Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's succeed a Dwarf Fortress! [Krash-ing for Fun!]

Destroid

Arcane
My current fort has a created wealth of over 28 million :smug:

a budda

Arbiter
UPDATAN?

sad-potato.jpg

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
He whom is next in line just use the old file and play? I mean it's a lost cause to wait for JagreenLem. He had his chance and things didn't work out. :(

Phelot

Arcane
I don't think Yeesh has been around for awhile. One of those on the list should PM him and see if he's still interested otherwise it would be heechee1 whom I also haven't seen around that much.

Cassidy

Arcane
Sorry but dwarves are not liberal enough to be fun...

j/k . If heechee1 also doesn't show up next weekend, I'll continue this.

Phelot

Arcane
Is Cassidy man enough to do like 50 LPs at once?

Also, will the Pimp of Pimps make an appearance at Anusblaze?

Cassidy

Arcane
phelot said:
Is Cassidy man enough to do like 3 LPs at once?

Sure. Any word on heechee1 yet? If OP agrees, I can start and post and update tomorrow or Monday.

Also, will the Pimp of Pimps make an appearance at Anusblaze?

Not really. No need to pollute Norse mythology with ragheads.

:rpgcodex:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
heechee1 didn't appear for his first turn and doesn't look like he hasn't been on the forum for a long time, so proceed when you're ready Cassidy :salute:

Cassidy

Arcane
I can't remember if the character was previously claimed, but anyway I believe it's customary to add at least a custom profession name to a claimed character.

==================

23rd Moonstone, 256, Early Winter

2mbfhy.jpg

From the Holy Scriptures of the Master Builder, Grand Revolutionary and Queen of Queens of Anusblaze and of all Dwarves, Avus Lirzas

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.

Deviltry has been afoot for too long. Through most of this this dark year of 256, Anusblaze has been ruled by a demon of decay and cowardice pretending to be the brave Jagreen Lern, whose spirit has for long gone from this world. I can feel there was more than merely greed from the apparent attempts of digging through the seas of magma in the depths. Perhaps nothing but a mistaken gut feeling, but since I've been enlightened as an avatar of the Master Builder on this world, I never mistrusted my own feelings.

This place is massive. At first people were skeptic when I suggested a new masterwork to mark forever the history of Anusblaze, but laugh as much as they want, through work and genius, I shall lead our people to a new age, and all those who may dislike it shall eventually die of awe in face of the glory of the master builder. The demon promised change, progress, but all he did was to lie while the Master of Decline Esterilith remained in her luxury. Her contribution to the management of this fortress was just a long time ago, and now she simply makes petty mandates and bans over things we can't even craft or bother crafting just for the sake of pompous paper-pushing.

Eventually, Esterilith has chosen to entrust me after the exorcism of Jagreen Lern, because she obviously still wanted more years of vacation before getting back everything through her own hands... vacations, the symptom of weakness, for those who have unwavering faith in the Master Builder would never spend YEARS on vacations, fleeing from duty and being nothing but pompous bearers of meaningless titles as they have long stopped doing things to deserve them. I promised that if I couldn't end the siege, I'd at least put in a solid plan for a successor should Esterilith decide to no longer want me in command.

The daily workings of the fortress are of little interest to me. My only interest are the Great Works I dream of.

TF2nk.jpg

Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Somehow, there was no book keeper, no one to keep an exact knowledge of the resources Anusblaze possess. Blasphemy! There is no space for mistakes of such level in the glory of the Master Builder's reign, and thus a humble wood burner is elevated to the status of book keeper. At least he'll be more useful and serve a greater purpose. Of course, this will require my first projects to ensure he's given appropriate quarters for his new responsibilities.

3faNL.jpg

Hopefully Esterilith won't be mad that the long corridor to her mausoleum won't be as exclusive as it once was, but all those who manage Anusblaze should stay close, so that future works to make their rooms more comfortable may be more easily built. I have discovered that water is a natural cooler of environments when in movement, and I am eager to test a water based cooling system for rooms through large adjacent tunnels to the same with constantly running water, but that will require a long time in construction, and most important of all, I'd rather not rely only on pump operators for all my great works. The waterwheel isn't a great priority right now, on the other hand, so it can wait.

cMDVs.jpg

Those who adorn themselves with gaud and finery do mock The Builder who maketh their forms. An' wilt they regret their choice, when the end comes.

By the Builder! I can't believe that, under siege, with limited ores, specially ores turned into metal bars that can be dipped in magma without melting, they were crafting Platinum statues instead of using such extremely important metal for the creation of greater works, like for example, pipes that shall bring the magma much closer to the living areas, allowing the magma furnaces and forges to be much closer to the living areas of the workers. However, I shudder from looking a stockpile reports. There is a terrible lack of materials from which to build metallic corkscrews for the pumps that won't melt. Thus I have ordered for most of the iron weapons not located in the surface, where the demon spawns lie, to be melted. Hopefully it will be enough to at least build a few pumps. I'm considering to build a carpenter's workshop next to a stockpile exclusive for Nether-cap, somewhere in Anusblaze, to fill in for the shortages. I suppose there is enough nether-cap in the caves now that my predecessors delved deep enough in them.

With the wisdom of the beyond, I begin planning the construction of the great works.

0atrS.jpg

The wisdom guided me to have a channel right above Esterilith's bedroom, to be covered by a floor hatch controlled by a lever, connected to the water channels that go all the way to the future pump that will be placed there. Who am I to question the Master Builder of the Master Builders? Thus I set the plan. I know most miners aren't particularly fond of Esterilith, thus I entrust them to keep it a secret as much as they can.

Nevertheless, the Opus Magnum of this section is the temporary flooding of the well room to move the water eastwards, until it gets below another pump that will be placed above. Once the rest of the works are done, a floodgate currently suspended will be placed to be activated when needed.

SNZYr.jpg

And The Builder said, 'If the foundation is weak, do you wail and gnash your teeth? Do you ask it to repour itself? Nay, you tear it down and begin anew. So shall it be with with all My Children, whether they be Stone or Flesh.'

The Master Builder's touch will be how the above pump will push the water eastward until it falls through a hole right over the now blockaded entrance of Anusblaze, where goblins and other abominations most likely lurk in waiting. However, the same hole from where water will fall when the pumps are on shall be connected through another passage for a liquid to pass through. And below it there is no river.

4ShS4.jpg

It will go down.

953QO.jpg

And down, and down, until it reaches the magma sea, and pumps will bring it all the way up, and through side tunnels to keep magma forges closer to the living quarters.

I SHALL PURIFY THE TAINTED LAND THROUGH FIRE AND WATER!!!! I SHALL MAKE OBSIDIAN OUT OF GOBLIN FLESH!!! FOR THIS IS THE WILL OF THE MASTER BUILDER!!! I SHALL CRUSH OUR ENEMIES AND ALL INFERIOR BEINGS UNWORTHY OF THE MASTER BUILDER'S BLESSING THROUGH HARD WORK RATHER THAN THROUGH THE DIRECT SLASH OF A BLADE AND REJOICE A NEW AGE OF GLORY!!!

AND AGE OF GLORY TO LAST A THOUSAND YEARS!

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Cassidy, I was digging to heaven! Where else would Dwarf gods dwell, but deep within the earth? ;)
(Actually I was looking for more metal, you should keep it searching, but the idea of me trying to dig into hell is great for the LP narrative)

But serious, thanks for the double-dose of LP today, Cassidy (and for sending my spirit back to the loving pseudopod embrace of the Outer Gods). I hope you can use the smelters I built to help you make Anusblaze as awesome as possible.

Phelot

Arcane
ALL HAIL THE MASTER BUILDER!!! ALL HAIL THE HEAT OF ANUSBLAZE!

Cassidy

Arcane
Building infrastructure to provide power to a megaproject like an around 30-levels tall pump stack and then transmit such power to it is one hell of a project in this game. But I decided to start with the power infrastructure first, the pump stack second, because the power will have to be built outside and walled off to prevent issues, while the pump stack can be built even during a siege. Just a question: Do I need to actually wall-off and build floor all over the magma ducts to prevent the magma from becoming obsidian as it climbs up, or can I get away without doing so, considering the entire duct will be underground without any exposed area?

In any case, I'm going to try it for real. Damn though I lost account of dating so I'll come up with an unconventional way of updating things without relying much on date of happenings.

Also wish I could but writing all of it in pig Olde English would be too taxing.

======================

The dating conventions of mortals are of little note to the Master Builder's writings, for they are, like all holy scriptures, timeless.

MjOIN.jpg

Then didst the Builder lay down His Hammer, and take His Chisel to hand. Smoothed he the rough gem, and shaped it to His will. For each task hath its tool, and every tool, a task.

Wisdom comes to those who seek it. I have uncovered that many of the basins within Anusblaze might have iron ores. Thus, to compensate for the lack of iron sources, for using adamantine to construct pumps is a blasphemous waste, many digs are planned in the hopes of finding a vein blessed by the Builder.

Slowly, the inhabitants of Anusblaze are seeking the light of the way of the Hammer, as they I gain their trust as the true avatar of the Master in this world. May all have their chance to atone for the sins and leave a lasting legacy for the Master Builder. Thus, a blasphemous idleness I detected in my watch, and to prevent the degeneracy, I set orders for many to become apprentices to the way of the builder as their current talents are of little use in the greater things to come. Nevertheless, only those who made their way in the crafts will be allowed to praise the Builder in the Builder's workshops.

ovOQ9.jpg

As repugnant as it to take from the Trickster dominion a wood that is quite certainly the result of unholy sorcery, the Nether-cap, through purpose and blessed hammers and nails the taint shall be purged, so that even the wood when turned to beam becomes a servant of the Master Builder than of the Enemy. However, many abominations lurk in those deep caves, servants of the horned false god ready to preach their message of chaos through blood.

No progress yet on finding anything except more silver for holy hammers in honor for the Master Builder. As much as there is a revulsion and a risk on not blessing properly the nether-cap, it is obvious the Builder has set upon us the challenge of building great works out of once tainted materials, for with every stroke of the pick, blessed brother of the holy hammer, the likelihood of hematite and other veins that can be melted into iron being found lowers.

MFjRH.jpg

vRcOZ.jpg

Beware the minions of the Trickster, for they revel in chaos. Seek they to undo thy works and subvert thy thoughts.

Thus, with insight, I order for three soldiers from every regular squad to patrol the darkest places where all brave woodcutters shall bring the gospel of the Master Builder, ready to smite the minions of the master of lies. May the light of the Builder always be with them.

Everything is working fine. Esterilith continues oblivious to the greater work of the Master Builder, and didn't blasphemously whine about the new room for the new bookkeeper. However, having straying too long from the righteous path, there is no longer salvation for the harlot queen. May the Builder have mercy on her soul once the time of her delivery comes.

kvYXz.jpg

The hand of The Builder is in the smallest pump, the tiniest axle, if they be worked well. The hand of The Builder is in the tallest pump stack, the grandest powerplant, if they be worked well.

Guarded by constant patrols, the woodcutters feel safe to give purpose and order to once chaotic creatures of the Trickster's domain. The great plan begins with its resources. Soon dozens of pumps shall be ready for construction, and the purifying flames shall climb through all the earth.

The world shall be purified. The enemies of the Master Builder cleansed. For that is His will.

b8EbN.jpg

The nether-cap proves plentiful enough for the need of searching for iron to become obsolete. The project begins and my brothers and sisters are eager for the justice of the Master Builder to be delivered to the outside world. Yet my mind does not forget that as much as hard work persists, the windmill and the waterwheel never fall sleep nor tire, and to risk the lives of over thirty disciples to pump the flames of purification would be a blasphemous waste of lives from the pious, for there aren't thirty, but only one Esterilith.

Ips3p.jpg

Reveling in debauchery and prideful mandates with no purpose or sense. For now, let her pride be satisfied, let her think the purpose of Anusblaze is to serve her pettiness. But once the light of the Master Builder comes, then finally, it will be too late for her to regret it. And upon such pettiness, I discover a brave warrior was arrested. The prison is not the foundation of purification, but instead the hard work is. Those beyond salvation deserve no piety, only the merciless stroke of a hammer, a sword or whatever is convenient at the moment. LET NO FURTHER INJUSTICE ARISE FROM REFUSAL TO SERVE THE PETTINESS OF A PRIDEFUL AND DECADENT BARONESS. LET TRUE JUSTICE TOUCH ALL, FROM THE LOWEST TO THE TALLEST, FROM THE WEALTHIEST TO THE POOREST.

lLVPW.jpg

I have entrusted the construction of the waterwheels to one of my disciples. May the Builder shine brightly through his hands.

(I forgot it's needed to dig brooks before building a waterwheel over them.... and that brooks can be crossed... OMG ITZ COMING!)

By the Builder! Why are these fools crossing the brook to endanger their lives? Why now? This must be a work of the Trickster! All able-bodied dwarves! To arms!

uaPho.jpg

And the Trickster with his venomous minions...hordes too numerous to name...but the worst is the human helpers of the Chaotic One...for they alone have the choice...and they have chosen oh so poorly....

THE TRICKSTER HAVE DAMNED THE WARRIORS WITH DUMBNESS WHILE HIS HUMAN WORSHIPPERS CHARGE! WHY CAN'T THEY ACT LIKE ONE, LIKE HAMMER AND ANVIL? WHY MUST THEY SPREAD APART AND CHARGE GREATER NUMBERS AS IF WISHING SUICIDE INSTEAD OF OBEYING MY ORDERS, AS AVATAR OF THE MASTER BUILDER, TO HOLD THEIR GROUND? HOW MUCH HAVE THE LOSS OF THE MASTER BUILDER SERMON BROUGHT IN THE WRONG KIND OF SIMPLICITY?

OAbD9.jpg

Having limited time, I rapidly follow through the wisdom of the Master Builder, and order the construction of a massive wall to keep off the Trickster unholy servants. Countless hands are called for this task of utmost urgency. May the Builder have mercy on us all.

RKokz.jpg

For the first victim of their legions will fall soon.

8AZf6.jpg

The most capable warriors are heading to stop what could become a feast of slaughter for the god of chaos and deception, while I rapidly scribe these holy reports of the work. May the Builder's grace bring victory to Anusblaze.

s3oI2.jpg

Stakud Odrozudil. The first of many martyrs in this great war against the heathens. I consider for a moment to get off the Mechanic worshop and grab a hammer so I may help fighting the good fight, but how could Anusblaze carry on without the presence of the Master Builder? Thus I resign myself to fight the good fight, with clockwork.

iIUt2.jpg

Thanks to the Builder, the siege is over! The coward demon worshippers cowered in face of the unremitting bravery of those who serve the holy cause and retreated to their cursed lands! Finally some respite. Finally a chance to begin the construction of the network of axles and gear assemblies that shall distribute the power to the grandious work of the Builder!

wOeRj.jpg

O Master Builder! We ask Thee to bless our brother who hath died in Thy service. Forgive him the transgressions of his living days, and look with favor on his works in Thy name. Plumb and plane, fire and forge, purify his spirit and draw from him all which does not meet Thy plan. Take him to serve with Thee in Thy Home where he may rest in peace eternal.

May those many who gave their lives in this battle never be forgotten, for their sacrifice ensures the victory of the holy hammer against the heathens and the continuation of the glorious project of purification of this cursed land.

trvs7.jpg

Enough components have been built that finally, the construction of the pumps shall begin, the pieces in the masterwork of holiness and purity. Thus it begins. At the same time, the people celebrate the end of the siege, for I have, with the blessing of the Builder, led Anusblaze to a blazing victory. In time, the project carries on, and once done, no more shall die to defend Anusblaze for through hard work and determination it shall make us invincible, purging all the blasphemous scum with liquid fire and liquid water.

HGGnB.jpg

HOW DARE YOU TO SUGGEST SUCH WASTE OF ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS FOR THE BLESSED PERFECTION OF IRON INTO STEEL? WEREN'T THREE INANE BUCKLERS SUFFICIENT? FEAR NOT, FOR THE BUILDER'S JUDGEMENT IS COMING FOR YOU SOON, MASTER OF DECLINE.

M1pWD.jpg

No matter how little the word prosperity rings yet over Anusblaze, a few came. Most lacking the touch of the Master Builder and instead possessing worthless abilities or limited skills in the worthy crafts.

1. Asob Asmellisid, a compentent Miner, marksdwarf and archer, and also a talented negotiator. The fact he is a High Master Glazer is of little relevance for the current needs of the Master Builder. Another miner is welcome, however, and in spite of the losses among the marksdwarves, the lack of enough miners prompts me to spare her from the risks of militant duty for the Builder.
  2. Ber Unalkol, skilled speardwarf. She will serve the Builder through the defense of the great works from the forces of Chaos.
  3. Doren Nirmafol, a talented mason, she is truly blessed by the Builder. Another important asset to help the great works.
  4. Edzul Arkurkilrud, an accomplished metalcrafter and competent brewer, she will truly shine through Anusblaze.
  5. Limul Nebelilral, a talented gem cutter, competent persuader, novice hunter and novice mason. To engage in the creation and display of gaudy gems with no practical utility is to mock the Builder, thus she better learn the true art of the Builder well.
  6. Nomal Risennokgol, a novice fish cleaner and bone carver. Though bony is not very holy, through blessing it may serve a purpose, but Nomal is a woman of little skill, who will need a long apprenticeship to truly earn the grace of the Builder.
  7. Ustuth Godenrovod, a talented fisherman and surgeon. His medicine shall save even the most gravely wounded disciples from certain death, and although humble and not really critical, his craft is another means of providing food for a growing population, provided the Trickster's carps are banned through faith before they can damn him.
  8. Zasit Libashisak, a novice metalcrafter, she has a lot to learn like the other novices before earning the grace of the Builder.
  9. Zefon Gemsitushat, a novice Thresher, his skills worthless in the greater plan of the Master Builder, but blessed he be to not have spent too much time improving on a worthless craft. Thus another apprentice in perhaps masonry, but only for building walls rather than crafts until his skills get better.

Wg3dM.jpg

For a change, I remember the mundane calendar for these events. The new year of 257 has arrived, and it's Spring. Hopefully the great project shall be finished in time.

7xF63.jpg

The Trickster minions are among us! Beware! Prepare yourselves to defend from this demonic infestation! What does the devil want? Why did this foul spirit seize one of the workshops?

332ckrc.jpg

May the Master Builder forgive me for my grievous sin, for I have mistaken his holy inspiration for evil. The craft was not an end in this blessing, but a means to an end, for after concluding this throne, Onol Onulirtir became a High Master Mason, an obvious sign of the Builder's blessing to us for the greater plan at work! PRAISE THE BUILDER!

The waterwheels go fine, even though the network of axles and gears to bring such movement to the pumps shall be costly to build, and challenging to engineer. Hopefully in time before the vile Trickster minions return.

Sw2pG.jpg

Let my hand be steady, oh Builder, let my hammer fall in righteousness on the brows of heathens and miscreants, oh great Master Builder....

Abandon your hammering of the Builder's project, and ready your hammer for smiting the impure! For they have arrived again! We must be ready to stop or destroy the vile servants of the Trickster!

hDVfk.jpg

We must not allow them to destroy the great project of the Master Builder, and smite them as many times as it takes to conclude this great work! The waterwheels are fortunately safe, for the brook was dug deeper to block the foes from trying to use the waterwheels as a mean to invade our sanctum, and above it all the slopes leading to the upper ground have been removed as wisely the Builder requested.

mx5dv.jpg

However, many great challenges of engineering lie ahead, for the stack of pumps to bring the holy flames to the surface will need additional infrastructure in the form of magma-proof floors and walls to get from the ceiling to the floor of tall caverns, for where a farm plot have other places to be built at, this great work must be precise, and along a few deviations because even further down they would otherwise end touching an underwater river, axles will be needed to link the power between the pumps.

I am however ready for the challenge the Builder has given me to build functional means to reduce the long trips to magma forges by putting them much closer to the living quarters, and to smite the foes with fire through the same pumps. But first, the foes must be smited by the blades and hammers for as long as they lie outside, the works to bring the power to the pumps will have to be interrupted.

I don't know how long this will take, but I will definitely try. The Trickster's minions know their end is nigh now that the Master Builder has cometh, thus why they launch so many raids so oftenly. We shall prevail and wipe them out from this world, including all their children for they are tainted by nature, not nurture, and thus the final solution to the Goblin question shall proceed.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Good job breaking the siege!

Also, what did you actually do with my guard captain dwarf. You just remove the custom name, or did you find a nice way to kill him? And if you going to kill Esterlith, come up with a creative way to do it. Perhaps you could build a magma incinerator room at some point?

Cassidy

Arcane
JagreenLern said:
Good job breaking the siege!

Also, what did you actually do with my guard captain dwarf. You just remove the custom name, or did you find a nice way to kill him? And if you going to kill Esterlith, come up with a creative way to do it. Perhaps you could build a magma incinerator room at some point?

The guard captain wasn't blamed for the ghost that possessed him and thus is still alive.

As for how to deal with inane mandates, I'll just show it when the time comes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom