Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 3 kicks ass

scimmiagialla

Novice
I've only played this in single player (50 euros for a game? never!)

I loved it, MA R'lyeh, a massive fungus as pretender.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

flabbyjack

Arcane
This game was somebody's labor of love. No matter what kind of deity or civilization you want to be, you can make it happen. The only problem is that some longer games on large maps end up just being an exercise in hitting the recruit button and moving troops across the map.

But usually by that point, you are dominating with powerful magic. <fin>

gp1628

Novice
flabbyjack said:
This game was somebody's labor of love. No matter what kind of deity or civilization you want to be, you can make it happen. The only problem is that some longer games on large maps end up just being an exercise in hitting the recruit button and moving troops across the map.

But usually by that point, you are dominating with powerful magic. <fin>
Yes the game can get micromanagement heavy toward the end.

But the devs knew that also. Some people dont like that the late game shifts from big armies to magics. But that is the answer to the MM problem.

There are other ways to cut MM also. Mods and Maps and Settings. Playing the game with low settings on gold, resources, and supplies can cut MM. Also maps that have an NI or PI version which limits the provinces that have any kindof recruitable indepents. A map that has a ratio of about 1-in-10 seems very playable plus it makes those provinces more important to hang onto when not every prevince lets you recruit something

Topher

Cipher
I love the game but damn if all useless units don't drive me nuts and every civ I've played has a few of them; even the civ guides on the official forums make mention of them. The game really needs a re-balance for quite a few units. I've looked at the "balance mod" (CRB) or something but the notes only mention of making some of these units cheaper which doesn't up their usefulness at all in many cases, like the EA-Arco Icarid units. Am I missing something?

gp1628

Novice
Topher said:
I love the game but damn if all useless units don't drive me nuts and every civ I've played has a few of them; even the civ guides on the official forums make mention of them. The game really needs a re-balance for quite a few units. I've looked at the "balance mod" (CRB) or something but the notes only mention of making some of these units cheaper which doesn't up their usefulness at all in many cases, like the EA-Arco Icarid units. Am I missing something?

Heehee. You are just missing that the game is only 2 garage-hobby developers. One is a programmer in real life (but not a games programmer) and the other is a teacher of ReligioMythology History. And they just made the game for fun. So its full of things that are historically correct or that the devs didnt actually bother to come up with a reason for. They are more likely to add more of the same than to try and "fix" such things.

But there are options. One "balance" mod is called the AweSome mods which go the other direction from CBM. CBm tends to nerf down, which Awesome tends to tweak up. I dont really play with either one

gp1628

Novice
And AGAIN years after its released, another free patch/upgrade is coming soon.
http://ulm.illwinter.com/dom3/dom3progress.html

The patch has been released by the devs but is still in beta testing. Its expected soon. People should hold off on starting new multiplayer games since patching can shake up a game. Most of the hosts WILL patch (only a couple offer continuing to run a game on old versions) and all players will then have to rush to patch before the next turn. That means every active Dom3 MP player is in a rush to get the patch from the little Shrapnel servers (your desktop machine is probably bigger). Also some players tend to disappear with each patch since it fixes torrent downloads

The Dude

Liturgist
Thinking of fessing up for this. Anyone who knows if you get the key in your email if you buy the actual shipped version with manual and stuff? If that's the case I could always "aquire" the game through other means while I wait for the physical copy to arrive by mail.

The download side of Shrapnel's store is quite honestly a fucking joke. Have to PAY for extended download? Buying the physical copy and the download are different products that cost the same? Sure, they are niche, but c'mon, at least take a few small hints from Steam, Stardock and Gamer's Gate.

gp1628

Novice
The Dude said:
Thinking of fessing up for this. Anyone who knows if you get the key in your email if you buy the actual shipped version with manual and stuff? If that's the case I could always "aquire" the game through other means while I wait for the physical copy to arrive by mail.
I dont think so. But its a really tiny company so you could always ask.

The download side of Shrapnel's store is quite honestly a fucking joke. Have to PAY for extended download? Buying the physical copy and the download are different products that cost the same? Sure, they are niche, but c'mon, at least take a few small hints from Steam, Stardock and Gamer's Gate.
They know of all of those and have answered why they cant do things that way. It tends to be a "whole thing or nothing". They cant just take a couple good things and not the other stuff that goes with it.

DakaSha

Arcane
Topher said:

In CBM things are more balanced (and i dont see how lower gold cost doesnt effect that.. please explain.. keep in mind that there is magic in this game that can be used on low cost units.. also lower gold translates directly into lower upkeep making the difference more substantial then you may think )
The game follows a form of balance known as: Include so much shit that with some creativity any situation can be remedied.. and it actually works fairly well.
There are def units you will 'never' buy but i can almost guarantee you that some other guy is using them to decent effect

The Dude

Liturgist
Thanks for the answers GP.

I went ahead and ordered, and you DO get the serial in an email the instant your order goes through. Even if unintended, digital distribution by torrent to legitimate customers that costs you zilch is a pretty clever method. ;)

gp1628

Novice
WOW you are going to be pissed.

THE PATCH/UPGRADE IS OUT
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/ ... _page.html

Dom3Minions server will be down for patching. LLamaServer is likely to patch also. Now is the time to patch your copies. Unless its a torrent of course.

ALSO its on SALE. The biggest sale ever for Dominions 3. All the way down to $40 :roll:

Altho you might also be able to tack another 10% discount on if you are university or american military :salute:

Destroid

Arcane
Finally got around to playing this, it's fun, but damn the micromanagement is intense. Watching the battles to see how well all your stuff is doing takes too long too, and spellcasters seem to perform very haphazardly with the spell selection, especially with a big library.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom