Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic unofficial patch

kyrub

Augur
Re: Great job keep it up!

danish said:
I was just curious, are you a programmer or is this just your hobby?
Pure hobby. I have no programming background at all, once upon a time I tried to self-learn pascal, very bad at html coding as well. Guess I could do it better in 8086 assembler now, hehe.

I loved math when at school, but I do other things for living. This is a fruit of my math starvation, an ongoing ultra-hard puzzle. IDA rocks.

Also have you played star wars rebellion? It offers multiplayer which is great although the original AI sucks. Maybe you could improve it.
Sorry, can't go the unknown way. It is very hard to disassemble a program with unfamiliar functionnality (see EoFS case). So I focus on a few games I played 10 years ago. Like MoM, MoO, SMAC...

danish

Novice
please post the link to editor that can change unit stats like swords and shields and spell costs and effects.
Can you make such an editor if one doesn't exist already. I know save game editors exist but I'm talking about editing things like what a spell can do , how many figures a paladin unit has, how much mana a spell costs, how much damage a sky drakes breath does, how much mana a node produces, how much adamantium raises your attack by..
Thanks a lot

kyrub

Augur
danish, either you are lazy or you cannot google.
There's a very active MoM community on Realms beyond Orion (or RBO) website, where you can get anything that edits MoM, including the very best ILSE's real time tweaker or the famous joel schlecht's units editor.

As for others...
1) No, I will not make a special modding tool for you.
2) No, I will not make a mod for some SEGA game of your taste.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Probably already answered, but does it gel with the GoG version?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
sser said:
Probably already answered, but does it gel with the GoG version?
I installed and used the previous version without any problems. Haven't tried this one yet (travelling). Cheers for Kyrub!

edit: Kyrub, your last link works, but could you also edit the first post of the thread so that the link there doesn't give the 404 error? Thanks!

Elwro

Arcane
There seems to be a pathfinding bug - instead of going in straight lines units are always going in L-lines.

Also, I fit my entire 8 unit army onto one trireme.

Loving the game, though!

kyrub

Augur
Elwro said:
There seems to be a pathfinding bug - instead of going in straight lines units are always going in L-lines.
Please, give me a save with the thing. I have had no such reports.

Yep. This was THE one necessary game rules correction. The AI sea transport was absolutely messed up. Raising the transport capacity of all vessels was necessary to unlock the AI capacity to load its navy with units. I cannot do better than that. On the other hand, people do not tend to complain, some of them find the change cool. The only real downside is the Floating island spell, which has become even more useless than before.

Elwro

Arcane
I agree the trireme change is good, just wasn't sure this was intended.

As for the savegame, I'll do my best, but I'm still travelling (and now writing from a different machine), if you don't hear from me in a few days it will mean you will get the file early October.

Thanks for your great work once again!

Elwro

Arcane
OK, this was my mistake. The paths seem to be economical, but they ARE weird. See for yourself:

MoM_weird_path.png

There is no faster way to the target square, but what's the justification for the chosen route? :D

For example, frequently, when I'd expect my unit to move 3 squares in a straight line, they make one step forward, one diagonal, and one diagonal in the other direction.

Just finished a playthrough using 1.40k. Great fun!

Renegen

Arcane
kyrub said:
Elwro said:
Please, give me a save with the thing. I have had no such reports.

Yep. This was THE one necessary game rules correction. The AI sea transport was absolutely messed up. Raising the transport capacity of all vessels was necessary to unlock the AI capacity to load its navy with units. I cannot do better than that. On the other hand, people do not tend to complain, some of them find the change cool. The only real downside is the Floating island spell, which has become even more useless than before.

I liked the Floating Island spell because it provided greater flexibility to Blue magic wizards. Other wizards had real trouble to expand across the sea. Personally, this game alone to triremes makes me stick to vanilla, and I just play with large land masses on.

Elwro

Arcane
DwarvenFood said:
maybe it explores more of the map in that manner ?
This is a good idea, haven't thought of that. Still, the game works this way even if the whole map is visible, and for this I still don't see a justification...

kyrub

Augur
Renegen said:
I liked the Floating Island spell because it provided greater flexibility to Blue magic wizards. Other wizards had real trouble to expand across the sea. Personally, this game alone to triremes makes me stick to vanilla, and I just play with large land masses on.
I understand your stance. This feature is really unfinished and floating island is a bit undervalued (note that it can be moded with one of the game editors, though).

I spent 2-3 weeks while trying to fix AI sailing alone, before I found this solution. It's not ideal, but better (for me) than seeing 7 AI ships glued to the coast with 7 idle stacks unable to get on board. Try running 1.31 game with ALT+RVL cheat and you will see what I mean, land masses are irrelevant.

Elwro: have no exact idea about the guts of pathfinding, pretty compicated algorithms. I'm happy you enjoy the k game!
- Currently, I am helping out with a new, extensive mod for MoM, named Catnip. Hopefully it will come good.

Elwro

Arcane
kyrub said:
I'm happy you enjoy the k game!
- Currently, I am helping out with a new, extensive mod for MoM, named Catnip. Hopefully it will come good.
Great to hear! It'd be nice if you posted some info here when the thing is completed (or just playable); the game seems to have quite a few players here.

kyrub

Augur
http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4211

1.40l - New version is out!
A lot of changes, big update. New options, some bug fixes, AI advancement. Enjoy!

Version 1.40l
------------------------
- [bug] Armaggedon does not destroy all pacifying effects, it just increases rebels by 2
- [bug] ditched all (?) the stupid dispel bugs I've put in the game (please report any further problems with dispels!)
- [bug] AI is now able to create all magical items from the whole power range
- [bug] new items, written by player with use of itemmake.exe, will now have correct book prerequisites

- [game option] new world size, "Huge", is 33% bigger than Large. It creates a huge continent to fight for.
- [game option] new difficulty level "Extreme", same as Impossible, but with 25% lower AI bonuses
- [game option] new choice for magic strength, ranging from 0.5 - 2.5 x normal (strength of lair monsters, the rewards and the mana from nodes)

- AI now tries to protect his fortress with better defense
- AI mercenary hiring decision has notably improved
- AI will occasionnally buy a magical item from the merchant

-it is now impossible to get better hero by reloading before a summon
-it is now impossibe to get better reward from lair by reloading before the battle

- [intfce] all hidden To hit and To defend bonuses are now displayed in the detailed unit infobox.

Elwro

Arcane
kyrub said:

- [intfce] all hidden To hit and To defend bonuses are now displayed in the detailed unit infobox.
I find these changes particularly interesting and needed. Great! Don't know when I'll have time to play with this, but I will :D

Thrasher

Erudite
Elwro said:
kyrub said:

I find these changes particularly interesting and needed. Great! Don't know when I'll have time to play with this, but I will :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom