Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPS loves potato cock and hates the Codex

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, if we let only certain opinions be posted and censor all others it's only to protect our Dear Leader/the coprporations/the government/the church/the system/our Hivemind the general public from insidious, spitefull lies concerning the possibility of RT combat in early computergames. RPS are only jealous because they can't enjoy the freedom from of thought we do.
When Xenu comes to collect all human soulmatter who will stand in his way? Certainly not RPS! No, it will be we. We glorious few! We who know the truth! We who derive our power from firm belief in TB combat!
Some of Xenu's agents might try to stirr up the uneducated just because we cut off the eyelids of anyone who doesn't believe in TB combat but it's only to save the world as we know it!
RPS should be glad we censor all dissent. Dissent brings disorder. Xenu thrives on disorder!

*whisper*
What?
*whisperwhisper*
We don't censor even the crappiest opinions and RPS are full of shit?
*whisper*
Well, what did I get worked up all over if it's only a mainstream site being dumb idiots?
Nothing to see here, guys. Move along.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Gordon Freeman said:
To be fair, turn based combat is like black and white TV. It has it's charms, and there are films I cannot imagine in color. Yeah, now and again some arthouse movie can launch in black and withe. But it is clearly the thing of a past, has it's in-born limitations, and cannot be expected from contemporary franchise.

You sound like you started gaming when Oblivion came out.

Why don't you go and play through JA2 and then explain in detail how it is surpassed by the "contemporary franchises".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The parts where they complain about it being too difficult remind me of the bad old days of 2009 and Dragon Age (though I've also seen "easy is too easy" there which is nuts, particularly since they also complained about DA being too hard on easy). The people have spoken, you don't have to be Cleve to predict what CD Projekt is going to do for the next one.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Burning Bridges said:
Gordon Freeman said:
To be fair, turn based combat is like black and white TV. It has it's charms, and there are films I cannot imagine in color. Yeah, now and again some arthouse movie can launch in black and withe. But it is clearly the thing of a past, has it's in-born limitations, and cannot be expected from contemporary franchise.

Why don't you go and play through JA2 and then explain in detail how it is surpassed by the "contemporary franchises".

I think his knowledge about what turn-based combat is comes from Todd Howard's educational PR lessons so it's pretty hopeless.

Considering that real-time combat is older than TB.

Quilty

Magister
Gordon Freeman said:

How is it a thing of the past?

Let me guess: Because there are games in the past that used TB?

:retarded:

And try to elaborate on those in-born limitations. I feel like laughing at you some more.

Burning Bridges said:
Gordon Freeman said:

Indeed. This will do for a start.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Blackadder said:
Burning Bridges said:
Gordon Freeman said:

Indeed. This will do for a start.

That comparison he used is flawed anyways. Real time combat is like football while turn based is like chess, with the respective types of RPGs imitating what kind of audience those games cater to.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Turn based combat have it's place in the strategy games.
Face it: in RPG turn based makes the game less interesting. Where is the fun in pressing the button and watching your character to do the attack, then waiting for the next turn, while the opponent is attacking you. You surly see that this style of fighting gets boring in no time.

Another problem with classic RPG fighting is the fact that if you face stronger opponent, you are going to die. Then, you can too easily become all-powerfull. Just invest skill points in win-win stats, get the strongest attacks, and you can steamroll through the game.

Let's compare it with real time, keyboard-imput, fighting, like Gothic series. Instead of depending on stats, and lucky rolls of the dice, the fight is determined by real life skills of the player: you can move freely, change strategies on the fly, block and attack on your own. Stats of your character will be helpfull and dice rolls infuence the outcome, but it is not the sole determination. It makes the game more fair to the players who cannot be bothered with studying all sorts of walkthroughs and optimal build's guides.

Stats should, of course, have a great effect, as well as armor and damage of the sword. But game is far more exciting if building your character has more to it, then just adding some numbers to various equations.

Player's imput during fighting is the main adventage cRPG have over old school PnP RPG. Let's not squander it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
Among other genres yes.

Face it: in RPG turn based makes the game less interesting. Where is the fun in pressing the button and watching your character to do the attack, then waiting for the next turn, while the opponent is attacking you. You surly see that this style of fighting gets boring in no time.
OK you have a party of 6 characters. Now tell me how are you able to control them in real-time, accessing their spell-lists/using different gun-fire types in time, all at the same time?

Another problem with classic RPG fighting is the fact that if you face stronger opponent, you are going to die.
If the opponent is heavily OP yes.

Then, you can too easily become all-powerfull. Just invest skill points in win-win stats, get the strongest attacks, and you can steamroll through the game.
Win-win stats? Tell me which stats are win-win in, say, DnD? I'm so eager to know.
But are you going to die or not? Make up your own mind.

Let's compare it with real time, keyboard-imput, fighting, like Gothic series. Instead of depending on stats, and lucky rolls of the dice, the fight is determined by real life skills of the player: you can move freely, change strategies on the fly, block and attack on your own. Stats of your character will be helpfull and dice rolls infuence the outcome, but it is not the sole determination. It makes the game more fair to the players who cannot be bothered with studying all sorts of walkthroughs and optimal build's guides.
Yes it makes it easier for retards who can't read descriptions of what they select. Are you saying real-time is better for retarded people?

But again tell me how are you going to control more than one character in real time?

Stats should, of course, have a great effect, as well as armor and damage of the sword. But game is far more exciting if building your character has more to it, then just adding some numbers to various equations.
You mean like in 95% of real-time shooters-with-stats? Because they are all about +10 to hp.

Player's imput during fighting is the main adventage cRPG have over old school PnP RPG. Let's not squander it.

And old school PnP RPG does not allow any player input

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Gordon Freeman said:
Among other genres yes.

OK you have a party of 6 characters. Now tell me how are you able to control them in real-time, accessing their spell-lists/using different gun-fire types in time, all at the same time?
That is another problem with TB RPG. It tends to force the player to control entire party, while you can properly play a role of just one character. Anything more belongs to the strategy games.
Another problem with classic RPG fighting is the fact that if you face stronger opponent, you are going to die.
If the opponent is heavily OP yes.

Then, you can too easily become all-powerfull. Just invest skill points in win-win stats, get the strongest attacks, and you can steamroll through the game.
Win-win stats? Tell me which stats are win-win in, say, DnD? I'm so eager to know.

You dont know. That is exactly the problem with TB fight. You need either to read an optimal build guide or play through about 1/3 of the game, find out whats stats are important, then restart and create the build that can be fun to play with. In RT though, even failed build can be fun thanks to real life imput of the player.
But are you going to die or not? Make up your own mind.
Pick irrelevant stats, and you playthrough is going to be an experience in futility.
Pick winning stats, and waltz through the game.

Yes it makes it easier for retards who can't read descriptions of what they select. Are you saying real-time is better for retarded people?
How many times said descriptions tell you how much given skill is important in a game?
But again tell me how are you going to control more than one character in real time?

You mean like in 95% of real-time shooters-with-stats? Because they are all about +10 to hp.

And old school PnP RPG does not allow any player input
My point exactly. Unless we are talking Live Action RPG.
This is the main adventage of cRPG. It can have player input, without player running around with fake sword, among other retards.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
That is another problem with TB RPG. It tends to force the player to control entire party, while you can properly play a role of just one character. Anything more belongs to the strategy games.
Ah so you are a LARP'ing dumbfuck who doesn't really care about the game?
Having to use my brain to control more than one character doesn't let me LARP, git back to da strategy gaems

You dont know. That is exactly the problem with TB fight. You need either to read an optimal build guide or play through about 1/3 of the game, find out whats stats are important, then restart and create the build that can be fun to play with.
As I've said tell me about win-win stats and proper character builds in DnD?

In RT though, even failed build can be fun thanks to real life imput of the player.
Meaning all stats are win-win in real time games? Didn't you dislike it?

Pick irrelevant stats, and you playthrough is going to be an experience in futility.
Pick winning stats, and waltz through the game.
Tell me which PnP RPG system has irrelevant stats or winning stats and what are they

How many times said descriptions tell you how much given skill is important in a game?
All the time. When a description says that my fireball spell will now deal 20% more damage that's exactly what it will do. It takes a complete retard to get confused by this undeniably hardcore math.

But I still want to know how exactly a good system can have bad skills?

My point exactly. Unless we are talking Live Action RPG.
This is the main adventage of cRPG. It can have player input, without player running around with fake sword, among other retards.
But you are running with a fake sword in your Gothic game, just like those LARP retards - is that what you are saying?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Gordon Freeman said:
You first RPG was Oblivion, right?

MMXI

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:

Another problem with classic RPG fighting is the fact that if you face stronger opponent, you are going to die. Then, you can too easily become all-powerfull. Just invest skill points in win-win stats, get the strongest attacks, and you can steamroll through the game.

:what:

a budda

Arbiter
Gordon Freeman said:

not sure if serious
or is he?

Gordon Freeman said:

[...]

It makes the game more fair to the players who cannot be bothered with studying all sorts of walkthroughs and optimal build's guides.

THE GAME IS EASY ONCE YOU GET HELP FOR THE DIFFICULT PARTS

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Yes, in comparison to the exceptional control you can have over your character in real time combat, turn based combat is larping every time you spend action points. Why do people still pretend that a game that executes all the actions you specify while you wait for the next turn is more fun or challenging than doing it your way 100%?

Conclusion: Turn based games roleplay for you, but real time games let you do the roleplaying. Don't play the poor simulation of real time games with no challenge when you can play the real time games themselves my friends. Turn based? Fake based.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
My brian hurts.

Mine too.

Sometimes, I don't know myself when peaople here are trolling or not. It's as if being warped into different reality. The brian melts.

Luckily, I have my cure with me

tennessee_whiskey-7619.jpg

:thumbsup:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Anyone called kieron/an is a guaranteed nobber. Gillen sounds like a scottish or irish cunts name so double the arsebandit right there.

Scientific fact, i can't prove it but it is genuine fact.

Quilty

Magister
When Kieron left, I was pleased. Less pretentiousness could only help that site. If only that dick Walker would go away, I'd be even happier. His ideas about gaming have seriously hurt my brian on more than one occasion. I especially dislike his whiny way of writing, calling every second thing "stupid". Whimsical and come-what-may attitude in journalism only takes you so far, at some point you actually have to write something worth reading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom