Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hasbro And Atari D&D Rights Settlement

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
<p> </p>
<p>From <a href="http://www.wizards.com/Company/Press.aspx?x=wz/press/54&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1">Wizards of the Coast News</a>:</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p>HASBRO AND ATARI RESOLVE DUNGEONS & DRAGONS RIGHTS DISPUTE</p>
<p> </p>
<p>August 15, 2011 (Renton, WA) &ndash; Wizards of the Coast LLC, Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) and Atari, S.A. announced today the settlement and resolution of the complaint against Atari, S.A. and the counterclaims filed by Atari, S.A. against Hasbro, Inc. filed in December 2009 in regards to the Dungeons & Dragons brand.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Digital licensing rights for Dungeons & Dragons have been returned to Hasbro. Atari will continue to develop and market several games under license from Hasbro and Wizards, including the #1 Xbox LIVE® hit Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale and the upcoming Heroes of Neverwinter for Facebook. Additional settlement details remain private.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In addition, the acquisition of Cryptic Studios by Perfect World Entertainment Inc. from Atari in July 2011 has delayed the Neverwinter PC Game scheduled for release later this year. Perfect World will be investing in a more immersive experience for release in late 2012.</p>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>
<p>Which now leads us to wonder, what publisher Hasbro will approach for future D&D titles? Zenimax? EA? CDProjekt? SquareSoft? So many to choose from...  </p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>Thanks Anonymous!</em></p>
<p> </p>

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
All D&D has going for it is nostalgia anyway.

Even if for some reason a real RPG developer got hands in D&D, it would be 4th ed. which everyone seems to loathe.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Personally I'd be interested in a turn-based 4th ed. cRPG. But that isn't likely to happen.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Crooked Bee said:
Personally I'd be interested in a turn-based 4th ed. cRPG. But that isn't likely to happen.

I SO wish. But no, it's all about Mass Appeal to the General Public. SO more and more shitty Action games with a RPG tacked to the description.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They can try Obsidian with their new Dungeon Siege III Engine.

tindrli

Arcane
RK47 said:
They can try Obsidian with their new Dungeon Siege III Engine.

they can even try something 2D .. it would still be waaaaaaay better then DSIII

Shannow

Waster of Time
DalekFlay said:
I almost want Bethesda to get it because they would likely contract Obsidian to do a game.
And then we'd get "Black Hound: The Dungeon Siege 3 experience". Thank you, but no thank you.

D&D mechanics are dead for AAA or even A titles. All that's being used are the settings, most of which are shit even before you put them into a popamole game.
The only D&D games that interest me have nothing to do with Hasbro or Atari, etc. (new version of Incursion and KotC2, yay).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Excidium said:
which everyone seems to loathe.

Loathe? 4th Ed. has all the right ideas but the wrong execution. They started with a "so maybe static classes were a bad idea and pathfinder had a point" and ended with a "we must have less meaningful choices, less complexity and less branching!" Sadly. BUT, fourth edition is a GM's heaven. It's more fun to play 3.5, but DMing 4th edition is awzum if you understand how to use the tools given to you.

catfood

AGAIN
Grunker said:
Excidium said:
which everyone seems to loathe.

Loathe? 4th Ed. has all the right ideas but the wrong execution. They started with a "so maybe static classes were a bad idea and pathfinder had a point" and ended with a "we must have less meaningful choices, less complexity and less branching!" Sadly. BUT, fourth edition is a GM's heaven. It's more fun to play 3.5, but DMing 4th edition is awzum if you understand how to use the tools given to you.

Yeah, I still hate the samey feel of the classes. I initially thought that having them balanced like they are would improve the game experience but it ended up feeling stale. I think I prefer imbalanced classes that allow you a different game experience. It's funny because there is variety WITHIN the classes, but very little variety ACROSS them.

And skill challenges are just huge bullshit.

And I'm with the others who said that a 4e TB CRPG would be fantastic, if only for the fact that you no longer need to bring up all those buffs before a battle.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
YES! YES! YES!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEES! THAT MEANS HASBRO MAY NOW MAKE PONIES IN DUNGEONS & DRAGONS SETTING! PLANESCAPE PONIES!
fluttershy__yay_by_zutheskunk-d3e8usb.png

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I would kill for a good 4th ed d&d TB computer game. I would even buy an ipad to play it, which is probably our most likely scenario for a TB game...

Radisshu

Prophet
Jaesun said:
Crooked Bee said:

I SO wish. But no, it's all about Mass Appeal to the General Public. SO more and more shitty Action games with a RPG tacked to the description.

Possibly as a cellphone game.

Unless Atlus acquires the D&D rights, hurr

Breaking Axe

Educated
My dream would be a sandbox GURPS turnbased RPG with mods and multiplayer similar to NWN as far as customisation is concerned.

Shemar

Educated
Re: Hasbro And Atari D&D Rights Settlement

Jaesun said:
Which now leads us to wonder, what publisher Hasbro will approach for future D&D titles? Zenimax? EA? CDProjekt? SquareSoft? So many to choose from...

Who cares? The only DnD games they seem capable of making these days are action/MMO worthless montrosities. Even a RTwP game would be too much of an abomination.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I still can't believe Daggerdale was no. 1 in the Charts. I pity the fools who were craving for a new D&D game and bought this one blindly.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
Crooked Bee said:

I'm sure that 3 good multiplatform turn-based games would have outsold D&D Heroes, Daggerdale, and Demon Stone.

Angelo85 said:
I still can't believe Daggerdale was no. 1 in the Charts. I pity the fools who were craving for a new D&D game and bought this one blindly.

When was it? It was top five on Live arcade for maybe a month or two like just every RPG that is released on Live Arcade.

Shemar said:
Who cares? The only DnD games they seem capable of making these days are action/MMO worthless montrosities. Even a RTwP game would be too much of an abomination.

Atari was just dumb.
KOTOR and Dragon Age proved you can sell rtwp and Lost Odyssey is proof that you can sell TB games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom