Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

That thing Cleve was talking about - Let's Play SMT!

KalosKagathos

Learned
Wait until you get status effect ammo and AoE guns. The DDS guys would die of shame if they saw the stuff you can do with those.

spekkio

Arcane
I killed the Law Hero yesterday so I'm close to the end.

Finally.

Time to clean some bullshit our dear Kuroneko-sensei left in this thread.

:rpgcodex:

1) About the alignment. Info copied from gamefags:
Alignment is a number from 0-255
0-111 = lawful
112-143= neutral
144-255=chaos

Main character's alignment starts at 128. Law hero's alignment is 0, chaos hero's alignment is 255. Heroine's generally tracks the main character's alignment.

Things found to affect alignment:
-5 = try to save heroine during 2nd dream sequence (when you name her)
+12 = don't try to save heroine during 2nd dream sequence
-16 = beat Yama (in his courtroom) (when alignment is Neutral 128)
+1 enter the 'recover HP/MP', 'heal ailments' , or 'revival' menu of a Gaian temple and recover at least 1party member
+1 When alignment is 127 or below, enter the 'recover HP/MP', 'heal ailments', or 'revival' menu of a Kaifuku(healer) and recover at least 1 party member
-1 When alignment is 128 or above, , enter the 'recover HP/MP', 'heal ailments', or 'revival' menu of a Kaifuku(healer) and recover at least 1 party member (does not affect Heroine's alignment, the game will fix this eventually though)

Things that had no observable effect on alignment:
Killing monsters
Recruiting monsters
Summoning monsters
Entering a Gaia or Kaifuku, when lawful or neutral alignment
Buying items at a Gaia or Kaifuku
Donating 1000 gold to the unfinished Mesian church in Shibuya (likely finishing the church will affect alignment)

- It is possible that some of the items that didn't seem to affect alignment could do so once in a while, for example, killing 378 Messian bozos in a row might give a +1 alignment, but I wouldn't count on it.

- The obvious use (abuse?) of this if one wishes to shift alignment quickly is to enter the heal menu, heal one character, go back to the temple main menu, and repeat for the rest of the party. Or cast a random spell (MeDia for example), enter temple, heal MP, exit, repeat.

- I didn't actually test Messian temples, but they likely behave in a similar way. I'll probably get around to verifying this and tracking some of the other alignment altering events at some point. Maybe i'll even be nice and post them :P.
More alignment effects:
HP/MP, revive, recover status effect verified to give -1 in Messian temple. Purchase items/entry=no effect.
lift curse in all temples determined to work the same as HP/MP, revive, recover status, i.e. 1 point shift in appropriate direction.

-16 donate 10000 gold (10x 1000 gold) to complete the Messian temple in Shibuya. This is a 1 time shift.
+16 TokyoDestinyland Far left or Mid right options.
-16 TokyoDestinyland Mid left or far right options.

+32 defeat Haniel
-32 defeat Echidna
+80 agree to help Echidna/Gaians storm the Cathedral.

After defeating both Echidna AND Haniel, recovery in temples no longer shifts alignment. Also, defeating Broadcast tower angel doesn't shift alignment (not sure what would happen if this was done pre-Hanel/Echidna). Not sure when/how alignment would freeze on Law/Chaos paths.

No effect on alignment:
being asked by Echidna to defeat Haniel (neutral alignment at least)

Tested Chaos Temples for changing my alignment from L to N - took me some time but it works fine and is probably the easiest and always available way of changing alignment.

So... yeah...

:decline: of the Kitty.

2) Important alignment-related thingies:

a) speaking with Law Hero on 3rd floor of Shinagawa Building:

- L: you receive a quest to kill Echidna
- N: you receive a quest to kill Echidna, alignment switches to L
Tested - my hero went from N to L which made me

:rage:

- C: boss fight against Haniel

b) going to Ikebukuro and meeting Chaos Hero

- L: Yama sends you to prison
- N: Yama gives you a choice to join the Chaos cause. Depending on your choice your alignment will change to either L or C
- C: Yama sets you free

c) facing Echidna

She should give you a choice of joining the Chaos cause EVEN if you are L.
I was N (changed my alignment using Chaos Temples) and she did.

d) TDL's alignment-changing rooms

Troll-neko said:
You'll pay some makka to enter, and at the end of it you will come across one of four encounters depending how you go through it: An angel, a gaian preacher, a demon aligned with Law you must kill, and a demon aligned with Chaos you must kill. Depending on your initial alignment amd what you get at the end and how many times you enter you can get locked into either alignment and the game will no longer ask you anything at all when talking to Echidna, Haniel, and the Law Hero.

:retarded:

gamefagz said:
The whole point of this attraction is that it gives you an opportunity
to change your alingment. There are four entrances inside and going
through them will take you to four destinations. Two - Gaia Follower
and Gururu - will each shift your alignment heavily towards Chaos.
Two - Angel and Basilisk - will shift your alignment heavily towards
Law. So if you accidentally got knocked off the alignment you wanted
or if you are trying to follow Neutral path and have to recover
from massive alignment shift at Yama's trial, this is your chance.
If, however, you are happy with the alignment you have, I suggest
you avoid this place altogether.
So, going through one set of rooms doesn't necessarily change your alignment just like that (it just gives you + - 16 points). I was N, cleared one set of rooms and was still N after that (I just received 16 Chaos points.

e) bugs

I've encountered two bugs:

- not being able to buy guns/ammo in 1st gun shop (bought them using clean rom and hardware save, but this shop was still bugged when I got back to the translated rom - You wrote that using the original rom should fix this issue afterwards - it didn't).
- not being able to save the octopus from the zealot church girl (I was N so it triggers not only for L characters like some faqs state).

Thank god that I did not encounter the alignment-related bug you described on page 6.
But I'm p. sure you screwed sth up there.

:smug:

tl;dr

U suck.

Err, I mean:

:love:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Basically the only major problem of SMT is the fact that lightning/shock = godmode.

Someone should make a romhack giving immunity to shock to many demons and of course the bosses. I mean I killed the final bosses without even losing one hitpoint, wtf. Also reduce random fucking encounters. By half.

Btw, I've encountered the alignment bug twice.

spekkio

Arcane
Dealed with the old bitch. At last.

Bumped into another glitch on B2 of the Cathedral:

X2x5g.png

:?

Game crashes shortly after that.

Final pokemans:

kGPI6.png

Final party: Girimehkala (reflects damage), Lakshmi (healer), Lich (Zio), Zochoten (Tarukaja), Fag, Fagette.

During the final battle the Hero was hitting Asura Lord for 333 damage with each hit of Maskado's Sword.

And one more thing - the key to surviving the Cathedral:

a9fep.jpg

:troll:

Was doing 5-10 encounters on every new floor and turning this baby on after that.

sWBiU.png

Now to some Bandicoot Crashan.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That thing Cleve was talking about? Black Cat barely posted in GD, and she makes a reference to a GD meme?

There's a good chance she was Clockwork Knight; sorry if I am wrong.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
@ Spekkio

I can only comment on my own experience when writing an LP, as I, contrary to crawlers of less experience and skill, never use wikis nor faqs nor guides nor walkthroughs, and thus I have no way of knowing how things work under the hood. All the things I point on my Let's Play thingies are based on what numbers and mechanics the game show, what the manual say, and what do I experience myself.

@ Wyrmlord

I don't need to post on GD to know the memes. I only need to read it.

spekkio

Arcane
CB said:
loser lol
Butthurt detected.

KK said:
That's not the bro way. You can just run away if you don't want to deal with all that, you know.
Yeah. But using the code is faster - no encounters at all.

KK said:
Crash Bandicoot 2 is one of the best platformers ever.
True dat. Too bad that I'm talking about Crash 3 (the only one I haven't completed yet). Those time trials (optional, thank god) are total bullshit.

Also - Black Cat confirmed as Wyrmlord's alt LOL the other way around.

:obviously:

KalosKagathos

Learned
spekkio said:
True dat. Too bad that I'm talking about Crash 3 (the only one I haven't completed yet). Those time trials (optional, thank god) are total bullshit.
3 is the weakest of them, IMO. Not because of the trials, but because ND went overboard with gimmicky level types, some of which have nothing to do with platforming at all, like plane and racing levels. Still worth a playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom