Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Gothic is the only Gothic

Morkar Left

G1 was the better game for me, too. Atmosphere, consistency and the size of the world compared to a realistic environment made it better. And my motivation to overcome the barrier and take revenge to some people in the barrier was a far better motivation for me than. And beeing a weakling who makes it to the top made far more sense in G1 than in G2. Neverless G2 isn't far behind and G2+NotR gets extrapoints for more content.

1eyedking

Erudite
I, for one, agree with Konjad.

The first few chapters in Gothic 1 were fucking priceless and among the very best gaming experiences I ever had. G2 had better progression and exploration meat on its bones, but the story and atmosphere are nowhere near G1's beginning level.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
Gothic one beats the crap out of all parts regarding the first playthrough, mainly because you don't know the gameworld yet.
And the plottwist was delicious.
For the second playthrough Gothic 2 rules the day, undisputed. Especially with addon *drool*.
Risen was similar to a Gothic 1 with a worse story, and I have yet to replay it at all. I would probably rather start a new game of Gothic 2.
Gothic 3 shows some potential at parts, but damn, exploration fucks up the storyline.
On my first playthrough I swam to some islands on the horizon, exploring a little, and ending up in a major dessert town.
After that, continuing the main quest, I followed the wrong road and ended in Nordmar way ahead of time.
Also, I don't get how they could fuck up the faces that bad, even Gothic 1's low-poly mugs looked better.

Also: German speech is mandatory, big part of the atmosphere lies in it, and I pity the poor suckers who have to wade through the english version (although Risen is said to be a big improvement regarding this).

Marobug

I got gothic 3 for like 5$ a couple of years back regardless of the fact that I never played any other game in the series. Terrible mistake, the game was utter shite and I vowed never to touch anything with the gothic name on it ever again.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Marobug said:
I got gothic 3 for like 5$ a couple of years back regardless of the fact that I never played any other game in the series. Terrible mistake, the game was utter shite and I vowed never to touch anything with the gothic name on it ever again.

Play Gothic and Gothic 2 + NotR, they are excellent. G3 is shit indeed.

NotR > Gothic 2 > Risen > Gothic >>>>>> Gothic 3.

That's just the way it is.
I'm not even going to argue with your stupid opinions.

Metro said:
Risen 2 is the best Gothic.
Hopefully, if not tainted by "consolization".

P.S. Arcania is simply embarrassing, so let's pretend it doesn't exist.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Gothic 1 is kind of boring the only thing it does right is atmosphere.

You spend half the game as an errand boy and the other half as a hero who's actually an errand boy. The hero starts out retarded which is the only part of the game that combat is actually fun, then the hero's not retarded and combat's boring.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
meanwhileInPoland said:
never understood the phenome of gothic in potato land and ddr. :roll:
There was time I was wondering this myself, when people were fawning over both Gothics, while I considered the first game an average one (a great beginning and middle, and horribly disappointing endgame) and did not even feel the need to start G2 (only did that long after NoTR release).
But after a while it turned out there were not so many great RPGs released around that time (2000-2005), so I lowered the expectations bar and learned to appreciate Gothics and like them for what they are, decent ARPGs with good exploration, poor plot and clunky (but serviceable) combat, inventory and character system.

The plot is somewhat better in G1, so I consider this one to be the best. It might have a lot to do with G1 being the game that has introduced me to the world and its defining features, as I really like the aspect of learning about the setting in RPGs (this even saved ME1 for me). The protagonist starting situation as the underdog in an environment completely unknown to him also helped. G2, for example, started with the hero in a much more comfortable situation which was part of the reason I wasn't very eager to start playing it right away.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
we need a meta topic, where all of the final verdicts of these 100 pages discussion threads are collected. then we publish it as the holy codex manifesto and gain a casus belli for all the multiculti popamole loving traitors on the other forums.

it's also fascinating.

Leonard DeVir

Educated
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico said:
NotR > Gothic 2 > Risen > Gothic >>>>>> Gothic 3.

That's just the way it is.
I'm not even going to argue with your stupid opinions.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bullshit. Everyone with different opinion than mine is stupid. That's the fact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom