Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One day I'll play Mount and Blade.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I saw it in a store. In a Superseller edition for 40PLN. Only a few years and it will finally drop to the Classics edition and I'll be able to buy it for 20PLN.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
FatCat said:
Use recognizable currency ? anyway i bought whole M&B pack for like 10 Euro's or smthn.
that's like 45pln currently, or smthn.

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
It is certainly a hell of a lot of fun on your first character. The replay value isn't quite as high as you'd expect with the stock version. Mods help a lot though.

MCA
It's a shit game with no redeeming value. Started out as a tech demo. Still a tech demo. It sells because you got mounted combat. I'm dumbfounded that none of the AAA publishers have taken the hint and produced their own mounted medieval combat game.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
villain of the story said:
It's a shit game with no redeeming value. Started out as a tech demo. Still a tech demo. It sells because you got mounted combat. I'm dumbfounded that none of the AAA publishers have taken the hint and produced their own mounted medieval combat game.
Even the version sold in stores?

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

This. When was the first playable beta released, 2007? It is goddamned end of 2011 and all they did is polishing graphics (still shit), removing some bugs, and adding some minor functionalities (firearms etc.).
Where is the fucking story after all those fucking 4 years? It is still about riding your horse with your cohorts swinging your sword or shooting with your bow. So much potential, and such a little progress... And all those mods that do nothing but change setting and adding some minor chanes resulting in tech demo ad 2007 being tech demo 2011 :roll:

edit::::
Awor - yes, stil the same shit.

Shit, they even developed interesting stats system 4 years ago and still nothing came out of it :x

zeitgeist

Magister
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Even the version sold in stores?
Yes.

Turjan

Arcane
It's a fun little diversion. I don't think it was supposed to be a full-fledged RPG, at least not during the last years.

MCA
For a couple hours, yes. Then you have seen everything and the novelty has worn off. At least large scale battles in multiplayer could have been fun if the combat wasn't shit.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
003_Bress.gif

Tell me more about that

Phelot

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
What's wrong with combat?

Nothing other than it's simple aRPG style. And I mean VERY simple, but fun though it's also repetitive to an extreme. Of course if you aren't using a mod that turns off friendly melee fire than you'll end up killing half your troops during sieges.

M&B is the sort of game you buy for mods. Vanilla is fun for a bit, but then you'll want to go from mod to mod. The better mods add more stuff to do since it's a sandbox game at heart, but with little else to do other than combat and mindless conquer.

Turjan

Arcane
For a couple hours, yes. Then you have seen everything and the novelty has worn off. At least large scale battles in multiplayer could have been fun if the combat wasn't shit.
Not sure about you, but I didn't get my own castle within a couple of hours. I played the game for a few weeks (on and off). It was definitely worth the few dollars I paid for it. It's been a few years since I have played it, though.

oscar

Arcane
1. There are some awesome mods for it (Prophecy of Pendor, that Dark Age Britain one) that far exceed vanilla

2. Fuck you, graphics aren't bad at all. I'd even say they're good. Crisp textures and smooth animations.
_-Mount-Blade-With-Fire-and-Sword-PC-_.jpg

mount-blade-warband_016.jpg

MountBlade_WithFireandSword_mb50-590x332.jpg

3. Combat is relatively simple (think a less retarded Dynasty Warriors), but very satisfying and there is alot of difference between using an axe or a lance, or shooting from horseback or using a crossbow. These give the game a fair bit of a variety. In addition death often comes quite quickly.

4. Yes the game is a sandbox, so there is no overarching plot. But it's pretty obvious what your supposed to do. Get money (quite a few different ways to do this from trade and investment in industry to raiding caravans), get a nice big mercenary band, go around fucking shit up until your respected enough to join one of the factions and then become a noble in one of the factions.

I had a lot of fun with it.

MCA
Turjan said:
Not sure about you, but I didn't get my own castle within a couple of hours. I played the game for a few weeks (on and off). It was definitely worth the few dollars I paid for it. It's been a few years since I have played it, though.

And what great adventures did you have while working towards your castle or after?

And I just don't get what's satisfying about combat. It's shit (and just as unrealistic as anything else). It isn't even brutal so you don't get Braveheart type of adrenaline pumped gory action either. It's bland. (in before retards jump "real combat would be bland too herp derp)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The combat is great but the game is extremely shallow (my impressions are based on Warband so maybe Fire and Sword is better?). It has less complexity than those eighties board games like Conquests of the Empire, Fortress America, and Axis and Allies. Unmodded is rife with lazy design: currency is worthless after you reach the stage where you control a fief/village, improvements/managements are a joke and have little bearing on game play, the AI is pretty questionable even on the hardest setting, a lot of the attributes are utterly pointless, and a host of other issues. That said I still put about a hundred hours into it but it could have been a lot more. Apparently a Mount & Blade 2 is in the works so we'll see if they actually do something with the franchise.

Satan

Educated
M&B2 in the works? Woohoo! Are they making a new engine or improving the already made one? Is it going to be medieval once again or will they make something new, like ancient times?

Satan

Educated
the roman empire with invading barbarians would be a sweet thing for M&B

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom