Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Could we jst ban people who say they pirate new indie games?

Luigi

Barely Literate
I am going to kill Obama.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Again, on the subject of interviews and "respectability", you guys really think trying to make us look less like a bunch of rampant pirates is going to help us get more interviews? Even "recruiting editors" to start writing reviews and (hate-)articles on shit for free to get more people to join sounds(lots of people posting = more chance of being seen as worthy of interviews and shit) more effective, and we were having server issues related to traffic, right? I dunno, you guys probably know more about interviews and shit, just sayian

MisterStone said:
Let's see, who else have I missed here...

@People who use retarded straw man arguments- :ignore:

@People who logged on with an alt to try and troll me - :ignore:

@People who mock me for actually posting in earnest about something related to the goals of this website- Of course! God forbid someone might try to articulate a serious point somewhere on teh Internet, much less here. Please post more vapid shit for us read.
:retarded:

You're outdoing dragofireheart, keep fighting the good fight

Black Cat

Magister
@ DarkUnderlord

Do you have a problem with us every now and then posting links to obscure japanese indies which are impossible to get outside of japan, if not impossible to get at all? Those are usually only seen as problematic if their publishing rights have been secured by some western group or stuffies, so, like, posting links to Trouble Witches would be against the rules given there is a western published version of it, but what would happen with, say, Hellsinker or the GXTH games, which are kind of totally impossible to get outside of japan as there's no one publishing it in the civilized world?

I, and maybe others, have ocassionally given links to those of the later group, the unpublished and almost impossible to find ones, not to be smug about piracy but to allow people to play them given they being really hard to find even for us who are into that scene, so you can imagine how hard it would be for someone outside of it to get them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Posting the usual sociopathic bullshit the codex is infamous for: perfectly acceptable behavior

Stating you own an illegal copy of independently developed software: bannable offense

Jason

chasing a bee
I am a nubile teenage girl who is desperately turned on by fat lonely nerds so please pm me ASAP
1) Seems rather unlikely that RPG Codex is the absolutely only place on the internet where people infatuated with obscure Japanese entertainment products would gather and would have such information available. You have been on the internet before, right?

2) If there's any doubt, take it to PMs. Tell interested folk to PM you for more information.

kris

Arcane
Zarniwoop said:
Seems like the trolling is working...

I know you are really cool and not really touched by trolling and that many other are. Yet I remember back in the day when trolling was something you didn't see or saw very seldom. It wasn't that many years ago. Now it is everywhere by so many that you might wonder if humans have been afflicted with some kind of brainvirus.

And I hardly ever even check GD anymore.

I just yesterday replied in another forum when some people talked about "pirates club". I said that I don't care that they pirate, but why do they find a need to brag about it nad announce it? Same goes here.

ps. This was supposed to be posted yesterday, but I forgot to press the submit button.

MCA
kris said:
Zarniwoop said:
Seems like the trolling is working...

I know you are really cool and not really touched by trolling and that many other are. Yet I remember back in the day when trolling was something you didn't see or saw very seldom. It wasn't that many years ago. Now it is everywhere by so many that you might wonder if humans have been afflicted with some kind of brainvirus.

And I hardly ever even check GD anymore.

I just yesterday replied in another forum when some people talked about "pirates club". I said that I don't care that they pirate, but why do they find a need to brag about it nad announce it? Same goes here.

ps. This was supposed to be posted yesterday, but I forgot to press the submit button.

YOU'RE A GENIUS! Gave me the perfect idea for a game of derps: a game where infected NPCs turn into motherfucking zombies trolls! and mind fuck you with nonsensical stuff, like sending you on a non-existing quest or after nonexisting characters.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you restrict piracy-talk to the GD, would it not work in our best interest to also restrict GD to registered members only ? I believe it was so for a while (don't really know if true, auto-login here)

Coyote

Arcane
MisterStone said:
I never suggested that any discussion of piracy should result in banning, so the whole "slippery slope argument" of "Well one day they start banning people for talking about piracy so they can get a few more dev interviews, and within a couple of months they'll give Skyrim a glorious write-up in exchange for the right to blow Todd Howard before anyone else at the release party..." doesn't really make sense.

All I am saying is that if someone states their intent to pirate a particular new indie game (which they mention by name), or tells people that they have already done so, then they should be "punished" in the context of this forum. I use the word "new" because I find it hard to blame people for pirating an old game that is not easily available or active as a profitable IP, and "indie" because I felt that it would be harder to make the whole 'fuck da corporashuns' argument if we narrow this down a bit.

That doesn't really change my response, which boils down to "I don't think the Codex should be in the business of banning people for saying stupid shit, regardless of whether I personally dislike, am indifferent to, or am amused by said stupid shit". (There are some exceptions, but they're irrelevant to the case you're describing.) Excidium's post pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Also,

I never suggested that any discussion of piracy should result in banning, so the whole "slippery slope argument" of "Well one day they start banning people for talking about piracy so they can get a few more dev interviews, and within a couple of months they'll give Skyrim a glorious write-up in exchange for the right to blow Todd Howard before anyone else at the release party..." doesn't really make sense.

@People who use retarded straw man arguments- :ignore:

:hmmm:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Excidium said:
Posting the usual sociopathic bullshit the codex is infamous for: perfectly acceptable behavior

Stating you own an illegal copy of independently developed software: bannable offense
They call it moral nowadays.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
It probably didn't decrease the server load problems or something like that.
I thought that decision was motivated more by trying to make the codex look more respectable, or someone really thought that people flocking here was because is a more 'liberal' version of Stormfront'?

Unwanted

Atheist

Unwanted
Shitposter
Xpuw0.png

http://i.imgur.com/Xpuw0.png

EG

Nullified
So, how will you fellows determine if the claim of piracy is mere meme-spewing as so many Codexers are want to do? No one remembers a similar discussion regarding threats of bodily harm to family members not 6 months ago?

Not that I am unbiased, being one of the "infringe now, buy later" variety.

Black Cat

Magister
Jason said:
I am a something or another feline-ish witch who wouldn't, like, touch most people here with a six foot long pole yet totally likes to talk about cool videogames with people who knows their videogaming in a context in which doing so wouldn't ruin her reputation and stuffies. And thingies, too. Nya!

There, I fixed it for you because I have a heart this big.

Jason said:
1) Seems rather unlikely that RPG Codex is the absolutely only place on the internet where people infatuated with obscure Japanese entertainment products would gather and would have such information available. You have been on the internet before, right?

Of course. But, like, reading comprehension. Back when I created the GXTH thread finding those games, the GXTH ones, was pretty much impossible for us westerners. As in, like, literaly impossible: From all the linkies my friends had given me when I asked there was only one torrent which wasn't, like, totally dead (and buried), and it had a single seed.

You, being an awful person lacking in soul and heart and goodness and ethics, would have told the interested people to get those, to get such really hard to find thingies, by themselves or go away. I, being nice and cuddly and awesome, shared my links, which were about to expire anyway, with them. See? I'm nicer than you and spread the Wizardry love with everyone as should be KKKodexia's creed, live with it.

I also have fluffy ears and a tail with a pretty ribbon, live with that too. And a witch's hat, are you eyes green with envy yet?

Jason said:
2) If there's any doubt, take it to PMs. Tell interested folk to PM you for more information.

That's kind of cool. I'll be like the feline-ish masked corsair witch, secretly journeying the seven seas and helping those less fortunate and cool and awesome than myself to find those pieces of loot with really stupid drop rates, and going pew pew with full broadsides against the forces of the man from the cover of enchanting and glittering argent mists, and... Like, sure. I can do that, alright. :3

Now I just need a really cool pirate name. Like, 20% cooler.

Jason said:
chasing a bee

Under Miss Crooky's spell, aren't we? Fufufu. I won't tell, don't worry.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
M4BE1R0 said:
You're outdoing dragofireheart, keep fighting the good fight

- My name was used. I shall grant thee three wishes of my interpenetration of the wish to you.

made

Arcane
stuffies

...just testin'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom