Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Close Combat: Re-Released Harder

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Patch ]</strong>

Matrix is providing <a href="http://www.matrixgames.com/news/813/The.Close.Combat.Mega.Update.Is.Now.Out!" target="_blank">"Mega Updates"</a> for their updates to the <strong>Close Combat </strong>series.
<blockquote>Relaunch and Mega Update Improvements (CC Cross of Iron, CC Wacht am Rhein, CC The Longest Day)
<ul><li> Major improvements were made to the way vehicles and soldiers travel to way points and reach the end destination of both simple and highly complex, unhindered paths with a very high degree of success.</li><li> Soldier pathfinding was improved so that when soldiers fall behind (heavy weapon or momentarily lost) they plot their own path to successfully rejoin their team.</li><li> Vehicle driver and soldier decision making was improved to help them deal with unexpected obstacles (vehicle moving into their way , or wreck that was knocked out in the course of battle to block a path that was already determined), and get out of dead-end locations.</li><li> AI improvements were designed in concert with the re-designed pathfinder.</li><li> The "Bee Dance" of CC2 that was related to conflicts between the AI for the vehicle driver and the AI that tried to keep the team moving along the team's path that would result in a conflict about which portion of the AI to follow or "which way to go&rdquo; is resolved.</li><li> Many other minor improvements were made and reported bugs were fixed.</li></ul>CC Last Stand Arnhem-only Relaunch and Mega Update Improvements
<ul><li> The mechanism for borrowing teams from the reserve battlegroup was redesigned.</li><li> The Grand Campaign was redesigned for improved play balance</li></ul></blockquote>

Shannow

Waster of Time
Since it sounds as if Last Stand Arnhem already had the improved pathfinding, it'll be useless shit because LSA's pathfinging was atrocious...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
At least with Cross of Iron it does what these Matrix patches always seem to do. Improve some things while messing up some others. Tanks and vehicles now seem much better at moving around and infantry and heavy weapon teams that get split up seem to get to their destination a lot smoother.

However I had several infantry teams get totally lost while assaulting dug in defenses in two maps I played. Seems that as soon as wires and minefields and trenches get added to the pathing for them they just go haywire. Those maps were modded ones though, so it could be that there was something wrong in the map values. Dunno.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh great...Matrix is 'relaunching' the same fucking games for the third time now. Fuck them and their overpriced, warmed up shovelware. They are the EA of wargaming. A shame that there are so many middle aged, middle class, confederate flag boxer short wearing fuckers to keep them in business with such a bullshit model of operation.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not talking of their patch. I'm talking about their 'relaunch' editions of stuff like Cross of Iron. It's already a warmed up overpriced release of an ancient game. Now they are flogging it yet again?

"Close Combat - Cross of Iron

Release Date: 20 JUN 2011"

Holy shit what does that say? It's released in 2011 a month ago???

How many times is it being re-released?

Only thing I'll forgive them for is if Panzer Corps ends up being as awesome as Panzer General.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That's just empty spin. They update the core game with the patch and call that a relaunch even when the game has been for sale all along. Guess it sounds good to their marketing and pr peeps. Pretty retarded imo.

Do like the fact that they keep making these updates apply to all the (remade) CC games though.

PS: If you dig Panzer General go get PG Forever. It's a groovy and free remake.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Yeah, the remakes and special editions are kind of lame. But they do have good catalogue of other games. To bad I no longer have time to committ to lengthy and complex games. Which is why I am looking forwars to the WW1 grand strategy game and their Panzer General clone.

Phelot

Arcane
Eh... doesn't sound like it's worth going through another whole campaign for this. I was hoping it would make the game more difficult. Does it improve the enemy AI in Cross of Iron? I mean, do they actually attack and stuff now or do they still just aimlessly wander the map?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Seems they incorporated a lot of the AI features from LSA in it for the other remakes. AI's not very subtle but it does seem to go in force when it tries to get a VP. Human wave attacks with lots of tanks thrown in and woe if they've got themselves some mortars. With the GD mod that actually makes the game damn difficult as you're only having a small underpowered force at best and ze Russkies throw massive amounts of men and material at you. Campaign play so far was massively improved, but then again, the GD mod itself was build to provide a challenging game against the AI.

Still, it's the same old CC AI at its heart. If you want a real challenge play mp. It becomes a whole other game through it.

zool

Arcane
The mega-patches are just a compilation of the various beta patches released during the last year for WaR, TLD and LSA. If you've already got the beta patches, nothing to see here, move along.

I'm not sure about CoI though, as I don't own the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom