Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Diablo III Interview with Leonard Boyarsky

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III; Leonard Boyarsky

<p>Leonard Boyarsky - of Troika fame - works as a designer at Blizzard as most should know and he just <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6455/interview_the_world_design_of_.php" target="_blank">had a chat</a> with Gamasutra concerning <strong>Diablo 3</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>In your long career of working on different franchises from <em>Fallout </em>to working with Vampire: The Masquerade, you've definitely dealt with very passionate, vocal fans. Would you say that's given you thicker skin for coming into <em>Diablo III</em>?</strong></p>
<p><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p>LB: [laughs] Yes. You would definitely have to have thick skin, because there's always going to be people who don't like what you've done or are objecting to your latest decisions. So, you get used to it after a while. Try not to take it too [personally]...</p>
<p>It's a double-edged sword because it's very helpful to hear what people have to say, how people see things and what people want to see from a franchise, whether it's one that you created or whether it's one that you're carrying on.</p>
<p>It's not to say that we always have to blindly follow what the fans want, but it's nice to know what the fans are looking for, if that makes sense. [It's important to know] what people are expecting, what people are looking for, the questions that they feel that they need to have answers to. Because if you don't deliver on at least some of those things, then you've kind of failed.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104259-diablo-iii-interview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
And I love his titties

diablo_3_leonard_boyarsky.jpg

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Morgoth said:
And I love his titties

It must be cold out on the red carpet.

When people were bitching about the alleged "HORRIFICALLY BRIGHT COLORS" of D3 in comparison to the previous games, I chalked it up to whiners whining but after seeing the screens in that article... jeez. Definitely a strong WoW influence in that shit.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Menckenstein said:
Morgoth said:
And I love his titties

It must be cold out on the red carpet.

When people were bitching about the alleged "HORRIFICALLY BRIGHT COLORS" of D3 in comparison to the previous games, I chalked it up to whiners whining but after seeing the screens in that article... jeez. Definitely a strong WoW influence in that shit.

D3 changed very much since then, you don`t need sunglasses anymore to play.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Morgoth said:
They should have made Leonard the art director of Diablo 3. Instead, they chose the WoW faggot style.

Even Starcraft 2 is way too colorful.
Yes, color outside of brown and gray are completely inappropriate in computer games.

Phelot

Arcane
Spectacle said:
Morgoth said:
They should have made Leonard the art director of Diablo 3. Instead, they chose the WoW faggot style.

Yes, color outside of brown and gray are completely inappropriate in computer games.

I would say the brightness is probably fine, but it certainly has a WoW look about it. Kind of cartoony. What do I care though, I never got into Diablo.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Drog Black Tooth said:
Yet another smelly and sweaty nerd. How fuckin' typical.

Tell me more about your abilities to reduce an individual to a single apathetic and self-absorbed comment, this is indeed a most spectacular show of wit, I am highly amused

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Serious_Business said:
Drog Black Tooth said:

Tell me more about your abilities to reduce an individual to a single apathetic and self-absorbed comment, this is indeed a most spectacular show of wit, I am highly amused

Ha! Yeah, especialy when 95% of us (the codex) are smelly sweaty nerds with manbobs. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
AlaCarcuss said:
Serious_Business said:
Drog Black Tooth said:

Ha! Yeah, especialy when 95% of us (the codex) are smelly sweaty nerds with manbobs. :smug:
Speak for yourself. I would never let myself sink as low. I despise fat people, they have no self control.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Drog Black Tooth said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Serious_Business said:
Drog Black Tooth said:

Ha! Yeah, especially when 95% of us (the codex) are smelly sweaty nerds with manbobs. :smug:
Speak for yourself. I would never let myself sink as low. I despise fat people, they have no self control.

I was.

I did say 95% - Ok, so you're a bulimic smelly sweaty nerd then.

Anyway, if you had a brain in your head you would know there can be lots of causes for obesity other than a lack of self control. Not speaking personally of course, I happen to be perfect.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't like to comment on other people's games. I liked the Fallout 3 stuff that was done. One of the most interesting aspects of it... I started as an art director on Fallout 3 [the cancelled version known as "Project Van Buren" at Interplay], and I did a little art on it, so it was interesting seeing a lot of art that I had done recreated in this different space by different artists, but, you know, they obviously bought this license, and they had a love for it.

So, he was the art director on Van Buren? I thought he wasn't working at Interplay at that time.

DakaSha

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Drog Black Tooth said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Serious_Business said:
Drog Black Tooth said:

Ha! Yeah, especially when 95% of us (the codex) are smelly sweaty nerds with manbobs. :smug:

I was.

I did say 95% - Ok, so you're a bulimic smelly sweaty nerd then.

Anyway, if you had a brain in your head you would know there can be lots of causes for obesity other than a lack of self control. Not speaking personally of course, I happen to be perfect.

No sympathy for fatties.

attackfighter

Magister
Morgoth said:

Yeah I totally agree. Graphics wise, StarCraft: Brood War was like Alien(s), while StarCraft 2 was like Avatar or StarWars The Phantom Menace. In other words StarCraft 1 was stylistically bleak, industrial and grim while StarCraft 2 was a bunch of lasers and shit flying everywhere as the computer "artists" jerked off over their own technology and furiosly added more colours, more bloom and MORE EXPLOSHUNS *graphic designer has a heart attack* in order to elate themselves to ever higher levels. StarCraft 2 was basically the spiritual successor to WoW in RTS form.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
fizzelopeguss said:
Dude is slamming weight on.

I always imagined him to be a tall, skinny, long haired, hippie.

If anything the hours they make them work and the garbage food they give, instead of allowing them to have a life, I'm surprised he can get out of his own house.

And I can't believe he is still working on that clicky, clicky, game. Is it 5 years now? What a waste of life.

Araanor

Liturgist
Jedi Exile said:
I don't like to comment on other people's games. I liked the Fallout 3 stuff that was done. One of the most interesting aspects of it... I started as an art director on Fallout 3 [the cancelled version known as "Project Van Buren" at Interplay], and I did a little art on it, so it was interesting seeing a lot of art that I had done recreated in this different space by different artists, but, you know, they obviously bought this license, and they had a love for it.

So, he was the art director on Van Buren? I thought he wasn't working at Interplay at that time.

It's the editor being a dunce. Leonard must be talking about Troika's pitch for Fallout 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom