Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rngers 2 - Wowza

Balor

Arcane
10000?!
Give it a few years - and you'll be getting more for one FedEx mission :).
You were playing it for a few hours only, I think?

Screaming_life

Liturgist
RuySan said:
just wondering... does anyone uses rocket launchers? I just thought it was a big expense to reload them and the payoff wasn't that good, so i wonder what the big advantages are.

Well, for one they have great range so if you've got a fast ship you can be flying away from dominators out of their range and still be causing them damage.

RuySan said:
And i do think that repairing is too expensive. i never get too amass that much money (more than 10000) to buy a new hull. I think that's the only problem of the game

yeah it can seem a bit steep early on but as Balor said you get loads of cash later on. At the moment, asking for harder missions i'm getting around 45 000 for very simple missions. Also if you watch the news channel thing they'll often report big price cuts on stuff. It's not something i bothered with too much but i did make 40 000 from a single transaction once.

Balor

Arcane
Also, some micromodules have VERY decent bonus to missile damage, and since you'll be launching three rockets at once, you'll be getting 3x damage bonus! Of course, nothing beats Vertics, yet it's very good for the start of the game.

RuySan

Augur
but now i have 2 artifacts that give bonus to energy weapons, so i gave up rockets for now.

One thing that annoys me (it happened twice already) is when you have a mission of destroying a ship, and after chasing the ship, it lands on a planet where is arrested:(

Anyway, i don't remember having so much fun with a game the amiga (or with the first 3 HOMM games)

Balor

Arcane
Well, don't you think that's it's rather smart of him?
Better be imprisoned (expecially since judges in SR universe are really forgiving, heh) then dead :).
I recommend you to use either slowing weapons, or artifact that gives your cannots slowing ability, or simply outfit yourself with so powerful guns that you'll be able to defeat the opponent in a few turns.
If you don't have above requirements - better stay away from 'search & destroy' missions for now.

RuySan

Augur
i've got this artifact that turns down my defenses and raise the power of my energy weapons in equal measure. Even with that the guy managed to escape. But yeah, i think i will avoid those missions for a little while.

Another thing that happened was that i was supposed to make a delivery to a planet, and that planet was hostile towards me, and i really don't know why. That's probably because it was a Peleng planet, and i'm an human fighter, but even so its too harsh

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Balor said:
I recommend you to use either slowing weapons, or artifact that gives your cannots slowing ability, or simply outfit yourself with so powerful guns that you'll be able to defeat the opponent in a few turns.

yeah... once i had a pirate that would keep landing everytime i got near to destroying him so i attacked him with just a single weapon while flying away from any planets, luring him away... then when i was far enough out, blasted him with full weaponry! (i did have good defence though)

Halenthal

Liturgist
Early in the game-like right at the beginning-if you pick the missile launcher you'll have a big advantage. They are fairly expensive to reload, but they rock as far as weaponry is concerned. Later-much later-you'll find that you and everyone else can outrun rockets, so they're not that great at that point, but early on they're spectacular. Their advantage is to fire and forget with incredible range-quite often you'll send two or three salvos before the other fellow has closed to knife fighting distance for his weapons to work. Rockets also damage other ships they run into, so if you've got a pack of aliens on your tail and three launchers spewing missiles as you run away (or in a big circle) the missiles will start connecting with a lot of ships. If you run out of ammo in the middle of a fight, switch the empty launcher out for another weapon and go after'em.

It IS difficult to get enough money for a new hull, especially considering that the basic hull you start with (no matter what race) it's one of the best in the game. Just having all the equipment slots is a big plus for a hull.

Jed

Cipher
I just started playing tonight. Pretty awesome, so far I love every aspect, even the ground battles. One snag I've run into so far... I can't seem to figure out how to sell equipment. There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the manual. Oh well, I guess I'll have to check into the in-game manual next time I play...

PS- What classes are people playing? I've started with merchant twice, but I'm thinking about starting again with either a Merc or a Fighter for my "real" game... any opinions on what the optimal experience is?

EEVIAC

Erudite
You can sell items from your ship screen (keyboard shortcut "s".) Just pick up the item from the bottom and drag it over to the sell button on the left of screen. You can also store equipment by opening the "storage" button - you'll get a note listing all the equipment you have in storage and on which planets they're stored on the main screen. (Note that bases can be destroyed and if you've stored loot there, it's gone for good.)

As for the "optimal play experience," there isn't one. You play how you like, that's why the game is so good. Some of the classes give you better or poorer relations with races at the start of the game but they don't limit what skills you can take and you can change your initial skills to your preference anyway.

Balor

Arcane
Well, actually, the best of getting cool loot and lotsa exp is, logically, fighting dominators.
However, you must be stocked with pretty good weaponry (and, preferably, artifacts) for this - so it's reserved for mid-late game.

RuySan

Augur
Does anyone uses probes? I got tired of using them since the expenses of repairing them and the ship after landing on these planets exceded the gains. I wonder if its possible to get cool artifacts this way. The best i got was 2 units of drugs:)

Balor

Arcane
It's possible.
Also it's possible to get cool (up to the best) micromodules this way.
So, it's worth the effort.

bryce777

Erudite
RuySan said:
Does anyone uses probes? I got tired of using them since the expenses of repairing them and the ship after landing on these planets exceded the gains. I wonder if its possible to get cool artifacts this way. The best i got was 2 units of drugs:)

The only problem with them is you need a really good tech skill to get any large number of probes. You can find good artifacts this way, but I prefer to just use the wormhols to get artifacts.

I seldom seem to get good micromodules by any means, and some of the ones like strongster are pretty amazing.That and a universe ultraplasmstic and you can get 37 armor + 60% shields. Add a decent droid and nanitoids and you can wistand any fleet in the game withe ase. Add some UHMO 9000s and you can liberate systems in a dozen turns.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Jed said:
PS- What classes are people playing? I've started with merchant twice, but I'm thinking about starting again with either a Merc or a Fighter for my "real" game... any opinions on what the optimal experience is?

I started as merchant but during the game my class changed to merc and then fighter... not exactly sure why but i put it down to my gaining more kills? (or maybe it's down to the ship type you have?)

Balor

Arcane
I seldom seem to get good micromodules by any means, and some of the ones like strongster are pretty amazing.That and a universe ultraplasmstic and you can get 37 armor + 60% shields. Add a decent droid and nanitoids and you can wistand any fleet in the game withe ase. Add some UHMO 9000s and you can liberate systems in a dozen turns.
Well, yea, I've killed Blazer all by myself using similar setup, heh.

Jed

Cipher
Screaming_life said:
I started as merchant but during the game my class changed to merc and then fighter... not exactly sure why but i put it down to my gaining more kills? (or maybe it's down to the ship type you have?)
I started another character as a Fighter, but oddly enough I ended up with identical equipment to my Merchant character. Strange...

AnalogKid

Scholar
Screaming_life said:
The title you have depends on the actions you take. If you kill merchents you'll start towards Corsair and then Pirate. If you kill Dominators your title will move towards Hero. If you trade a lot of goods, your title will move towards Merchant. You get the idea. There are a lot of titles and I'm not sure about all the intermediate "mixed" titles (e.g. a Fighter is someone that mixes Dominators and civilian ships as targets). The point is that the title doesn't determine anything, but rather tracks whatever actions you take. The entire game is very cool like that.

As for starting gear, each race/class has a starting setup that are different from each other, but sometimes in very minor ways (like how much cash you start with, or if you have some extra trade goods in storage at the beginning, or your race relations) it's not always your ship that's different.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Fired it up and played about 5 hours last night

Started a Human Pirate figuring it be a fast track to getting cash and maybe a new ship
I took a weapon and scanner bonuses only to find putting them in my ship
left me no room for cargo, so I had to sell the biggest weapon

tired a planetary mission early on a didn't really dig the RTS ground portion
glad to see you can completely avoid it by asking not to be offered those mission, I may revisit later in a new game.

I abandoned that plantary mission and was totally suprised I was immediately sent to jail for 75 days, and played the whole daily prison mini game which took me a good 30 mins to complete for 75 days. it was hilarious and I made about 3k while in Jail

Failed alot of missions due to my engine not being powerful enough to get where I needed to be within 60 days, eventually I picked up a sweet engine spd 480, range 22
size 20, added a micromodule. Using the speed boost I can outrun most people I encounter if I get in a jam with a fuel cell in the hold my travel time is greatly improved.
Killed a few other pirates, completed some quests, won medal from the Malogs
probably going to start over again as I think I tried to do too much to soon.

Scanner is coming real handy, havent figured out how to make use of probes / droids or these nodes things yet. Dominators just slaughter immediately, So I have been staying away. depsite my score being around 3k for 5 hours still in the bottom five of the Rangers. guess that ok as I'm a Pirate.

Good Stuff.

RuySan

Augur
i'm in a really bad plae now in the game. For some reason, some time ago, a peleng battleship attacked me, and of course i had to defend myself. Over time there were more and more peleng battleships attacking me, and i destroyed some more. Now i'm a pirate, and i have bad relationships in most planets, and Maloq battleships also attack me. If i pay for the offences, only in that planet the opinion about me is better....so i don't know what to do.

It's not easy to fight pirates if i have a battleship shooting at my back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom