Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review IGN's Skyrim Second Opinions

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Feel like reading some second opinions on Skyrim? <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1213281p1.html" target="_blank">Here you go</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Like all Bethesda titles, Skyrim is a game with two faces. Sometimes it's a game with unparalleled depth and immersiveness. Tugging on one tiny, seemingly insignificant string can uncover a gigantic tangle of quests and adventures. But other times it's a game where your entire head disappears, mammoths fall from the sky, or NPCs don't react when you put a bucket on their head.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I'm absolutely enamored with Skyrim at the moment, but it struck me during one of my methodical dungeon dives last night that many gamers, myself included, are inclined to give Bethesda games a pass for their high level of "jankiness." In a dungeon I hit a bandit in the face with an arrow, and he decided the correct response would be to stand up and go stare at a wall.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In a strange way, Skyrim's bugs and the holes in its simulation can actually be endearing. You know you're playing a Bethesda game when you can harvest butterfly wings, and distill them into no less than 15 different potions, but you can also put a bucket on a shopkeeper's head and then rob him blind. When you can marry over 60 unique NPCs, but you can also get into a bar fight with someone and then have a completely normal conversation with them just seconds later.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In the back of my mind I know these bugs and this silliness should bother me more, but what can I say? Adventure awaits! I've got dragons to slay.&nbsp;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In Bethesda games, bugs are actually endearing.&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105860-igns-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-second-opinions.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Black

Arcane
In a strange way, Skyrim's bugs and the holes in its simulation can actually be endearing.

How sweet :) But only if it's bethesda's bugs in a bethesda game.

Peter

Arcane
Black said:
In a strange way, Skyrim's bugs and the holes in its simulation can actually be endearing.

Yeah man, Bethesda's bugs are so hilarious!

Obsidian, however, should die in a fire for their buggy games (all of which run fine on my PC, but if so many people say they have game-breaking glitches in their games, it must be true!).

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
So, second opinions are not about "we cooled down from our retardo enthusiasm, we'll now expand our criticism objectively". It's an extension of what was already written in the mainstream reviews (ITZ BUGGY BUT ITZ SO OMFGLOLFUKINAWSUM).

So it's another retroactive layer of defense.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

meh

Educated
Peter said:
Black said:

Yeah man, Bethesda's bugs are so hilarious!

Obsidian, however, should die in a fire for their buggy games (all of which run fine on my PC, but if so many people say they have game-breaking glitches in their games, it must be true!).

Too true. :?

saenz

Scholar
And when Obsidian uses their buggy ass engine, they get reamed for it right off the bat. Double standard anyone?

Eyeball

Arcane
I actually agree - the crappy engine being really unfit for a lot of what they tried to do with Skyrim makes for some sometimes downright hilarious situations, such as you fly 300 foot skywards when being clobbered by a giant or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf2ol-PUS1k or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

I appreciate these stupid glitches. They're really the best thing to come out of the clunky Oblivion engine.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I watched my nephew play this game on PS3 from the start. He almost got his head chopped off, the dragon attacked, then he ran through a cave system and when he got outside, he went down a steep incline and got stuck in a rock. :lol:

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Synopsis:

"So hey guise, you know how reviewers give Bethesda games a free pass when they're buggy? Well guess what I'm gonna do!"

Really now, what ridiculous shit. I haven't had any problems with bugs in Skyrim, and I actually tend to like Bethesda titles more than I don't...but these reviewers flat out ass-fucked New Vegas for being buggy when it had all of the same problems that the oh-so-dreamy Fallout 3 had. You can have a double standard, and you can have a journalistic or payoff-based bias, and yes that completely blows but it's also a part of the industry. YOU DO NOT CALL ATTENTION TO IT, THOUGH. AND YOU DO NOT TRY TO EXCUSE IT WITH A PITIABLE ATTEMPT AT SELF DEPRECATION. Unless you're going to do something about it, you sit down and you shut up and you keep up the laughable facade of integrity.

RoboHobo

Novice
20 Eyes said:
IGN's Skyrim Things We Can Say Now That The Check Went Through

ftfy

All they've done is point out some shortcomings in Skyrim's AI and physics, while continuing to profess their love for the game. It's not criticism, although it is something you'd hope to see in a fair review. If this is meant to be a critical article, then all it does is reveal how afraid IGN is to identify flaws in the games it reviews.

If you're hoping for something that is actually critical of Skyrim and Bethesda, you're better off waiting for IGN's range of fawning TES VI preview articles in 2015, listing flaws that they hope the next game will fix.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You gotta love some of the comments :lol:
in my view i saw that oblivion was much funner than skyrim, now wait i didn't say its better but funner for one reason. oblivion concentration was focused to the hardcore RPG gamers. However, skyrim was focused more to appeal this generations audience, example: durability, in oblivion when a weapon is used often it brakes so it should be repaired. In skyrim however there is no durability which sucks cause you don't feel that realistic mood that sucks you in the game which oblivion had. there is so much things i can mention but what i would just like to say is in every game the little things can really make a game extraordinary.

people are so captivated by the strict story lines in previous games that when they experience the freedom of skyrim, were they actually have to think for themselves to get trough the game, they get insecure and scared. so they crawl back to their cages and lock their experience to a minimum, rather than embracing their freedom in an exceptional game. this game is a living organism, not a predetermined fossil.

Dire Roach

Prophet
When you can marry over 60 unique NPCs, but you can also get into a bar fight with someone and then have a completely normal conversation with them just seconds later. 

People get into brawls and then become best friends all the time IRL. The AI is realistic.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only game that deserves the phrase "endearing bugs" is thief.

Bunny hopping, SHAS, rope rocket death, crate climbing, jump 100 meters, drop something before landing and be perfectly ok.

Genius!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom