Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas still in Top 10 for July 2011

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
J_C said:
Still, he was the senior designer of the game. Meaning that he made feedback to the devs, participated in the development process and so on. He was not the lead designer, but this doesn't mean that all he did was writing a few characters, then taking off his vacation. And as you said he made the DLCs, and he did a pretty good job with them.

No, he wasn't. He was on as a writer. Nothing else. He was a senior designer in the sense of that he was a experienced designer.

He didn't write any locations etc. He came in late due to AP and most of what he did was concerning Ulysses who had to be cut out from the game.

If you don't fucking believe me read the credits for crying out loud.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/f ... as/credits

If you wondering what his CCO duties are. Its basically proofreading and playtesting.

So, yes he did "just" write a few charachters. (who were still important ones)

And yes, I know he did the DLC. But he was talking about FNV the base game. And again, not all of them. HH wasn't by him.

I'm as big an MCA Fan as fucking everyone but lay fucking Credit where Credit is due. And in the case of F:NV its Josh Sawyer and John Gonzalez. Every other designer and writer on FNV had more contributed to the base game than MCA did.

(Apart from much of the games stuff beeing based on Van Buren Material of course.)

Edit: Also where the fuck did I say that Avellone took off on Vacation? I'm just saying that Avellones role on F:NV wasn't big enough to make it somehow HIS game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Yes, and that's because (as far as I understand it, at least) most of the DLC is content, or revolves around content that had to be ripped out of the main game in the end, because Obsidian is too ambitious and too slow. See: KOTOR2.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Couldn't it be selling well because the DLCs are really good and people that haven't bought the game are now buying it because of word of mouth from people who have had the game for awhile?

That means MCA is the person who is solely responsible for everything good that is NV.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Country_Gravy said:
Couldn't it be selling well because the DLCs are really good and people that haven't bought the game are now buying it because of word of mouth from people who have had the game for awhile?
That would actually be my guess.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
Yes, and that's because (as far as I understand it, at least) most of the DLC is content, or revolves around content that had to be ripped out of the main game in the end, because Obsidian is too ambitious and too slow. See: KOTOR2.

Resolves. Ulysses story was in the main game. But since it became too much he was written out. MCA then decided to adapt it for the possible DLCs. There was NEVER a Sierra Madre, Big Empty, Lonesome Road in the main game before the DLCs were worked on.

Also, FNV sold well because of its own. Nobody buys a game because of its DLC. There are tons of people arguing in other forums that the price for the DLCs is too high. Dead Money isn't even that respected outside hardore rpg gamers. It got pretty low scores too. The chances are higher it sold so well because of Summer Sales.

@Country-Gary: Popularity=Quality? Are you fucking kidding me? FO3 is now a good game? Thats emberassing.

Why the fuck do you need FNV to be even remotly an Avellone product? Its not. It never was. The DLC yes. But not the base game and the problems it fixed.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
IronicNeurotic said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Resolves. Ulysses story was in the main game. But since it became too much he was written out. MCA then decided to adapt it for the possible DLCs. There was NEVER a Sierra Madre, Big Empty, Lonesome Road in the main game before the DLCs were worked on.
Alright then. Loosely revolves it is.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
IronicNeurotic said:
@Country-Gary: Popularity=Quality? Are you fucking kidding me? FO3 is now a good game? Thats emberassing.

Where did I say popularity=quality? And my name isn't Gary, Fuckwit.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Roguey said:
Xor said:
Destroid said:
I'll bet Obsidian are sad they didn't have royalties in their contract.

Was that ever actually confirmed?
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/176005095375281766
Bethesda basically did them a favor by allowing them to play in their sandbox, why should they give them extra money?

Yeah, I wouldn't expect individual employees to get royalties from the games they release. I'm pretty sure that's the industry standard - salaried employees, corporate owns all the rights to everything. I would still be very surprised if Obsidian didn't receive some kind of bonus for sales on NV.

attackfighter said:
typically programmers are paid by commision so they would of course earn a percentage of the profits

I don't know where you live that the programmers are commonly paid by commission, but every programming position I've ever heard of has either been salaried or done on a bid system.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IronicNeurotic said:
J_C said:
Still, he was the senior designer of the game. Meaning that he made feedback to the devs, participated in the development process and so on. He was not the lead designer, but this doesn't mean that all he did was writing a few characters, then taking off his vacation. And as you said he made the DLCs, and he did a pretty good job with them.

No, he wasn't. He was on as a writer.
Will you believe me if I post you a video interview with MCA himself saying that he was a senior designer on New Vegas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnMbLzgUx4

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
At least obsidian is benefiting from the good sales in that they're getting paid for making loads of DLC that they probably wouldn't be doing otherwise.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
By the way, fuck you faggots who are calling New Vegas "Old School".
Yeah, I like NW, but I don't see how is it old-school in any way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Xor said:
Yeah, I wouldn't expect individual employees to get royalties from the games they release. I'm pretty sure that's the industry standard - salaried employees, corporate owns all the rights to everything. I would still be very surprised if Obsidian didn't receive some kind of bonus for sales on NV.
I'd be surprised if they did.
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/561744982
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/2129767213
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... t390637156
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... t390640104
They'd need those precious high metacritic scores, which they didn't get.

Varn

Educated
I've been trying to summons the courage to do a replay of New Vegas but I just can't bring myself to do it. Something about the game is just off... it misses that joyous feeling you get from playing a true RPG and reminds me more of the soulless, bland expanses of Oblivion.

I think it's mostly Gamebryo and VATS, along with a bunch of other retarded design choices. Maybe if they had the combat comments and weapon descriptions or something from FO1/2, something to give the game some soul, I could come back to it. Maybe I'll try that Project Nevada out and that'll do it. But at this stage I don't hold out much hope.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
J_C said:
IronicNeurotic said:
J_C said:

No, he wasn't. He was on as a writer.
Will you believe me if I post you a video interview with MCA himself saying that he was a senior designer on New Vegas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnMbLzgUx4

Yes, cut out the part where I say he was a senior designer in the sense of an experienced designer on the project, why don't ya? Doesn't change the fact at all that he "just" wrote a few charachters (albeit important ones).

Again, look at the credits. Both Fenstermaker and Stout who were both major writers on the project are also listed under "Area Design" because they did other Designwork (Quests,Locations) too.

Exmit

Scholar
So bros, is New Vegas 'old school' by todays standards ? :M

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
attackfighter said:
typically programmers are paid by commision so they would of course earn a percentage of the profits

Sawyer isn't a programmer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom