Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim beaten in 2.5 hours

MetalCraze

Arcane
Excidium said:
What? Fallout 1/2 had plenty of useless perks.
Which are?

In fact, they had more shitty perks than good ones. Same with skills. And attributes. And traits.
Which are?

I love those games to death but the SPECIAL system was unbalanced as fuck. They did a much better job in New Vegas. Yeah, too bad it's a shitty shooter and stats barely matter, such is life.

Yes the problem was that SPECIAL offered a lot of skills that fit different character builds. Thankfully Fallout 3 came and replaced all of them with +5 to dmg, +5 to HP to fit the only correct (and available) character build - the shooter dude.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
MetalCraze said:
Excidium said:
What? Fallout 1/2 had plenty of useless perks.
Which are?

You know them. Just check those lists CK linked if your memory is failing. Should be p. easy to tell what you shouldn't pick.

MetalCraze said:
In fact, they had more shitty perks than good ones. Same with skills. And attributes. And traits.
Which are?
Shitty attributes:
Strength
Perception
Endurance

Slightly less shitty attributes:
Charisma
Luck

Shitty Skills:
Big guns
Throwing
Traps
Repair
Lockpicking
Stealing
Gambling
First Aid
Sneak
Barter
Outdoorsman
Doctor

Shitty traits:
Bruiser
Good natured
Heavy handeed
Skilled
Night person

MetalCraze said:
I love those games to death but the SPECIAL system was unbalanced as fuck. They did a much better job in New Vegas. Yeah, too bad it's a shitty shooter and stats barely matter, such is life.
Yes the problem was that SPECIAL offered a lot of skills that fit different character builds. Thankfully Fallout 3 came and replaced all of them with +5 to dmg, +5 to HP to fit the only correct (and available) character build - the shooter dude.
You must larp really hard in Fallout 1/2 if you see all those different character builds that totally aren't Bruce lee of the wasteland / Diplosniper.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
sea said:
Sure, there's always been that "yeah, I leveled up!" feeling, but it's been reduced to this weird Pavlovian thing where it seems like the sole purpose of playing the game is to level up. Building your character should feel meaningful within the context of the game and due to the new options it provides you, not because you've moved the counter from 43 to 44.
In before mondblut ;)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Unarmed / melee was playable in FO3, and was overpowered in NV. As for the "+ % HP, + x damage, + x to skill" popaperks, one can just look at the lists:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_perks

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_perks

And now compare these to primitive NV shit

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_perks

What the fuck is this shit :lol:
What the fuck lol. In FO1/FO2 you have perks affecting separate skills, giving additional abilities, here it's just a retarded +10% to general combat shit and almost nothing else

Excidium said:
Shitty attributes:
Strength
Perception
Endurance

Slightly less shitty attributes:
Charisma
Luck

Shitty Skills:
Big guns
Throwing
Traps
Repair
Lockpicking
Stealing
Gambling
First Aid
Sneak
Barter
Outdoorsman
Doctor

Shitty traits:
Bruiser
Good natured
Heavy handeed
Skilled
Night person

So if you don't pick them for the action-man build it makes them shit? I used quite a number of these and find a lot helpful.

The lulzy bit is that you didn't mention Bloody Mess as shit while mentioning quite good ones. It's the most useless shit in Fallout since apart from gibs it does absolutely nothing.

You must larp really hard in Fallout 1/2 if you see all those different character builds that totally aren't Bruce lee of the wasteland / Diplosniper.
A few years ago I've posted about my experiences as a sneaky character. It was quite fun.

That's already 3 times more builds than the only one possible in NV

Twinkle

Liturgist
Excidium said:
MetalCraze said:
Fallout 1/2 didn't have stupid ones.

What? Fallout 1/2 had plenty of useless perks. In fact, they had more shitty perks than good ones. Same with skills. And attributes. And traits...

So F3/NV have fixed it by making ALL attributes pretty much irrelevant? :lol:

The majority of skills and perks in F3/NV is just as pointless. They simply castrated the number of options, that's pretty much the only "balancing" act they performed.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
MetalCraze said:
So if you don't pick them for the action-man build it makes them shit? I used quite a number of these and find a lot helpful.
The point is that those skills and most of the characteristics in Fallout 1/2 are extremely situational, which is a terrible design in a single character game.

Twinkle said:
The majority of skills and perks in F3/NV is just as pointless. They simply castrated the number of options, that's pretty much the only "balancing" act they performed.
In FNV, they at least tried to make the non-combat skills useful outside of simple skill checks, like repair allowing you to fix weapon durability and recycle ammo, etc.

Twinkle

Liturgist
repair allowing you to fix weapon durability and recycle ammo

That would be all nice if evolved Fallouts had at least minimal survival angle apart from super-cheesy and pointless cannibalism and drinking from toilets. Players are still showered with ammo and loot, and PC can repair stuff instantly in Pip-Boy menu without investing anything in relevant skill. In b4 modders have fixed it. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, well...the game being a super easy shooter hybrid kinda makes all the rule improvements pointless...

thesoup

Arcane
How the fuck did you end up talking about fallout attributes and perks?

Well anyway, this reminds me of that video of a guy completing Torment in an hour.

Satan

Educated
I don't know exactly why, but this thread made me want to replay ToEE.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Excidium said:
Charles.gif
: I think many good and useful skills, traits and perks in FO(2) are useless and the completely broken ones FO3NV did everything much better.
:what:
You're a bro, but seriously, WTF?!? Is this just an attempt to troll skyway?

Renegen

Arcane
Bros, get the Full SPECIAL Stat Overhaul for NV, it improves every attribute to make them closer to the originals. http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39320

There's also similar mods for classic traits, perks and so on. I think FO3 made every attribute useless because it's part of the trend to dull RPG customization because some retard might think starting a game with 1 STR and 1 END is a good idea, then promptly die and rage quit. Instead the "customization" is done through other means, like your items, in theory.

I agree a lot of stuff is useless in FO1&2. FO2 really improved overall the balance of skills and attributes I find. As for traits and perks, well I just very recently started my first game with skilled. Skilled + 10 int = 30 skill points per level, enough to have 100 in every non combat skill, which is my goal. The fewer perks aren't that big of a deal I found, I mean how many just take Awareness?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Shannow said:
Excidium said:
Charles.gif
: I think many good and useful skills, traits and perks in FO(2) are useless and the completely broken ones FO3NV did everything much better.
Yes and no...I'm just arguing for the sake of it but I do like some of the changes in the system.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Angelo85 said:
The less time it takes to beat a RPG, the better it actually is. It is known.

You know, I think this is actually true. Not just for RPGs, but for games in general.

Quake can be beaten in 12 minutes, Prince of Persia in 16 minutes, Lost Vikings in less than an hour, Doom 2 on hardest difficulty in roughly 30 minutes... the list goes on. The best example is probably the original Monkey Island game, which I have personally completed in about 6 seconds, give or take a few seconds. Not fucking joking here, it can be done.

Half-Life 2 can be beaten in about 90 minutes or so, due to some extremely clever abuse of the Source engine. Unfortunately, Valve seem to have been personally insulted by this, so all their future Source games FORCE you to go through all the motions. (Not saying that HL2 is a good game, just sayin'.) The original Half-Life can be beaten in 30 mins, by comparison.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Shannow said:
Excidium said:
Charles.gif

How can it be a troll attempt when Exidium is right?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Unkillable Cat said:
The best example is probably the original Monkey Island game, which I have personally completed in about 6 seconds

There is a "win" parser command then?

SCO said:
Unkillable Cat said:
The best example is probably the original Monkey Island game, which I have personally completed in about 6 seconds

It's probably a variant of "kill self".

That reminds me of that jrpg, Metal Saga. You can finish it in 15 minutes when you reach the second town, by asking the girl at the workshop to marry you (and then learn about how you ended divorcing her years later, after a hellish marriage); or you could complete it before even starting, by telling your mom that you'd rather work with her as a mechanic at the workshop instead of becoming an adventurer (in which case you'll get some slides explaining how you had a boring, frustrating life fixing things for adventurers).

Coyote

Arcane
SCO said:
Unkillable Cat said:

In the original version, if you pressed Ctrl+W it would ask you if you want to win. Selecting "yes" would cause the game to end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom