Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN claims Obsidian is working on KOTOR 3

Drakron

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Stark said:
I disagree. I've only played Kotor 1 and I think it's a fine crpg. It may not qualify as a great crpg but it is definately a fine one.
What's fine about it?

There is one thing, you could use your skill to pass some of the puzzles ... unlike other cRPGs that require the player to know the anwer even if the character stats were high enough for him to figure it out.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Stark said:
It may be the case that, no matter how i choose the response the end results are the same, but keep in mind that it was my first (and only) playthrough, i wasn't sure whatever choice i made actually would make a difference. (I never played it more than once so i can't be sure).
Well, the results are the same. Now you know.

Spazmo

Erudite
Wait a minute... he exists! I thought it was just a myth, but Stark is living proof. This "mass consumer" person who's amazed by the simplest and stupidest of plots and only plays through a game once--the person BioWare bases (blames) all their design choices on--he's real! I thought they were just making it up to avoid hard work, but here we are. Wow.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It should be pointed out that even thoguh the Codex is too retarded to realize it; but many KOTOR series quests have multiple ways to complete them.

Booyah to the REAL role-players!

ie. Not this site and their cumming for POR2!!!

Stark

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Wait a minute... he exists! I thought it was just a myth, but Stark is living proof. This "mass consumer" person who's amazed by the simplest and stupidest of plots and only plays through a game once--the person BioWare bases (blames) all their design choices on--he's real! I thought they were just making it up to avoid hard work, but here we are. Wow.

I would respond by pointing out that i can generally detect usual Bioware ploy of offering fake choices that all lead to the same conclusion when i am playing it. it would generally be obvious to me when i encounter it.

It was just that there were a number of instances in Kotor 1 where i couldn't be sure all choices lead to the same conclusion anymore.

So take it whichever way you want, kotor is not good enough to entice me to play through it a second time to check out if the decision leads to the same conclusion. for the 30plus hours i invested in it i felt i had enjoyed myself.

Spazmo

Erudite
So it's not good enough for a second playthrough but it is "fine" enough to spend $50 on? Yeah, like I said, the ideal BioWare customer. You'll give them your money, but you don't expect them to put in much replayability because hey, you're not going to play it twiice anyways.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
And KOTOR, like most SW games, is vanilla flavoured shit with a shitty fruity background and is akin to eating a chocolate bar with the plastic wrapper still on.
(I'm tempted to put "IMHO"

Please do not put IMHO! Every intelligent, real role-player has the same opinion.

Stark

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
So it's not good enough for a second playthrough but it is "fine" enough to spend $50 on? Yeah, like I said, the ideal BioWare customer. You'll give them your money, but you don't expect them to put in much replayability because hey, you're not going to play it twiice anyways.

Good grief. Spazmo. I thought you're more intelligent than that. Why would i not want them to put in more replayability? If it is really a really good game of course i would want to replay it. I paid for it afterall.

now if i am not enticed enough to replay it, it is now somehow my fault? get your reasoning right before trying to force words into people's mouth just so that you get to score another Bioware bashing. :roll:

Feargus Urquhart

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Well, I thought I would just add that Project New Jersey is not KotOR3. I don't think Sawyer hoped up here and said that already - apologies if he already did.

kris

Arcane
Feargus Urquhart said:
Well, I thought I would just add that Project New Jersey is not KotOR3. I don't think Sawyer hoped up here and said that already - apologies if he already did.

We pretty much nailed that one, but are still in the dark about the part you did NOT mention. KOTOR3 that would be.

obediah

Erudite
Spazmo said:
So it's not good enough for a second playthrough but it is "fine" enough to spend $50 on? Yeah, like I said, the ideal BioWare customer.

This isn't a secret. I think bioware is pretty open that they want to focus their effort on content that everyone gets the first time through the game. It's their money and their choice and it seems to be working out for them. It may make the games more adventutery than rpg'ey, but it doesn't make them bad or people that enjoy them idiots.

You'll give them your money, but you don't expect them to put in much replayability because hey, you're not going to play it twiice anyways.

I understand what kind of game you want, and Bioware isn't interested in making it. A lot of people are okay with only going through a given story once in their life, and Bioware understands that for those people the illusion of non-linearity is almost as good as non-linearity and oodles cheaper to produce.

Seriously, bitching about meaninless choices, or kiiddie morality in the latest Bioware game is like bitching about violence in GTA:SA. Now when they screw something up that they have traditionally gotten right (like the dreadful NWN OC), then tear into them.

If you're just pissed ( angry or drunk ) and venting, ignore everything I said. I don't want to ruin anyones therapy. :)

Stark

Liturgist
Feargus Urquhart said:

other than Project New Jersey, are there other projects planned at this point?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Feargus Urquhart said:
It would be more convincing if you said we are not working on KOTOR 3 at all. We know that PNJ is not KOTOR 3, but what about the other one(s)?

From RPGDot: "I've avoided the recent rumours on Obsidian and Star Wars: KotOR 3 but with some new job listings and coverage on multiple sites, it seems worth raising.

The most important piece of information and the only thing that could be called factual is several job vacancies on offer at CreativeHeads. While it may just be a trick of the wording, the job positions could be interpreted as three separate unannounced projects. Sifting through the positions, there are entries for an "Unannounced - 3rd Person, ACTION, RPG" on PC/PS3/XBox360, an "Unannounced - RPG" for PC/PS3/XBox360 and "Unannounced - 3rd Person, ADVENTURE, RPG" for PS3/Xbox 360 (no PC listed). "

Sammael

Liturgist
theverybigslayer said:
Please do not put IMHO! Every intelligent, real role-player has the same opinion.
That's rich, coming from a Might & Magic series fan. Lots of options for role-playing there. Yup.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
kris said:
Feargus Urquhart said:

We pretty much nailed that one, but are still in the dark about the part you did NOT mention. KOTOR3 that would be.

If he could mention something about it he would. I'll assume that is still in negotiations with LA.

kris

Arcane
Jaesun said:
kris said:
Feargus Urquhart said:

If he could mention something about it he would. I'll assume that is still in negotiations with LA.

quite obviously. But role-player got it right when mentioning that the non-mentioning could have been as much an answer as saying it.

butsomuch

Novice
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/681/681657p1.html

Obsidian's Quadruple Set

January 17, 2006 - Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on three unannounced role-playing games, according to job listing site Creative Heads.

Comprised of former several Black Isle and BioWare creators, Obsidian appears to be expanding with work expressly for next-generation and PC platforms. One game, listed as a third-person action-RPG for Xbox 360 and PS3, is possibly the third in the Knights of the Old Republic series. Neither LucasArts nor Obsidian would confirm a renewal of their work done on Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords. According to a source close to the development team, Obsidian may not have sealed the deal yet for KOTOR 3.

The second role-playing game listed (Obsidian is looking for an entry-level programmer for this title) is an RPG slated for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. This second RPG is an original intellectual property called Project New Jersey and uses the Unreal 3 Engine, according to Obsidian employees. Along with job postings for Neverwinter Knights 2 (announced in August 2004), Obsidian is also creating an adventure-RPG for Xbox 360 and PS3 (for which it's in search of a senior graphics programmer).

In addition to the Creative Heads listing is Obsidian's own job listings.

Zomg

Arbiter
Obsidian's publisher wrangler must be incredibly good to get that many irons in the fire with such a small outfit. I guess they're going to try to beat the "small developer" rap with pure aggression.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Comprised of former several Black Isle and BioWare creators,"

Hahahahahahaha!

It be nice for people to get facts straight...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Feargus Urquhart said:
It's Fallout 3 is not in production dejavu all over again.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the better example. "There is no Fallout console game called Fallout Fantasy".

Gromnir

Liturgist
Feargus Urquhart said:

which ain't really same as saying that obsidian is not currently developing kotor3 or doing a kotor sequel... not that you would. dispel rumors might kill what little outsider traffic the obsidian boards get nowadays. fergie makes good business choice in letting folks create false hype while remaining completely unaccountable.

HA! Good Fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom