Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Eyeball

Arcane
Ulminati said:
Game successfully inclined. I'm not sure why, but Bethesda is seemingly incapable of writing child characters you don't want to savagely murder. Having the ability to disembowel the snotty little shits with a ten foot claymore makes the game far more enjoyable, especially since the killcam apparently works on kids too.

"Tag, you're it!" *battleaxe to face*

Black

Arcane
Crispy said:
I think it goes without saying that if you didn't disable the magic compass immediately upon install then you'd better not ever show your face around here again. The line to do so is in skyrimprefs.ini.
Do the npcs give any directions on where do they want you to go to kill their ancient evils?

Stabwound

Arcane
Misterhamper said:
Already out with the inventory fix

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667

Maybe :incline:, maybe :decline: - haven't tried it, doesn't work well with 360 controller apparantly.
Nice - much better than the original. I tried it in-game, and it works well as far as I can tell. Not perfect, but much more functional. I'm sure something better will come along, but that will do for now. Need something like that for magic/abilities and the perk section, too. I thought the star signs were a cool idea, but they suck in functionality.

As for disabling the magical compass/medieval GPS, I did that, too. The problem is that the game is designed with the assumption that you'll be using the psychic compass, so they didn't put in any in-game help for finding the places. At best, you'll have to make your own notes and finish the quests if/when you happen across the cave/dungeon/whatever randomly, which is okay for random quests, but sucks for main quests as you won't be able to advance the story or guild quest line, etc.

Even still, I think it's way more fun without the magic GPS at the top of the screen. I don't feel bad checking out the quest markers once in a while if the frustration gets too much. Having every point of interest, including "hidden areas" magically displayed on the GPS ruins the fun for me, anyway. Removing that makes the game a fun hiking/exploration simulator at the very least.

Black Cat

Magister
Stabwound said:
The problem is that the game is designed with the assumption that you'll be using the psychic compass, so they didn't put in any in-game help for finding the places.

There's a spell called Clairvoyance that can be used to find hard to find places, though only quest-related ones, if you don't mind re-casting it every five steps. Otherwise, it can give you a general idea of in which direction to go and help you pin-point the place if you are kind of lost but close.

Black

Arcane
The Wizard said:
no, they at best mention the name of the ruin/cave/bordello.
So, what Crispy suggests is that you turn off the magic compass, don't get directions because npcs don't give them and search for your objective blindly?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's a simple matter of finding that quest and making it active, then looking on your map for the quest marker. Your position indicator on the map points in the direction you're standing, so there you go.

Medic

Scholar
Patron
I recommend this mod:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=708

708-1-1321751071.jpg

Black Cat

Magister
Black said:
The Wizard said:
no, they at best mention the name of the ruin/cave/bordello.
So, what Crispy suggests is that you turn off the magic compass, don't get directions because npcs don't give them and search for your objective blindly?

All quest objectives are marked on your map when you receive them, so you know where to go. You just need to find your way there by yourself, which is where the clairvoyance spell comes handy. Most of the time it is quite easy to find your way just by exploring a little bit, though some quest locations are pretty hard given the terrain around them is quite confusing.

Though it's best to just wander around in the general direction of the place you want to get. You will find some pretty cool places when lost in the woods, at midnight, away from all civilization, and wildly running from an angry dragon.

Black

Arcane
Crispy said:
It's a simple matter of finding that quest and making it active, then looking on your map for the quest marker. Your position indicator on the map points in the direction you're standing, so there you go.
I don't get how getting locations pin-pointed on your map is really that different from having magic compass on.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Black said:
Crispy said:
I don't get how getting locations pin-pointed on your map is really that different from having magic compass on.
Because the lack of convenience makes you rely on it a little less. It's not "really that different" but it's slightly different.

Stabwound

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Stabwound said:
The problem is that the game is designed with the assumption that you'll be using the psychic compass, so they didn't put in any in-game help for finding the places.

There's a spell called Clairvoyance that can be used to find hard to find places, though only quest-related ones, if you don't mind re-casting it every five steps. Otherwise, it can give you a general idea of in which direction to go and help you pin-point the place if you are kind of lost but close.
Nice, I never looked into that spell, because I thought it would be Fable 3 level derpness where an arrow points you exactly where to go. If it functions more like a "hint system" then I would definitely use that.

If it works well enough to find places without actually running in a bee-line to the GPS location then that's a nice :incline: to me.

The map markers aren't really necessary, because I think every quest will mark the location on your main map, so you can just look around on it to find it. The map markers are decent for trying to track down a certain person - usually to return for your reward. First of all, it's sometimes hard to find them wherever in the down they've wandered, if you can even remember which town they were located in the first place.

Hi everyone, I've tried my hand at Skyrim and I like it so far. TBH it isn't the game mechanics that are truly revolutionary or anything, but after Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3 and FNV, in Skyrim the Master difficulty level (highest, called other things in the other games) really felt challenging. Any of you crying about the smithing/enchanting cheesiness, don't powerlevel those and play the game like a game, let your character grow naturally.

On Master difficulty level, I find myself exploiting terrain which some of you might hate. But let me clarify. Basically at level 25 with full flawless orcish armor and fighterish/tankish perks, mammoths and giants 1-2 shot me. You might say that's just crappy and artificial but I felt truly panicked when 2-3 giants + pet mammoths chase me over the tundra, and I have to hide in a small deserted hut which they are too big to enter. Then I have to either snipe them (really slow because they have tons of hp at that difficulty, and I didn't develop archery), or hit them and retreat into the hut quickly to avoid getting pummeled into the ground. It's all very exploitish if you look at it in a certain way, but if you give that difficulty a try, it becomes less of an exploit and more like a realistic way of dealing with giant things with speed and brains rather than standing your ground and magically withstanding giant leg stomps.

In dungeons, I always have to back to narrow corridors to take groups of enemies one by one, and you will realise they actually flee a little distance if they are low on hp, so it becomes a conga line of hurt and you must somehow queue up a combo to end a guy when he is low hp or he'll just go to the back of the queue and use range attacked on you if available. You also learn to use terrain (again) but this time in a more acceptable manner. Bear traps, the spiked gateway thing (scared the shit out of me), etc are more useful than ever at this difficulty. A bear trap basically means a free stagger on the enemy = free time for a power attack (trust me these are rare to execute on Master, without taking some life-threatening blows when you release the block button), and the spiked gateway thing (1 use only, can't be reset) can instagib 1-3 enemies depending on how well you time their approach.

And boss fights become truly epic. The Skinner woman in the Gallows place during the Companions werewolf quest was BRUTAL. Her 3 hit dual wielding power attack combo 1 shots non-blocking stance, and she can use it over and over again probably due to high stamina, even if you are blocking. So basically in Master you can't toe-to-toe her and chug potions (i'll come to consumables later) and save/load to win. What I did was to lure her into a spiked gateway trap, which took a good chunk of her hp, shifted to werewolf (that's the dungeon where you first learnt to shift at will) which seemed thematic for the occasion, and used speed and the ww form powerattacks to confuse her power attack combo directions and knock her down (sprint, power attack pounce for 100% knockdown). In this way you avoid the life ending combo, but it has to be perfect execution. Fun.

Getting too long, so I'll summarise other things. Consumables become utterly precious. Gold goes to potions etc. so you remain kinda poor and the economy balances itself. Dragon fights become an exhilarating cat and mouse game where you dodge behind rocks/terrain to block breaths (full blast = 1 shot), arrow the bitch, heal, etc. They feel like real dragons now. If their spawn timing catch me at a bad time (when I'm leaving a dungeon - all dungeons at Master are crazy - with depleted resources) I actually have to flee from them (even if you cheese their health low enough that they land, you still must have some way to deal with the melee). Blocking, regular attack, power attack, strafe timings become VERY important. If you get the blocking perk that slows down time when enemies execute a power attack, it gets easier to dodge them, for e.g.

There are many more things to say about Master difficulty, but I believe it's one of most fundamental 'mods' you can apply to your game to get most out of Skyrim. It slows the pace of exploration down, dungeons feel like dungeons, and enemies are ALL fearsome. Also, you must utilise all sorts of tactics and semi-exploits to win in hairy situations (trust me, terrain exploit only goes so far - it lets you live, but you won't be killing anything at a realistic, non asperger speed). To be exact, it seems difficulty merely increases enemy hp and damage (like previous installments in this engine) but the actual repercussions on gameplay is truly immense (again, unlike previous installments where things just get tedious). Many times you will feel 'WTF this is stupid I might as well lower the difficulty and ENJOY the game' but then if you go through enough in the game, surviving a bandit ambush, escaping the attention of a dragon, etc. becomes all the more dramatic and memorable, and you will think twice about lowering the bar ever again.

And for those that hates chore and tedium and meaningless (probably how many will feel without actually trying Master for an extended amount of time, and seeing the effects it has on your character management, resources usage, fight reaction, etc.) gaming, here is a more down-to-earth mod. It's a shadow fix I use that is quite satisfactory.

In the Skyrimprefs.ini file, change to the following:

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=20
fInteriorShadowDistance=2200.0000
fShadowDistance=1800.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowFilter=4
fShadowLODStartFade=1800.0000
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bDrawShadows=1
iShadowMapResolution=2048
fShadowBiasScale=0.4400
iShadowMaskQuarter=3

These settings avoid the crazy CPU hogging 4096 resolution fixes on shadows (which also reduce shadow distance significantly to work), and instead go the other direction. It lets shadows remain at low resolution, but blurs them alot to get them to look smoother and non-intrusive with the jagged edges and all. As with all shadow fixes so far, it works in most situations, but there are times where things still look abit ugly, but it's rare. So in regards to performance and eye-candiness, it's a good compromise. Here's a screenshot of these settings and the shadows ingame:

HpkAP.jpg

hhCao.jpg

fVHXc.jpg

Shows outdoor shadows of character, flora and buildings.

4CnUD.jpg

Shows indoor shadows of character and of course showcase my Master difficulty lizardboy.

Hope the information helps! :D

P.S: Just had another scenario which should demonstrate how Master difficulty changes things. The Radiant story thing assigned me a Save NPC from Location quest. The location is the Valtheim Towers (two towers that sit by a wide span of river with a very narrow bridge high up that connects them. What happened was that when I reached the location, said NPC was escaping from bandits that were chasing her down the far tower, where she would get trapped sooner or later and die (knowledge due to save/load). In a normal difficulty, what you would do is charge up the tower, across the bridge, and slay the bandits as you move, right? Not in Master. The snipers (archers) who are well positioned on the top of the near tower, the far cliffs, and on the narrow walkway, in addition to several melee brutes that charge to meet you on the bridge out of the far tower will 100% prevent you from saving NPC before she dies if you choose to fight them (it will be slow and VERY dangerous, since you are exposed to archer fire on the bridge from all directions). What instead worked was me rushing past all the fuckers in the near tower, and then unto the bridge. NPCs in combat rarely budge unless you sprint knock them, and on the narrow bridge it's 1v1 all the way vs 3-4 enemies with archers sniping you. I can't fight and win them in the open and vulnerable, nor have the time for it. So what happened was that I had to shield bash them OFF the bridge (which was really satisfying, watching them fall side to side into the rushing waters below), and feeding the sniper on the far tower with a nice knockback dragon shout that made him fall unfortunately not into the river but slightly on the jagged, rocky cliffs killing him instantly. The whole saving the NPC and killing the rest of the bandits part is another long adventure, but I hope you get what I mean; Master difficulty by itself just increases HP and damage bloat, but somehow in the mechanics of Skyrim as a whole (combat moves, economy, etc.) it is strangely effective for emergent gameplay.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good gosh. Even Black Cat has embraced the decline. :/

On a more serious note, until there's a mod that edits in non-boring dungeon and world design, I won't be playing Skyrim any more. I've played it for a few more hours to give it another chance, but meh, the game ain't got no soul and don't sing no blues.

made

Arcane
Crispy said:
The map markers can be disabled, too. But I'm not that much of a masochist.
So first you act all hardcore about disabling the compass only to later admit that the game is unplayable without map markers, even though they are the same damn thing from a different angle.

Black Cat

Magister
Crooked Bee said:

I don't know. Playing it in Master as a pure Mage with no armor (the only pretty clothes I have found so far are normal civilian ones), almost no equipment (all the magical amulets and stuff I found came in colors which really clash with my character's look and clothes) and all points in Magicka is intense and fun, and pretty hard given almost everything can kill me without the least trouble and many enemies can instakill me by just touching me, as their attacks automatically turn into finishing moves. So you have to get creative with the spells and the AI abusing.

A while ago I just did this pretty nice dungeon in which you can't leave the way you came in. The battles were pretty brutal and intense, and halfway through it my mercenary got killed so I had to get through it alone. Enemies came in packs of three or more and my character was able to survive no more than a single strike from them. Archers and some melee ones, though, one shot me, yet I can't leave without going through all of them.

Clearing that was basicaly the most satisfying gaming moment in the last two or three years, for me. So I don't really see that much decline here. :oops:

Satan

Educated
Black Cat said:

:thumbsup:

I'll wait one or two more weeks before purchase and then download all the pony mods available at the time. Actually I might like this game :oops: I really hope at that time someone will make a mod that changes all the NPCs in Skyrim and the PC into colorful horses. Mediocre game would become the best game ever! :love:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Black Cat said:

Hard != good. To me, Skyrim -- with its monotonous world, linear dungeons, and shitty quests -- is a textbook example of that. Then again, I didn't play a mage. Then again, the game's so boring that I probably won't anyway.

Black Cat

Magister

attackfighter

Magister
Black Cat said:
Crooked Bee said:

I don't know. Playing it in Master as a pure Mage with no armor (the only pretty clothes I have found so far are normal civilian ones), almost no equipment (all the magical amulets and stuff I found came in colors which really clash with my character's look and clothes) and all points in Magicka is intense and fun, and pretty hard given almost everything can kill me without the least trouble and many enemies can instakill me by just touching me, as their attacks automatically turn into finishing moves. So you have to get creative with the spells and the AI abusing.

A while ago I just did this pretty nice dungeon in which you can't leave the way you came in. The battles were pretty brutal and intense, and halfway through it my mercenary got killed so I had to get through it alone. Enemies came in packs of three or more and my character was able to survive no more than a single strike from them. Archers and some melee ones, though, one shot me, yet I can't leave without going through all of them.

Clearing that was basicaly the most satisfying gaming moment in the last two or three years, for me. So I don't really see that much decline here. :oops:

The gameplay *can* be hard if you handicap yourself to the point where enemies kill you in one blow... but that would be true for most games. You could achieve the same difficulty in Oblivion with the help of a little modding.

No, what makes combat good isn't the difficulty, but the level of thinking or skill required to overcome it. Skyrim requires little of either. Backpedal while attacking the guy chasing you, strafe from left to right to confuse ranged enemy AI, summon fire elementals against fire mages, frost against frost mages, etc., chainstun an enemy with destruction magic... those account for most of the tactics you'll use in SKyrim. They're obvious and simple to perform, so there is little merit in them. Skyrim combat may be hard in the sense that you die a lot if you handicap yourself a ton, but it's not hard in the sense that it requires deep thought or fast reflexes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom