Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim - Bethesda, you should be very, very proud.

Gregz

Arcane
Nael said:
What part of WSAD do you not understand?

Personally, I don't understand why so few people use the vastly superior FVSD.

Gregz

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
How the fuck would you use that?

F-forward
V-back
S-left
D-right

It's superior because the pinky finger is the weakest, slowest, and least dextrous finger on the hand. FVSD uses your index, middle, and ring fingers. FV (forward and back) SD (strafe or turn). Also, having S in between the A and D on WASD keys increases the probability of hitting a strafe key when you are backing up. (bad for twitch games).

DraQ

Arcane
Nael said:
DraQ said:
Nael said:
DraQ said:
Neeshka said:
first person
Neeshka said:
Witcher 2
FAIL.

What? Because Witcher 2 is OTS? LOL. You control The Witcher with WSAD. It's a first person ghost-on-the-hero's-shoulder game.
Any iso game is then a first person god's eye game.

Problem?
:smug:

What part of WSAD do you not understand?
I don't use WSAD, it's for the rightfags.
:smug:

Also, you could control your character directly in Revenant (2D iso aRPG with 3D characters), therefore it was a first person game.
:troll:

attackfighter

Magister
Gregz said:
Dicksmoker said:

F-forward
V-back
S-left
D-right

It's superior because the pinky finger is the weakest, slowest, and least dextrous finger on the hand. FVSD uses your index, middle, and ring fingers. FV (forward and back) SD (strafe or turn). Also, having S in between the A and D on WASD keys increases the probability of hitting a strafe key when you are backing up. (bad for twitch games).

people use their pinky finger to hit WASD?

Data4

Arcane
attackfighter said:
Gregz said:
Dicksmoker said:

F-forward
V-back
S-left
D-right

Only in his little world where it's unlikely, nay, FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE to deviate from the home row, citizen.

MCA
Alexandros said:
So now it's not enough for all you skyrim lovers to fill GRPG with skyrim threads. No, you have to drag VD into the discussion, distracting him from his work on AOD and denying us decent folk the chance to play an actual RPG before the end of time. Gah!

:x

What does AoD have anything to do with this? It's not like AoD will be an RPG. It will be an interactive novel :troll:

MCA
DraQ said:
Also, there's no dual wielding. You can "dual-equip" but attack with only either at any given time.
Would you rather have "I have 2 swords, I swing 2x as much" retard option?

2 weapons in DF give you more flexibility and that's it. IRL you also don't swing twice as much when you have a weapon in your offhand.

Sure, it'd be nice if you could parry with one and strike with the other and if weapons had max and min ranges so you could, for example lock your sword with enemy's, step closer and stab the shit out of him with a dagger, but combat in Daggerfall was very rudimentary - at least in Morrowind you could block, stagger people and so on.

I don't know what the hell you are going on about with swinging twice as much and whatnot. You made a mistake. I corrected it.

Anyway, MW's combat was a poor evolution of DF's
And DF's combat was poor to begin with, once you got over the initial novelty of "I SWING MAH MOUSE!!!1".

And yet, MW never had any novelty to combat to begin with. R00fles!

Plus, fuck you to the oblivion and back, mouse swinging feels involved, is easy and comfortable enough and could easily be extended to execute different stances and attack moves instead of this retarded twitchy click-attack-while-moving-around-like-a-chicken bullshit almost every game has been infected with.

DraQ

Arcane
villain of the story said:
I don't know what the hell you are going on about with swinging twice as much and whatnot. You made a mistake. I corrected it.
Ok, I'll bite - how is wielding a weapon in each hand not dual wielding?

Plus, fuck you to the oblivion and back, mouse swinging feels involved, is easy and comfortable enough and could easily be extended to execute different stances and attack moves instead of this retarded twitchy click-attack-while-moving-around-like-a-chicken bullshit almost every game has been infected with.
Perhaps you'd be interested in buying a Wii?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Ever since my voleyball accident I have to use EASD instead of WASD. It also means I cannot use the official left-hand fingering you find in piano scores. Sport, goddamnit...

Teepo

Scholar
I got Skyrim today.

I am about to install it.

I need a guide. A guide to the most overpowered character in the history of Elder Scrolls. I want dual wielding, forging, enchanting. Anything else that's OP. I also want to do a little magic. Not destruction because it's weak. Perhaps conjuration?

Twinfalls

Erudite
Ok what the heck is with this game.

When I started the thread, I was level 12. (not 21, no actual god-damn stats screen is the only interface issue I could care about).

Still though. I start on expert. The game looks terrific, unlike Oblivion. There are tons of caves, forts, dungeons. And unlike Oblivion, they're well placed so your view isn't cluttered up with them. I find there's a good backstory, with three warring factions. TES lore is intact and continued. I choose to side with one - the Imperials, and I'm told 'join Stormcloaks failed'. The combat's tough, I have a truly memorable battle with bandits on a stone bridge, and other encounters that forced me to flee, such as a troll in a cave and another cave with a giant spider. I'll maybe come back there another time.

What's not to like? Hence my initial post. Outstanding when placed alongside what bacame of Ultima et al.

However: now I'm level 16. I haven't used crafting or smithing or enchanting. I'm a shield+mace warrior. Yet suddenly I'm ploughing through quests with ridiculous ease. The siege of Whiterun is beautifully staged, much more atmospheric than DA's sieges. Yet I'm killing Stormcloaks with two maybe three hits. I'm taking barely any damage. (I have switched difficulty up from Expert to Master).

Still, Frost Trolls give me and my summons serious grief.

I'll see what happens from here. If the MQ is scaled to a ridiculously low level, this will suck big time.

@Draq - level scaling, levelled lists. I agree not exactly the same thing, but pretty much the same outcome. Critters change according to your level. Anyway, I actually think Morrowind's a wonderful game because its world is like nothing ever seen before or since in a computer game. It's gameplay was OK. Heavily flawed and no Daggefall. But combine the two and you have a very, very good game.

Skyrim's combat has been more enjoyable for me. Until I hit this easy wall that is...

I suspect it's a game that has to be played in a LARPY kind of way. You don't pick up a million vegetables and use them for health. Stick to potions and restoration. Ignore crafting (I say that's role-playing. I'm a warrior. Why would I be able to instantly craft jewellery?). Disable auto-saves and save sparingly. Ironman a bit more.

Hmmmm. Bethesda. Bethesda never changes.... or does it....

Gregz

Arcane
attackfighter said:

Data4 said:
Only in his little world where it's unlikely, nay, FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE to deviate from the home row, citizen.

Yeah...because Shift-Caps Lock, Ctrl-Caps Lock, and Alt-Caps Lock are way more user-friendly than the keys around the home row.

:retarded:

Twinfalls

Erudite
Thanks ed123. It's reassuring to hear that's it not all one big easy downslide from that point.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Ah, spoilers upon me. Regardless, I bought this game on a whim and it's really quite good. Some flaws here and there, but on Expert-difficulty the game provides a good challenge. I stole one of the dragon shouts or whatever out from underneath a wild dragon, and then it promptly chased me down an entire mountain and through a forest full of monsters before I ducked into an inn. Then I spent some good time chopping away at high-level dungeons and areas I wasn't supposed to be. Good fun being lost at a low level. The fact I was getting one or two-shotted just roaming through a forest reminded me of Risen and that's a big thumbs up from me.

I'm playing an Orc battlemage or whatever. I'm not sure what to upgrade, really. I love two-handers but also enjoy using magic, so I'm all over the map. The start of the game was just awful, though, and I was worried I had dumped my money again. It really picks up after you get out of that first town with your first dragon shout spell.

made

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
I suspect it's a game that has to be played in a LARPY kind of way. You don't pick up a million vegetables and use them for health. Stick to potions and restoration. Ignore crafting (I say that's role-playing. I'm a warrior. Why would I be able to instantly craft jewellery?). Disable auto-saves and save sparingly. Ironman a bit more.
Have to agree with this. The game is magnificent, but only if you ignore the many parts that suck and invent your own ways to enjoy it. Obviously Beth haters lack the mental capacity for fun and I pity them.

For example, I'm roleplaying a warrior who believes that alchemy is the devil's work so he won't touch potions and when I get seriously wounded while exploring a dungeon I use the console to reduce health regen and carry capacity and walking speed to simulate heavy injuries and have to manually travel to a town for healing. I only save in temples, too, just like it was in the good old RPGs. I'm only level 3 though because I always die on my way back to town, but it's heaps of fun. Every wolf I encounter is an epic struggle of life and death because I know if I die I'll have to replay the last couple hours so I'm always on my toes. And the best part is, I'll be having endless fun in the months to come while those who exploited and powergamed their way through it will have long since grown bored.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
made said:
I'm roleplaying a warrior who believes that alchemy is the devil's work so he won't touch potions and when I get seriously wounded while exploring a dungeon I use the console to reduce health regen and carry capacity and walking speed to simulate heavy injuries and have to manually travel to a town for healing. I only save in temples, too, just like it was in the good old RPGs. I'm only level 3 though because I always die on my way back to town, but it's heaps of fun.

:lol: Good one.

Data4

Arcane
Gregz said:
attackfighter said:

Data4 said:

Yeah...because Shift-Caps Lock, Ctrl-Caps Lock, and Alt-Caps Lock are way more user-friendly than the keys around the home row.

:retarded:

And those have anything to do with movement control, how?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
made said:
Have to agree with this. The game is magnificent, but only if you ignore the many parts that suck and invent your own ways to enjoy it.
Sig material :lol:

MCA
DraQ said:
villain of the story said:
Ok, I'll bite - how is wielding a weapon in each hand not dual wielding?

Calling there is "dual wielding" in Daggerfall is like saying there is quadruple wielding in Diablo 2 because you can "equip" the character with two different sets of items and quickly toggle between the two. It's nothing more than a convenient way to quickly switch between two weapons in Daggerfall. Perhaps they had planned for something more but equipping two weapons bring no bonuses or make no changes. You attack with only one at any given time.

Why stop there, I mean WTF is with mouse? Do consoles come with a mouse? No. And look, they have been dominating the games industry. Fuck the mouse, it's time we dropped such an antique device that came out due to the technical limitations back in the day.

Gerrard

Arcane
DraQ said:
It's funny because I'm 100% sure that Skyward Sword has better combat than any game Bethesda ever made.

MCA
Yeah I've seen videos and I would actually love to play that game. The only Zelda game that has ever looked appealing to me.

Come to think of it, Die By The Sword would actually be good with a wiimote instead of being just a failed experimental shit game.

Zlaja

Arcane
hoopy said:
I wish Skyrim had cool stuff like kicks, disarms, and dodging, and so on. But no, you just mostly tap the mouse button until the other guy falls down. Yawn.

You can both disarm and get disarmed. You need a right perk/shout, though. Nothing more hectic in the game than facing an enemy that disarms you with a shout and then you end up running like a headless chicken looking for your weapon in the dark while being raped from behind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom