Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nox on GOG

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, with Nox released today on GOG, I'm thinking of getting it and playing it again. I don't really remember much about the game, I was still quite young when it came out, except it was very action-y and had a field of vision system. Oh, and that ungodly boomstick that obliterates everything near you was a laugh. Is it actually worth playing again though? What's the Kodex Konsensus on this one?

Sordid Jester

Educated
Get it get it get it get it get it get it get it.

Everything about Nox is good.

I can't remember precisely how long a campaign lasts. Eight hours? Give or take a couple, maybe. It's a comfortable length anyway.

Campaigns are sort of different. The first couple of acts are different for each and they do get different again a little way on, but mostly it's the same story for each. The gameplay difference between each class is immensely different, though.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow, seems like some good reactions. I was expecting the usual, it's OK, but.... comments. Seems like most of the comments on the GOG page compare it to Diablo II. Although it's quite possible that they're just retards because from what I remember it's nothing like Diablo. Nox is actually fun. I also remember some spell making a giant stone fist fall from the sky. Or was it a trap? I need to get this game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Zarniwoop said:
Seems like most of the comments on the GOG page compare it to Diablo II.

The only thing that makes it similar to Diablo is that it's a hack and slash. It's completely different in all other ways. There's not really any character building per se because your stats auto-upgrade on level up, maps are pre-made, no skill trees, etc.

I also remember some spell making a giant stone fist fall from the sky. Or was it a trap? I need to get this game.

Both spell and trap. The fist of vengeance :thumbsup:

Truman

Scholar
One of my absolute favorite games. It really is exciting how each character class tells a different side of the story (especially regarding the warrior/wizard divide). There are number of areas in the game that are just a bore to go through but it doesn't really become a problem until you are replaying it for the 5th and realize you have to go through that place again.

I hear the multiplayer was quite active for a while too but I never tried it. Nor did I try Nox Quest, which supposedly allowed cooperative play.

It's a fun, polished game with great visuals/sound and a very unique control interface.

EDIT: Not to mention it was made by the great Westwood Studios.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I might need to pick this up, too. I remember having just an absolute ton of fun with it when I was younger. It's Westwood though, and Westwood managed to make just about everything a total blast, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wanted to ask the Codex's opinion about this game myself, but I can see that it is mostly positive. This settled it, I'm buying Nox.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Nox is great. Still have the box somewhere. I will have to replay it sometime.

A most excellently made game. Great class diversity/balance that play completely differently yet somehow still work out well. Very intense combat where half the enemies in the game can wipe you if you aren't careful. Secret areas FUCKING EVERYWHERE. Amazing visuals (I can't stand any H&S that doesn't implement FoV now because of Nox, and it plays very well into the combat system). Tons of cool abilities, even if half of them are fairly marginal the rest have lots of depth. The only weakness of the game was that it was made by a company about to be bought out by EA.

Do try the Quest mode with a few friends once you get done with the normal campaign. Its like Diablo in that its randomly generated and perfect for teamplay + loot whoring. But instead of being the same boring empty areas with different shapes the areas in Quest Mode can be as good or better than the campaign in terms of puzzle design, secret areas (even more of them fucking everywhere, and more of them connected to puzzles), and hilarious instant deaths as someone triggered a trap and got themselves or someone else killed. Spent most of a summer playing this when I was 13 along with my younger brother and sister.

Eyeball

Arcane
Whoah, haven't seen this much dicksucking of a game on the Codex since KOTC. Buying tomorrow!

Multi-headed Cow

The multiplayer was FANTASTIC. FUCK I LOVED NOX MP.

The Gauntlet mode wasn't entirely shit, too. Neither was the campaign. BUT THE MULTIPLAYER, UNF.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Who wants some MP Nox? I had the Russian version and could only MP in the demo. Crazy addictive.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Everything about Nox is good.
Controls are kind of bleh, reminded me of console Diablo.
And generally the entire game is very bland. Couldnt get into it at all. Surprised that so many people love this trash.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Well, it's very casual, yes. But still a solid game, nonetheless. A relaxing fairy tale.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Now I feel ashamed for never giving it a try back then when it was on some "Ultimate Games Collection Year-n"!" :(

DaveO

Erudite
I've played thru and completed it. You have three factions to choose, but I'm betting that the fond memories of most of the repliers are from multiplayer. It's hack and slash, so if you're expecting any sort of innovation or difference versus other H&S games of the same period you might as well not bother with the download. There is a single player campaign that is multiple hours long, although some places and fights can be frustrating.

bhlaab

Erudite
So is it pretty much like Divine Divinity? If so might check it out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom