Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character designs that look cool without being stupid?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Sarif_1480.jpg

Hey Adam, look I know it's a tall order to ask you to go on this ridiculous suicide mission that could get you killed and arrested in another part of the world, but could you please do this as a favour for an old pal? Yeah thanks, I know I can always trust you.

Quilty

Magister
So...much...anime.

The decline of Codex, all rolled up in a single thread.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I'll probably get laughed at, but I'd like to pitch Tekken.

TEKKENPIC1.jpg

The picture is a real clusterfuck, I admit, but the Tekken series managed to establish a decent number of cool canonical cats not only visually, but also on a personal level by continuously developing their back-stories. There's also something to be said about the individuality and independence of the characters, which compares favorably (at least in my opinion) to the likes of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, where one could get the impression that nearly all the contestants work out at the same gym

streetfighterallcharactev9.jpg

or belong to the same fucked up sekrit supahero club.

1161109041959.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah I forgot to name JC Denton.

Jap-haircut dickhead from DXHR was massive decline in comparison.

Trenchcoat helps Sly Boots a lot too. Back when sci fi in games wasn't just people in the future wearing medieval armor.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Spellcaster said:
As much as I like Irenicus, his appearance is shit
I thought he was a p. cool variation on the traditional wizard in RPGs. Especially his in-game model.

I also liked some of the unit designs in Battle Realms. Sure, it was a bit overdone at times (shoulder pads etc.) but the swordsman didn't look so bad.
lnImel.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Some major characters from PS:T are cool, without being especially silly (out of main cast possibly all but Annah, and Annah I can forgive since she's both likeable and p. hot) - doesn't really apply to background characters, like upper class women wearing less than common whores.

Morrowind has pretty much no traditionally designed characters, relying on combination of race, parts and apparel, but most characters look cool without being silly (exception being some instances of giant pauldrons and other such silliness).

Pretty much all major characters in Witcher 2 are made of pure own in terms of visual design.

Most characters in STALKER are ok.

Diablo player sprites barring light and medium rogue seemed pretty cool as well.

I also liked the character design in Unreal.

I won't comment on Anachronox, since it's purpose was clearly to go both cool and silly.

As for DX:HR - seriously, probably the only actually derpy element of Jensen's design were his augmented shades - conventional ones would work just as well without the wut factor.
Visual design is generally high point of HR.

And Jon Irenicus?
:lol:
Seriously, the guy looks like something Slof could have modded into the game, and he's pitched here as an example of non-derpy design? Along with his derpy bondage suit?

MetalCraze said:
Judging by the length of barrels that someone had to be small and had bayonets on his eye level.

It's a unique and deep design, man
I'd rather say it's uniquely derp design.
:smug:

Coyote

Arcane
grim_fandango_front.jpg

500014-gemini-rue-windows-screenshot-meet-azriel-odins.png

Manny's design hits just the right level of suave, and I've always been a fan of the hard-boiled detective look (which Azriel's portrait fits better than his in-game model). Roche, Garrett, and the hitman skyway posted are good, too.

Tagaziel

Scholar
DraQ said:
As for DX:HR - seriously, probably the only actually derpy element of Jensen's design were his augmented shades - conventional ones would work just as well without the wut factor.

The upside of augmented shades is that they're not going to fall off or get lost. Always wondered what JC used to keep them on, even when diving*.

*- Unless I missed the part when they're drilled into his skull.

Contribution:

1062735-prototype_243_super-1-.jpg

Ever since playing it, I always had a soft spot for Prototype character designs. And carnage.

DraQ

Arcane
Mikael Grizzly said:
DraQ said:

The upside of augmented shades is that they're not going to fall off or get lost.
The downside is that my head starts to hurt whenever I try to think how and where they retract.
:retarded:
I guess they may cause AJ some headache too when they actually do retract.
:smug:

Luigi

Barely Literate
Games are for children. "Character" design in games is straight up for retards. As this thread magnificently proves. Hell, its not even about character but clothing lines...

Its interesting too cause the artists and art directors in question usually are way over their "tits and guns" phase and understand the quality of low key design but the target group consists of Codex readers so you get moronic shit like the crap the op posted.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Mikael Grizzly said:
Excidium said:
Killing that faggot felt so good.

I don't think that's Gomez. One, the faggot is brown haired with a moustache.
I think it's him, the armor is the same, and the throne and the whores...maybe they made his face different from the concept art. Or is that supposed to be the king?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom