Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic Vi

Suicidal

Arcane
The biggest thing I hated in HoMM 5 is that there was a simultaneous turns function but it was broken to shit. When we tried it out with our friends we thought "hey, that's pretty cool". When we played with this mode on, we each took turns at the same time, we could fight battles at the same time and we only had the wait for the slowest player to start a new turn, instead of waiting for everyone.

Then, in the middle of the game we got an error that said something like "synchronization error, game will now switch to standard turn-based mode" and we thought "oh, okay :(". When we tried fighting each other the game froze during battle. The synchronization error happened every time we tried playing with simultaneous turns on and every time it happened we would get a freeze when trying to battle one another. We had the latest version, I think and I saw some complaints on forums about this shit but nothing was done.

My biggest wish for HoMM 6 is that they have a simultaneous turns mode for multiplayer that actually works.

Also I've noticed that so far only 5 races have been confirmed for HoMM 6, that's pretty :decline:, hope they will add more

KalosKagathos

Learned
Suicidal said:
Also I've noticed that so far only 5 races have been confirmed for HoMM 6, that's pretty :decline:, hope they will add more
Gotta sell those expansion packs. It always looks good when the cover says that faction X was added because of the fan demand.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Don't think 5 races is that bad. If they implement the different upgrades as in ToE it's a good amount of variety anyway.

And yeah, it would be really cool if they found a good solution to making multiplayer not take so god damn long. Simultaneous turns were cool, but they ended a bit quickly(as soon as any player could affect another player) and then never got enabled again.

This video makes me think the game will be derp though. auto-morale for all friendly units that pass in its wake and turn loss enemy units? That's just.... :retarded: Will certainly be 'interesting' to see how the balance winds up.

Marobug

Never thought I'd say this, but now that I watched the video I'm actually curious about the game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
No reason to play it instead of Tribes of the East or an earlier Heroes game.

Marobug

Marobug said:
Never thought I'd say this, but now that I watched the video I'm actually curious about the game.

wtf, I thought I posted this in the south park rpg thread.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I actually had high hopes for the series after V. I always liked fairytalish setting of II, and overall, while your basic fantasy slowly shifted to copypasting everything what developers think is "cool" from Warhammer, Heroes were something different. No matter how dumb, I enjoyed gayish poem reading elf, arabic wizard (my favorite faction in Heroes series period.. maybe after Warlock from I with purple dragons), witty necromancer and even that moron Raelag. The VI.. just could't get into. I could't stand all that banal shitfest that was thrown onto me right from the opening. Boring "epic" intro, alienating interface, banal premise, and those stupid, stupid spiky shadows that seem to travel from one modern game to another just to lag the shit out of my PC. "Might Power", "Magic Power", "Might Resistance" or something.. because we play Heroes of MIGHT and MAGIC, YOU GET IT, RIGHT? Not SOME OTHER strategy, but MIGHT and MAGIC one.. ugh, give me a break.
And am I wrong or it became even harder to notice objects on screen and understand what actually happens in battle?
Heroes just should have stayed in 2D.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, the game actually stayed in 2D, it's only the presentation layer that is in 3D. Mechanics are as flat as they were.

I like some of the new stuff in this game (Sanctuary Faction, new stat system... um, graphics?), but overall it's worse than V and not even comparable to III. Novelty value allowed me to sit through one Hot Seat scenario (single player was never the series' strong point for me), but I don't really feel any incentive to start another one.

Teepo

Scholar
Fucking morons. How can you fuck up a Heroes game? Make it BBS. Can't even hire the original developers. This is like Red Alert 3 akin to Red Alert 2.

What I imagine Heroes 6 to be like is exactly like Heroes 5 but with less content. Is this true?

It doesn't matter. Why do developers always have to do restarts in sequels? You're supposed to evolve the game play not spin off new ideas.

Also 5 races rofl.

Shadenuat said:
I actually had high hopes for the series after V. I always liked fairytalish setting of II, and overall, while your basic fantasy slowly shifted to copypasting everything what developers think is "cool" from Warhammer, Heroes were something different. No matter how dumb, I enjoyed gayish poem reading elf, arabic wizard (my favorite faction in Heroes series period.. maybe after Warlock from I with purple dragons), witty necromancer and even that moron Raelag. The VI.. just could't get into. I could't stand all that banal shitfest that was thrown onto me right from the opening. Boring "epic" intro, alienating interface, banal premise, and those stupid, stupid spiky shadows that seem to travel from one modern game to another just to lag the shit out of my PC. "Might Power", "Magic Power", "Might Resistance" or something.. because we play Heroes of MIGHT and MAGIC, YOU GET IT, RIGHT? Not SOME OTHER strategy, but MIGHT and MAGIC one.. ugh, give me a break.
And am I wrong or it became even harder to notice objects on screen and understand what actually happens in battle?
Heroes just should have stayed in 2D.

Thank you, sir. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Achilles

Arcane
I don't really understand why people complain so much. I've played every Heroes game from II onwards, I love the series and I think that Heroes VI is a great game. It's got a decent story, classic gameplay, tough battles, interesting leveling system, and relatively high production values.

It's a really fun game honestly. I get that some people may be miffed about the reduced resources and other minor changes, but it seems really unfair to judge the game so harshly.

I urge people to give the game a fair chance. It's a good game.

Padre

Liturgist
Played it for some time and I totally disagree.

Story - dunno, I don't play this game for campaign, could not care less

Gameplay - some ideas are nice but the overuse of heal makes most fights boring and too long.

Levellng system - you have to be joking. That's the one single most retarded thing they could ever done. Now every might hero plays the same and every god damn time you are gonna choose the same exact perks because most of them are so useles you will be gimping yourself if you pick them.

High production values - doesn't even know what that mean. I won't discuss gfx or music, they are not so essential for my play experience but the overall amount of bugs and unpolished state really kills it for me.

Black Hole is sure taking their sweet time with the 1.2 patch that is rumored to fix many things. Has been what, 2 months now? And they can't even repair fucking luck and destiny with a lesser patch so that Inferno doesn't suck so much?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ What Padre said plus more. I gave the game a chance but there is not a single reason to choose it over V.

Padre

Liturgist
Well not exactly, AI moves considerably faster and if Black Hole is not lying they want to shorten the AI turn times even more. One thing this game did well. Shame about the AI cheating and behaving like a moron really.

Fryjar

Augur
Grunker said:
That much is true, I stand corrected.

The Eternal Essence AI patch for Heroes V doesn't only improve the AI itself significantly but also shortens AI calculation time by a lot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Haven't seen that one, but I'd be interested. The main reason I can't abide HoMMV's campaign is the loading times.

Achilles

Arcane
It's not really fair though to compare a new game to the older games plus expansions+patches+mods, is it? For what it's worth I think you guys are nitpicking, I'm all for high standards but maybe in this case they are a bit too high.

Padre

Liturgist
We are talking vanilla HoMM 3 and even vanilla HoMM 5 (or TotE, because I find this standalone better than the main game).

I know that 5 had a lot of bugs and issues but none of them stopped me from playing at launch because the game was simply fun. I loved the new skill system, loved the castles, the combat was fun.TotE just ironed most of the bugs and made everything better with alternate upgrades.

The problem is, Black Hole wanted a revolution instead of evolution. New skill system in V should have been tweaked and expanded, new abilities added with some balance changes and everyone would be happy.Throw in a new race, make 30 good MP maps, passable campaign, make it run rather smoothly on an average PC and voila! You have a millions selling title.

Instead they went for rather questionable decisions. Got rid of town screen (don't miss it much but we can all agree it was a very popular thing in the series, especially the gorgeous 2d in III) , made skills completely bland and uninteresting, said FUCK YOU to the fans by not including death knight as necro unit again. To top it all off, they reduced the number of resources to three, gave the castles zones of control over the mines, changed how weekly growth works while obfuscating the exact number in the town screen, along with creatures full list of stats and abilities before you buy the dwelling which is annoying as hell at first.

Last but not least, every MP fan got a huge slap in the face because they abandoned simultaneous turns in this one. I know that the system was flawed and would go bonkers in V but holy shit it was nice to play a little faster thanks to this. Again, should have upgraded the networking code for detecting interaction at which point it goes back to normal turns. Would it be so hard to do?

Game gives me a feeling half of the production time was spent on making this stupid ass cut scene where your hero chooses tears/blood path instead of addressing issues.

Sure we had some high expectations because we wanted something that would further develop the series, not something that rips everything we know because they want to try something different.

Want something different then name it something else and not fucking heroes VI. And while at it, why the fuck did they change the name? Not cool enough for hipsters these days?

Achilles

Arcane
Well ok, all those things really seem like details to me but I can understand why they would irk some people. Still, I had lots of fun with Heroes VI and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality turn-based game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom