Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim gameplay stream impressions.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Erzherzog said:
fucking lizards have tits.

Words escape me.

I seen a manga with bird with breasts. It was flying.

Multi-headed Cow

Comrade Goby said:
You guys are aware there is a 15+ part Let's Play up, right?

http://www.gameanyone.com/game/X360/12235.html

After watching about 4 hours or so it looks to be a better version of Oblivion, sprinkled with some Morro but the guy hasn't gotten that far in the main quest.

Also he hasn't really explored many towns other than the main ones. Some of the dungeons look really nice though.
Haven't watched much of that, but I took a peek at #15. He kills a dragon with relative ease (Chugs some healing potions and waves sword at dragon until it dies), but a giant takes less damage and kills him in one hit. Good to know that in TES giants are a bigger deal than dragons.

Rhalle

Magister
Erzherzog said:
fucking lizards have tits.

Words escape me.

I don't know if Star Trek is ultimately to blame or what, but fantasy-game designers need to remember that they aren't making a cheap TV show.

They have a medium in which they could make non-humans look virtually any way they wanted.

Yet they insist on designing creatures as if they were limited by human actors putting on makeup and silicone prosthetics.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Multi-headed Cow said:
Comrade Goby said:
You guys are aware there is a 15+ part Let's Play up, right?

http://www.gameanyone.com/game/X360/12235.html

After watching about 4 hours or so it looks to be a better version of Oblivion, sprinkled with some Morro but the guy hasn't gotten that far in the main quest.

Also he hasn't really explored many towns other than the main ones. Some of the dungeons look really nice though.
Haven't watched much of that, but I took a peek at #15. He kills a dragon with relative ease (Chugs some healing potions and waves sword at dragon until it dies), but a giant takes less damage and kills him in one hit. Good to know that in TES giants are a bigger deal than dragons.

Too me it seems like there may be too little Dragons. Considering you need a soul for each word. 15 videos and about what 6-7 hours and only 2 dragons? And the first of that 2 was the tutorial dragon that everybody would fight ni their game.

Also that dragon went down easier than the first you fight.

OuterSpace

Scholar
the dragons are probably scaled to your level while the giants aren't. That's so disappointing.

Comrade Goby

Magister
OuterSpace said:
the dragons are probably scaled to your level while the giants aren't. That's so disappointing.

That makes sense. They probably did it because you need to kill dragons to collect their souls for shouts.

Lame.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
herp derp design game mechanic without forethought as to how it will affect rest of game

Pretty much everything you need to know about Bethesda right there. They get "cool" idea, the entire game has to bend and contort just to make it vaguely work, rather than trying to understand what would actually compliment their existing core design and adding onto it in intelligent ways.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Honestly the only thing that would make sense for killing dragons would be something like Shadow of the Collosus (i.e. climb all over and find weaknesses). I'm not kidding. How else could you explain killing something so huge and well-armored?

Anyway yeah, since dragons are part of the main quest and they want anyone at any time to be able to play that they pretty much have to level scale them. Whereas the trolls don't have that requirement. Obviously Bethesda don't care any about internal world cohesion, but are they really so blind that they wouldn't see how retarded that would look? The funny thing is they wanted to add dragons no doubt for epic! factor.

sea said:
herp derp design game mechanic without forethought as to how it will affect rest of game

Pretty much everything you need to know about Bethesda right there. They get "cool" idea, the entire game has to bend and contort just to make it vaguely work, rather than trying to understand what would actually compliment their existing core design and adding onto it in intelligent ways.

Dicksmoker said:
Honestly the only thing that would make sense for killing dragons would be something like Shadow of the Collosus (i.e. climb all over and find weaknesses). I'm not kidding. How else could you explain killing something so huge and well-armored?

Anyway yeah, since dragons are part of the main quest and they want anyone at any time to be able to play that they pretty much have to level scale them. Whereas the trolls don't have that requirement. Obviously Bethesda don't care any about internal world cohesion, but are they really so blind that they wouldn't see how retarded that would look? The funny thing is they wanted to add dragons no doubt for epic! factor.

"So the story does kind of break down. But you know what? We knew that, and were OK with it, because the trade-off is, well, you get these cool followers to join you." - Bethesda

That was the response when someone pointed out a number of companions made the end-game choice of FO3 retarded, because they could have withstood the rads easily. Followers were added in late because everyone thought it'd be awesome, and they didn't give two shits what that did to the logic of the climax. It was just programmed in that the followers who could have helped all of a sudden become giant dicks and refuse what for them would be a harmless trot.

Gord

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:

And it wouldn't even be too hard to do in a non-stupid way if they tried.
A few hand-placed dragon encounters for the main-quest, where you can either find a logical reason why the fight is easy or give you some help through other means. The other dragons can roam remote places in Skyrim so that you only encounter them when you actively seek them out.
But it would probably still mean that too many idiots complain that they can't beat the evil dragons at level 2.

Btw. is there a game (except Shadow of the C. probably, have not played that) where you have good dragon fights? Because pretty much all of the games I know just have you shoot/swing/cast at the dragons from below.

curry

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:

That wouldn't work because Skyrim is for players with no attention span whatsoever.

iluvatar

Novice
The impression I get from this game is:

Good open-world game
Pretty poor RPG

With the help of the modding community it has the potential to be a pretty good open-world RPG, but I think it's going to take even more work than it took to get rid of Oblivion's flaws.

Comrade Goby

Magister
iluvatar said:

Good open-world game
Pretty poor RPG

With the help of the modding community it has the potential to be a pretty good open-world RPG, but I think it's going to take even more work than it took to get rid of Oblivion's flaws.

Why? It has less flaws than Oblivion so far (still a ton).

Level scaling that makes sense. Unique items. And more varied environments/dungeons.

Besides all the community needs is loli prostitution mods!

iluvatar

Novice
Comrade Goby said:
iluvatar said:

Good open-world game
Pretty poor RPG

Why? It has less flaws than Oblivion so far (still a ton).

Level scaling that makes sense. Unique items. And more varied environments/dungeons.

Besides all the community needs is loli prostitution mods!
Maybe you're right. Oblivion was pretty flawed... but there's still quite a few things i'd like to see changed in Skyrim:

• Put attributes and certain skills back into the game. Basically, the whole skill/levelling system needs to be completely revamped, without the blank slate start.
  • Separate armour pieces
  • Put weapon / armour degradation back in
  • Get rid of health regeneration
  • Get rid of finisher moves
  • Put 1st person POV horse riding in
  • Make all NPCs perishable
  • Get rid of the 3D GPS map and replace it with an in-game parchment map
  • Get rid of all the hand-holding features Bethesda have crammed into the game to increase accessibility
  • UI overhaul

The first one is obviously the biggest thing i'd like to see changed.

.Sigurd

Educated
Comrade Goby said:
iluvatar said:

Good open-world game
Pretty poor RPG

Level scaling that makes sense!
huahuahuahua no.

Black

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:

I think you'd be able to kill a dragon of the size that are in skyrim with spears and crossbows.

Of course, there's a problem there...

Gord

Arcane
Yeah, but unfortunately they aren't mega-bosses in Skyrim, just larger standard-enemies it seems...

Xi

Arcane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn0N294N ... -skyrim%2F

New video from Bethesda.

Edit:

Also, it appears as if the game has released to general pop in certain countries. If you have the console versions you can play now, however, if you have the PC version, steam prevents you from playing until Friday. Gotta love that DRM. I wonder if the law even supports the publisher stopping people from posting videos if they already have the game. IMHO, I don't think it would, but that doesn't mean a webmaster is gonna decide to ignore a call from Beth Lawyers.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Captain Shrek said:
Black said:
Dicksmoker said:

I think you'd be able to kill a dragon of the size that are in skyrim with spears and crossbows.

Of course, there's a problem there...

That problem is going to be there no matter what you do. Its almost inevitable. I have tried to think of a solution for this and the only answer to killing mega-bosses (like dragons) can be either through a deus ex machina (waking up another creature that kills it) or some interactive weapon type like a ballista or something.
It'd be cool if Dragons fled into a Dragon Gate, where you'd have to go and navigate their tower with Dragon Minions everywhere, finally succeeding when you destroy the Dragon Phylactery.

Bruticis

Xi said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn0N294NFy0&feature=feedu&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.bethsoft.com%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F1253509-new-vid-the-world-of-skyrim%2F

New video from Bethesda.
Uploaded by BethesdaSoftworks on Nov 7, 2011
This new video offers a sneak peek at the majestic world and colorful characters you'll find while exploring in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Peter

Arcane
This new video offers a sneak peek at the MAJESTIC world and colorful characters you'll find while exploring in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

They did not just do that :retarded:

Bruticis

Peter said:
This new video offers a sneak peek at the MAJESTIC world and colorful characters you'll find while exploring in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

They did not just do that :retarded:
Oh they did it. Kodex is getting counter trolled by Bethesda.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Just according to plan.

Edit: I personally would have used the word "magisterial" but "majestic" is good enough for Bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom