Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN claims Obsidian is working on KOTOR 3

bryce777

Erudite
So why do people ask these stupid questions?

Obviously he can't say something liek "Hey we are trying to work out a deal with kotor 3 and plan to do it."

Are you people nuts?

Then, if it goes south they have to say something about it, people are pissed off at them and the publisher, the publisher will be pissed off if they say the publisher didn't give it to them. Etc., etc., etc.

Feargus Urquhart

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
I like to think of myself more as uncountable than unaccountable.

But more seriously, as I know you all know, until a project is announced I can't say whether we are working on it or not without getting a lot of heat.

What I can say is that we are working on NWN2 and the other announced title, plus we are signing another project in the next couple of weeks. We are also finally getting out own technology off the ground, so that we have more freedom when it comes to the types of games we can create. To be honest, I'm not sure how hardcore of a RPG (other than NWN2) we can make soon. I'm sure that sounds like I'm a big pussy when it comes to what games we work on, but I want to stay in business as well. My goal for the short term make-up of Obsidian is to have three teams with two focusing on consoles as the lead SKUs and the other a PC focused SKU.

I wish it wasn't so disappointing to look at the sales of PC stuff right now. Actually it's super disappointing. I'm hoping that Vista and the stuff that Microsoft puts behind "My Games" is going to help.

Spazmo

Erudite
It's always seemed to me like most of the stuff MS is doing with Vista and whatever the hell that successor to DirectX is called isn't so much aimed at giving PC gaming a jumpstart as to integrating it neatly with the Xbox 360.

Anyways, Feargus, while I can appreciate that there are mouths to feed etc., the numbers for PC RPGs were pretty dismal when Fallout was released, too.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Feargus Urquhart said:
I wish it wasn't so disappointing to look at the sales of PC stuff right now. Actually it's super disappointing.
Is it a "classified" members-only info? If not, can you share the details? How bad is it?

Levski 1912

Scholar
Well, at least Feargus is being honest here. Unlike some other developers *looks in Bethesda's direction*. While I may be bummed that more good CRPGs aren't going to be released, even a couple is better than none, and let's face it- there are very few big companies left that still try to make real RPGs.

Drakron

Arcane
What you expected when Xbox version was released months before and anyone with a PC that wanted the PC version got a early warning?

Also at this point its proven the adverage Xboxer is a moron.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Of course x-boxers are morons, that's what you get when you spend most of your life running around in a ring, getting punched in the face.

Feargus Urquhart said:
To be honest, I'm not sure how hardcore of a RPG (other than NWN2) we can make soon.
You still plan on staying with RPGs though, yeah? Or is there a hidden genre that sells way better than all the others? Plenty of people here enjoy softcore RPGs, so long as they're good.

Do a warfare RPG actually, something without magic and faeries. Or rather, just make an RPG that has no purple or pink light sources at all, that would be truly genre-defying/reinventing in this day and age.

Avin

Liturgist
Feargus Urquhart said:
To be honest, I'm not sure how hardcore of a RPG (other than NWN2) we can make soon.

well, at least you save me the time of expecting something good (crpg related) ;) the sad thing is that looks like hardcore crpgs are dead and buried...

FrancoTAU

Cipher
NWN2 sounds like it'll be a pretty hardcore RPG but too bad i'll be with RTwP combat. It looks like everything else will be for the multiplatforms or Xbox exclusive though, so it's RPGlite for Obsidian after NWN2.

roshan

Arcane
2 teams for console and 1 for pc? It seems to me that Obsidians new deal will be another console rpg, like the one they are currently developing. And their pc rpgs are not going to be hardcore?

I suppose I am just wasting my time checking up on the Obsidian forums then.

Lemon

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Feargus Urquhart said:
I wish it wasn't so disappointing to look at the sales of PC stuff right now. Actually it's super disappointing.
Is it a "classified" members-only info? If not, can you share the details? How bad is it?

I believe it peaked in 98' or 99'. At that point the market was worth 3 Billion, its shrunk every year since falling below a Billion in 2005.This is NPD data so it doesn't included MMORPG subscriptions.

HardCode

Erudite
The PC game market is probably shrinking due to suckier and suckier PC games. Game companies tried to target both PC games and console games with their resources, and something had to suffer. They feel they have to make the same games for both platforms, but PC games suffered because of that. And vise-versa. Fable was only the second game in my life that I bought and shelved in a couple of days. It was ass of a PC game.

DemonKing

Arcane
It's pretty disappointing to hear that a lot of people are getting out of PC games. They really are (at this stage) the only format where genuinelly technically sophisticated games can be made, plus the mouse and keyboard rules the roost for those of us with co-ordination issues.

Let's just hope that NWN2 and DA sell big, so that others begin to realise that there is potential in the market over and above MMPORPGs. Hopefully with he advent of digital distribution, companies will begin to see the sense in releasing a large base game with optional expansions every 6 months or so (especially once the base engine is in place).

Mantiis

Cipher
I think the days of fallout and daggerfall are over.

Welcome to the age of Oblivion.

Levski 1912

Scholar

Are you saying it's a good thing, bad thing, or are you just making an observation?

Mantiis

Cipher
Levski 1912 said:

Are you saying it's a good thing, bad thing, or are you just making an observation?

It was a pun intended as an observation. Personally I think I will like Oblivion; I would also love another fallout-esque game (more so than I would want Oblivion) but it just isnt economically feasable to target such a niche market. Have we learnt nothing from Troika? Feargus from Obsidion pretty much spelled it out in another thread:

To be honest, I'm not sure how hardcore of a RPG (other than NWN2) we can make soon. I'm sure that sounds like I'm a big pussy when it comes to what games we work on, but I want to stay in business as well.

Maybe tools need to be created to make it easier to make rpgs. Kinda like how the quake (unreal?) engine was used for Deus Ex. For example - a dialogue tree plugin, the logic is already written for it you just need to add the dialogue and paths.

Edit: Apologies for the grammer and incoherent post - I am at a training session..

awildawn

Novice
That only means that RPG's being released with a toolset are the only way to have a constant flow of adventures to play.

I must say, though, that it is strange to hear that RPG's aren't a big market when Oblivion, Goyhic 3 and NWN2 are being released the same year !

It sounds that these games will be pit against each other . That doesn't seem very wise except if the target audience can afford it, that is (three games : 150 $).

bryce777

Erudite
Feargus Urquhart said:
I like to think of myself more as uncountable than unaccountable.

But more seriously, as I know you all know, until a project is announced I can't say whether we are working on it or not without getting a lot of heat.

What I can say is that we are working on NWN2 and the other announced title, plus we are signing another project in the next couple of weeks. We are also finally getting out own technology off the ground, so that we have more freedom when it comes to the types of games we can create. To be honest, I'm not sure how hardcore of a RPG (other than NWN2) we can make soon. I'm sure that sounds like I'm a big pussy when it comes to what games we work on, but I want to stay in business as well. My goal for the short term make-up of Obsidian is to have three teams with two focusing on consoles as the lead SKUs and the other a PC focused SKU.

I wish it wasn't so disappointing to look at the sales of PC stuff right now. Actually it's super disappointing. I'm hoping that Vista and the stuff that Microsoft puts behind "My Games" is going to help.

At least you seem to have the desire to make one that is hardcore, which is more than can be said for anyone else these days I can think of...who might be able to do so.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't think it's 100% sure that any of those three games will be released this year. Oblivion would seem closest to its release day, but stil...

Whipporowill

Erudite
Elwro said:
I don't think it's 100% sure that any of those three games will be released this year. Oblivion would seem closest to its release day, but stil...

I think the only game of those mentioned that we can be sure is released this year is Oblivion. I don't see it being delayed again, no matter the upheaval over shadows et al.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I don't think it's 100% sure that any of those three games will be released this year."

Sure is close enough. NWN2 will be released this year notwithstanding unforseen doom.

And, considering that shitty Oblivion just missed a 2005 release date it's as close to 100% assured as any game cna be.

Asking for 100% assuredness on soemthing like this is just plain old fashion retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom