Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima I through III Now On GOG

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
both 7s together with add-ons would be worth more than 6 bucks imo, same for a 4-6 bundle.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
My money says they will charge $5.99 for UV, $5.99 for U6, or $9.99 for both of them. You watch! (And yeah, I'll probably buy them. I'm such a sucker.)

hanssolo

Educated
JagreenLern said:
Thank you EA, for charging 6$ for a few ancient games that have been available for free on abandonware sites for fucking ages.

I'm no fan of GOG, but anyone who can't find a download of these games now probably deserves to pay EA $6 for the service.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
SuicideBunny said:
both 7s together with add-ons would be worth more than 6 bucks imo, same for a 4-6 bundle.

For whatever reasons EA refuses to allow GoG to package the expansions with any of their older games so don't hold your breath on that.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Metro said:
SuicideBunny said:

For whatever reasons EA refuses to allow GoG to package the expansions with any of their older games so don't hold your breath on that.

Why would they do that? For Dungeon Keeper, The Deeper Dungeons boiled down to "Fight off 30 level 10 enemies with one imp and a boulder trap" and you'd have to be an idiot massochist to get through all the levels (which I did :smug:) However, TDD does add value to DK but I don't think many people would buy that expansion separately (if it were even possible.)

Eh, EA just wants free money, I suppose. The simpler way the better. Including the expansions in a Dosbox image may just not pay for itself.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
5.99$ for games from the 80s that are like 299 KB combined* is the ultimate in lack of value for money.

Although I guess the upside is that now less people will play these games and find out how underwhelming they are.

*I just downloaded them and added up the KB, I didn't bother downloading the manuals too.

Cassidy

Arcane
JagreenLern said:
Thank you EA, for charging 6$ for a few ancient games that have been available for free on abandonware sites for fucking ages.

If this was going straight to the original dev, no matter how derp Garriott's works might have become recently, I'd consider paying it for the original merit of the game. But I'm not going to help with even a cent the funding for Alpha Centauri: Popping Moles in Chiron or Riccitiello's newest Ferrari.

5.99$ for games from the 80s that are like 299 KB combined* is the ultimate in lack of value for money.

I disagree. $ 30.00 for 4 GB worth of copypasted super-high resolution textures that still look like shit, intrusive DRM and copypasted corridors with boxes for popping moles by coming out of god mode cover is the ultimate lack in value for money.

Older games delivered far more content in KB than new shit delivers in GB, and that includes the art quality(not meaning graphics quality, just art design).

waywardOne

Arcane
Now that I've gotten it again (my gaming OC makes me want to compare the version I already have), I wonder who decided this was the way to go.

Why didn't they sell IV and give away I-III with it? Giving one for free without having to buy anything is stupid, and "modern" gamers, upon seeing IV, are unlikely to be moved to pay for lesser games.

MMXI

Arcane
waywardOne said:
Now that I've gotten it again (my gaming OC makes me want to compare the version I already have), I wonder who decided this was the way to go.

Why didn't they sell IV and give away I-III with it? Giving one for free without having to buy anything is stupid, and "modern" gamers, upon seeing IV, are unlikely to be moved to pay for lesser games.
Because Ultima IV has been freeware for many years. They can't sell it.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
Ultimas are such an unstable and such a long-running series it makes my head hurt remembering which one is which.

1-3 where utter shite

4 was quite good

5 i can't remember one thing about, though i'm pretty sure i've played it for a while

6 was close to genius

7 and 7.5 were meh. perfect on paper, not much fun actually playing them

8 was a probably a bad game, but the amount of love i have for it is about the size of jomolungma

9 was please die before you were born

the two underworlds can go and fuck themselves

And a special fuck you goes to Garriot's awesome take on isometric projection. Seriously, you have to be some kind of an alien parasite monster to see the world this way.

As of GOG deal (of year 2011), who gives a damn except for some old ass wankers who need to justfy their incredibly boring childhoods by whining about the goodnes of the shitty old ultimas?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I loved all the Ultima's, and even found it to play through U9 several times. There is value in all the Ultimas, but I guess they ain't for eveyrone.

Completely OT: The bigger rip off is $5.99 for Populous that they are running today. WTF, I loved that game when it came out, but seriously that game was niche even back then. $6 for that game? With a bonus of: the manual.

Ebonsword

Arcane
The problem I see with these downloads is that a huge part of the Ultima experience is all of the awesome extras that come with the games. Beautiful manuals. Cloth maps. A nice, sturdy box.

No wonder folks that just get the game files without all of that other stuff find the early Ultimas so underwhelming.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wake me when 7 comes out on GOG. The early ones were a) before my time, and b) not that good when I played them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DalekFlay said:
Wake me when 7 comes out on GOG. The early ones were a) before my time, and b) not that good when I played them.

Ultima IV and V are fantastic.

Why do you hate cRPG's?

BlaineMono

Liturgist
DalekFlay said:
Saying Ultima IV is something anyone should play in 2011 is pure nostalgia goggles, there is no other explanation.

I played IV in like 2003 or so and had lots of fun.

So it's either something really bad happened in the last 8 years (and please don't say Bioware) or you are being a newfag on purpose.

hanssolo

Educated
DalekFlay said:
Saying Ultima IV is something anyone should play in 2011 is pure nostalgia goggles, there is no other explanation.

Oh really??

Then why:
DalekFlay said:
Wake me when 7 comes out on GOG.

Considering Ultima 7 = Ultima 6 - Bearable combat?

or does grid movement ruin your immershun?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom