Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Reptilian Shapeshifter said:
Having to hit a bandit wearing hide armor 30+ times before he goes down is fucking stupid.
By 30+ times you mean two power attacks at level 30 on Master difficulty?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I was amazed by his statement as well. Most enemies die instantly on Master difficulty with a well built Two Handed Weapon character. The exceptional ones take two or three blows.

By the way, I finally got Epic Ebony Warhammer, Epic Ebony Armour, Epic Ebony Helmet, Epic Ebony Gauntlets, and Epic Ebony Boots, all at Level 23. And getting the Smithing skill to be able to craft all those high level equipments by mass producing Iron Daggers cost me merely 5800 of my 6500 gold.

YEEEAAAAAAH...

Now to put fire resistance on all of them.

crufty

Arcane
Ugh

Just found out the hard way that areas respawn

I *hate* that. I cleared a bandit fort that straddled a bridge. It is now repopulated. Though the title said clear. So when I fast travelled there, I immediately was assaulted by the plunking of arrows.

Btw I think the thieves quest is cool as hell, though it started off kind fruity. I lile how it really feeds other quests.

I don't know what state Maraketh is in,, though I did find an interesting glitch.

Busted out of the clink with the foresworn king, putting a few cats to the sword. Followed king allll the way back to the foresworn camp, when we were suddenly aggro'd by the foresworn located there! Pretty funny as the foresworn descended on us from the encampment and began attacking their 'king'. I high tailed it out...

roll-a-die

Magister
Wyrmlord said:
I was amazed by his statement as well. Most enemies die instantly on Master difficulty with a well built Two Handed Weapon character. The exceptional ones take two or three blows.

By the way, I finally got Epic Ebony Warhammer, Epic Ebony Armour, Epic Ebony Helmet, Epic Ebony Gauntlets, and Epic Ebony Boots, all at Level 23. And getting the Smithing skill to be able to craft all those high level equipments by mass producing Iron Daggers cost me merely 5800 of my 6500 gold.

YEEEAAAAAAH...

Now to put fire resistance on all of them.

Put a 1 point banish on the iron daggers.

They'll sell for around 2000 septims.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
At level 20, I'm already burn-out and pretty much bored to death.

I managed to completely fucked up Maraketh area. There is a quest at Thalos altar which gets you in the prison and then you have to escape. Did that. But then I went back to the Thalos altar and I've found the previous 3 guards asking me the same thing (!?) They did not acknowledge the fact that the Jarl admitted I had no involvement in the Maraketh's murders. I had to kill them. And then I had to kill all the guards from the city. I have something like 8000 gold bounty on my head. But I don't care.
Then I went to the main Foresworn camp and I killed their leader in front of the entire camp. Nobody moved a muscle. So I think I fucked up my standing both with Maraketh Jarl and the Foresworn. Real C&C. My ass.

And more:
- After +20h I still struggle with the menu. It's unbelievable retarded and there is not even a simple stat info screen. Even choosing a perk is a hassle.
- The caves seems to be handmade, in fact the entire world is handmade. But I cannot shake the feeling of a crowded room. Too many shitty things all over the place.
- There are spellcasters way more dangerous than dragons. So, there goes the lore.
- And the combat. I didn't have big expectations, but I wanted something more fluid. Which is not. With the weird animations, the only way to do it is to mash the mouse buttons and watch the health bars. I'm playing a one-hander/shield avatar, but the mechanics are simply too clunky to have a fluid experience. Therefore there is no sense of achievement like in Gothic for example.
- After 10-20 caves, there is a feeling of déjà vu. Like I said before, the caves seems to be handmade, therefore visually they don't repeat. But if the game has 150-200 caves in total, there is one constant in each one of them: KILL EVERYTHING. And that's the entire game.
- Once again, the trading system is retarded. If you buy a sword with 2000 gold and want to resell it, maybe you get 300 gold on it. You want ingredients for potions. Tough luck. All of them are expensive.
- Overall this game made me feel like playing a mmorpg. In fact the skill system is perfect for a grinding mmorpg. And the only good thing was when by mistake I've power attacked and killed my dog :)

In other words, I feel drained of any energy or motivation to continue. And I simply break down when I got another quest in the opposite side of the map. I didn't want to use fast travel and I didn't want to ride to the destination. Fuck it. I'm done.

shiggidyshwa

Novice
toro said:
At level 20, I'm already burn-out and pretty much bored to death.

I managed to completely fucked up Maraketh area. There is a quest at Thalos altar which gets you in the prison and then you have to escape. Did that. But then I went back to the Thalos altar and I've found the previous 3 guards asking me the same thing (!?) They did not acknowledge the fact that the Jarl admitted I had no involvement in the Maraketh's murders. I had to kill them. And then I had to kill all the guards from the city. I have something like 8000 gold bounty on my head. But I don't care.
Then I went to the main Foresworn camp and I killed their leader in front of the entire camp. Nobody moved a muscle. So I think I fucked up my standing both with Maraketh Jarl and the Foresworn. Real C&C. My ass.

And more:
- After +20h I still struggle with the menu. It's unbelievable retarded and there is not even a simple stat info screen. Even choosing a perk is a hassle.
- The caves seems to be handmade, in fact the entire world is handmade. But I cannot shake the feeling of a crowded room. Too many shitty things all over the place.
- There are spellcasters way more dangerous than dragons. So, there goes the lore.
- And the combat. I didn't have big expectations, but I wanted something more fluid. Which is not. With the weird animations, the only way to do it is to mash the mouse buttons and watch the health bars. I'm playing a one-hander/shield avatar, but the mechanics are simply too clunky to have a fluid experience. Therefore there is no sense of achievement like in Gothic for example.
- After 10-20 caves, there is a feeling of déjà vu. Like I said before, the caves seems to be handmade, therefore visually they don't repeat. But if the game has 150-200 caves in total, there is one constant in each one of them: KILL EVERYTHING. And that's the entire game.
- Once again, the trading system is retarded. If you buy a sword with 2000 gold and want to resell it, maybe you get 300 gold on it. You want ingredients for potions. Tough luck. All of them are expensive.
- Overall this game made me feel like playing a mmorpg. In fact the skill system is perfect for a grinding mmorpg. And the only good thing was when by mistake I've power attacked and killed my dog :)

In other words, I feel drained of any energy or motivation to continue. And I simply break down when I got another quest in the opposite side of the map. I didn't want to use fast travel and I didn't want to ride to the destination. Fuck it. I'm done.

QFT, though I'm not exactly bored yet.

Mangoose said:
Reptilian Shapeshifter said:
Having to hit a bandit wearing hide armor 30+ times before he goes down is fucking stupid.
By 30+ times you mean two power attacks at level 30 on Master difficulty?

If you don't take the one/two handed perks early on, it's death by papercuts time. I was running into this issue between level 10-15 having mostly leveled heavy armor, smithing and enchanting up to that point. Once I got to a high enough level and maxed one-handed, enchanting and smithing, I was one-shotting almost everything.

Regardless, it's stupid either way. The system is broken, exploitable shit.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That Markarth quest is reportedly bugged to shit, just like a few others in the game. Hopefully Bethesda patches them, though in the past they haven't been very good about fixing scripting issues with patches, so we might have to wait for fan fixes instead.

Mayday

Augur
Interesting information from a fellow forumer:

"Back in 2007 I contracted a QA house in Baltimore to do some work for Rupture at EA. I flew back and forth to get them setup and train them, getting to know the team leads and engineers. Come to find out, they are one of the major contractors for Bethesda and Zenimax. They were testing Fallout 3 at the time.

After 2 months I terminated the contract when they routinely failed to perform."

Neeshka

Educated
About Markath:

the quest is buggy but there is a fix that will permanently fix the annoying mass guard attacking you problem.

If you manage to actually do the prison quest and come out you basically just have to kill as many guards as you need to safely exit the zone.

Start the stormcloak chain from ulfric and continue until you get sent to markath. Fast travel to the keep and just kill all the guards there. When you enter the throne room the npc you need to talk to is unkillable, along with 2 other unkillable npc's. Just kill the other 2 first and quickly run to the adjoining room on the right. Close the door and get him to crouch in defeat and sheath your weapon. You can continue the quest. Leave markath, don't come back and just finish the stormcloak chain.

When you finish the entire city will have a different set of guards and all bounty is reset.

I've never gotten why people rag on Skyrim's one-handed/sword-and-board combat as "button mashing" or "just standing there are swinging wildly".
Game balance is completely missing. Dual wield one-handed is probably the most optimal playstyle in the game and this is quite easy to figure out.

Combat essentially involves nudging forward to the enemy and mashing power attack with left/ring mouse buttons. Nudge back, repeat. Drink potions (health/stamina/wine/ale) when required.

Also after a decent set of perks and gear and levelling alchemy/enchanting/smithing every single thing in the game dies in just a couple of hits.

"hard" enemies just hit for insane amounts and basically 1 or 2 shot you.

At level 45, with full dragon armor and daedric weapons; a ton of potions and strong enchants ; ancient dragons/alduin/daedra/draugr deathlords all just fall over. The only "problems" are casters like pyromancers and daedric casters. Again if I get close to them they die in a few hits. I didn't use any exploits to get the game to be this way; i just did what felt right.

95% of enemies = die in 2 hits
5% of enemies = die in 5 hits but require heavy potion usage

In both cases I use the exact same combat mechanic of going up close and hitting 2 buttons. To bethesda "difficulty" means enemy health+damage bloat.

Anyway I'm occasionally having fun with this when I see something like the spriggan caves or otherworldly zones (azura quest end/misty village/pelagius dream/blackreach). These zones are slightly better than the same repetitive crypt with draugr/dwemer ruin with falmer or barracks with bandits type snoozefests.

The main quest itself was rather short and underwhelmingly easy.

Amateur

Novice
bored after level 9, there is no difference in classes, no restrictions, everything is dumbed as hell, awful ui.

Comparing shit to another shit, what is the point ? You want to know which one smells worse?

Vb

Novice
A question for those who can withstand Skyrim's tedium better than I can:

Do the dungeons at higher levels (35 - 40 and up) have better design with multiple paths ? Or are they also linear corridors for the most part, punctuated with a badly-hidden chest now and again ? When I quit the game for good at 30-odd, I did more exploring while hiking around outside the "dungeons" of Skyrim.

attackfighter

Magister
Vb said:

Do the dungeons at higher levels (35 - 40 and up) have better design with multiple paths ? Or are they also linear corridors for the most part, punctuated with a badly-hidden chest now and again ? When I quit the game for good at 30-odd, I did more exploring while hiking around outside the "dungeons" of Skyrim.

The only difference between a dungeon at level 1 and a dungeon at level 50 is what level the monsters in it scale to. The layout wouldn't change at all.

Majestic47

Learned
Vb said:

Not sure about high-end , my highest level is around 30+ but most dungeons are boring for thief - he just one shots everything with sneak attacks.

The more interesting parts of the dungeon tend to be dwemer, cause it leads to some deeper underground caverns that are quite massive to explore.

The least interesting ones tend to be crypts populated by draughers and more draughers boring as heck.

Gregz

Arcane
skvVR.gif

:incline:

Vb

Novice
attackfighter said:
The only difference between a dungeon at level 1 and a dungeon at level 50 is what level the monsters in it scale to. The layout wouldn't change at all.

Allow me to rephrase my question: Do the dungeons meant for high-level characters ramp up the complexity as far as the dungeon structure is concerned ? Most of my dungeoneering time was spent in uninspired, linear caves and crypts, making the whole dungeon aspect formulaic.

Dwemer ruins (at least the one in the Main Quest) seemed massive, though, and I'm wondering whether those kinds of dungeons are the exception rather than the norm at higher levels as well.

Neeshka

Educated
Vb said:

Nope, almost every dungeon is a very linear affair.

They are 1 of 3 types:

1. Crypt corridors with draugr (undead)
2. Dwemer corridors with falmer (gollum with bows)
3. Barracks with bandits/caves

Very very rarely there are a few slightly interesting areas that break from this pattern :

Blackwatch - a large open area underground place with glowing mushroom trees. Although it looks nice and has a somewhat non-linear design it serves almost zero purpose and has an incredibly annoying gather 20 things type quest. The "dungeons" in here again are linear dwemer ruins.

The spriggan caves - very rare; but they look good at least.

Pelagius dream sequence, Misty grove with sanguine (god of drunkenness), inside azura's star.

The above departures from the monotone of samey dungeons are few and far between.

Other than that there are 3 incredibly annoying door mechanics or "puzzles" that are not hard but just tedious.

1. Rotating rings doors : (look at the claw key and rotate stone rings to open the door)
2. Match rotating stone pillars with the picture in front of it then pull the lever.
3. 3-4 levers that need to be in a certain order to open/unlock a door.
4. Tiny hidden chain that opens a locked grill door.

Of the above (3) occasionally can be somewhat interesting all the others are shit.

Vb said:
Allow me to rephrase my question: Do the dungeons meant for high-level characters ramp up the complexity as far as the dungeon structure is concerned ? Most of my dungeoneering time was spent in uninspired, linear caves and crypts, making the whole dungeon aspect formulaic.

Dwemer ruins (at least the one in the Main Quest) seemed massive, though, and I'm wondering whether those kinds of dungeons are the exception rather than the norm at higher levels as well.
Nope complexity doesn't increase; dwemer ruins are actually one of the worst dungeon types. Good dungeons are extremely rare (less than 5%).

CorpseZeb

Learned
Uhm. In some way, picture send by Gregz, melting nicely with pictures send by Baronjohn, all together concluded by vocal sign of relief courtesy of sir Circ. Amen.

Sul

Savant
Neeshka said:
Blackwatch - a large open area underground place with glowing mushroom trees. Although it looks nice and has a somewhat non-linear design it serves almost zero purpose and has an incredibly annoying gather 20 things type quest. The "dungeons" in here again are linear dwemer ruins.
Lorefags heaven. Not much to see otherwise.

Neeshka said:
Misty grove with sanguine (god of drunkenness)
God... Drunkenness...
wat

:x

DraQ

Arcane
Dungeons seem linear and don't allow for much exploration, but they try to have some more interesting design than room-corridor-room. Sometimes they seem to have more than one entrance and more than one single flow direction.

I also randomly encountered a cabin (probably quest related) with bandits hideout in cavern beneath.

I can't generalize, especially given how those location could be placed in a way making early player likely to stumble upon them, but so far it's not that bad.

Also combat is flawed at its core but far more enjoyable than in oblivious. For example, stagger matters a lot.

As much as inexcusable the interface and dumbing down are, it's a far, far better game than oblivious.

baronjohn said:
Keep your retarded DoF out of my fucking Morrowind!
:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom