Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best American Civil War strategy/wargame you have played?

I feel like finally trying a US Civil war game/strategy game. Never been interested before, but after reading a couple of good books, I am primed and ready now. If anyone would care to name their favourites, and what makes them so good, I would appreciate it.

Marobug

There's ageod's American Civil War. I havent played it but people seem to like it.

Civil War Generals 2 is another pretty good game but it's already rather old so I don't know if you can find it.

Then there's the classic North and South, which I'm afraid you will only be able to run with dosbox but it's worth it.

Annonchinil

Scholar
http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/R ... sburg.html

Because it is a tactical game that focuses on campaigns and not just tactical battles. In many of the scenarios the armies must move to engage, use cavalry as a screen or as the eyes and ears. Many other Civil war games on this level just focus on the tactical battles with the lines already drawn up.

visions

Arcane
My brother used to play Rober E. Lee: Civil War General a lot: http://www.mobygames.com/game/robert-e-lee-civil-war-general
I never really got into it myself though. The mobygames user ratings look quite solid:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/robert-e-lee-civil-war-general/mobyrank

More recently he also tried American Civil War: From Sumter to Appomattox: http://www.mobygames.com/game/american-civil-war-from-sumter-to-appomattox
but I think he didn't like this one as much, also at first had some problems getting it to work on Win7.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've heard good things about Sid Meier's Gettysburg! or Antietam!, but never actually tried them. Doesn't seem like there were many games that focused on that part of history, even in the good old days.

torpid

Liturgist
The only civil war game I've played was Take Command: Second Manassas, a real-time game (with pause) where you play out different phases of the battle. If I remember correctly, you have a few maps available at the start, each depicting a part of the battle with a specific commander, and winning a victory unlocks the next map with that commander, which continues the battle chronologically (the battle took place over three days). The size of your command ranges from a few regiments to ten of thousands of soldiers.

Each unit has a commanding officer, and the game's schtick is that you can automate them to a degree, and then give them general orders that they carry out: attack, defend, flank left, flank right, etc. The highest commander, whose role you play (RPG!!1!), is also a unit represented on the map, and when you give an order to a subordinate, a messenger spawns from your character and gallops towards the order's recipient. This adds a realistic delay to your orders, and makes the positioning of your commander (who can be killed in battle) a strategically important decision. To top it off, messengers themselves can be killed and you then have to reissue the order.

This all sounds nice in theory, but to be honest I didn't automate anything and micromanaged the shit out of every regiment (regiments being the smallest unit you can control), so I can't really judge whether the sytem worked well. When it comes to the combat itself, it's what you would expect: regiments shoot in volleys then reload, flanking provides a big advantage, and your goal is to break enemy regiments' morale while preserving yours. Regiments have a fairly large but not unlimited amount of ammo, and you need to send them to your ammo cart(s) to ressuply. There's also artillery -- grapeshot owns -- and cavalry, which can charge in to break already weakened regiments.

I bought it on Steam back when I still used the service, and their version doesn't work unless you install the fan supermod/patch. Now there's no reason not to install that patch since it adds a lot of improvements, but just so you know, the Steam game doesn't work on its own.

Phelot

Arcane
Zarniwoop said:
I've heard good things about Sid Meier's Gettysburg!

I remember playing this, but can't for the life of me remember anything about it. Probably not a good sign, but I do recall enjoying it. I don't know why I haven't played it in so long.

LOL I hope I helped

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
screenshot748-2.gif

vlcsnap53012.jpg

North&South. Great fun

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
phelot said:
Zarniwoop said:
I've heard good things about Sid Meier's Gettysburg!

I remember playing this, but can't for the life of me remember anything about it. Probably not a good sign, but I do recall enjoying it. I don't know why I haven't played it in so long.

LOL I hope I helped

It's a good game, you should definitely try it, Blackadder. Nothing too complicated - almost plays like an RTS.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
asper said:
North&South. Great fun

Eh, it's okay, nothing amazing.

I'll give SSI's No Greater Glory a mention. It's purely strategy and a couple of decades old so don't expect a lot of frills. One thing they did well was politicians and generals having competency/loyalty stats that could effect the outcome of battles/political options. Here's a write up from some obscure blog.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
All of the above really. While many games are not that well known it is quite a crowded niche and most have a few things to like or that set them apart.

Anyway, the guy that made the Take Command games has split off and decided to make his own. It's pretty much the best rtwp simulation of a battle out there atm.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Age of Rifles

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom