Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wheel of Time RPG: What do you want to see?

jazzotron

Liturgist
Infinitron said:
the above said:
From what I understand, the books aren't held in very high esteem?

A lot of fantasy geeks of a certain age had this sort of progression:

Dragonlance -> Belgariad -> Wheel of Time -> Song of Ice and Fire

With each making the previous one look childish and lame by comparison.
(any idea what comes after aSoIaF?)

Jora said:
The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker.

:oops:
Fuck - you guys are good!

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
jazzotron said:
Infinitron said:
the above said:
From what I understand, the books aren't held in very high esteem?

A lot of fantasy geeks of a certain age had this sort of progression:

Dragonlance -> Belgariad -> Wheel of Time -> Song of Ice and Fire

With each making the previous one look childish and lame by comparison.
(any idea what comes after aSoIaF?)

Jora said:
The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker.

:oops:
Fuck - you guys are good!

That's what I was thinking...They pretty much nailed the main fantasy series that I have read since middle school.

First series was The Chronicles of Narnia in grade school. Those books got me interested in fantasy novels and then I moved on to the series of books listed above.

Am I normal?

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont agree with those last two step.

Song of Ice and Fire series is kinda sorta pall after the first time you read it. Rereadability is about zip.

Wheel of Time, boyos, middle name is Rereadable. I reread them a lot. But there's a trick to it: you ignore the fuck out of 1st book The Eye of the World. There's some headfuck going on and I still cant figure out head or tails some chapters, decade later. Book 2, however, is certain good enough to snare you.

EDIT: TEoTW is kinda sorta paying homage to the Hobbit, but it's better in my estimate. I reread it at least 3 times while the Hobbit is about enough once.

EDITITY: Actually, the Wheel of Time game has many potential for lesbian sex, tasteful rape, BDSM, snuff, etc and etc. The question is that do devs dare?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Praising TWoT in favor of ASoIaF? ROFL
TWoT started out as a cliché fantasy story in the veins of LotR and then developed into "...the end...Not! LOL, I'll string this shit along without anything happening until I die. People will buy it anyway!"
ASoIaF is far better written, lacks the clichés and is overall much more mature, though a little less grim darkness would have probably been a good idea. It's more like "Ok, so now I've gotten off to a good start with flawed but likable characters, that the readers can empathize with. I've killed off some to keep the tension up and make clear that anybody can die. Now how do I move along from here? LOL, I'll string this shit along without anything happening until I die. People will buy it anyway!"

But seriously guys, you might want to visit the codex library. We have all these discussions and recommendations covered there.

laclongquan

Arcane
It depends on the criteria you used to judge a lit. work.

Me, solely on Rereadable. Fuck art, fuck wordplay, fuck storyline, fuck characters, fuck angst, fuck everything else. R.E.R.E.A.D.A.B.L.E. A book that cant even interest me into a second read doesnt worth shit in my list.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I will not argue here, but the sole reason I re-read the earlier books of WoT was because I couldn't remember parts of the story and many of the characters when a new book came out. So I had to re-read some to get back in. Also one of the reasons why I re-read the Martin stuff a few times.
Other books I re-read simply because I've forgotten enough to enjoy them again without a sequel forcing me to do so. And others depend on twists, conundrums or secrets that are (re-)solved in unforgettable endings and spoil some of the fun. Thus making some books less re-readable that others without that affecting the enjoyment/entertainment one got from the first time reading.
So I cannot follow your criterion at all...

Gord

Arcane
You can throw a lot of accusations at WoT, but it being Tolkinesque/LotR cliche fantasy isn't on of them, imho.
It uses some common motifs, yes, but it has more than enough to set it apart.

Now if I only could bring myself to go on with reading it, but he just went nuts after book 4 or 5.
Would have been much better had he told the story in about half the number of books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom