some other RPG Codex masturbatory fantasy treated the same way when it comes to the news posts.

I always try to post negative stuff about Hellgate London in the hopes that Rex will read it and get offended. This may seem kind of sad and petty, but then consider that Rex apparently actually does get offended.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I dunno, Rex called the Codex "pathetic" and used "masturbatory". I'd say that's upset, if not distraught.

Drakron

Arcane
Nothing wrong with mastrubation, expecialy when looking at Victory secrets models.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, just wait until the game comes out and give it a few days. At first he'll be like "OMGTIHSGAEMROXZZZ!!!11!!!!" and, next thing we know it'll be "OMGTIHSGAEMSUXORZZZ!1!!1!"

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing that crap for over 4 months kinda makes you the dumbass, don't it?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
4 whole months before you said it sucked? Wow. That's a new record for you.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
HanoverF said:
Playing that crap for over 4 months kinda makes you the dumbass, don't it?

How's that? It's not like the game that I played initially during the E34E event or the closed beta was anything like the game months after its actual release. Maybe if you looked into why a lot of the hardcore players stopped liking the game you wouldn't say stupid things like this.

I don't understand why almost everyone on the Codex seems to be a rude jackass with nothing better to do than to make one liners with the words 'dumbass', 'retard' or 'nigger' in it. It's ironic considering how a lot of the people here seem to view themselves as the 'elite' of whatever fucking universe they seem to think they exist in.

Drakron

Arcane
I know, of course those people tended to be unable to see anything beyond the PvP aspect of the game.

So they were not the "hardcore players" but the idiots that never cared about the PvE aspect of the game, the ones that continued to want their "UAS" buttons because they are too fucking stupid to realize that was only during beta testing.

Reading Guild Wars interviews over the PvE aspect of the game before release is even funnier, I think game developers would start to get in politics because they already have the whole "lying but not really lying" part done.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
UAS would be a plus to the game now, if you ask me. Though it wasn't the case when it was released.

The problem with the PVE game is that it is slow and boring. ArenaNet made a huge mistake by making all the monsters as strong as players. The players are supposed to be heroes, so what gives? They should have gone the City of Heroes route and made them glass cannons instead - highly damaging monsters with low hitpoints.

What we got instead were hordes of really tough monsters that were undefeatable alone, or even in a group. It wasn't reflective of the promise they made to PVE players who wanted a solo experience when they said soloing would be a viable possibility for playing the game.

In City of Heroes/Villains, the game allows you to tweak the difficulty of your missions so the entire game (minus raid areas and group oriented things) is soloable. In retrospect, I should have been playing COH instead of GW.

On top of that, there wasn't any mission variety in Guild Wars. Once you run through the game once, there's just no replay value. Neither the monsters nor the quests are randomized and the instanced areas can be very tedious due to the respawns. The most recent changes in the last patch make it too difficult for PVE players to do certain areas. Elementalists are pretty much fucked because the AI runs away from any sort of AOE now.

Now the problem with the lack of UAE and PVP is that PVP players are forced to grind through the entire game just to get skills. ArenaNet made a mistake by incorporating both PVP and PVE into a single setting. Simply put, they should have just separated the two. I don't see what the problem is: the game could stand on its own feet in PVP even without the PVE portion of the game.

Of course, having more maps wouldn't hurt. It's pathetic how little attention ANet gives to PVP.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
"The monsters are too hard BOOHOO"- sol exitium extreme estergon

God forbid if the solo experience isn't awesome because its a co-op game. Look i don't like the game but any less of a faggot could come up with better reasons. You always try and find reasons to your emotions but they will never match because there is no reason for you being a faggot.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
Sol Invictus said:
You know I played Guild Wars for over 4 months, right? Dumbass.

Sol Invictus said:
I don't understand why almost everyone on the Codex seems to be a rude jackass with nothing better to do than to make one liners with the words 'dumbass', 'retard' or 'nigger' in it.

WE learned from watching you allright?!?!

we learned from watching you.

Dumbass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom