Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Sim/Management games?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Well, why? It really is a surprisingly good and fun game. Get over your prejudices.

Captain Shrek

Capitalism 2

Sid Meier's Railroads!

I would like to hear more about patrician 3/4 though.

Quilty

Magister
If you play Rollercoaster Tycoon, play the first one. It has the most charm.

I enjoyed Patrician 3 as well, it's a very good game, but you have to find fun things to do. The game won't offer everything it has upfront, you have to work a little to get to it.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Captain Shrek said:
Capitalism 2

Sid Meier's Railroads!

I would like to hear more about patrician 3/4 though.
From what I understand Patrician 4 was the shit game by the new studio that ruined the franchise, or something.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gragt said:
RK47 said:
sgc_meltdown said:
princess maker 2

:smug: I've fathered many daughters in that game. Sweet weaboo RPG.

Great game that is fits just right on the Codex but is maligned because it's Japanese. Heck, we even have avatars for Doom and Duke Nukem 3D but not Princess Maker 2.

:rpgcodex:

Gragt, why are you into the game? Does it also let you father nieces?

Paperclip

Liturgist
laclongquan said:
Medieval Lords look pretty interesting. Anyone here play it yet?

Yeah, I remember that making money in the game is quite hard.

The game isn't grid based so you have far more flexibility in building your cities but this also has a drawback, namely that you would probably be less efficient in using space. At the same time, in order to be successful at this game you have to be efficient.

The range of a service isn't determined by some arbitrary circle but by road length. I like this.

I wish that the graphic was more vibrant.

laclongquan

Arcane
Best sim management is probbably Startopia.

You can say the 8 missions of 10-mission campaign is the tutorial of the game. Never before could you see a better tutorial ever designed like that. 9th mission teach efficiency: Make money efficiently or get fired.

But the challenge is either in playing the Randomizer mission, or play beyond mission 9. In randomizer you get a random mission every 30 unit of times, the hardness depend on the amount of space you occupy and the randomness. Most fucked up is prolly having a corresponding number of plants for the Alien environment. Easiest is prolly producing some amount of stuffs.

Startopia, a glittering gem of forgotten past. Dont know if its makers are still in the industry making games.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
laclongquan said:
Best sim management is probbably Startopia.

You can say the 8 missions of 10-mission campaign is the tutorial of the game. Never before could you see a better tutorial ever designed like that. 9th mission teach efficiency: Make money efficiently or get fired.

But the challenge is either in playing the Randomizer mission, or play beyond mission 9. In randomizer you get a random mission every 30 unit of times, the hardness depend on the amount of space you occupy and the randomness. Most fucked up is prolly having a corresponding number of plants for the Alien environment. Easiest is prolly producing some amount of stuffs.

Startopia, a glittering gem of forgotten past. Dont know if its makers are still in the industry making games.
:bro:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Never heard of Startopia before, looks nice enough, and made by ex-Bullfrog.

Only name I can find these days is Mike Diskett, he is still in the industry it seems, at THQ.

https://plus.google.com/114830840899603307889/about

Very nice article, about Bullfrog being screwed by EA and the founding of Mucky Foot Productions:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_146/4839-Footprints

For McGechie, staying at Bullfrog was becoming untenable. "The EA rule book was brought in. I remember Gary and myself getting told off for running in the corridors," he says.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dungeon Keeper is still a lot better than startopia. Space hotel is nice, but nothing stands against being a pure evil lord slapping your minions :M

Norfleet

Maybe if there was a taser, so you could go and tase your minions in SPACE?

If you want Roller Coaster Tycoon listen to codexers and definitely play first one. It's not like sequels are bad but I'd look at them only if you want moar after beating original. Well other than obvious picks like TT I can recommend already mentioned Trade Empires and Sid Meier's Sim Golf. Not most convoluted games by far but enjoyable nonetheless.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Norfleet said:
Maybe if there was a taser, so you could go and tase your minions in SPACE?

shit son I'd play the fuck out of Galactic Tyrant, the sequel to dungeon keeper

where you manage your palace of filthy alien scum and fuck up Rick Rocket and the Star Squad with neutron mines and death rays when they tunnel in shouting catchphrases

laclongquan

Arcane
Konjad said:
Dungeon Keeper is still a lot better than startopia. Space hotel is nice, but nothing stands against being a pure evil lord slapping your minions :M

Oh yeah? Can your Overlord starve your employee/guests to dead? make them die of exposure? loneliness (which is euphemism for alien 'blue ball')? eaten by the gru... er, the monster you breed? Can you, at your whim, infect your whole station full of guests and employees with Alien Plague and watch them all drop like flies?

DK only good as apetizer for Startopia.

Johannes

Arcane
I played this railroad management game set in a fantasy world as a kid (and sucked at it), any idea what it would be called and if it is actually any good?

I remember at least that you could build rails both on the surface world plus in a cavern world beneath it. But not really much else, but the setting seems cool at least what little I remember of it.

Paperclip

Liturgist
I hate the fact that we are limited to rectangular rooms in Startopia. I wish that they gave us more freedom in designed a room, the game would have been more fun.

Garmik

Novice
Best one, Dwarf Fortress.

Also worth mentioning, besides the other already mentioned in the thread:
SimTower, I really enjoyed this game.
Evil Genius, provided decent amounts of evil fun (not evil as dungeon keeper, but still!).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
As much as I like the idea of Dwarf Fortress, the interface is just incomprehensible and the developers obviously have no plans to improve it. I always get frustrated after a few hours of play.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I don't like Dwarf Fortress, sorry.

Anyone know how to get Theme Hospital to not crash in Windows 7? I'm torrenting Windows 95 right now (30 fucking MB!! seriously!!) to install on a virtual machine. Compatibility modes don't work, obviously.

edit- the Windows 95 torrent gave me a bunch of files the VM can't use to install. Great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom