Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4: San Francisco (?)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Surf Solar said:
Me neither! Especially when I read that Avellone wants to reset the wasteland (you can nuke the NCR and legion back to the stoneage in Lonesome Road) which hopefully sets some things back to zero, without all those tropes which were lately in Fallout.
Might as well make a whole new setting, Post-Apocalypse is a wonderful blank slate. I'd love a non-Fallout PA RPG. Maybe something more "grimdark", I find Fallout too light-hearted for a PA world sometimes.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Is it still possible to create a fresh-feeling, realistic grimdark PA game?

Also, would a PA Russia/Soviet setting be any different from any other area where people are scrambling for survival?

I'm not asking these because I know the answers. I just wonder about this often. Part of me still wants to move Shelter back to Earth.

Surf Solar said:
BTW - my biggest fear and nightmare is that Bethesda will settle near the Chicago/Lake Michigan area for their next game (it's where my game is set in). :(

You don't need to worry. Bethesda has a habit of doing serious foreshadowing of where the next game in their series is going to be. Look at all the hints in Morrowind about Cyrodiil, or the fact that skyrim was referenced more than any other province was in Oblivion. Going off this, it seems like the smart bet is on a Fallout POS:3 set in the "Commonwealth" aka Massachusetts, because that was the only location that really got a lot of mention.

Eyeball

Arcane
Texas/Arizona would be nice. Moar westernz, please.

Detroit might be another good one. Real easy to get inspiration for too, it's practically post-apocalyptic already.

How about a hub-based FO where you could travel to different parts of the world in pursuit of some grand goal, cure for nuclear AIDS or whatever? From the Capital Wasteland to the Nipponese Radlands to the Zone of Pripyat? FO Goes Global?

Might be interesting to see IMO, but the FO stories seem to work better in smaller areas, with most travel is on foot or by car across vast areas of irradiated wasteland.

parara

Novice
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Surf Solar said:
BTW - my biggest fear and nightmare is that Bethesda will settle near the Chicago/Lake Michigan area for their next game (it's where my game is set in). :(

You don't need to worry. Bethesda has a habit of doing serious foreshadowing of where the next game in their series is going to be. Look at all the hints in Morrowind about Cyrodiil, or the fact that skyrim was referenced more than any other province was in Oblivion. Going off this, it seems like the smart bet is on a Fallout POS:3 set in the "Commonwealth" aka Massachusetts, because that was the only location that really got a lot of mention.

Not gonna count on anyone to find me a credible source (seeing as I registered today after lurking for two years), but a friend of mine managed to get one of his buddies at Bethesda drunk enough to spill the beans on the next location. According to him, it's Boston.

Makes sense with all the references to Massachusetts.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
shihonage said:
Is it still possible to create a fresh-feeling, realistic grimdark PA game?

Also, would a PA Russia/Soviet setting be any different from any other area where people are scrambling for survival?

I'm not asking these because I know the answers. I just wonder about this often. Part of me still wants to move Shelter back to Earth.
Hm. I think not setting the game in a desert would be a step torwards freshness. I remember there was a PA RPG (that's exactly how it was called) in development that was set in an arctic enviroment, it looked p. interesting.

I think setting the game in another planet is also interesting, like a colony that loses contact with the rest of civilization for whatever reason.

Eyeball said:
How about a hub-based FO where you could travel to different parts of the world in pursuit of some grand goal, cure for nuclear AIDS or whatever? From the Capital Wasteland to the Nipponese Radlands to the Zone of Pripyat? FO Goes Global
How about dragons?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Surf Solar said:

I guess you're right, I've read a couple of people in FO3 tell the PC of that Commonwealth.
Still, the horror, it is haunting my dreams and weak moments. :)

Eyeball said:
Detroit might be another good one.

:smug:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Hm. I think not setting the game in a desert would be a step torwards freshness. I remember there was a PA RPG (that's exactly how it was called) in development that was set in an arctic enviroment, it looked p. interesting.

Sadly it looks like that project seems to be dying a slow death...

An RPG with a Nuclear Winter setting would be fascinating .

If you're goiiiiing to Saaaaan fraaaaanciscoooooo
You don't haaaave to patrol the Mojave deseeeeert.
MOSCOW. PARIS. NEW YORK... SAN FRAN CISCO!
*busty naked chick dancing in the bus*

I think not setting the game in a desert would be a step torwards freshness
Oh god, this.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Metro said:
Everyone knows it'll be set in New Orleans with the main villain being the preserved brain of former mayor Ray 'Chocolate City' Nagin.

I know that this is a joke, but I actually think that you could set one hell of a Fallout game in NoLa. Anything by Bethesda seems likely to be this Commonwealth place, though. Which might not be bad, actually...seeing someplace a little more civilized in the setting that isn't NCR territory. I only wish that they had explored the idea more in Fallout 3, but the one quest that involved the area and made mention of it was dreadfully anemic.

MCA
Fallout license has lost its relevance and prematurely exhausted its lifespan, imo. Couldn't give a shit even if Obsidian was doing a new one. FNV is already in my top 10 but even it's still full of too much anti-Fallout things, despite all the material they have resurrected from VB and bible for the DLCs. It's. Just. Not. Fallout.

Also lol @ those of you thinking it's legit. Just how much greener can you get?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's bound to be even more lulzy than Fallout 3, considering the commonwealth is where the robot people came from.

grotsnik

Arcane
Grim Monk said:

Sadly it looks like that project seems to be dying a slow death...

A lack of coders to really get the ball rolling was/is their real, problem, I think. Fucking shame.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well, it could be worse.

It could be in New York.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What's wrong with New York, other that it has been overused as "the" place to make a catastrophy movie in?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Matt7895 said:
Painfully obvious that that is fake.

Also, if Bethesda decides they will make Fallout 4 instead of Obsidian I will be so pissed off.

What is it with you stupid shits? Why in the world would you expect Obsidian to make Fallout 4 when it's bethesda's IP and they bought it because they wanted to make fallout games? :decline:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
villain of the story said:
Fallout license has lost its relevance and prematurely exhausted its lifespan, imo. Couldn't give a shit even if Obsidian was doing a new one. FNV is already in my top 10 but even it's still full of too much anti-Fallout things, despite all the material they have resurrected from VB and bible for the DLCs. It's. Just. Not. Fallout.

Also lol @ those of you thinking it's legit. Just how much greener can you get?

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. While PA setting itself could be reset and re-explored, the so-called "Fallout Universe" has long lost anything in common with materials that inspired Wasteland.

ironyuri

I wish someone would make a decent RPG with solid mechanics set in a post-apocalyptic ancient roman setting...

oh shi-

one that isn't vapourware

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom