Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim - Bethesda, you should be very, very proud.

DraQ

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
What? Lol.
Last time I checked, doing several vertical loops followed by a few horizontal squiggles was completely pointless when tunneling from A to B.

It's nice that you can lost in DF dungeons (and, contrary to what some say they do have stuff like sleeping or even livestock holding areas), but pointless spaghetti of corridors doing needless loops wasn't really a highlight of DF dungeoneering, neither was the lack of diversity.

As for linear dungeons with shortcuts at the end they are a pet peeve of mine. Not necessarily if they are used sparingly, but when it becomes a rule it's fucking retarded.
:x

Mortmal

Arcane
Crispy said:
Twinfalls, keep playing it. You're not that far in; you're succumbing to the same thing that happened to me when I first started playing Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Fallout 3 and NV. Soon you're going to hit the wall.

And believe me, once you hit it, you'll hit it hard.

I absolutely agree with most everything you said. Out of the wrapper, Skyrim seems great. New shiny toy, ooh, they did this a little different, they did that a little different, hmm, they eliminated this but that's okay, it's so much fun to play...

It's still the same old shit from Bethesda.

Believe me, it pains me to say that. I can admit that because like you I have very fond memories of Daggerfall. The feeling of freedom, the sandboxey goodness -- in the end it all goes away. Skyrim soon started revealing its putrid fillings after getting through its sweet frosting, and the eventual result is the same as with Oblivion: there's no motivation to play anymore other than to just powergrind your way to the end.

The inns are all the same. The quests eventually reveal their blandness. The creatures are one after the other, all ragdolly stupidity. The voices eventually start to sound the same (because they are), the items, the locations, all the "special effects" they worked so hard on. None of them make a truly engaging game and yes, it's going to be up to someone like Obsidian to attempt to turn this new toy that Bethesda fucked up on into something worth playing with, again.

Some may consider this post a bit of a flip-flop for me, but I just consider it a (re)awakening. Shit's happened before the same way. I'll keep trudging away in the game, just for sake of curiosity and stubbornness, but the veil's been lifted and I can see anew the flaws inherent in everything that Bethesda touches.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now.
Yeah but after how many hours , 40, 50 ? No surprise you get sick of it after playing that and only that so many hours in a row.
Now we can only hope obsidian make skyrim expansion pack or something, i am not expecting good dungeons and a new campaign from modders except maybe the nehrim guys.

The Wizard

Educated
DraQ said:
Crooked Bee said:
What? Lol.
As for linear dungeons with shortcuts at the end they are a pet peeve of mine. Not necessarily if they are used sparingly, but when it becomes a rule it's fucking retarded.
so you'd rather walk through the empty dungeon again? remember, "no recall or intervention can work in this place".

so i rather like the convenient exits.

and if we're already on the topic of shit design

laddersdontexistdovak97u1q.jpg

that bethesda can't into ladders was already known, but i think these people don't even know those things exist.

not that you really needed a ladder to get up there. i mean you could just climb. those are barely two meters for christs sake!

DraQ

Arcane
The Wizard said:
DraQ said:
Crooked Bee said:
What? Lol.
so you'd rather walk through the empty dungeon again? remember, "no recall or intervention can work in this place".
No, I'd rather have dungeons that are designed as actual places, not as linear roller-coasters with separate entrances and exits that only miss a ticket booth and some fuck selling baloons at the entrance.
:rpgcodex:

The Wizard

Educated
well, most of them have the excuse of being caves or ancient burrows. forts are no longer a->b like they were in oblivion, and some of them now even are occupied by legion(or become occupied by legion when you clear them out, which was a nice touch i thought).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Twinfalls said:
Roguey said:
... they didn't fix any of the flaws I wanted to make me consider even playing this, so I don't believe they should be proud at all (except in their ability to fool most of the people most of the time). It looks like Oblivion with a new coat of paint and the slightest amount of increased effort.

mmfacepalmmm
I don't need to look inside a garbage can to know there's garbage inside. Things Bethesda needs to do to pique my interest: Steal from Arkane and From Software, remove essential NPCs almost entirely. Have they done that yet? Nope, not interested in their crap then.

Xi

Arcane
torpid said:
So despite sharing so many elements with the much-hated (and rightly so) Oblivion, it's an "excellent TES game and a return to form." Proving my point that many of the complaints about Oblivion were misplaced, since a very similar game is now being lauded :lol: Better atmosphere and a few in-game books are apparently enough to forgive Oblivion's many, many flaws.

I'm not going to make a bullet list, but I think that Skyrim and Oblivion are quite different. Sure, they share similarities, all the TES games do, but ultimately it's quite a step away from the design choices made in OB.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Just on the ideological comfort-blanket of refusing to say anything good about Todd Howard - there are a number of ways TES could have gone after Daggerfall. Ultima fans - should Todd have aped Richard Garriott's sterling success with that gameworld? Might and Magic fans - enjoying what's become of that series? You Wizardry guys - having a blast with the latest incarnation?

The fact is that Howard has kept TES alive, made it massively profitable (he's an employee of a company, in case anyone's forgotten), and has now steered it clear of the utter craven dumbfuckery that happened to Gothic for example.

Oblivion was an epic abomination. Skyrim is a great game. It's a better game than Morrowind, and its art and tech are miles ahead of Daggerfall. It's kept the interesting lore and backstory of both. Picking out one gripe here or there (dungeons are linear!) just doesn't cut it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The fact is that Howard has kept TES alive, made it massively profitable

Pointless argument no sane person give a shit about -> Bethard detected.

You Wizardry guys - having a blast with the latest incarnation?

You mean Wizardry 8? :retarded:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Tycn said:
He's keeping Fallout alive, too. Or at least lukewarm.

He's keeping shit. He's just yet another talentless hack along with all the other braindead monkeys at Bethesda who shouldn't ever be allowed to design a game.
If there's anyone who keeps anything alive it's the suits at Zenimax.

flabbyjack

Arcane
We have seem lamentations and praise for Skyrim. Best RPG of the year hands-down(Witcher 2 a distant second)

Windows XP 32-bit is STILL UNPLAYABLE AND BROKEN. What confuses me is how easily fixable it is. You can fix it by running TESV.exe in high priority mode. They really couldn't figure this one out and make it run high priority by default? Major derp from their test and quality assurance departments. Allegedly there are similar issues on the XBOX360
NPC banter talk is retarded, for example an NPC will say to my character who is archmage of the mage's college: "Did you hear about the mage's guild? Maybe you should join!"
Dungeons can still be awful, but not as god-awful as Oblivion
Voice-acting needs work, especially during cutscenes. This is especially evident in the INTRO scene where multiple NPCs are talking on a wagon. The conversation comes out as choppy and unbelievable, because all the VOs were taped separately.
Combat animations execute even with models mis-aligned(Stradling a dragon's neck while you are actually 10 feet away)

Teepo

Scholar
Why does your portrait look so transsexual?

I'm sorry, but I don't trust transsexuals.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FeelTheRads said:
Tycn said:
He's keeping Fallout alive, too. Or at least lukewarm.

He's keeping shit. He's just yet another talentless hack along with all the other braindead monkeys at Bethesda who shouldn't ever be allowed to design a game.
If there's anyone who keeps anything alive it's the suits at Zenimax.

Are you crying FeelTheRads?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Are you retarded, SCO? I was under the impression that you weren't, but maybe I was wrong.

Oh, right, must be that new thing about not being cool anymore to rage. Now it's cool to cocksuck BLOBERT and such.

MDH

Novice
This game is a disappointment. Magic leveling is entirely and completely linear.

I can't cast an expert level spell at a low level, but with just a high chance of failure. I have to wait until I'm the appropriate level to even be allowed to SEE the spells in my inventory. There's not that openness and unpredictability that made Morrowind so amusing. It's all "set up for you". Your actions are decided for you already. This is not what I like to see occuring in RPG games.

I'm not going to bitch about the graphics and art direction, they're gorgeous, but mage gameplay is crap and the mage has historically been my favorite class in the Elder Scrolls.

and no custom spells.

Shodan

Novice
Can't say there's anything about Skyrim I'd consider particularly good.

Turjan

Arcane
Crispy said:
Eh, for the record my guy's only like level 16 or something. I'd bet I only have about 20 hours invested so far.
You will see, Bethesda will fix this next time. They will just let the game end after 15 hours!

Topher

Cipher
I'm still enjoying it, only about 10 hours in so far, but I enjoyed KotOR and New Vegas too. That said I'm still spending my days playing Witchhaven instead of Skyrim.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have never played Oblivion or Skyrim, and never will.

Nothing has convinced me.

I'll just stick to playing cRPG's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom