Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Orchestra: HoS is available for purchase on Steam

Steve

Augur
Played it about 10 hours yesterday and I love it. The guns feel excellent like in every tripwire game and the new countdown mode is a lot of fun, especially with a group of friends.

I have mixed feelings about the tank system, the tankcrew bots are pretty much braindead and its best to have 2 friends to be your hullgunner and driver. Most time when you get shot by another tank it either kills your crewmember or destroys some component inside. Its frustrating to have to suicide when your loader dies or when your optics or turret gets blasted since without those you are pretty fucking useless.

The combined arms map was much more fun than the pure tank only map, we completely dominated the germans with 2 fully human crewed t34s working together.

Also there are still lots of bugs in the game and I doubt they can iron them all out before the release

Today's patch fixed the server browser and it works now just fine, finally I can find a realism server.

Oh yeah, the cover system is a completely pointless feature, it feels clumsy, you dont really need it besides for blindfiring which is not very effective.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I find the entire 'this is hardcore' aspect that they are pumping so ferociously laughable. I mean, iron sights and one shot kills were already in place in MOH mods years ago. It looks just like a fun fps. Nothing more, nothing less.

sah

Liturgist
Where have the devs used the word "hardcore" to describe their game?

Exmit

Scholar
RO2 is not 2nd coming of fpses, Skyway is mostly right

ITT: Typical kodex thread.

Why would you want more? You mean like "very" fun fps?

Forgotten hope 2 on bf 2 is very fun, and it has planes! 7 years since first RO mod on UT and they still cannot make planes like in old battlefields.

MapMan

Arcane
Exmit you fucking retard. It's not they "can't" - they just don't want to, its a design decision. You can't simply add airplanes to a game and not change everything else. Choices and consequences bitch. Having planes in a game doesn't make it instantly better, it makes it different.

Secretninja

Cipher
MapMan said:
Exmit you fucking retard. It's not they "can't" - they just don't want to, its a design decision. You can't simply add airplanes to a game and not change everything else. Choices and consequences bitch. Having planes in a game doesn't make it instantly better, it makes it different.

Are you telling me that the world isn't better now that airplanes have been invented?

I'm betting next you will say the world was just as good when people had to get oxen and load up a wagon and shit to get to Oregon.

:smug:

Exmit

Scholar
MapMan said:

They can't, they are shitty devs that is all, having tanks also makes it different because you can kill inf without problem and you cannot kill tanks with inf without problem.

RO2 SO REALSTIEK U SHUT 6 SHELS INTO E TENK BUT THER IS NO AEPLENE BEKAUES WW2 HAD NO ARIPLENEEES HERP :retarded:

Annonchinil

Scholar
Tanks do not have HP. So it does not matter how many hits it took, if they did not penetrate. Its similar to Combat Mission, except less complex (I think) ballistics modelling.

sah

Liturgist
Trash said:
A wild fanboy appears!

Just asking a question. I don't feel like re-watching 2hrs worth of video material to look for your "hardcore" reference, so I'll just point out that it feels to me the devs are not marketing the game dishonestly. I get the hardcore vibe mostly from fans. Sure, RO is not a milsim like ArmA/OFP, no one is saying that. But it's much more realistic than the average "realistic" shooter. It may not matter much to the Kodex, but it matters a lot outside of it.

They can't, they are shitty devs that is all, having tanks also makes it different because you can kill inf without problem and you cannot kill tanks with inf without problem.

Realistically, a plane could fly over an entire RO map in a few second, at which point it would have to turn and keep cyrcling/flying over this (relatively) small piece of land. That sounds pretty dumb, don't you thinkg? Planes and helicopters made sense in OFP/ArmA, where you had entire islands. Even then, they felt pretty small once you were airborne.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've got a question. If Arma 2 is supposedly so realistic, why can't you spin really fast and have the bullets curve like in Wanted? Bullet physics my ass.

Quilty

Magister
I tried the beta today. It felt good, like a proper, old school shooter. Not much more than that, though. They weren't aiming for innovashun factor anyway, so I guess it's mission accomplished for the devs. The whole experience did feel a little stale, like I'd already played the game years ago (and I never even played the first ro all that much). Kinda sucks that every thing, every map and every character is either light brown or gray. Makes for pretty boring maps imo. The textures look washed out and dated, and I'm running it all on ultra.

To summarize: PREORDERED MY COPY OF BF3 BROS :M

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Played the beta for about 2 hours, put in a ticket to have my pre-order cancelled. Good grief, what an unfun game. What's funny is seeing people say the game sucks in the chat and then a dozen tards tripping over themselves to shout GO PLAY COD CODFAG with the voice of a thousand derpways. There were a couple people on several servers who got served literally that verbatim

FPS games online just suck right now. They reward people who are bitches. Do you like to camp with a sniper rifle and never move? Then this and all the Call of Derps and Battlederps are for you. It's so boring, I miss RTCW. I can't stand games designed in a way that rewards people for being Jewish. You know what type of online FPS I want to play? One that has no sniper rifles. Oops I just described the least popular online shooter made.

I have Ostfront and I had forgotten why I stopped playing it. It a pixelhunt game.

Steve

Augur
Annonchinil said:
Tanks do not have HP. So it does not matter how many hits it took, if they did not penetrate. Its similar to Combat Mission, except less complex (I think) ballistics modelling.

Most of the time the shot penetrates killing a crewman or damaging the tank, the problem here is the tank system where you keep spawning as another crewman if you die inside a tank

So basically you have to keep shooting a tank until it runs out of crewmen or blows up even though its completely disabled and cant fight you back.

Destroid

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Played the beta for about 2 hours, put in a ticket to have my pre-order cancelled. Good grief, what an unfun game. What's funny is seeing people say the game sucks in the chat and then a dozen tards tripping over themselves to shout GO PLAY COD CODFAG with the voice of a thousand derpways. There were a couple people on several servers who got served literally that verbatim

FPS games online just suck right now. They reward people who are bitches. Do you like to camp with a sniper rifle and never move? Then this and all the Call of Derps and Battlederps are for you. It's so boring, I miss RTCW. I can't stand games designed in a way that rewards people for being Jewish. You know what type of online FPS I want to play? One that has no sniper rifles. Oops I just described the least popular online shooter made.

I have Ostfront and I had forgotten why I stopped playing it. It a pixelhunt game.

I agree, snipers are bad. At least in BF games they need a headshot for one hit kills and you can always take them out wth a helicopter or something.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Most of the time the shot penetrates killing a crewman or damaging the tank, the problem here is the tank system where you keep spawning as another crewman if you die inside a tank

What the fuck? That's dumb even from an arcade shooter perspective.

I've got a question. If Arma 2 is supposedly so realistic, why can't you spin really fast and have the bullets curve like in Wanted? Bullet physics my ass.

Because bullets don't curve like in Wanted IRL no matter how you spin?

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Okay, ive put in 9 hours into the Beta so far, only issue im having is it crashes when I try to join a full server, and the random ctd that happens once every few hours.

So far im loving Territory mode on FallenFighters, even though my average pc isnt fast enough to join game and select marksman, I did well enough with a regular rifle to get a battlefield promotion and take the marksman. You can also carry two weapons, so set up near your marksman, and if he gets pegged, nab his rifle before it despawns, or go hunt the enemy marksman. Refill ammo at the ammo dump by having the weapon you wish to refill equipped, and have fun.

So far im getting my arse handed to me in tanks, I dont like Gumrak much, im bad and am not that interested in testing tanks, ill leave that to other testers.

Countdown mode can be fun, so long as you stay alive, not so much fun for those that die, they get to sit and bitch and whine and cry, very annoying. Good team communications is essential, sadly, pub players, a most hideous creation, give the game time for the kids to fuck off, community should be decent, what with the chaff being sorted and all.

Firefight mode, oh, how I love to spawn right in the open, fresh as a baby born with the wits to match, to get ripped apart by an MG nest. Fuck that shit, if you get a good camping spot, your team will spawn around you, I suggest finding a great MG hole, and digging in, have a bro to watch your back, and the enemy will come to hunt you down and use up their respawns.

Im enjoying the beta greatly, cant wait until all the bugs are ironed out and it goes live proper like. Im happy with a dev that is making a game for PC, offers a SDK, and is not owned by Activision or EA. Its not so much that its competing with BF3 and MW, its that those games will have the kids flock to them because they dont have the patience to stick with RO and love it because its not cowadoody arcade shooty.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
In two of the game modes (Territory and Countdown) classes are restricted. In the Firefight mode, you are able to choose your class freely without limitations.
I like this mechanic (that also did exist in RO 1 btw.), prevents too many COD Sniper fags and you get more diversity on the teams.
Also as Pika mentioned, you are able to pick up weapons and equipment from fallen soldiers.

If you do perform well on a map, you are offered a promotion, this lets you freely select a class of your choosing (and beeing a jerk the same time, by kicking some other player that currently uses that class you want out of it).
It is also possible to vote someone out of their class.

Btw. Pika: the AI Gunners on tanks are quite competent. You can order (default key is 'f') him to attack a specific target and he will get the job done in no time.
Through this commanding method you can also order the driver to drive to a specific location.

Secretninja

Cipher
I love the idea of promotion, I usually use mine to get elite rifleman. I fucking hate the marksman class, I cannot shoot anyone with it. I do really well with the bolt action with iron sights though, and even better with the semi auto.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Secretninja said:
I love the idea of promotion, I usually use mine to get elite rifleman. I fucking hate the marksman class, I cannot shoot anyone with it. I do really well with the bolt action with iron sights though, and even better with the semi auto.

I love the idea of promotions as well, the idea that you get rewarded for playing well is a nice tough, you dont have to accept them if you are a class you prefer, and it also means that if you missed out on the class you wanted you can work harder to earn your spot (or vote the incompetent out). After playing a bit with the sniper ill have to agree, the scope tends to zone you into a very small area. I much prefer the bolt action as it provides a much larger view of the battlefield so you can spot movement, however the advantage of the sniper is seeing the bastards more clearly when hiding in the shadows. Ill try the carbine a bit and see how it works, then might hang out near/tk a sniper and steal his weapon then go camp it up. I get more kills with the bolt action than the sniper, but I counter sniper better with the scoped rifle, time to scavenge the battlefield.

Can only carry two weapons of one slot it appears, I died whilst trying to load up with a rifle, SMG and HMG not checking my flank, but 2 rifles should alleviate any issues with having to reload when facing a force pushing a point.

Cheers for the info on tank AI Angelo, I knew that they were there, but most of the time id hop in a tank as a hull MG because I get people dead from driving too close, so the AI driver would just sit still. I guess he needed directions, or a GPS lady 'in 500 metres turn right' nagging in his ear. Will give it a try, was planning to take a bro into an empty server and screw about with tanks to learn them a bit better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom