Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Argentina making games?

movwills

Novice
This is very vast and profitable industry, so how they can be so far from it...

--------------
Free Movies to watch online with ultimate video sources.

laclongquan

Arcane
Excidium said:
Black Cat said:
And it is quite a shame there aren't more serious developers both in argentina and in latin america.
Yeah...well, developing video games in nations with a culture of piracy wasn't a very good idea, specially since back then they were p. much confined to the national markets.

Potatoland and Ruskibear are two major nations with major tittles: The Witcher series? Space Rangers series? To name two most famous ones. And they boast a heavy cabal of crackers/hackers/privateers of their own.

Even China, the most heavily pirate-infested nation, boast multiple tittles with their own studios. Prince of Qin, anyone remember? A DIablo-BG hybrid with a very interesting Chinese system of magic and craft. And its own series of MMORPG, MMORTS, MMOwhatever, have to be seen to believe. I should know, most Vietnamese MMO games are translations of their games.

I think game development industry is something related to national characteristic of likes and dislikes. India got a longer time of IT development than China and other nations yet they dont make much. Canada? Italia? Mexico? South America? Hell, France? Germany got a few. Japan boast a huge industry. Not Australia.

I think game is a culturally national industry, some country like it better than others.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Excidium said:
The First Max Payne was also released fully translated, the VO was quite nice. There were other, smaller titles too.
Warhammer: Dark Omen was fully translated and with an AMAZING BR voice acting. Seriously, it's the best VO I ever saw in any game, but it's one of the few & rare examples.

.Sigurd

Educated
Excidium said:
Black Cat said:
And it is quite a shame there aren't more serious developers both in argentina and in latin america.
Yeah...well, developing video games in nations with a culture of piracy wasn't a very good idea, specially since back then they were p. much confined to the national markets. Nowadays with digital distribution, things should be much better but unfortunately bejeweled clones for iPhone is the only sort of game development people seem to be interested.

felipepepe said:
Game development in South America is really weak. But what can we do, we are ignored by game industries, the Playstation 2 was officialy released here only in 2009.

Only Blizzard is doing a nice job, with Starcraft 2 availble 100% in BR Portuguese on launch day and WoW now 100% in BR Port too.
The First Max Payne was also released fully translated, the VO was quite nice. There were other, smaller titles too.

felipepepe said:
To date we only made 3 comercial PC games, Outlive in 2000, a well done Starcraft clone:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/sc ... een001.jpg
This one was p. good. Shame those were shitty times.

felipepepe said:
A shity DOOM clone "Incidente em Varginha" in 98, with horribad graphics:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4bp3qnp08Gg/S ... /FFr10.jpg
I remember that one. I got it in a demo disc along with another weird BR shooter that I can't remember the name, I just called it Quake gaúcho. :lol:

Oh and don't forget that MMO Erinys with its bestiary based in our folklore. And that Capoeira game. :lol:
Forgetting about something?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PgH4PLcBNM

betamin

Learned
LOL Black Cat is from Argentina? I feel like I should buy you a drink but I can't play Personas, too much grinding.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Spellcaster said:
z0Pf3.jpg
:what:

is

is this shit for real?

p impressive they have CG cutscenes and actual soundtrack on that doom clone, what is the critical consensus the media had on it? surely they must have commented on its originality,coherence,design and last but not least outstanding voice acting :thumbsup:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jesus. :lol:

Oh and by the way, this is the "Quake Gaúcho" I mentioned:

tela4.jpg

It's called Hades 2, I recommend it. :M

Marobug

I didn't even know that people from Argentina could read
I'm not argentinian or anything but that bit was kind of unnecessary. This is the codex, no moderation and all but no need to go overboard. For all we know we could go down to shit in a few years and argentina go past us in no time so mocking them for not being super rich could end up with us emigrating to argentina so let's not be an asshole to argentinians. And yes, I'm from europe

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Excidium said:
Yes, it is for real. But that thing was made in sweden, all they did was put SBT ads everywhere. GUGU Games, bitch!
"Why aren't you guys publishing the sequel?
- Because it is similar to the original"

"Why can't I make bug?
-Surely you did something wrong. Try again, step by step."

:bravo:

I think Brazilian publishers is a pretty cool guy. eh publishes shit and doesn't afraid of being honest

betamin

Learned
Marobug said:
I didn't even know that people from Argentina could read
I'm not argentinian or anything but that bit was kind of unnecessary. This is the codex, no moderation and all but no need to go overboard. For all we know we could go down to shit in a few years and argentina go past us in no time so mocking them for not being super rich could end up with us emigrating to argentina so let's not be an asshole to argentinians. And yes, I'm from europe

Lol, most of us kinda have a thick skin so don't worry.

Marobug

I know, I'm portuguese, we are basically responsible for the shitty situation they are in. But they still love us so it's all cool

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Spellcaster said:
That's actually the very core of our problem: here we have the console culture, no one had PCs during the 80's, no one knows how to program or how to create mods, except of course for a very small minority. Our game designers are people who grew up on Final Fantasy and their dream is to create the ultimate jRPG with Square Enix for the latest Sony console, or something like that. Of course there are exceptions (hell, I am an exception), but that's the face of the regular designer around here. They're very japanophiles and most of them want to move to Japan to create their games.
Spot on bro.

I have a friend that tried studing Games Design at Anhembi Morumbi, here in São Paulo, but he was deeply disapointed and abandoned. The university and the students only wanted to do flash & phone games, and no one had a vague ideia about PC gaming or games from before 95. Is ABSURD a games design class with ~30 people and only one of them ever played Fallout 1 or 2! Even stuff like Civilization II was unknown to most...how can you expect a good game from these guys?

If I were to make a game in Brazil, I would find the guys that mod Winning Eleven every year, or the dudes that made CS_RIO. You know, people who really know & like what they do, not awkward kids that only play PS3 all day, so decided to go study games when they parents forced them to choose a career.

damicore

Augur
I didn't even know that people from Argentina could read.

I didn't even know that people from the U.S. knew what Argentina was man :smug:
It's all cool but, don't you people know your own continent? A bit about its history and the present political situation?
I mean come on, grab a newspaper once in a while.

And yes, most southamericans started gaming through consoles (pretty much my case although my first games were actually outdated PC games like Carmen Sandiego, the Prince of Persia or Tetris).
People not knowing about fallout 1 or 2 in a game design course still sounds weird to me.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I didn't even know that people from the U.S. knew what Argentina was man :smug:
It's all cool but, don't you people know your own continent? A bit about its history and the present political situation?
I mean come on, grab a newspaper once in a while.

And yes, most southamericans started gaming through consoles (pretty much my case although my first games were actually outdated PC games like Carmen Sandiego, the Prince of Persia or Tetris).
People not knowing about fallout 1 or 2 in a game design course still sounds weird to me.

North America is NOT South America.

I know my continent, dude. Canadians are pussies and Mexicans are drug dealers that steal jobs from hard working Americans by cumming here illegally.

@ Lord Rockety

Depending on the convention and model, some continents may be consolidated or subdivided: for example Eurasia is often subdivided into Europe and Asia, while North and South america are sometimes recognized as one American continent.
You can't say wrong if your link says both are right.​
But, alright, it's model based. I had just forgotten that, my bad.​

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Meh, America's continent divisions are bullshit anyway. When I was in school it was standard to divide it in North, Central and South America; Central America being all those tiny countries and islands between Mexico and Columbia. There was even a conspiracy theory about Mexico paying geographers to place it on North America, so they would feel developed or something.

And we also believed that KISS really killed babies on stage. Good days. :lol:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Apart from that, a lot of models you see in movies from studios like Pixar to games like NFS from EA are outsourced to studios here.

PS: Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods was ass, but so was Gothic 3. Buggy piece of shit product is all thanks to Jowood not testing. Then again, I am not surprised some retard here screwed up a Gothic project this bad. Probably was trying to Oblivionise the shit out of the gameplay.

Don't kid yourself, Pixar had never outsource to India and even now Disney is outsourcing animation ONLY for direct-to-DVD sequels.

G3 did not have cow asses on top of houses or other shit. And G3: FG is basically a by the book example of how outsourcing should not be done. And the incompetence of the indian company was quite obvious.

In 8+ of experience as SW developer, I did not meet ONE indian who *knew* coding or did not lie about his skills. And I don't want to mention all the crap about the great India.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom