Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing KotOR for the first time, does it get better?

Sacculina

Educated
I’ve finished Kashyyyk, Tatooine and Korriban, and just fought Malak. So far, I’ve been underwhelmed (Taris and Dantooine; had most fun playing Pazaak), somewhat interested (Kashyyyk; Jolee), disappointed (Tataooine; HK-47), vaguely interested (Korriban; sith backstabbing), and utterly disappointed (sith ship; ‘dramatic revelation’).

This is one of BioWare’s most beloved RPGs, so what am I missing here? The writing’s mostly bland, and occasionally cringe-worthy.The only character I like is Jolee. The combat’s a chore; there’s no fight that can’t be won by haste + critical hit + duelling and/or Jolee’s lightning. I don’t get it--how can people possibly think KotOR2 (broken though it was) is inferior to this?

But having made it this far, should I soldier on? Is Manaan worth playing through? Or should I just uninstall the game and play Thief Gold for the seventh time instead?

The first one is more for fans of Star Wars than anything. Kotor 2 is where shit gets good in its own right.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Keeper Deven said:
one of BioWare’s most beloved RPGs

sir I take it that you enjoy BioWare's other works and therefore are surprised by this turn of events

Renegen

Arcane
KOTOR isn't that bad. I replayed both games about a year ago. The game was underwhelming when it came out when compared to all the other RPGs I had played, and it probably feels a little bit underwhelming now, but it's still deeper than the current generation of games. My favourite are the very 3rd edition D&D rules, the approach to equipment, how each party member is unique and the diverse planets you visit. For example, on Kashyyk, the Wookies are slaves. The water planet Manaan is also very interesting. The characters are also diverse.

KOTOR 2 makes all the best parts of KOTOR 1 better, they were very specific. Each character is more unique in how they handle in combat, they are more weapons and abilities, each character has better background, the story is better, your own jedi can grow even more powerful in different directions, the world is still very interesting.

MMXI

Arcane
Keeper Deven said:
But having made it this far, should I soldier on? Is Manaan worth playing through? Or should I just uninstall the game and play Thief Gold for the seventh time instead?
Manaan is probably the most interesting location but it still sucks like the rest of the game. Knights of the Old Republic II is just as shit. Skip the whole series. Piss poor "RPGs".

Sacculina

Educated
sgc_meltdown said:
Keeper Deven said:
one of BioWare’s most beloved RPGs

sir I take it that you enjoy BioWare's other works and therefore are surprised by this turn of events

No, I'm just surprised at how consistently disappointing BioWare 'classics' have proven to be. Baldur's Gate 2 seems to be the only truly great game it's ever made.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a nice game, but I can't understand how so many people pretend that it's the best thing since sliced bread, that it's the epitome of RPGs. I guess this is what you get when people who only play action games start reviewing RPGs: "And then I went to that place and they made me choose between a good and evil conversation choice. Holy shit! This is some deep RPG stuff!"

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Keeper Deven said:
No, I'm just surprised at how consistently disappointing BioWare 'classics' have proven to be. Baldur's Gate 2 seems to be the only truly great game it's ever made.

tried jade empire yet? writing aside it deserves one go at least

Angthoron

Arcane
in kotor you can press a button, maybe x or something, and you'll swing your swords in the air. keep pressing and it feels better, almost like an awesome button precursor.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
it was called the flourish button

I think mass effect 3 should have one too where you clickclack your gun and stuff

is it too late for me to organise a petition at bioware social

TripJack

Hedonist
no not really and the fish planet is probably the worst of the 4 as i recall, you have to do some shit with some court trial that really doesn't matter and then you run around really slowly underwater for awhile to do some shit and make some goodie two shoes choice or make the ultimate evil doer choice

but if you play for a little longer you get the chance to murder carth and most (not all) of the other shit characters so that's a plus i guess

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
sgc_meltdown said:
it was called the flourish button

I think mass effect 3 should have one too where you clickclack your gun and stuff

is it too late for me to organise a petition at bioware social

I think you might get the petition in for ME3. Or maybe you should make a mod?

Sacculina

Educated
sgc_meltdown said:
Keeper Deven said:

tried jade empire yet? writing aside it deserves one go at least

Wackamole gameplay and stat-building bling aside, Jade Empire was all right. It isn't on anyone's top ten cRPG lists, though.

Matt Barton said:
10. Knights of the Old Republic. I have to admit the bulk of my appeal for this game comes from its setting in the Star Wars universe, which I love almost as much as Middle Earth and Krynn. There were times playing this game where I felt I had actually entered that universe and was a part of something bigger than the game itself. It seems to me that after this game, Bioware cut the cord and went Action, Action, ACTION. There's some of that tendency here, but compared to Dragon Age and Mass Effect, at least this still reminds me of a true CRPG.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
KoTOR's beginning is pretty weak, but the game gets better after You become a jedi.

KoTOR 2 is still better, though.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
racofer said:
Gosling said:
It's the shittiest Bioware game. (Haven't played DA2 though)

DA2 is like... 1E10 times shittier.

And DA, ME, ME2 are no better either, to be fair. At least kotor had lighsaborz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom