Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim - How Not to Make a PC Game

Morbus

Scholar
Roguey said:
Luzur said:
Bethesda, why not simply abandon the PC market and go total retar...err console instead?
Because
Current Players Peak Today Game

247,989 274,410 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
51,230 79,213 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
36,808 48,376 Team Fortress 2
WTF is that supposed to mean?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It means Bethesda is raking in the cash by the trucklaod from Steam (PC) players. I'm actually disappoint to see how many Codexers have bought this mess.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Roguey said:
Luzur said:
Bethesda, why not simply abandon the PC market and go total retar...err console instead?
Because
Current Players Peak Today Game

247,989 274,410 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
51,230 79,213 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
36,808 48,376 Team Fortress 2

Interesting. Is it possible that non-removed version with bad p2p crack is phoning home?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jaesun said:
I will never be purchasing/playing this Majestic piece of Titanic Game Development.
Seriously. In the lead up to its release I was almost certain I would try the "demo", but after reading some crap about it and watching 5 minutes of a lets play, I am fairly sure it isn't worth the download. The landscape looks about as varied as Oblivion, and that is the main appeal that Morrowind had for me and therefore all I was looking for in Skyrim. Yet it fails. The crappy UI, console port feeling, same-as-Oblivion combat and bad writing were all expected.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Zarniwoop said:
It means Bethesda is raking in the cash by the trucklaod from Steam (PC) players. I'm actually disappoint to see how many Codexers have bought this mess.
I'd be more disappointed with people voting on ARPGs or even DLCs for RPG of the year, what they do with their money and time is their own business.

Elzair

Cipher
I am now so glad I got sucked into WoW (and * Souls) and am not going to play this (at least until mods fix it).

Mister Arkham

Scholar
curry said:
Mister Arkham said:
attackfighter said:
the most annoying thing about skyrim is that the mouse sensitivity is super low and also that the sensitivity for moving vertically is lower than it is for moving the camera horizontally... fuck bethesda for thinking this shit was a good idea, they probably thought it was making the game more 'cinematic' to force you to move the camera around in such a slow, shitty manner.

This is my absolute biggest issue with the game so far. It runs well enough (just not having the problems a lot of people seem to be) and looks pretty good, and the whole thing has kind of a sense of fun to it...but why in the deep blue everloving FUCK can't I look up or down quickly? Especially in a game where there are DRAGONS dropping out of the sky at you all of the time. I mean, are you shitting me?

You can adjust mouse sensitivity in the settings menu. :roll:

You're missing the point of the complaint. The issue that attackfighter and I are talking about isn't really that there's a problem with mouse sensitivity...it's that the vertical pan is limited to about a third of the speed of the horizontal, regardless of the sensitivity level you have it on. If you turn the sensitivity slider all of the way up you get just about the same vertical sensitivity that you had horizontally on the lower end of the scale, and that's great, but--since there aren't separate x and y sliders--the horizontal pan (which was quite nice at about a quarter of the way up the scale) becomes like a carousel when making simple turns and can be outright vomit inducing in combat. I imagine that someone will find a way to fix the issue in the .ini file before too long, but it's such a stupid and easily avoided problem to begin with that I just have to question what the hell the design team was thinking when they made that decision.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Mister Arkham said:
curry said:
Mister Arkham said:
attackfighter said:
the most annoying thing about skyrim is that the mouse sensitivity is super low and also that the sensitivity for moving vertically is lower than it is for moving the camera horizontally... fuck bethesda for thinking this shit was a good idea, they probably thought it was making the game more 'cinematic' to force you to move the camera around in such a slow, shitty manner.

This is my absolute biggest issue with the game so far. It runs well enough (just not having the problems a lot of people seem to be) and looks pretty good, and the whole thing has kind of a sense of fun to it...but why in the deep blue everloving FUCK can't I look up or down quickly? Especially in a game where there are DRAGONS dropping out of the sky at you all of the time. I mean, are you shitting me?

You can adjust mouse sensitivity in the settings menu. :roll:

You're missing the point of the complaint. The issue that attackfighter and I are talking about isn't really that there's a problem with mouse sensitivity...it's that the vertical pan is limited to about a third of the speed of the horizontal, regardless of the sensitivity level you have it on. If you turn the sensitivity slider all of the way up you get just about the same vertical sensitivity that you had horizontally on the lower end of the scale, and that's great, but--since there aren't separate x and y sliders--the horizontal pan (which was quite nice at about a quarter of the way up the scale) becomes like a carousel when making simple turns and can be outright vomit inducing in combat. I imagine that someone will find a way to fix the issue in the .ini file before too long, but it's such a stupid and easily avoided problem to begin with that I just have to question what the hell the design team was thinking when they made that decision.

Did you try the mouse acceleration and vsync tweaks listed here? http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/11/t...e-graphics-disable-vsync-change-fov-and-more/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rhalle said:
It's really hard to reconcile how apparently horrific the PC version is with all the unqualified praise the game has gotten from reviewers. Are they all on the take? Seriously.

Yes. Yes they are.

It's easy to tell when it is, it's when game sites are talking about the best game ever made, without having ANYTHING in their hands to prove it. Not a demo, not a review copy, not a beta or an alpha release, nothing. And they're still raving about it like rabbits in heat.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
By the way RPG Codex, thank you for spelling my name right. Unlike those traitors at RPGWatch. :love:

phanboy_iv said:
Did you try the mouse acceleration and vsync tweaks listed here? http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/11/t...e-graphics-disable-vsync-change-fov-and-more/
Those have no effect on the persistent mouse lag and separate X and Y sensitivities. They basically optimized the controls for a gamepad and then said "eh, leave it" for the keyboard and mouse. Even going back to Fallout: New Vegas the difference in control accuracy is staggering.

MCA
Strangely enough, I'm not having any of these mouse or interface navigation issues other than its inconsistent use of keyboard and mouse. Everything works as intended, as retarded as the intended really is. Have any of you turned XBox controller off?

sea said:
By the way RPG Codex, thank you for spelling my name right. Unlike those traitors at RPGWatch. :love:

Fuck RPGWatch. They are too busy being politically correct and passive aggressive on those who don't fit their mentality.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Based on 6hrs play Skyrim is actually very good. Obvious caveat that at this stage I don't know how the later game balances out, but so far I'd rank it up there with Gothic/Risen.

5/5

JrK

Prophet
Suchy said:

FUCK YEAH. :salute: The favourites and drop functionality was still broken with this mod, but I figured out to fix those myself.

Basically, you need to turn the stuff under "item menus" into this:
Code:
LeftEquip	0xff	!0,Left Attack/Block		!0,Left Attack/Block		0	0	0	0x8
RightEquip	0xff	!0,Right Attack/Block		!0,Right Attack/Block		0	0	0	0x8	
Item Zoom	0x2e	0xff		0x0080		0	0	0	0x8
Rotate		0xff	0xff	0x000c		0	0	0	0x8
XButton		!0,Ready Weapon	!0,Ready Weapon	0x4000		0	0	0	0x8
YButton		!0,Favorites	!0,Favorites	0x8000		0	0	0	0x8
Cursor		0xff	0xa		0xff		0	0	0	0x8

That will make the button for your favourites menu add an item to your favourites menu when in the item menu.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
phanboy_iv said:
Well damn. An open-world RPG outselling Modern Warfare on the PC. Actual legitimate copies.

MW is shit on PC, but it's not just outselling, this is as big an activity as we've seen for a PC game on Steam in a while.

2hCtS.png

Skyrim is a hit. What else is new.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
sea said:
Those have no effect on the persistent mouse lag and separate X and Y sensitivities. They basically optimized the controls for a gamepad and then said "eh, leave it" for the keyboard and mouse. Even going back to Fallout: New Vegas the difference in control accuracy is staggering.

Sea is, unfortunately, right about that as it turns out. Someone in the comments on that PC Gamer page suggested a different fix, though. So that's the next step.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
So the guy on the PC Gamer comments was correct. The fix works like a dream. Y-pan runs a lot better now at .0800 or .0900. I'll go ahead and put the info below if anyone wants it and doesn't feel like digging through all of the shouting on that thread.

Some clever little bastard named Midt said:
At the end of your Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Skyrim.ini file, add:

[Controls]
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0200
fMouseHe adingXScale=0.0200

You may have to tweak the numbers until you discover what works for you.

Edit : This fixed the problem for me, apparently the vertical mouse speed is weirdly dependent on your FPS, and my computer aint a beast so I gues that was playing well against me.

Amazing how having the option to independently change the X and Y pan makes a game dragging problem go away, eh Bethesda?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brother None said:
phanboy_iv said:
Well damn. An open-world RPG outselling Modern Warfare on the PC. Actual legitimate copies.

MW is shit on PC, but it's not just outselling, this is as big an activity as we've seen for a PC game on Steam in a while.

2hCtS.png

Skyrim is a hit. What else is new.

Controversial theory:
Could Skyrim be the harbinger of :incline: for the RPG genre? Say what you will about its quality, but you can't rush an open-world, highly detailed game like Skyrim. You have to take your time and make it big and fun.
And with these epic sales stats, we can expect a lot of companies are going to try to imitate the Skyrim format in the future. Some of them may well have better design and storytelling than Bethesda. Now they will get the financial okay from the publishers to create bigger, better games, instead of 15 hour Mass Effect popamole corridor crap.

Its been 4 years since Oblivion vs something like 5 days since the last CoD DLC release? That probably influences a lot. The interesting fact is that MW3 is immediately taking a downturn, you would expect it to steadily increase. Must really stink of shit.

Morbus

Scholar
Zarniwoop said:
I guess you haven't heard of the piratebay.

Still, I'm sure it's disappointing to see how many codexers have played this mess, paid or not.

I for one am playing it, and am enjoying it for what it is. A terrible port of a crappy looking average action RPG with strong exploration. I braved through Gothic 2, why the hell not?

At least the character system is not shit. It's so dumbed down it's actually good!

I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom