Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bastion

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I bought the game. I played the demo, then pirated it to see if I really liked it, and I did.
This game is based around a couple artsy gimmicks, but I happened to like them. The demo 100% shows you what you can expect from the whole game, so definitely try it. I imagine some people would not like the constant narration but I thought it was a neat idea. The script though does have some whoppers, though. "The only good thing to come out of the past...is history" fucking lol

So it's an indy artsy type game, the genre or whatever is kind of like Diablo, but that's just because I couldn't think of anything closer. Isometric hack n slash, with some extra abilities. One of the very very few games I've ever played that had a "block" function that I did not hate.

Try out the demo, like I said it shows pretty much exactly what the full game is all about.

Nice soundtrack too. I think I saw a torrent for the music it when I was pirating it, I'll go look again.

Angthoron

Arcane
Great game, though they should've done the whole pacifism propaganda thing a bit more subtly, the whole plot got predictable very quick, to me.

I mean come on, pacifists, what the hell? Do you really think that we'll be shocked to find out that ANIMALS BLEED AND SUFFER? Or that a nuclear bomb maybe kills people (thank you Braid for pointing that out) or maybe that human progress is marked by violence? OMG NO WAY? Ugh.

Anyway, that minor bit of bitching aside, it's actually an excellent game, and as KC said, the soundtrack is quite neat. Narrator commenting on stuff is quite nice as well.

Oh yeah, and gameplay's alright too. Isometric arcade action, yeahhh.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
kingcomrade said:
So I'm sad about the lack of interest for this game. Oh, well.

Already been a couple of threads on this game when it was released. Too lazy too find the old posts and link them here.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Read the previous threads on KKKodex about the game. Gave the demo a quick peek. decided it wasn't for me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The demo has been on Steam since it's release or at least a solid month now since that's when I played it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Been playing it for a while. Story seems cool, voice actor is the manliest of men, upgrading system is fun.

The combat itself is decidedly MEH. Don't know why kc forgives the block-feature, it is exactly as annoying here as in all other games with this feature.

Don't think I'll finish it, but I can see why some might like it.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I just finished this game, and it was easily the best game of 2011. Anyone else give it a shot after the steam holiday sale?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Better than Skyrim, better than Deus Ex: HR. What else does it need to beat?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Better than Skyrim, better than Deus Ex: HR. What else does it need to beat?

The Witcher 2. Hell I liked Orcs Must Die! better than I liked Bastion. Just a pile of boring, simplistic gameplay with a charming story and a few cute mechanics.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yep, pretty much like Orcs Must Die!

I'm not saying you're a fool for finding it fun or anything, just that I wouldn't nominate Orcs Must Die! for a game of the year award, and I find it better than Bastion.

I haven't played Trine 2 yet though.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I think my nomination is really more about how bad this year has been than how good the game is. Though, I haven't played Witcher 2 yet. I'm also quite a storyfag, which is why I enjoyed it a lot more than Orcs Must Die!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm also a storyfag :D

I enjoy blobs and isometric turnbased shit and storyshit like TW2 almost equally (fooooooooooo' shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame says the 'dex). I was just so bored by Bastion I couldn't play it.

But if you're a storyfag why the fuck haven't you played TW2 yet? You didn't like the original?

TripJack

Hedonist
lol best game of 2011 good one

based on the demo the game is shit which is why i didnt waste money on it in the sale

Kraszu

Prophet
Unepic is much better. The combat is simple but you can do some fun things with skills/items. Bastion is ok but it comes down to not that great action game, plus commentary that I had liked but that isn't the most important thing for a game to have, it is only an addition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom