Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

According to DU, Skyrim is an RPG just like Fallout.

Action RPGs (like Skyrim) can just go into GG. No need to make navigation more cumbersome just to satisfy some made-up criteria. Fukken' wankers. FFS

General Gaming
Talk about any games that aren't CRPG , MMORPG, strategy or adventure. CRPG related stuff goes in the General RPG Forum. The MMORPG stuff goes in its forum. The strategy and adventure stuff go in those respective forums.

(though it's funny how General RPG Discussion doesn't mention anything about being exclusively for western crpgs...)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Clockwork Knight said:
(though it's funny how General RPG Discussion doesn't mention anything about being exclusively for western crpgs...)

We have never discussed non-western RPG's that were on PC format here?

Multi-headed Cow

Clockwork Knight said:
Action RPGs (like Skyrim) can just go into GG.

:rpgcodex:

Jaesun said:
*rabinnical response*

f4.PNG

Actually, scratch that last post. That thread you linked reminded me of the disgust-fueled opinion I had a month ago.

General Gaming is pretty useless since the new threads per day of GRPG and GG combined take maybe half a page, and codexers couldn't define what is an RPG to save their lives anyway. Just merge both and let the aspies spend five seconds skimming the thread list until they find the ones talking about the games they think qualify as RPGs

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hey DU, what about a filter system. OPs can tag their topic as [JRPG] or [ARPG] or whatever. And other forumers can simply choose what they want to read by filtering certain tags.

kris

Arcane
People could possible filter what they read by actually making a choice.

choice and consequence.

As for the topic. Cry me a river.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jaesun said:
I could go into great detail why I personally consider DA a Yet Another Shitty Action Game Labeled As A RPG With Little Or No RPG Elements, but i'd rather save that discussion for actual RPG's.
But this is so utterly and completely wrong. There are no twitch/reflex or action game elements in Dragon Age Origins at all. I could at least somewhat understand someone calling it an adventure game, but action? No.

Gord

Arcane
No matter what is being said, the decision "RPG or not" is still mostly based on whether you like the game in question or not.

Which again is based mostly on who made it, not how it's made.

Christopher V. Brady

Barely Literate
JRPGs for PC and console should be discussed here. Skyrim belongs here, as do the dragon age and mass effect games. All contain enough elements of rpgs to be called rpgs.

Skyrim IS a RPG, just like Witcher 2, even though it doesn't feel like a RPG to me, still is a RPG. The real problem for me being DE:HR: is it a RPG crossed with a FPS or a FPS disguised as a RPG? I would say that it isn't a RPG, just like the first Deus Ex or SS2 but that's just my opinion, it doesn't mean shit.

DE:HR, to me is like ME2: an action game with stats. The first ME is a genuine RPG though, even if it's not a really good one.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing video game where modders add nudity, sex, rape, and torture mods to it to enhance the role playing experience.

Monocause

Arcane
Seriously, there isn't a more pointless subject of debate on the Codex than what constitutes a 'real cRPG' and the rather peculiar offspring of the subject - 'what fits into the particular subforum and what does not'. Making a proper codexian definition wouldn't even change anything as the industry and the mainstream media have their own, lax definition and newcomers will always start new threads in the 'wrong' subforum. We're also clearly divided on the issue so the definition debate would be coming back all the time, making it all a Quixotic struggle.

I'd say the staff should allow games being discussed in the subfora which the mainstream deems appropriate and ignore the tough guy 'why is this even in the XX subforum' posts which usually mean 'I think the game is shit' anyway. Better implement a warning/ban rule against one-liner posts outside of GD if you want to keep stuff orderly and sensible.

Gord

Arcane
Monocause said:
Seriously, there isn't a more pointless subject of debate on the Codex than what constitutes a 'real cRPG' and the rather peculiar offspring of the subject - 'what fits into the particular subforum and what does not'. Making a proper codexian definition wouldn't even change anything as the industry and the mainstream media have their own, lax definition and newcomers will always start new threads in the 'wrong' subforum. We're also clearly divided on the issue so the definition debate would be coming back all the time, making it all a Quixotic struggle.

I'd say the staff should allow games being discussed in the subfora which the mainstream deems appropriate and ignore the tough guy 'why is this even in the XX subforum' posts which usually mean 'I think the game is shit' anyway. Better implement a warning/ban rule against one-liner posts outside of GD if you want to keep stuff orderly and sensible.

Well said.

Also here's a second line so I don't get banned.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Monocause said:
I'd say the staff should allow games being discussed in the subfora which the mainstream deems appropriate and ignore the tough guy 'why is this even in the XX subforum' posts which usually mean 'I think the game is shit' anyway.

:thumbsup:

Better implement a warning/ban rule against one-liner posts outside of GD if you want to keep stuff orderly and sensible.

:decline:

Sometimes one line is all you really need. I've been to a forum where they tried to create "meaningful discussion" by forcing people to type more than they want or need to. It was shit.

No criticism here (in this part of the post), just an honest request for clarification. Given that crpgs must include both good crpgs, bad crpgs, and so mindblowingly awful that they leave you permanently brain-damaged crpgs.

So please could you give me some examples of crpgs that are utterly mindbogglingly shithouse. I'm not talking FO:NV or other crpgs that Skyway thinks are shit, others thnk are good, and still others think are ok-ish for action rpgs. I'm talking games WORSE than DA2 and Skyrim, or at least as bad.

So please, list me some crpgs worse than Skyrim and DA2, and then explain to me why those games are still crpgs while Skyrim and DA2 aren't.

I'm just asking so that I can get my head around the distinction you are posing between an abomination of a crpg, and DA/Skyrim themselves.

Because my sneaking suspicion is that you are just asking for Skyrim/DA to be excluded from rpg discussion simply because they are abominations to the universe that ought to be burnt, with all hard disks that they have touched consecrated before further use. But if are to have a concept of crpgs, that concept needs to include abominable crpgs, not just good ones. Otherwise, we'd be better of calling rpg discussion 'only moderately shit to good crpg discussion', with all the buthurt that would entail.

Personally, I'd say that DA and Skyrim most certainly are godawful, fabric-in-universe-tearing, blood-corrupting, abominations of crpgs that would make Ayrs Rock crumble in protest, and the Statue of Liberty weep. Which means that they should be in crpg discussion - because a terrible crpg is a crpg.

In fact, putting them in general gaming just obscures how awful they are. It means that anyone who criticises Skyrim for having a streamlined skill system, or who criticises DA2 for having retarded clickfest combat, or who critices Oblivion for having no C+C and level-scaling, is actually wrong. If they aren't crpgs, then we have no business criticising them for that. Instead we should be criticising Skyrim for not being arcadey enough, for having inadequate selection of guns and predictable boss fights, for not using the medkit system and wasting too much time with dialogue that breaks the flow of the linear FPS experience. Oh wait...it isn't a FPS, it's a really shitty crpg.

Which means it should be in crpg discussion.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you know any game that require level scaling as a part of design? I guess majority of games with level scaling can be disqualified from being quality games. I wonder if someone would be able to provide proper dissertation about level scaling and RPGs.

So far, level scaling is an anathema of RPG. But I don't claim to know every theory behind all computer games.

DA2 can be in GRPG forum under the same reason as ME2 threads. It's more of RPG than ME2. Of course they screwed certain character with cat, and writing took nosedive yet again, but why pollute discussion about action games by discussion about DA2, or Skyrim.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Raghar said:
Do you know any game that require level scaling as a part of design? I guess majority of games with level scaling can be disqualified from being quality games. I wonder if someone would be able to provide proper dissertation about level scaling and RPGs.

So far, level scaling is an anathema of RPG. But I don't claim to know every theory behind all computer games.

DA2 can be in GRPG forum under the same reason as ME2 threads. It's more of RPG than ME2. Of course they screwed certain character with cat, and writing took nosedive yet again, but why pollute discussion about action games by discussion about DA2, or Skyrim.

A lot of older games had level scaling. Daggerfall and BG2 come to mind.

Gord

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Personally, I'd say that DA and Skyrim most certainly are godawful, fabric-in-universe-tearing, blood-corrupting, abominations of crpgs that would make Ayrs Rock crumble in protest, and the Statue of Liberty weep. Which means that they should be in crpg discussion - because a terrible crpg is a crpg.

You are so edgy I almost cut myself.

At least wait until the shit is out before condemning it in earnest. Everything else is stupidity.

Why? Because no matter how slim the actual chance might appear to be, it's still possible that Bethesda at least produced a formula that gives a nice aRPG.

Sordid Jester

Educated
@ Raghar - Even without level-scaling, lousy combat encounters would still be exactly that - lousy. While level scaling (when anything other than being implemented subtly or not at all) is absolute decline, it's rarely ever the only factor for finger-pointing a bad game as a bad game.

Although, it should never be used on loot. That shit's bad all over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom