Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Your grandma didn't age well when she was raped by russian soldiers.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Volourn said:
"Fallout 2 also has a much weaker story than the first Fallout,"

WTF? It's the same fuckin' story.

3/10 troll attempt.

Fallout 2 has a pretty meh story but the areas you can explore are interesting. Fallout 1 had a much better story and execution of that story though.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Come on, the story in F2 could've been redeemed if the Enclave suddenly just swoop in after the Temple of Trials ended. Vertibirds land from the skies, all hells break loose and the Chosen One must escape with just his clothes, a bag of herbs and a sharpened spear. And it will be very iconic, since you'll see the elderly vault Dweller handing over his mantle to you just before he gets gunned down by an Enclave mini gun.

It's SO much better than wandering in the middle of the desert, looking for some 'sci-fi dream gaia kit' that seems relatively unnecessary, considering they can join the modern community and learn how to hunt or other skills that doesn't require farming. All that wandering and you end up witness Enclave shit that didn't amount to much until the Brotherhood explains everything. The village's entire abduction at the start would've made tracking down the Navarro much more logical in early game, and gives the player a strong motivation to get down to business. Hell, give him a timer. Every week he spent means another villager dies. There's around 100 villagers. He has 700 days. Or there's no one left to save.

Just imagine, "I'm looking for a fleet of flying machine. Have you seen them flying from the north?" in the first town...and they'll point you towards southwest from Klamat. The player would know he's outmatched. Now he has a choice: get some tech items from the more developed communities, hone his skills, gather his allies for vengeance, or go on a kamikaze run to Navarro and ninja his way to early finish.

Wouldn't it be more satisfying than doing a speed run with some heavy-handed meta-gaming just because 'you hated this shitty fed-ex filler content?

DragoFireheart said:
Volourn said:
"Fallout 2 also has a much weaker story than the first Fallout,"

WTF? It's the same fuckin' story.

3/10 troll attempt.

Fallout 2 has a pretty meh story but the areas you can explore are interesting. Fallout 1 had a much better story and execution of that story though.

I think Volourn is talking about how the Vault / tribe needs you to get a water chip / GECK or they'll all die of dehydratation / hunger (well, they could just buy water / seeds from merchants, but then we wouldn't have a quest, would we). During your journey, you learn about a bigger threat that makes your quest irrelevant in comparison: the Master's army / Enclave is planning to ruin everyone's shit because they don't like non-mutants / mutants.

SoupNazi

RK47 said:
Come on, the story in F2 could've been redeemed if the Enclave suddenly just swoop in after the Temple of Trials ended. Vertibirds land from the skies, all hells break loose and the Chosen One must escape with just his clothes, a bag of herbs and a sharpened spear. And it will be very iconic, since you'll see the elderly vault Dweller handing over his mantle to you just before he gets gunned down by an Enclave mini gun.

It's SO much better than wandering in the middle of the desert, looking for some 'sci-fi dream gaia kit' that seems relatively unnecessary, considering they can join the modern community and learn how to hunt or other skills that doesn't require farming. All that wandering and you end up witness Enclave shit that didn't amount to much until the Brotherhood explains everything. The village's entire abduction at the start would've made tracking down the Navarro much more logical in early game, and gives the player a strong motivation to get down to business. Hell, give him a timer. Every week he spent means another villager dies. There's around 100 villagers. He has 700 days. Or there's no one left to save.

Just imagine, "I'm looking for a fleet of flying machine. Have you seen them flying from the north?" in the first town...and they'll point you towards southwest from Klamat. The player would know he's outmatched. Now he has a choice: get some tech items from the more developed communities, hone his skills, gather his allies for vengeance, or go on a kamikaze run to Navarro and ninja his way to early finish.

Wouldn't it be more satisfying than doing a speed run with some heavy-handed meta-gaming just because 'you hated this shitty fed-ex filler content?

Plot for the upcoming Fallout FPS. You'll get to romance a woman from the Bortherhood.

oh wait

Wyrmlord

Arcane
RK47 said:

If I could change Fallout 2, I would add the possibility of gathering the best armed support of the Salvatores, Wrights, Mordinos, Bishops, Tribals, NCR, Vault City, Gecko Ghouls, Marcus' Mutant Army, Brotherhood of Steel, Shi, and Hubologists to launch a full scale assault on the Enclave.

They would hide in a safe place in the outskirts of Navarro. I'd infiltrate inside as one of them, give them a signal, bomb a part of Navarro to divert all the soldiers, and wait as the entire collective California army rushes in to destroy the Enclave soldiers in the outpost. They could all then besiege the Poseidon Oil Rig with the very vertibirds manufactured by stealing those plans, hole them all up inside, and weaken their resistance.

That would make the random-seeming parts of the game more coherent with the whole.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
How would they know how to pilot the vertibirds?
Also, aren't the Salvatores reliant on the Enclave to supply them with energy weapons? What would suddenly make them turn on their benefactors?

Kaol

Educated
As an aside did anyone else find it rather amusing how FO:NV has to basically make excuses for how FO3 butchered the lore witch regards to mutants and the brotherhood of steel?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Krap said:
Also, aren't the Salvatores reliant on the Enclave to supply them with energy weapons? What would suddenly make them turn on their benefactors?

Simple human greed? Access to ALL of their stockpiles of weapons would be one huge motivation for them (as well as the other families).

Vibalist

Arcane
z o o l said:
RK47 said:
Okay so I started playing this awhile back because people kept saying it was better than Fallout 3, and I gotta say so far I am seriously underwhelmed. I've been playing for probably 5-10 hours and I have yet to meet a single interesting person that I care about. The comparison to 3 seems particularly apt here, where the very first thing you do (after the awesome character-generation/vault intro) is encounter what is probably the most interesting town in the whole game, where you are given the opportunity to set off a nuclear weapon.

It's like night and day compared to F3 -- everything feels more generic, including my protagonist.

Ok, I haven't even tried playing FO3, so I wouldn't know about the comparison but... FO2, "generic" ?

:retarded:

He's obviously trolling.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Clockwork Knight said:
It seems it's much easier to like FO2 if you play it before FO1.

Funny that, old chap.

Because I, despite living in the most geographically isolated (and yet most awesome) region of our fair land, I played Fallout first.

I loved it.

Then my father found me Fallout 2 and I told him to buy it.

I loved it even more.

So what you said is WRONG, at least in my case.
The whole "Fallout 2 was uncohesive ruined the series wah wah awh" is nothing but filthy revisionism, probrably derivated from guys like Rosh and Vault Dweller.

Fallout 2 is probrably one of the best CRPGs of all time, if not THE best.
It's more like Fallout 2 ruined the Fallout setting. I agree that it's still a one of the best cRPGs that I have ever played, though.

Zomg

Arbiter
I was annoyed that they pussied out on the pure Anti-Americanism of F1. In F2 the pre-war government became weird, stupid late cold war Reagan America, which is like using the safe version of America at its worst as the object of satire and the agent of the apocalypse (and doing stuff like making the vaults into a comedy military-industrial complex Dr. Strangelove thing). In F1 it was relatively sacrosanct WWII/Battle Hymn of the Republic America.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"3/10 troll attempt.

Fallout 2 has a pretty meh story but the areas you can explore are interesting. Fallout 1 had a much better story and execution of that story though."

Go cry elsewhere. The story is the fukkin' same as expalined above, fucktard.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
GarfunkeL said:
Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls. Like the tolling of some great bell.

I guess it's that time of the year again. Next week, Arcanum?
Not sacred enough. How about Ultimas 7.1 and 7.2 instead?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Krap said:
GarfunkeL said:
Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls. Like the tolling of some great bell.

I guess it's that time of the year again. Next week, Arcanum?
You mean Todd Howard's favourite game and main inspiration?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Excidium said:
Krap said:
You mean Todd Howard's favourite game and main inspiration?
It's quite odd how shitty devs admire and want to emulate classic games yet the good ones love the garbage churned out these days.

LoPan

Learned
Yes, heard Tim Schafer likes Minecraft and now I don't know what to believe in anymore, but is there really an extensive track record of this?

I guess what I am asking for is if anyone has a list on hand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom