Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's blindly play Space 1889.

juggernaut

Educated
best box art ever? sign me up for whenever!

name: J. Nautilus

portrait: monocle

attributes:
3+ strength
4+ agility
4+ endurance
1+ intellect
3+ charisma
5+ social

careers: navy x2

skills: pilot, gunnery, leadership

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Crooked Bee said:
still rollin', BC?

I can't wait for the next update :P

Rolling can take some time, I remember when I wasted 3 hours rerolling my stats for BG2:SoA to get 4 18s one 14 and one dump stat. Good times.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Let's play SPACE 1889: Now REVIVED!

1: Introduction

control2_new.jpg

:o

assuming_control.jpg

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

01space02.png

Welcome Miss Bee, our new party's dumb blonde middle-class leader. Rebelling against the suffocating atmosphere of her parents' milieu, Bee turned to anarchism -- first theoretically and then practically. Her high agility, intellect and charisma allowed her to quickly become one of Britain's most subtle master criminals and accumulate an ungodly amount of pocket change. Bee's skills are varied, as is to be expected from one of her profession. She possesses a wide range of combat abilities, being especially good at using her fists (against dirty male chauvinists constantly trying to make advances at her, of course). She knows the ways of stealth, crime, long travels, observation and eloquence, making moderate use of theatrics and linguistics when need be. Her leadership capabilities are, well, okay, and she can even use an explosive or two in case of emergency.

01space03.png

Next meet Pariah Zeal, a monocled gentryman who, having been trained as a doctor, later put his keen observation skills to good use in the Navy. Appropriately for one in the Navy, he loves fisticuffs no less than Bee, except his punches are naturally heavier and, hopefully, more deadly. He possesses some humble piloting and trimsman experience, and that'll have to do, hopefully. (If not, tough luck; this LP is dead anyway.) His knowledge of mechanics and especially medicine makes him an invaluable member of our group.

01space04.png

Welcome also Earl Kazgar, an aristocratic Foreign Office diplomat-turned-scientist (with weight-lifting as his hobby apparently). I spent so much time re-rolling his stats to get a high Intellect stat to accompany his high social standing that it isn't even funny; aristocracy is dumb, true story. Kazgar has decent science and engineering skills. As a diplomat, he is stealthy, eloquent, observant, and knows how to swing a deal favourably his way. In other words, a true patriot.

01space05.png

Finally, meet Miss Faith who, ashamed of having backed out on leading this adventuring group to death from hunger and exhaustion to glory, now trails along at the back of the group, looking for thingies to ride, hunt, or shoot at. I had to make her a big game hunter instead of an adventuress because I wanted those tracking and fieldcraft skill badly. And the stats are the best I could -- finally -- roll after having wasted, it seemed, thousands of re-rolling attempts. (The game was mean and just wouldn't let me power-build the last party member.) Faith's marksmanship skill is the best in our party, so firearms ahoy! Let's also hope that, somewhere deep inside her, a witch's alchemy abilities lie dormant; we could use a molotov or two, for sure.

01space07.png

Without further delay, let's get this party (kinda) started.

01space08.png

01space09.png

Steampunky!

August 3, 1889 -- Journal entry

01space11.png

I must admit that the exhibit was more fascinating than I had ever imagined. The brilliance of the solid gold jewelry, the detail and precision of the wood carvings, and the delicacy and perfection of the alabaster sculptures sent a pulsating wave of emotion through my body. Memories of days long gone, of adventure and intrigue, came rushing back with surprising clarity.

For a time, I believed I could settle down and live a more stable existence. I became a skilled professional in the anarchist career.

Lol.

But, after seeing these priceless treasures, I fully realize that I cannot hide from my true identity -- I am an adventurer.

01space13.png

Von Schmelling promised to provide a detailed report to the englishman the following day, but I couldn't clearly overhear where the meeting would occur. The two men parted company, and I was left with my thoughts.

The legend of King Tut's Tomb has always intrigued me. Maybe, just maybe, I could get there first. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was staring me in the face. I was in a room full of some of the most adventuresome and courageous individuals in the world. I've worked with many of them before, and some are my close friends.

01space16.png

:roll:

We all agreed that von Schmelling's report is a logical starting point. There's no time to waste. We left the museum and set out on the adventure of a lifetime. I'm back in business!!

01space21.png

And we're back in business indeed. The interface is pretty self-explanatory, I guess. Query is used to talk to NPCs, View describes the piece or surroundings we're facing, like this...

01space26.png

...Lead changes the party's current leader...

01space27.png

...Use allows us to use an item we're carrying (no items at the moment, alas), and Study to examine it. Choosing Party we access our profile (stats, items, etc.), and Rob is, well, exactly what it says on the cover.

One thing that makes me suspect this update will be the last one, is the day counter in the upper left: it increases incredibly fast as we explore around, and with it increase our Fatique (and hunger).

manual said:
Fatigue
At the end of each day, a fatigue factor is determined for each of your characters. This fatigue level varies from character to character depending on the weight a character is carrying in items, the amount of food your party has, whether a character is riding a horse, and his ENDURANCE level. If the fatigue level is equal to, or greater than, a character’s STRENGTH, AGILITY or ENDURANCE, the character becomes unconscious. Rest and food are the only remedies for fatigue.

Rest
In order to rest you must discover an Inn or pitch a tent. You must have a tent in your inventory in order to pitch one. After proper rest, the fatigue level for each one of your characters is reduced to zero and the day is increased by one.

01space43.png

The London Museum, the building we've just exited, isn't big at all, and yet it took us 10 days (!) to explore it. And by the way, our inventory is totally empty: no food, no tent, nothing, so we can't even rest until we find an inn -- and at the current rate, it will surely take us a few months to discover the nearest one.

01space33.png

The more we explore, the more frequently we hear our stomach rumbling. That doesn't bode well, that much I can tell you.

01space35.png

To interact with an NPC, we must face him and choose the Query command. A menu appears that lets us trade or talk with him.

01space36.png

Hey, it's Heinrich Schliemann. It looks like he has an... appropriate quest for us. :roll: No handholding, though, and therefore for now we have no idea of any way we could solve Schliemann's quest.
And yeah, all NPCs seem to only have one thing to say. No dialogue trees or key words or anything.

01space42.png

The museum curator isn't a talkative one. Neither does he have anything to trade. I hate his type.

01space44.png

A monocled fellow is leisurely strolling in the park (?) near the museum.

01space45.png

A constable? Were constables really that monocled in Victorian England? :?
He gives us a quick introduction to the setting, and I think we're good to go (as far as we can go without dying of hunger and fatigue, of course).

In the next update (i.e., next month): food! I need more food! gimme some goddamn food! aarrggh...

P.S. I hate.

Err, I mean
:love:

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:love: :love: :love:

[edit]
Now that I've also read the update, let me supply with :thumbsup: and :yeah:

We're going to die gloriously, from hideous hunger pains! :incline:

Black Cat

Magister
Bookmarked. I will be following the spatial adventures of Miss Bee and her gang of merry ladies and merry gentlemen.

:love:

If you need the manual with all the game's stuff just tell me.

Also, be careful about something: While the manual and the game tells you that you can change party members when they die, I am not sure they actually finished that option. So just in case balance the party as much as you can before venturing forth.

For a time, I believed I could settle down and live a more stable existence. I became a skilled professional in the anarchist career.

That's pretty awesome, I have to give that to her. I will forever now imagine Miss Bee as a coat wearing wandering anarchist stealing banks, jumping tax collectors, and making things go boom.

P.S. I hate.

There goes KKKodexia last chance at Yuri romance. :(

Kz3r0

Arcane
3393317289_3b0a29a6d2.jpg

For reviving this LP. :salute:

ishtar.jpg

Best wishes in surviving the museum.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:love: y'all.

Black Cat said:
Also, be careful about something: While the manual and the game tells you that you can change party members when they die, I am not sure they actually finished that option. So just in case balance the party as much as you can before venturing forth.

Bah, I'll just roll with the party I have now 'cause I'm tired of re-rolling -- and this is your game, not mine. If I fail, then I fail. Like I said, this LP is dead anyway. ;) It's like a zombie LP, ya know; it can only go so far before being finally put to eternal rest.

Black Cat said:
There goes KKKodexia last chance at Yuri romance. :(

We're supposed to be each other's alts anyway. Which means, the romance would have to be incestual. :roll:

Black Cat said:
I will forever now imagine Miss Bee as a coat wearing wandering anarchist stealing banks, jumping tax collectors, and making things go boom.

Awesome. I'm fine with that!

MMXI

Arcane
Didn't I specify a character for this LP? If so, where is it?

:rpgcodex:

Crooked Bee

Patron
In 1870, according to Space 1889's rules, Thomas Edison crashed on Mars in his newly-invented "ether flyer", and discovered a ruined, decaying civilization. Two decades later, British redcoats are fighting for Her Majesty in Syrtis Major as well as the Sudan.

Which means, welcome back to the newly revived LP of this "science fiction role playing in a more civilized time"! (Yeah, that's the official subtitle.)
Before we proceed, however, two random observations:

1. There is, like, no experience system in this game and no way of improving the attributes? According to an extremely nice short review of p&p Space 1889, in the pen-and-paper version there are experience points, "used to improve skills, although a die roll is required to raise a skill above the level of the associated attribute", but in the computer version I haven't been able to locate them in the character profile. I'm a bit surprised by that, frankly, and I hope there will be a way of raising the skills at least. The manual is silent on that.

2. So far it seems the fatigue factor isn't as high as the developers advertise it in the manual. In fact, so far it seems to be non-existent. I believe they forgot to implement it properly (or at all), as I completely fail to notice any consequences of our stomachs being empty. This may change later, of course; I'm playing it blindly, after all.

That said, I'm having fun with the game so far, even though I haven't left London nor completed a single quest yet. Truth be told, I just have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing and I'm only starting to get the hang of the way it plays, so I'm just messing around for now and making things go boom.

02space002.png

Right next to the museum is... Stonehenge? The Stonehenge? In the centre of London? Oh boy.

02space004.png

Most of the NPCs we encounter are commoners who have nothing of substance to say to us. No wonder, them being commoners and all.

02space006.png

Facing the Archaeologist's shop.

manual said:
ARCHAEOLOGIST. An archaeologist can supply information about an item in your inventory. Select which character will pay for the information, and which has the item to be examined. Select the item horn his inventory. You will then be given a description of the item you selected.

02space013.png

Miss Bee has no objects, neither does anyone else, and we can't do anything here at the moment.

02space015.png

We can actually leave London and just go walking around the globe (it's Britain though, so we wouldn't get far on foot), but let's leave that for later.

02space018.png

A weapon shop! Now that should incline our exploration greatly.

WEAPON STORE. You can either BUY WEAPONS/AMMO or SELL WEAPON. If you decide to sell a weapon, you are asked which one of your characters will sell a particular weapon, and which one will receive the money from the transaction. If there are any rounds of ammunition included with the weapon, you are properly reimbursed. If you decide to BUY WEAPONS/AMMO, you are asked whether you wish to BUY WEAPONS or BUY AMMUNITION. To BUY WEAPONS, you must determine which one of your characters will pay for the weapon(s), and which one will receive them. Next, you will asked what weapons you want to purchase. To BUY AMMUNITION, you are asked which character will buy the ammunition, and which one will receive it. Then you will select the ammunition type and then the number of rounds you wish to buy.

02space020.png

First we must decide whether we want to buy or sell, then between weapons and ammo, then who will pay, and finally who will receive the weapon/ammunition. Going through five menus in a row only to buy a weapon is the example of a clunky interface. What's wrong, game? Where's my button-awesome connection?

02space024.png

02space025.png
02space026.png

At last, after struggling with the interface and prevailing, we reach the list of available weapons. And boy, do I like what I see!

02space029.png

Miss Bee buys herself a 12-gauge scattergun.

12-GAUGE SCATTERGUN. A standard 12-gauge double-barrel shotgun with the barrels sawed off to give greater effectiveness at close range. Favored by American desperadoes. Wt: 6 lbs. Price £5.

Favoured by American desperados? Well, Bee's a criminal, after all. :P

02space033.png

Being the richest one in our group, Bee is the one to buy weapons (as well as everything else) for everyone. I wonder how much buying a spaceship is going to cost us... But anyway, Pariah and Kazgar receive a 12-gauge lever action shotgun.

12-GAUGE LEVER ACTION. A shotgun with a tubular magazine capable of holding five cartridges. The weapon is cocked and cartridges loaded and ejected by means of a manually operated lever. The Winchester Repeating Shotgun is a typical example of a lever action shotgun. Wt: 9 lbs. Price: £5.

As for Faith...

02space036.png

...we buy her a Maxim. Yeah, you heard it right. And we can afford that.

MAXIM. The Maxim gun is a single-barrel, water-cooled machine gun which uses the force of one cartridge's recoil to eject the spent round, load a fresh one, and fire it. This sequence continues until the gunner removes pressure from the trigger or the ammunition is exhausted. Maxim guns are just entering experimental service with the British Army (although the gun has been on the market since 1883). Wt: 40 lbs. Price: £150.

The rules say a character needs the Gunnery skill to operate a machine gun, but screw the rules. We're LARPing here. A witch with a machine gun? Sounds fun.
(Well, we do buy a shotgun for Faith, too, just in case. And now I regret I didn't invest in anyone's Gunnery.)

02space041.png

We now have our first items in the inventory, and they're deadly. We're off to a good start.
It took me some time to figure out how to equip a weapon though. You can't do that from the party screen, only via the Use command.

We shouldn't forget to buy ammo as well, since otherwise the weapons are going to be useless.

02space045.png

Good thing the game automatically chooses the type of ammo for you depending on the weapon(s) you're carrying.

02space046.png

The next screen just put me in a stupor. I mean, shots? shells? grapeshot? shrapnel? Uhm, what? How do I choose among those? The bloody manual as always remains silent. I went for shots and bough a hundred shots for Bee, Kazgar and Pariah, and 200 shots for Faith's Maxim, but I wonder if someone knows the difference between those, uhm, thingies.

02space062.png

And here's the local inn.

INN. When you enter an inn, seek out the shopkeeper (you must talk to the people in this building to find out who this person is). He asks you if you wish to stay for the night. If you do, you will automatically begin a new day and the fatigue levels for each of your characters will be zero.

Note that it's already the 188th day and we haven't eaten anything yet, and despite that our fatigue still equals 0. Talk about a half-assed implementation.

02space065.png

London's interiors aren't very exciting or varied, really.

02space067.png

The innkeeper offers us a room, but we decline -- being a superhuman band of adventurers, we aren't a bit tired despite having spent two hundred days exploring one tiny area of London. :roll:

02space071.png

In a room here, we meet one Dr Maxwell Raven who advertises a substance called Fever Serum to us. A meagre £50, he says. Time to test out the bargaining interface. We press B for Buy.

02space072.png

Next we can choose between buying Info or an Object. Fever serum, eh? Must be an object.

02space073.png

And now we are presented with a choice as counterintuitive as it gets. Here, Money and Item indicate not the action we must choose or the kind of thing we want from the NPC, but rather what we want to offer to him in exchange for the object we need. A more intuitive interface would be saying something like "Buy" and "Barter/Trade" instead.

02space077.png

Now, again, we choose who pays the money, then who receives the item, and finally we get to type in the sum we wish to pay. I forgot to switch the current party leader to Kazgar (who has some bargaining skills) and I didn't want to go through the interface again, so Dr Raven wouldn't agree to anything below fifty quid.

02space078.png

"It was a pleasure doing business with you. Someday, you will be glad you met me."

02space082.png

We use the Study command to examine the serum. Well, it does sound useful; let's hope we didn't spend that money for nothing. (We can't buy any more fever serum from Dr Raven, by the way, so this must be a unique or at least rare item.)

02space089.png

Given that Stonehenge is right near the British Museum, no wonder Silbury Hill is here, too.

02space090.png

Inside it's pitch dark and we're likely to be eaten by a nasty grue. I believe we'll need a torch or something to be able to explore the place.

02space098.png

That suitcase-like symbol means we're approaching... a bar. Makes sense, I guess.

TAVERN. Bartenders will usually share information if you buy a drink or two.

Yeah, it's only now that I've read this line from the manual. :oops: Stay tuned for a Return to the Bar in the next update.

02space108.png

Meet Ian the Bartender.

02space105.png

"You must die for your actions!"

And here's a drunkard. I've no idea who he has mistaken us for, but luckily he hasn't the guts to attack us or anything.

02space102.png

We also encounter one James A. Grimes here. He offers to sell us the blueprints for a spaceship (called "ether flyers" in this game), but I don't think we need that at the moment.

02space110.png

At the market we can finally buy some food.

MARKET. You must buy food for your party or they will quickly become fatigued. The market cashier asks you which of your characters will pay for the food. He then tells you how many days of food the character can buy with his money, and how much food your party currently has. The food adds no weight to a character or the party, so it is a good idea to buy as much food as you can.

02space114.png

For the sake of LARPing, I buy 10000 days' worth of food.

02space119.png

And this here is, you've guessed it, a pawn shop.

PAWN SHOP. In the pawn shop you can buy or sell any item. To buy an item, select BUY PRODUCTS. You then specify which of your characters will buy the product and which one will receive the product. Then you will be asked what product you want to buy. To sell an item, select SELL PRODUCTS. You then specify which character will sell the product, and which one will receive the money from the transaction. Then, you will be asked what item from your character's inventory will be sold.

After the weapon shop, this is probably the most useful kind of shop around here.

02space121.png

02space122.png
02space123.png

We'll probably need at least some of those items... No way to tell which ones, though. And some armour too. Anyway here's what I bought.

02space185.png

Miss Faith receives a rope, a breast plate, a helmet, and a set of shoulder scales.

ROPE, 100 ft. This has a tensile strength of 300 pounds. Wt: 5 lbs. Price 2/-.

SHOULDER SCALES. Metal epaulets designed to protect the shoulders and neck from downward chopping blows. Wt: 2 Ibs. Price: 2/6.

BREAST PLATE. Solid plate metal protection for the chest and abdomen. Wt: 6 lbs. Price £1.

HELMET. Protection for the head, usually of metal. Wt: 2 lbs. Price £1 2/-.

Judging by the manual, shoulder scales + breast plate + helmet seems to be the best armour combination, so everyone in our party receives just that. Equipping armour is done the same way as equipping a weapon, i.e., with the help of the Use command.

02space186.png

Miss Bee gets some lockpicks (each takes up a separate inventory space, which is kinda lame), a rope, and a miner's hat.

LAMP, MINER’S SAFETY. A small lamp designed to be worn on the head, usually fueled by carbide and water. A pound of carbide will provide 16 charges, each charge will last two hours. Wt: .3 lbs. Price: 8d.

LOCKPICKS. Tools for opening locks without the proper key, including several picks, skeleton keys, and so on. Wt: Negligible Price: 18/.

02space187.png

Pariah is now carrying a doctor's bag, a shovel, a rope, Conklin's Atlas of the Worlds, and navigation instruments. He's both our doctor and our pilot (even if not a particularly skilled one), after all.

CONKLIN'S ATLAS OF THE WORLDS AND HANDY MANUAL OF USEFUL INFORMATION. A gazetter and atlas of Earth, Mars, Venus, and other worlds in the Solar System, with vital statistics and other information, all in a single handy reference book. Wt: .5 lb. Price: 1/-.

DOCTOR'S BAG AND SUPPLIES. A leather bag containing surgical instruments and supplies, and also a supply of medicines and other materials for the treatment of wounds and sickness. Wt: 10 lbs. Price: £3.

SHOVEL. Tool used in excavating. Wt: 5 lbs. Price: 21-.

NAVIGATION INSTRUMENTS. A sextant, chronometer, compass, and other instruments used in celestial navigation. Wt: 8 lbs. Price: £12.

I have no clue if the atlas and the instruments are going to help us navigate an ether flyer, but well, one can hope.

02space188.png

Finally, Kazgar receives a copy of Edison's Encyclopedia, a set of camping equipment, a lantern, a rope, a shovel, and -- last but not least -- a pack of dynamite.

EDISON'S ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GENERAL INFORMATION. A tome of useful information about the universe, written by the inventor of the ether flyer. No inventor or scientist can be without this compact volume. Wt: 1 lb. Price: 1/-.

CAMPING OUTFIT. A gentleman needs certain essentials for life, even in the wilderness, and this kit provides them all in a convenient carrying case. It includes a stove, tent, cot, folding stool, cooking pots, dining utensils, toilet requisites, and many other items. Wt: 80 lbs. Price: £2.

LANTERN, CARBIDE. A larger version of the miner's safety lamp. A pound of carbide will provide eight charges, and each charge will provide light for four hours. If spilled, the carbide will not burn, unlike liquid fuels. Wt: 1 lb. Price: 1/-.

DYNAMITE. Invented in 1866 by Nobel, dynamite has largely replaced gunpowder as a common explosive. Dynamite comes in cases, each with 100 half-pound sticks. Dynamite has an explosive power of 4 per pound (2 per stick). Wt: 50 lbs./case Price: £5.

That camping stuff is weighty, isn't it? Sounds indispensable, though. As for the dynamite... But let's not get ahead of ourselves.
There was also some clothing for sale, which I didn't buy:

CLOTHING, FOUL WEATHER. A rubberized hat, overcoat and boots to protect the wearer from wind and rain. Wt: 3 lbs. Price: 8/-to 12/-.

CLOTHING, ROUGH-LIVING. A suit of heavy-duty clothing, including pants, shirt, jacket, boots, hat, and so on, for use by explorers and those who expect to be "roughing it." Wt: 3 lbs. Price: £1.

I wonder if we should acquire that, or is it there for a purely atmospheric purpose? What do you think, Codex? .... Uhm, Codex? Ah, nevermind.

02space189.png

And back to Silbury Hill we go.

02space191.png

It's dark, true, but! We now have a miner's hat.

02space192.png

And voila, there was light.
Funnily enough, we encounter a reporter here. I wonder how she was making her way in complete darkness.

02space195.png

Wait... prophet Kazakhstan? Really!?
:what:

In any case, this is the first dungeon we've come across, so let's see if we can make it through.

02space198.png

We head north through narrow corridors until we stumble upon this dirty male.

02space199.png

No wonder he's dirty, he's an excavator!

02space203.png

This is the farthest room we've been able to make it to, and the way to the left is blocked by a wall, the one the excavator is excavating.
Hmm, how 'bout we place some dynamite there, for scientific purposes? (You can actually see some dynamite placed on the wall in the above screenshot if you look closely.)

02space204.png

Kaboom! I'm enjoying this game already.

02space205.png

What do you think, a set of stairs!

02space206.png

Onwards, in search of Prophet Kazakhstan!! (But we must buy more explosives first.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom