Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Breathing radioactive lasers as Yahtzee reviews Skyrim

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Yahtzee - about the only worthwhile thing over at the Escapist these days - <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5020-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim">has reviewed Skyrim</a>. The usual fun ensues with talk of it being more gratifying than the usual brick in a dishwasher,&nbsp;weapons being caught up your ass as Trolls eat your face off and plot nonsense.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Also health potions and the positioning of rocks between you and your enemies.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks <strong>Fens</strong>!</p>

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I never understand what is the big deal with this guy. Is this shit supposed to be funny?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I laughed once or twice. I like Yahtzee. Give him twenty minutes worth of time and he could be the Jon Stewart of video games - not terribly insightful due to the comedic spin but still more so than 90% of "serious" journalists.

He doesn't like RPGs very much and loves shooters, so he won't win any awards at the Codex, but at least he's honest about his preferences.

Eyeball

Arcane
I wish to assert just how goddamn fucking elitist and Codexy I am by assuring everybody that I have never even once found Yahtzee funny, ha ha, the very idea is preposterous, dear chap!

The only thing more tiresome than Yahtzee fans who fawn over his every word are the people who constantly need to point out just how exceptionally unamused they are with him.

That having now been established, I liked the review. His experience largely seems to have mirrored mine, exploration, bugs, uselesness of anything but healing potions, weird balancing and the game being overall pretty enjoyable. Personally, I think the economy of the game's pretty good for an RPG - you always have a use for gold since training past skill level 50 or so is ridiculously expensive, leaving me constantly broke. All good RPGs should have a money sink like this, IMO, to encourage the player to explore more dungeons for more loot to buy themselves another level-up.

Erzherzog

Magister
Grunker said:
He doesn't like RPGs very much and loves shooters, so he won't win any awards at the Codex, but at least he's honest about his preferences.

Aye but he's always had good taste in shooters. Hits on every single of Modern Warfare 3's flaws but I guess that's easy mode.

Erzherzog

Magister
We've gone over it before though, the RPG scene ain't tanking as hard as the rest of gaming so him praising a RPG isn't blasphemy.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Not enough derp for you guys, huh?

check this shit out then
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... unctuation

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... u-People.2

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... You-People

(in this case there's probably the excuse he shouldn't do this every week or at all but has to)

paging
20090123105455-apothecary.jpg

As for Yahtzee, he barely tries to be funny nowadays, he never was a good reviewer or even very honest(not that this is supposed to matter amirite) and is also too "political"

Besides him not trying to be funny anymore(most likely he realized he doesn't need to keep any standards) I don't think there was any :decline: ever since he started his videos either

Grunker said:
I laughed once or twice. I like Yahtzee. Give him twenty minutes worth of time and he could be the Jon Stewart of video games - not terribly insightful due to the comedic spin but still more so than 90% of "serious" journalists.

He comes from a completely different gaming pedigree than most of the Codex - he's never had any interest in crpgs, and has been very clear about that. He is from the other side of the gaming market that got screwed by the merging of console and PC gaming into one big clusterfuck. Think of it like looking into a parallel universe, except where the Codex would ordinarily lie, there are lots of angry fans of PS1/2 era platformers, Silent Hill games and Mario speed-runners. They didn't get quite as screwed as we did, but given that I sure as fuck haven't seen any realy successor to Silent Hill 2 yet, and platforming seems to be as dead as isometric turn-based combat, I have some sympathy for their situation.

So basically you've got a guy who hates the modern gaming scene as much as we do, for some of the same reasons as we do, but doesn't share any of our taste in games and probably isn't a very good source of information about whether a crpg is going to be any good.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
So the game is lacking because you do not see the gratification of children corpses smoldering alongside their parents?
What the fuck is wrong with these people? What does it even mean? They are completely subhuman, viewing the world in a completely alien subhuman way.

Fuck, they limited the comments to fagbook users, so I can't even comment on their idiocy.

Some people play games not to...play a game, but to feel things. When they kill characters, they aren't killing characters, they are killing people. So they think the only reason one would want children to be killable is that if you got some sort of experience out of it. Probably a sexual thrill, as anyone that would want such an evil thing in the game is most likely a kiddie fiddler.

corvus

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Some people play games not to...play a game, but to feel things. When they kill characters, they aren't killing characters, they are killing people.

So I came to this one point where I was massacring the Legion forces at the Fort, and I ran into some children. I'd been ruthlessly slaughtering everyone else here, and my character was a psychotic murderer---a cannibal, who'd help someone out and then chainsaw them to pieces while they were thanking him. So it only made sense that I'd murder the kids too, right? But---I didn't feel right about it. I'd gotten some moral twinges before while RP'ing as this guy, but--not like this. I gulped and held down the button to use my Ripper on the child, but---he screamed, ran away, and I didn't chase him. I cringed at his cries for help and hated myself for trying this. I just left the Fort in disgust. This is one of the strongest experiences I've had in gaming.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Clockwork Knight said:
Some people play games not to...play a game, but to feel things. When they kill characters, they aren't killing characters, they are killing people. So they think the only reason one would want children to be killable is that if you got some sort of experience out of it. Probably a sexual thrill, as anyone that would want such an evil thing in the game is most likely a kiddie fiddler.
Jesus fucking Christ.

corvus said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Some people play games not to...play a game, but to feel things. When they kill characters, they aren't killing characters, they are killing people.

So I came to this one point where I was massacring the Legion forces at the Fort, and I ran into some children. I'd been ruthlessly slaughtering everyone else here, and my character was a psychotic murderer---a cannibal, who'd help someone out and then chainsaw them to pieces while they were thanking him. So it only made sense that I'd murder the kids too, right? But---I didn't feel right about it. I'd gotten some moral twinges before while RP'ing as this guy, but--not like this. I gulped and held down the button to use my Ripper on the child, but---he screamed, ran away, and I didn't chase him. I cringed at his cries for help and hated myself for trying this. I just left the Fort in disgust. This is one of the strongest experiences I've had in gaming.
Jesus Fucking CHRIST. Kill it with fire!!! :what: :retarded: :x

That qualifies for the fear and loathing in fandom thread.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Jesus fucking Christ.
:lol:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Entertaining review without major skyway'esque nonsense (from what I could tell).

Why do people even bother whining about Yahtzee? I mean if he says plain wrong or derpy stuff...ok. But this time there was "whine, whine" without any specific reason (apart from: "Hurr he not funny durr...).

corvus said:

1302329338037s.jpg

Patrolling the internet almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Apparently the cool thing to do now is to rip on people who rip on Yahtzee. Or is it to rip on people who rip on people who rip on Yahtzee? Let's ask Mr. Owl:

tumblr_leoiz4TyYp1qb3ioq.gif

Peter

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
So basically you've got a guy who hates the modern gaming scene as much as we do, for some of the same reasons as we do, but doesn't share any of our taste in games and probably isn't a very good source of information about whether a crpg is going to be any good.

Actually, if I recall correctly, he's a big fan of Torment, Looking Glass games (especially Thief) and adventure games, so he has some rather :obviously: favourites.

I more or less agree with what you said, but I felt that that should be pointed out.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is so fucking retarded...

There aren't even chainsaws in Skyrim :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom