Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon - parodic fantasy turn-based blobber

Annonchinil

Scholar
So out of all the combat rpgs? Which one is codex gold winner? ToEE, KoC, or FK?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Annonchinil said:
So out of all the combat rpgs? Which one is codex gold winner? ToEE, KoC, or FK?

Nothing has or ever will top ToEE (for combat). Until AOD comes out of course....

PorkaMorka

Arcane
KoTC blows TOEE out of the water, it really doesn't matter many options are built into the combat system when all you fight are melee fighter bugbears.

KoTC guy understood how to design tactically interesting fights. The vast majority of KoTC fights had a good variety of melee fighters, ranged fighters, divine casters, arcane casters and/or monsters. It was very rare to just fight pack of generic melee enemies.

Troika wasted the potential of the engine they created by not designing many interesting fights.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
To my surprise I just stumbled upon a torrent from the latest version (1.04) that seems to be floating about for a couple of hours now.
So if anyone still is unsure whether to buy this game or not: you can now try out an extended Demo. But please remember Indies actually need every single sale. If you enjoyed the game throw your money at the devs to increase the chance of ever seeing a second game.

Morkar Left

Seriously, a torrent isn't needed. The demo may be short but it shows you everything about how the game works. If you don't like the demo, I can't imagine you will like the game better after an "extended" demo.

ortucis

Prophet
Morkar said:
Seriously, a torrent isn't needed. The demo may be short but it shows you everything about how the game works. If you don't like the demo, I can't imagine you will like the game better after an "extended" demo.

You know "extended demo" is a code word for "I am never paying for this but going to pretend I pirate to demo shit to make myself feel better".

There is no excuse to pirate a game with demo already out. It's not like the guy posted a hardcore FPS build to fool everyone into buying his game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pirating an indie game that already has a demo, is basically saying you are one of the biggest fucking douche-bags on the planet. IMHO.

EDIT:

My comment was not specifically directed at you Angelo85. Since you are a fellow member of The Peoples Liberation Front of Judea For A Turn-Based cRPG's Games Society.

MMXI

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Pirating an indie game that already has a demo, is basically saying you are one of the biggest fucking douche-bags on the planet. IMHO.
:salute:

I would suck your cock if I was gay.

Morkar Left

There are few exceptions where a demo is to short to show you how the game really is. This can be an advantage for the developers or an disadvantage. Usually it is an advantage if the demo is very short when the game is bad (because it gives you the impression there is a lot more new exciting gameplay mechanics). Therefore more testing can be good.

Here the demo is short but it shows you everything you can expect from the game.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Clockwork Knight said:
The number of pirated copies of a game do not translate into a number of lost sales, unless said game is indie and has a demo - Tyrax Lightning
:lol:

The only indie cRPG that I have ever bought was The Omega Syndrome.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just can't understand cunts whining that 20 dollars is too much for a new game. Imagine them being alive in the 80's or early 90's and having to pay 60-80 dollars for games that looked barely better than roguelikes.

It's fucking an houror two worth of wages for fucks sake! So you'll go without a bucket of the Colonel's crispy goodness for a day, fuck!

Black Cat

Magister
ortucis said:
There is no excuse to pirate a game with demo already out.

What about the less money I waste in games the more money I have for thingies and stuffies I can't get for free, for example? Seems pretty solid to me.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Jaesun: no worries, didn't read your comment in that way even before the edit.
I actually didn't download the Torrent. May the invisible man in the sky strike me down with a lightning bolt if I lie!

Like I outlined in a previous post in this Thread, I tried out the Demo and don't think I would want to put up with the full game in it's current state.
If there should be a Patch though that takes care of the major gripe I had while playing the Demo (the issue of taking too many clicks to get the information you desire / carry out the action you want) I might be tempted to buy the full version.

I belong to the rare brand of idealistic guys/dreamers/fools who do buy the Indie games they like, even if there should exist a cracked version, in order to support 'them' - the Dev(s) and their ideas as well as their effort, the Indie movement as a whole and of course I pay them money in hopes to see a sequel to the game I liked (or any other game from the same Devs for that matter).

The last game I bought for example was Orcs must Die, even though I had torrented it previously (it came out as torrent even before it got released on Steam, couldn't handle the wait - typical gaming nerd :D).

Morkar Left

Black Cat said:
ortucis said:
There is no excuse to pirate a game with demo already out.

What about the less money I waste in games the more money I have for thingies and stuffies I can't get for free, for example? Seems pretty solid to me.

I'm sure excluding freeloaders and cheapskates was exactly his point.

Black Cat

Magister
Morkar said:

And mine was that pirating games doesn't turn you into neither a freestuffie nor a cheapthingie. I'm not poor, and some months I spend more money on shit you would deem useless than most people here spends on games. Yet that's exactly the point: There are many other thingies I can use my money for. Thingies, and stuffies, I can't get in other way, like cool clothes and going with my friends to famous coktail bars and getting both old books and obscure books no one even know exist so they haven't been scanned, or books the edition I need of which are not to be found in the web. Sure, I could not do that and buy games, or actually stop playing games which would be more realistic, but what would be the point?

What's, actually, the rationalization to pay for something you can both get for free and wouldn't really miss if you were not able to get it? We are talking videogames here. I'm sure you get all butthurt every time a company you enjoy playing games from goes under, but who really cares? We are talking videogames, nothing else. Given I wouldn't waste my money on thingies like videogames if forced to choose, what is their loss?

So, again, the point is that there are many excuses to pirate games which aren't I want to try it out or I'm poor and hungry. And the only point against it, given it isn't hard to get away with it right now, would be it's immoral, which isn't really a factor there.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Walking speed should be faster and you should be able to increase animation speed like in Wiz8.

Other than that, I enjoy it so far.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
commie said:
I just can't understand cunts whining that 20 dollars is too much for a new game. Imagine them being alive in the 80's or early 90's and having to pay 60-80 dollars for games that looked barely better than roguelikes.

It's fucking an houror two worth of wages for fucks sake! So you'll go without a bucket of the Colonel's crispy goodness for a day, fuck!
Over-privileged spoiled shit detected. 20$ is 10 hourly wages around here.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
commie said:

Over-privileged spoiled shit detected. 20$ is 10 hourly wages around here.

W Tuskolandii gry kosztuja kilka zlotych. Sam Wiedzmiak duzo tanszy w porownaniu do ceny na zgnilym zachodzie. Nie becz jak suka gdy masz tak dobrze.

I was getting $20 an hour working at McDonalds, so hardly 'spoiled shit'. If anything, my historical wages have been at the lower end of the pay scale in Australia. This is the audience that I was talking about at any rate, not the handful of Poles and other underprivileged niggers who can't afford western software.

quasimodo

Augur
Black Cat said:
Morkar said:

And mine was that pirating games doesn't turn you into neither a freestuffie nor a cheapthingie. I'm not poor, and some months I spend more money on shit you would deem useless than most people here spends on games. Yet that's exactly the point: There are many other thingies I can use my money for. Thingies, and stuffies, I can't get in other way, like cool clothes and going with my friends to famous coktail bars and getting both old books and obscure books no one even know exist so they haven't been scanned, or books the edition I need of which are not to be found in the web. Sure, I could not do that and buy games, or actually stop playing games which would be more realistic, but what would be the point?

What's, actually, the rationalization to pay for something you can both get for free and wouldn't really miss if you were not able to get it? We are talking videogames here. I'm sure you get all butthurt every time a company you enjoy playing games from goes under, but who really cares? We are talking videogames, nothing else. Given I wouldn't waste my money on thingies like videogames if forced to choose, what is their loss?

So, again, the point is that there are many excuses to pirate games which aren't I want to try it out or I'm poor and hungry. And the only point against it, given it isn't hard to get away with it right now, would be it's immoral, which isn't really a factor there.

So its immoral to not pay for books, clothes and drinks, but not immoral to not pay for games?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
commie said:
I was getting $20 an hour working at McDonalds, so hardly 'spoiled shit'. If anything, my historical wages have been at the lower end of the pay scale in Australia.
It doesn't fucking matter whenever your wages are at lower end and where you worked. You're still a spoiled shit for getting a game for a hour of unskilled work and then complaining that people who would get 2-3$ for doing the same work find indie games too expensive.

quasimodo said:
So its immoral to not pay for books, clothes and drinks, but not immoral to not pay for games?
You need to remove books, clothes and drinks from the inventory and usually have them served to you, so yes.

Morkar Left

Black Cat said:
Morkar said:

What's, actually, the rationalization to pay for something you can both get for free and wouldn't really miss if you were not able to get it? We are talking videogames here. I'm sure you get all butthurt every time a company you enjoy playing games from goes under, but who really cares? We are talking videogames, nothing else. Given I wouldn't waste my money on thingies like videogames if forced to choose, what is their loss? So, again, the point is that there are many excuses to pirate games which aren't I want to try it out or I'm poor and hungry. And the only point against it, given it isn't hard to get away with it right now, would be it's immoral, which isn't really a factor there.

That's basically the definition of freeloader and cheapskate. If you would be really poor I could understand.

Black Cat said:

Why do you consider immorality not a factor here?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It doesn't fucking matter whenever your wages are at lower end and where you worked. You're still a spoiled shit for getting a game for a hour of unskilled work and then complaining that people who would get 2-3$ for doing the same work find indie games too expensive.
Boohoo. Then don't buy the fucking games. Don't use price as an excuse to justify piracy. It's fuckers like YOU that are the SPOILED SHITS, thinking that just cause you want something then you deserve to have it in any way possible. I can't afford a Lamborghini but I don't go and steal one just to have it. When I was younger it took me fucking forever to save up money for a game. If I couldn't afford it, I went without. I missed out on countless classics because I didn't have the money for them. Did I decide to steal them? No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom