Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

a budda

Arbiter
1st 20-30 quests: fetch, fetch, fetch... and crafting tutorial... 1 was okayish though (c&c)
but at that rate i'm going to refuse 90% quests
gfx slightly worse than w2, less colourful though, with texture mods might look really nice

HP8R1.jpg

CQKgV.jpg

Overweight Manatee said:
And no, you didn't miss anything (unless you count the gondolas in Vivec city).

You could probably count Barilzar's Mazed Band for someone who enjoyed its usefulness and never gave it up/cloned it. Teleportation to Mournhold, Vivec City and the Clockwork City.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Fuck epicness. Picking flowers for Ajira is where its at.

A proper RPG should feature fighting a homeless guy for a breadcrust to keep from starving. Now the old Dragon Wars did that well. Shit couldn't get any less epic to start, but by the end you can go full retard. Or you can just say fuck it to the main quest and found your own kingdom.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Combat: Morrowind < Oblivion = Skyrim. Morrowind had shit combat and some trolls will defend it for some bizarre reason.

Graphics: Morrowind < Oblivion < Skyrim < Morrowind 2011 mod pack. Morrowind 2011 is better optimized too. The water effects always look better than the rest of the graphics in every vanilla game.

Level Scaling: Oblivion < Modded Oblivion < Skyrim = Morrowind.

Quest design: Too varied in each game to rate. Skyrim's worst are simple fedexers, the best aren't really better than anything in Morrowind/Oblivion.

Dungeon design: Skyrim >>>>>> Morrowind > Oblivion. Never go back to non-linear dungeons Bethesda. Please God no. Linear dungeons may be a worse concept but you don't completely fail at them.

World design: Morrowind >>>>> Skyrim > Oblivion. Skyrim feels emptier than the other two but looks prettier in an art design way than Oblivion's "herp derp here's a height map here's some soil erosion."

Overall: Morrowind > Skyrim >>>>>>> Oblivion. Just in terms of how much overall fun the games are. I don't LOVE any of them, but Morrowind and Skyrim provide some nice single-player MMOness, while Oblivion's just makes me think "holy fuck this game is stupid, why is every town and dungeon and Oblivion gate the same thing FUUUUUU"

Data4

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:

Thing about those kids is it seems they all have the exact same face, regardless of gender. And to add insult to the injury of not being able to kill them, Bethesda has them saying shit that makes you REALLY, REALLY want to knock them upside the head.

Stinger

Arcane
Data4 said:
Thing about those kids is it seems they all have the exact same face, regardless of gender. And to add insult to the injury of not being able to kill them, Bethesda has them saying shit that makes you REALLY, REALLY want to knock them upside the head.

To be fair it's not just the kids, Bethesda just knows how write background dialogue that's annoying as fuck.

"I saw a Mudcrab the other day" "Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter" "Steel be with you"

Bethesda is just great at shitty dialogue that gets even more annoying because of the infinite loop.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Jaime Lannister said:
Quest design: Too varied in each game to rate. Skyrim's worst are simple fedexers, the best aren't really better than anything in Morrowind/Oblivion.
skyrim has randomized target locations, which i guess is a plus since it's one step back towards daggerfall and due to some target chests being owned, makes it nice.. would be even nicer if the owners had dialogue to buy/get the target from them without having to steal it or kill them, though.

Stabwound

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
Combat: Morrowind < Oblivion = Skyrim. Morrowind had shit combat and some trolls will defend it for some bizarre reason.

Graphics: Morrowind < Oblivion < Skyrim < Morrowind 2011 mod pack. Morrowind 2011 is better optimized too. The water effects always look better than the rest of the graphics in every vanilla game.

Level Scaling: Oblivion < Modded Oblivion < Skyrim = Morrowind.

Dungeon design: Skyrim >>>>>> Morrowind > Oblivion. Never go back to non-linear dungeons Bethesda. Please God no. Linear dungeons may be a worse concept but you don't completely fail at them.

World design: Morrowind >>>>> Skyrim > Oblivion. Skyrim feels emptier than the other two but looks prettier in an art design way than Oblivion's "herp derp here's a height map here's some soil erosion."

Overall: Morrowind > Skyrim >>>>>>> Oblivion. Just in terms of how much overall fun the games are. I don't LOVE any of them, but Morrowind and Skyrim provide some nice single-player MMOness, while Oblivion's just makes me think "holy fuck this game is stupid, why is every town and dungeon and Oblivion gate the same thing FUUUUUU"

Nice post; I agree with most of it.

For whatever combination of reasons, I just didn't find Oblivion fun at all. Honestly, I barely played it and can remember very little of it other than it being extremely bland. I think I quit playing in one of the Oblivion gates and never touched it again. I'm amazed at how much praise the game gets almost everywhere that isn't the Codex, because I thought it was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. Don't forget all of the Todd E3 previews that showed off a bunch of different features and shit and virtually none of them were in the final game.

I've played 25 hours of Skyrim so far and I love it, but I doubt I will stick with it long enough to see all of the content. At least I find it way more compelling than Oblivion was (and that's because Oblivion was not compelling at all past a few hours of play.) Skyrim is good, but I think it will be a lot better 6 months from now when the mod kit is out and people have made some decent mods for it. I'd like to see the skill trees and spells expanded, at least.

A little thing I experienced earlier in Skyrim that I liked was a dragon attack that killed a bunch of NPCs. Sure, it probably fucked up some quests, but I thought it was pretty cool that I was fighting the dragon, and then it went ape shit and started slaughtering people. I think Todd said dragons could randomly destroy towns (which is not true at all as far as I can tell) but it's cool that they really are unscripted and can attack and kill NPCs.

Stinger

Arcane
Nael said:
Stinger said:
"Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter"

That one was all Obsidian.

Nope, according to JE Sawyer Bethesda wrote all that kind of background ambient dialogue.

So as usual we can say that all the flaws in FNV are Bethesda's fault.

Stinger said:
Nael said:
Stinger said:
"Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter"

That one was all Obsidian.

Nope, according to JE Sawyer Bethesda wrote all that kind of background ambient dialogue.

So as usual we can say that all the flaws in FNV are Bethesda's fault.

What makes it super annoying is how much it's repeated rather than what is repeated. If I'd hear it only few times during whole game I wouldn't mind so much.

Monocause

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Combat: I phrased that poorly. Skyrim combat definitely exceeds Morrowind's unmodded. Though not for lack of trying with HP-bloated enemies and as-ever poor AI.

I haven't noticed much of an HP bloat and I'm playing on master. Lvl 10 currently. After putting a few perks in destruction I can one-shot regular bandits with a dual firebolt. Mages - which have fire resistance, or so it seems - I stun with a shout and then rush to them with a sword, killing them with four-five hits. That doesn't change the fact that I get easily killed too when I'm careless - especially by the mages.

Exploration: In Morrowind every quest gives you detailed (or not) directions like an ordinary person would and lets you find your way there. Fast travel options are limited to the ferry system. Dozens of the important dungeons (with the top class unique items) would never be reached by a following a big quest marker, you had to read the books for hints or just flat out be lucky finding them (granted I haven't done enough of Skyrim to know whether this is true or not). All of this contributes towards making it feel like you are actually exploring Morrowind vs. following the quest marker into oblivion. And continent hopping was awesome. Morrowind really wasn't that tedious to get around if you knew how to get to your location.

Roll a warrior type in Morrowind and try not to steal everything you can so that you have infinite cash so that you can enchant a portable fast travel system. Have fun watching you run the small distance from Balmora to the fighter's guild-related eggmine for 10 minutes.
The minimum character speed in Morrowind was just too low. You should start with a respectable one you'd have even at maximum encumbrance and lowest possible speed and athletics - and then make athletics and speed provide you with a boost so that you gain an edge in melee combat, not so that you can travel on foot without spending hours watching the landscape slowly pass by.

Notice the bolded part too. Yeah, when you know how the game works and all the useful tidbits then you can bypass the tedium. That's the word with everything about MW core gameplay. Skyrim is playable out of the box to a complete novice.

Sure that the mods improved on this (as well as other stuff) but it's a bit unfair to compare fully modded MW to vanilla Skyrim.

Dialog: The wiki is just a way of interaction, it says nothing about the dialog itself. Morrowind had paragraphs, Skyrim/Oblivion have single sentences. Need I really say more?

Yes. I don't agree with that POV for several reasons, one of them being that when you talk to someone in real life you usually don't talk paragraphs. The other one is that the fact that pretty much all NPCs had the same response when asked about a given subject killed *all* the sense of personality they might've given. Caius Cosades averted this to some extent, some other NPCs like Divayth Fyr did too because you couldn't ask them about bullshit.

In Skyrim some characters also give you lectures resembling the MW ones. Take the Talos priest in Whiterun for instance. That's four or five sentences which you could make into a nice and tidy paragraph if you wish so.

Quests: They all tie in to the much better exploration factor. As for the rewards: yeah, its almost realistic? Why, were you expecting the Uber Pwning sword of Pwningness in exchange for gathering flowers?

Actually the flower quest in MG did provide you with some rewards. But no, each and every quest should yield some sort of reward that the player can appreciate, and if you need a tie-in of some sort for storytelling or coherence reasons than make it as easy and quick as possible. Clicking on 'advancement' isn't a reward that I could appreciate, especially since money was plentiful and getting access to new trainers didn't mean jack shit because the same skills or spells were available elsewhere.

In other words, the player needs motivation to do something. A couple of "fetch this oh thank you advancement!" killed any sort of motivation as it was much more rewarding for me just to bash some skulls on the road or steal shit.

Skyrim quests so far: fedex quests are short and usually tie into something (and pretty much always reward you). Can't compare the MQ to Morrowind's one as I'm still early in the game (omw to High Hrothgar) but it sure as hell beats the crap out of Oblivion in terms of, well, everything.

Alchemy/Spell stuff: Yeah, broken if you cheese it. I never played a full spell caster, those are equally boring in all TES games until you grind out a shit ton of levels. Oblivion/Skyrim's failings was the need to do fireball x100 to every unnamed bandit's face, that's hardly much better. As for finding ingrediants: Derp Detected. Mage's guild books on alchemy ingredient effects told you 3/4ths of what you needed to know, and you could buy them right from the vendors. Can't comment on enchanting as I have done none of it in Skrim, but Oblivion's was dogshit with its limitations so if Skrim is the same then its equally bad.

In Skyrim all ingredients have four effects and you can use them straight from the bat. Alchemy skill regulates how potent your potions are and using some perks makes finding out ingredient effects easier than experimenting.

The first effect you can get to know by eating the ingredient. You can take perks that allow you to find the second and third effect by eating too. You can also just try to mix ingredients blindly and the game helpfully makes bad combinations (that you found to be bad by testing them first) no longer available so you can just mix away different ingredients and see what happens.

There was a handful of books/letters/notes on alchemy which told you about effects in MW - most of hidden in dungeons, not in bookshops - and you had a shitload of ingredients. So no, reading books wasn't a way to learn what works. Anyway, it's not the recipes I'm bitching about, I'm bitching about having 40+ ingredients in your inventory and no simple way to manage them, and about the poorly made interface which made mixing a chore. In terms of the alchemical interface both Oblivion and Skyrim easily surpass Morrowind.

Also, playing a destruction-reliant mage in Skyrim is totally viable, for the first time in TES I guess. Destruction-based damaging magic is easily an alternative to bashing people's heads with swords and axes. You just need to purchase more powerful spells than the flames/sparks you start with (which you can do in Whiterun - the second town in the game if you don't stray off the path right from the start - and put some perks in Destruction that lower mana cost and increase damage. You're good to go then.

Raapys said:
Look beyond the visuals for a moment. Combat? As you say with Morrowind, tedious and unrewarding. Rinse and repeat. MW with mods actually had far better combat than this. Exploration? Interesting for the first hour or so, until you realize that there isn't really much interesting stuff to find, just more enemies and a quest here and there. About the level of MW then. Dialog? Hah, don't get me started. Reading Morrowind's wikipedia is far more interesting than this stuff. Quests? I've done a fair bit of them, only a handful didn't have me 'go to dungeon x, bring back item y, kill person z'. Then you've gone from MW's 'look around that area, the cave should be somewhere near there' to 'just follow the magic pointer on your hud!!' gameplay. No improvement there.

Hum. You know, most of the time you don't provide arguments I could counter whatsoever. Boils down to preference, I guess. I like Skyrim's combat despite putting ~12 hours in the game and find it not tedious and rewarding. Some of the places you find are just as interesting as Morrowind for the same reasons. Say, a bandit camp I've stumbled upon due to one of the Radiant Story (trademark) quests - it's a mining camp apparently taken over by bandits. Inside you find mammoth tusks and a dead mammoth. WTF, you think. Then you go forward and find that the bandits made a huge hole with sharpened spikes, with multiple animal carcasses down there and an unlucky dead high elf. This sort of level design is miles better than whatever I've seen in Oblivion and comparable to many places from MW.

I don't really care about the quest compass or the 'directions'. I cared about it in Oblivion since it was intensely stupid at times, leading you to a character whom you should find on your own only so that the NPC would go "ooh, how crafty of you to find me!". Noticed no such derpness in Skyrim so far.

Then you've the skills of course. Let's just whisker away attributes and the effects they had and could have and replace them with the fabulous mana, stamina and health!!!! Let's make every skill matter just as much when you level up!!! Let's remove as many skills as we can!!! Let's add derpy perks so WoW players will feel at home!!! There's just so much wrong with that part it's almost enough to ruin the game by itself. What could have been an excellent system had they taken the time to improve it, was instead replaced by herpderp.

I disagree. MW system was just clunky in my opinion. If I'm to pick a more complex but poorly designed character system or a simpler but one that is working well I'd always choose the latter. I don't miss attributes at all and the perks allow for substantial customisation.

Spells, spellmaking. Yeah, not really. It looks better in combat, in every other way it fails greatly. It's a decline from Oblivion, but it's not even comparable to MW. After the initial 'WOW COOL SKELETON BONES EVERYWHERE' impression from my mage, it grew exceedingly dull to play once I realized just how shallow they'd made it.

No. Most of the spells I bought so far in TESV are useful and I have around 17 of them at the moment. My character is shaping up to using magic as the first choice and melee weapons as a backup option and I love how it works. Compare to Morrowind where the spells you could buy were completely useless and you bought them only to learn spell effects - and simple damaging spells plainly sucked. In before Draq: sure, you could make really potent offensive spells but making insanely powerful fireballs was not an option. And I like insanely powerful fireballs.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get my drift. Beyond the visual illusion, there really isn't much going on in the game. It's just another next-gen dumbed down "rpg" that has captivated people with atmosphere and the illusion of an interesting world. Improvements are few, decline is there even from Oblivion and the rest has already been done by the Nehrim mod for OB.

What I see is an illusion that you provide fair points while all you do is to provide your unsubstantiated opinion on the game. I respect that but you seem to believe you're arguing and not just making a statement.[

Oh, as far imbalances in Morrowind and also Daggerfall, I actually think that's *much* preferable to carefully balanced and sterile games such as Skyrim and, to a larger degree, OB. Daggerfall probably has the most broken spell system ever made in terms of balance, at least when combined with the also broken enchantment system. Yet it's nonetheless far more entertaining than the similar systems in both MW, OB and Skyrim.

That's personal preference. I found it annoying that I constantly have to restrict myself in MW if I want to get any degree of challenge. Stealing stuff - overpowered character who could reach a very high level without doing a single quest or leaving a city/town by stealing, selling and training - did it once, got lvl 23 or so. Exploring alchemy, spellmaking, enchantment - extremely overpowered character. The only way to enjoy the game for me was to restrain myself all the time.
The things blatantly OP in Skyrim I found so far are followers (which BTW don't attack you when you hit them by accident like someone stated) and stealth. The rest works fine so far.

Gord

Arcane
Monocause said:
Skyrim quests so far: fedex quests are short and usually tie into something (and pretty much always reward you). Can't compare the MQ to Morrowind's one as I'm still early in the game (omw to High Hrothgar) but it sure as hell beats the crap out of Oblivion in terms of, well, everything.

Morrowind sure had a lot of stupid fedex quests that had you walk across 2/3 of the continent (after inexplicably finding the quest giver in the midst of nowhere) just to deliver some stupid clutter item that would yield you 100 gold as a reward. Luckily not all of them were like that.

Monocause said:
Also, playing a destruction-reliant mage in Skyrim is totally viable, for the first time in TES I guess. Destruction-based damaging magic is easily an alternative to bashing people's heads with swords and axes.
[...]
No. Most of the spells I bought so far are useful and I have around 17 of them at the moment. Compare to Morrowind where the spells you could by were completely useless and you bought them only to learn spell effects. And I still didn't find spellcasting dull.

I've read a few threads on the official forums complaining that it scales rather bad compared to bashing people's heads with swords and axes. Allegedly it's getting less useful after level 20. Can you already say something about that?

Also, what I liked about the spell altar was that you could chain different effects that would work together (e.g. vulnerability to magic and drain fatigue). How's about such non-destruction based effect? Are they still in the game? Does it make sense to chain different spells to improve their usefulness?

Medic

Scholar
Patron
Monocause said:
The things blatantly OP in Skyrim I found so far are followers (which BTW don't attack you when you hit them by accident like someone stated) and stealth. The rest works fine so far.

Add horses owned by player to this list.

Monocause

Arcane
Gord said:
Morrowind sure had a lot of stupid fedex quests that had you walk across 2/3 of the continent (after inexplicably finding the quest giver in the midst of nowhere) just to deliver some stupid clutter item that would yield you 100 gold as a reward. Luckily not all of them were like that.

Yeah, not all, but most of the starting guild quests were like that. It made sense from a story perspective - well, you're the freshman so you get to run all the boring errands - but failed in terms of gameplay.

I've read a few threads on the official forums complaining that it scales rather bad compared to bashing people's heads with swords and axes. Allegedly it's getting less useful after level 20. Can you already say something about that?

Can't comment on that yet, ain't that far. Be careful when reading the official boards though. Some people didn't grasp the notion that you need to buy the more powerful spells and expected the damage dealt with spells to increase along with your skill - while all your skill does is decrease the mana cost (which is very important as you run out of mana quickly).

Like I said at lvl 10 I one-shot regular bandits with a dual (ie. overcharged) firebolt. It may be so that later on it scales poorly, but notice this: flames are a novice spell. Firebolt is an apprentice (1 tier higher) spell. That means that one can expect there to be also adept, expert and master offensive spells with much higher damage output.

also at lvl 10 my destruction skill is at 30 despite using it all the time. At lvl 20 you'd probably be around 50 unless you trained really extensively. That means only a part of destruction perks are available.

Also, what I liked about the spell altar was that you could chain different effects that would work together (e.g. vulnerability to magic and drain fatigue). How's about such non-destruction based effect? Are they still in the game? Does it make sense to chain different spells to improve their usefulness?

Can't comment on that yet too. I guess I'll know everything about the magic system's ins and outs once I reach Winterhold. I know vulnerability and damage stamina effects are in via alchemy but IDK about spells - except that cold-based offensive spells drain stamina too but I don't use them much as there's understandably a lot of cold resistance in skyrim.

attackfighter

Magister
Monocause said:
Roll a warrior type in Morrowind and try not to steal everything you can so that you have infinite cash so that you can enchant a portable fast travel system. Have fun watching you run the small distance from Balmora to the fighter's guild-related eggmine for 10 minutes.
The minimum character speed in Morrowind was just too low. You should start with a respectable one you'd have even at maximum encumbrance and lowest possible speed and athletics - and then make athletics and speed provide you with a boost so that you gain an edge in melee combat, not so that you can travel on foot without spending hours watching the landscape slowly pass by.

Notice the bolded part too. Yeah, when you know how the game works and all the useful tidbits then you can bypass the tedium. That's the word with everything about MW core gameplay. Skyrim is playable out of the box to a complete novice.

Sure that the mods improved on this (as well as other stuff) but it's a bit unfair to compare fully modded MW to vanilla Skyrim.

When I first played Morrowind the world was so new and interesting that walking speed was never an issue for me. In later playthroughs I knew about the boots of blinding speed, so it wasn't an issue then either.

Yes. I don't agree with that POV for several reasons, one of them being that when you talk to someone in real life you usually don't talk paragraphs. The other one is that the fact that pretty much all NPCs had the same response when asked about a given subject killed *all* the sense of personality they might've given. Caius Cosades averted this to some extent, some other NPCs like Divayth Fyr did too because you couldn't ask them about bullshit.

In Skyrim some characters also give you lectures resembling the MW ones. Take the Talos priest in Whiterun for instance. That's four or five sentences which you could make into a nice and tidy paragraph if you wish so.

Morrowind's dialogue method makes the setting more detailed and is also more convenient since the writing is all on the screen at once on a scrollable menu, rather than fed to you piecemeal with no way to scroll up if you miss something like in Skyrim. Both systems have major downsides and MOrrowind is the lesser of two evils.

Actually the flower quest in MG did provide you with some rewards. But no, each and every quest should yield some sort of reward that the player can appreciate, and if you need a tie-in of some sort for storytelling or coherence reasons than make it as easy and quick as possible. Clicking on 'advancement' isn't a reward that I could appreciate, especially since money was plentiful and getting access to new trainers didn't mean jack shit because the same skills or spells were available elsewhere.

In other words, the player needs motivation to do something. A couple of "fetch this oh thank you advancement!" killed any sort of motivation as it was much more rewarding for me just to bash some skulls on the road or steal shit.

I don't see why every quest needs to reward you directly. For many earlier Morrwind quests the purpose of doing them is simply to get to the more substancial later quests, where you're given instructions to obtain a powerful artifact or exposed to some interesting political intrigue.

I find it dumb how in Skyrim you can join a guild and immediately get all these epic quests that can change the fate of the guild and yield immense wealth, despite the fact that you're an untested recruit who's barely proven his loyalty (if at all). It's basically just ego stroking and it cheapens the setting.

I disagree. MW system was just clunky in my opinion. If I'm to pick a more complex but poorly designed character system or a simpler but one that is working well I'd always choose the latter. I don't miss attributes at all and the perks allow for substantial customisation.

Substancial customization... no. There's a clear distinction between the good perks and the shit perks; the good perks are the one's that give you a % bonus to something (whether to damage, speechcraft, mana cost, etc.) and the shit ones are almost everything else. There isn't a lot of leeway when it comes to character building.

Data4

Arcane
Been sticking to the main quest pretty exclusively, and can say with all honesty that the game is compelling enough to keep playing. Screw the KKK, it's all about value for money spent, and I'm getting it. Yeah, yeah, Oblivion sucked, Bethesduh sucks, etc. etc.

They did good by me with Skyrim. It's not the be-all, end-all RPG by a long shot, but it's a good game

Anyway, regarding the Greybeards...

I was NOT expecting their leader to be a dragon. I attacked him the instant he showed up because... you know... dragons=bad. He roasted me pretty quickly. Beth should have had him speak before getting into range, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who reflexively attacked without considering that it was in fact Paarthurnax.

Here, he explains what the Elder Scrolls are. I'm not sure, but I think the voice actor is the same guy I've ragged on before, who was waaay too ubiquitous in Oblivion. Wes something-or-other. The voice isn't that bad here, probably because it's the first time I've heard it in 15+ hours of play.

I just hope the game stays true to TES form and lets me hit all the faction and side quests after completing the main. I've got a pretty decent sized cache of them ready to start, but I've been too interested in how the main storyline plays out to take side trips.

Monocause

Arcane
attackfighter said:
I find it dumb how in Skyrim you can join a guild and immediately get all these epic quests that can change the fate of the guild and yield immense wealth, despite the fact that you're an untested recruit who's barely proven his loyalty (if at all). It's basically just ego stroking and it cheapens the setting.

I might be early in the game but I joined the companions and haven't gotten any sort of an epic quest.

Substancial customization... no. There's a clear distinction between the good perks and the shit perks; the good perks are the one's that give you a % bonus to something (whether to damage, speechcraft, mana cost, etc.) and the shit ones are almost everything else. There isn't a lot of leeway when it comes to character building.

No, there isn't a distinction like that and I haven't seen many perks that I'd call crap. Pickpotecking tree fails, but pickpocket shouldn't be a separate skill in the first place; can't think of anything else at all that wouldn't fit into one playstyle or another. Please provide some examples.

If you focus on a school of magic you'll want to have ALL the perks that come with it as they all significantly improve your performance. You'll also want all weapon perks except for those relating to weapons you don't use.

kris

Arcane
Most lulzy quest so far was delivering supplies to the greybeards. Basically someone delivers free supplies to them and dont' get paid. You can do that for him and when you get back... He pays you 750 GOLD for doing what he do for free :D Is he like a secret millionare or something? ;)

attackfighter

Magister
Monocause said:
I might be early in the game but I joined the companions and haven't gotten any sort of an epic quest.

I haven't joined the companions yet so I can't speak for them, but I can tell you that both the mage guild and thief guild send you on epic quests right off the bat (well actually the thief guild has a minor 1 minute 'initiation' type thing first, but after that it's all MAJESTIC all the time. As far as I know those are the only 3 non-plot related factions in the game.

No, there isn't a distinction like that and I haven't seen many perks that I'd call crap. Pickpotecking tree fails, but pickpocket shouldn't be a separate skill in the first place; can't think of anything else at all that wouldn't fit into one playstyle or another. Please provide some examples.

Pick pocketing, lock picking and speech are all almost entirely underpowered. The other skill trees also have a smattering of shitty skills in them. To give some examples from Destruction: disintegrate, deep freeze and intense flames are all underpowered. To give some more examples from Heavy armour: Fists of steel and cushioned are underpowered. I'd estimate that 25% or more of the skills are as woefully bad as the ones I listed above.

If you focus on a school of magic you'll want to have ALL the perks that come with it as they all significantly improve your performance. You'll also want all weapon perks except for those relating to weapons you don't use.

That's not really customization though, since you don't have to make any tradeoffs in regards to point investment. There's some customization at the start but after long you simply run out many meaningful perks to invest in since they're either restricted due to your skill or simply not worth taking. Currently I am only level 12 or something and I have 2 perk points saved up, with nothing worthwhile close to being unlocked. Once something does become unlocked I will immediately invest one of my stored points in it... it's not customization it's simply going through obvious motions.

kris said:
Most lulzy quest so far was delivering supplies to the greybeards. Basically someone delivers free supplies to them and dont' get paid. You can do that for him and when you get back... He pays you 750 GOLD for doing what he do for free :D Is he like a secret millionare or something? ;)

Haha that is hilarious.

Gerrard

Arcane
So I guess it's probably my fault for not figuring out that in a game where you fight dragons, which can fly, melee combat would be fucking shitty.

From my experience so far 90% of the time you can't do shit with melee weapons to a dragon, because they either land on roofs or don't land at all.

Also hilarious situations where you are swinging your weapon at some completely unfazed enemy that is burning your face off.

I'm also getting fucking destroyed by pretty much any enemy that is not a grunt, despite having some 200 armor and said enemy attacking me with a dagger. Fantastic level scaling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom