Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Popular Rpgs that you tried but never was able to finish?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Infinitron said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I strongly prefer Fallout combat with its aiming and critical hit tables and Darklands combat with parrying/berserk/precise, over the slow generic attacks of Baldur's Gate.

Yes, it's more fun to take aimed shots at people's eyes and watch the awesome gore and read the funny messages in the text box in the corner, but is it more :obviously: ? IMO, not really.
It is more :obviously: than just passively watching character trying to chop another character to death. The main problem is that they dumbed down Fallout when they have removed GURPS and included retarded stuff like unlimited inventory actions.

mondblut

Arcane
Infinitron said:
Actually, I think a lot of the Baldur's Gate haters just didn't like the feel of the Infinity Engine.

You are saying that like it's not a reason enough.

Although comrade MMXI is right of course. Fuck story, what makes a game good is the amount of content NOT connected to it. After tons of spreadsheets and tb combat, naturally.

DraQ

Arcane
Roguey said:
DraQ said:
Edwin said:
Divinity Emo Draconis(or what):I dunno,killed a few chickens,found a big village(the 2.) and just got bored
The part before you reach Talana is the undisputed lowest point of the game.
The flying fortresses and any dungeon with jumping puzzles are worse. The former's pure timesink padding, the latter's just shit.
Except the former happens before the game manages to establish any atmosphere and feel. It's just "hurr-durr kill derpy goblins" which is perfectly legitimate reason to shelf the game if you expect there won't be much more to it.

Fortresses are at least located far enough for the atmosphere to solidify, have certain distinct if surreal art style and atmosphere even if the gameplay is lacking making them fairly palatable.

Sceptic said:
Infinitron said:
MMXI is of course correct and the rationalizations of the morons retroactively hating on Baldur's Gate because they hate modern-day Bioware are pathetic
Dude... some of us played BG1 back in '98. Back when we thought it was internally developed by Interplay and the first time we saw the Bioware logo we went "who?"
This.

BG was just as uninspired in 1997 as it is now.

It's better than oblivion, but not by all that much.

Infinitron said:
The necessity for full party control adds exponentially more challenge
Especially when party members left to their own devices for but a second immediately engage in derpiest suicide attempts possible.
:roll:

The only good attempt at RTWP I've ever seen was Homeworld.
BG was pathetic.
So was PST, but it was at least salvaged by kickass story, atmosphere and characters.

MMXI said:
And that's exactly why I made the comparison. Why focus so much on the main quest? The main quest in a TES game is about a 5th of the game's content and DraQ loves that series (well, Morrowind at least).
Except I hate oblivious with the rage of a thousand suns.

Apart from other things I hate it for being fucking linear.

It's actually nearly the same (~10%) in Baldur's Gate if you include the expansion pack areas. When you sit back in your chair while the credits roll up the screen, do you only consider the exact steps required to get you there, even when those steps are such a small portion of the product? With Ultima IV you have to go to all the dungeons and get all the stones. You have to visit all three altar rooms. You have to get the bell, book and the candle. Yes, you can do them in any order, and that's one of the reasons why the game is so great, but it changes absolutely nothing in terms of the gameplay or the story. Do you still remember which order you collected those items in? I don't, and I last played the game a couple of years back. Do I still remember the way in which I whipped around the Sword Coast when I last played Baldur's Gate, knowing full well that 90% of those areas have nothing to do with the main quest? Yeah, I actually do, especially as those optional areas provided a ton of high quality loot that made a huge difference to my party's combat prowess, the only thing to actually give a fuck about in D&D games (and most RPGs for that matter).

If the game is a loose collection of linear quests, it's still linear.
There is still no room to do stuff differently and the best thing you could count on in BG was usually a biowarean moral non-choice.

To make your game nonlinear you need to introduce branching, introduce substantial freedom regarding the way player's goals are achieved, or way for events to affect each other.

If your game consists just of isolated bits of linear content then it doesn't matter how many bits there are or how big the world is - the game is still linear, because it would lose nothing if those bits of content were linearised by merging into single predetermined sequence. If those bits of content, however, affected each other fair bit of the game would be destroyed by linearisation.

Aand, to make things worse, BG doesn't even have proper exploration, because exploring needs no involvement on part of the player, you just wipe the blackness off, monotonously waving your cursor so it passes over every pixel of the map, to not miss any cleverly hidden item.

Morrowind is, at the very least, a successful exploration sim.

Do you even need to get the water chip in Fallout to complete the game? If not, that entire arc taking you to the majority of the zones in the game is completely optional and thus has no impact at all on the game's (non)linearity (according to you and DraQ, apparently).
Except skipping it would require meta-knowledge, so it has no impact on normal gameplay.

Plus, side content has impact on non-linearity - when it's nonlinear.

The bit with underage Umberlee cleric and follow-up alone weren't bad for instance, too bad they were an exception rather than rule.

Well that's a load of crap. If the game is more than one giant mandatory linear quest then you do start to have freedom. And why does the fact that you have to ride rails from time to time automatically make something linear? In fact, I can't think of many cRPGs in which you don't have to ride a rail at least once during the game. What matters is how big that part is in relation to the whole game. How often do you find yourself in a position in which you can only do one thing. Because I can tell you that for the vast majority of Baldur's Gate you do have the freedom to do other things. In fact, the only times you're put on a rail is the chapter endings (Nashkel Mines, Cloakwood etc.) and the final section of the game (the return to Candlekeep to the end game) that you seem to prefer over the rest.
So it's like Doom, the nonlinear shooter - it has secrets and stuff, you can play it differently by refusing to use certain weapons, it even has secret levels and the only times it puts you on a rail is chapter level endings.
:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Especially when party members left to their own devices for but a second immediately engage in derpiest suicide attempts possible.

You're not supposed to leave your party members alone except for the trashiest of trash mob fights. That's the challenge.

But I understand if your brain is not developed enough to multitask, so that you have to interpret a feature as a bug.

There is still no room to do stuff differently and the best thing you could count on in BG was usually a biowarean moral non-choice.

Now you're confusing C&C with linearity. Two different things.

Aand, to make things worse, BG doesn't even have proper exploration, because exploring needs no involvement on part of the player, you just wipe the blackness off, monotonously waving your cursor so it passes over every pixel of the map, to not miss any cleverly hidden item.

Back in 1998, Bioware couldn't think of a better way to implement exploration in a 2D isometric game. What's your suggestion?

sirfink

Scholar
Planescape: Torment. Tried 4 times and just never got into it.

There goes my Kred.

Joghurt

Augur
I played MotB but never finished it. I loved the story and the choices but I just couldn't stand the combat. DD at higher levels sucks. You just end up casting buffs before battles and then dominating everything. Plus I couldn't see shit on screen because of all the freaking explosions and magic shit happening when the combat starts.

MotB would have been perfect if it would start at lvl 1 ...

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hmmm.

Daggerfall, Icewind Dale I & II, all the Ultimas, Dark Sun II(some game-stopping bug prevented me), Torchlight, Darklands, Knights of the Chalice, both Eschalon books, Nethergate: Resurrection and all the Divinity games.

Gosling

Liturgist
Daggerfall: started it numerous times, but never got interested in the main quest. Great game though.
The same goes for Morrowind.

MotB: started it three times and got halfway through but at a certain point inventory management, prebuffing and having to deal with the annoying spirit-meter mechanic (much revered here) made me lose all will to continue.

KOTOR: couldn't bring myself to go on, the game is shit and jedi suck. Figuring out the main twist in the very beginning of the game didn't help either.

IWD2: got to Severed Hand level 3 and left it at that.

Drakensang: TRoT: midway through the game decided to re-start playing it with a new class, got to the elven area then thought about going through the haunted ruins once again and decided to take a pause. Will maybe continue once again later.

M&M VI: played it religiously and progressed to the final areas then all of a sudden got too tired of it and could not force myself to go on.

Later Might-and-Magics: bugs.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I have played almost every CRPG made before 2005, with the exception of some more obscure 80s and 90s ones.

I only recall finishing:

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
(possibly 1-2 more Gold Box games that I forgot about finishing.
Dark Sun: The Shattered Lands
Fallout
Fallout 2
Arcanum (Regret finishing it)
Planescape: Tournament (I pretty much don't remember any of it, but I did finish).
System Shock 2 (not an RPG)
Deus Ex (not an RPG)
Baldur's Gate
Jagged Alliance 2
Fallout Tactics
Baldur's Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal
Icewind Dale
Odium
VTM:B (I think...)
Last Scenario
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
Knights of the Chalice

I usually get bored at a certain point and take a break. But then I never come back to the game. The games I listed here aren't always my favorites, not sure why I finished some of them. It's interesting that I finished all the story fag staples (but don't have any positive memories) but never finished a lot of combatfag games that I like the design of.

MMXI

Arcane
mondblut said:
Although comrade MMXI is right of course. Fuck story, what makes a game good is the amount of content NOT connected to it. After tons of spreadsheets and tb combat, naturally.
Naturally. :salute:

DraQ said:
This is the most ridiculous thing you've said. If you can pick which quests/encounters you want to do and when you want to do them, even if those quests/encounters are narratively linear, how is that necessarily more linear than being able to pick and choose which order to do things in within a quest? Why are you thinking in terms of quests anyway? Why not just think in terms of over all content?

In Baldur's Gate you can choose which encounters and side quests to even bother with on top of choosing the order in which to do them in. If all of those side quests were made mandatory, and loosely tied to one big plot, you'd get a structure similar to Ultima IV, a game that is often cited as being non-linear. How does that work exactly?

DraQ said:
To make your game nonlinear you need to introduce branching, introduce substantial freedom regarding the way player's goals are achieved, or way for events to affect each other.
Yes. And in Baldur's Gate it's all about combat. Do you want to sneak your thief up to an enemy spell-caster and back-stab them, or do you want to lead them into a couple of skull traps? That's freedom right there. How about buffing up a lone fighter with enough protection potions as to make them invulnerable to the mage? Consequences? Well that's a bunch of rare potions used up! Resource management is the ultimate C&C.

DraQ said:
If your game consists just of isolated bits of linear content then it doesn't matter how many bits there are or how big the world is - the game is still linear, because it would lose nothing if those bits of content were linearised by merging into single predetermined sequence. If those bits of content, however, affected each other fair bit of the game would be destroyed by linearisation.
You would lose nothing eh? How about being able to pick and choose what content to do? How about choosing the order in which to tackle content in? Not enough for you? Clearly not.

DraQ said:
What is your obsession with the black shroud? You mentioned it in a previous thread. Scared of the dark? It's just a really handy way to let you know exactly where you've explored. Without it you would have to keep track of where you've explored yourself. Have you ever played the 1985 SSI RPG Phantasie? It had shroud that you had to clear and it was quite a nice feature.

DraQ said:
Except skipping it would require meta-knowledge, so it has no impact on normal gameplay.
Would it? Surely it would only need a bit of old-school curiosity and undirected exploration? And if being able to cut out a huge chunk of content using "meta-knowledge" is such a bad thing, would you support a patch forcing you to retrieve the water chip before being able to find the military base? Nah, of course you wouldn't. That would make the game... more linear. Funny how that works, eh?

DraQ said:
Plus, side content has impact on non-linearity - when it's nonlinear.
Content like a quest chain? Made up of quests? Made up of quest steps? Made up of items, characters, spells and/or environmental interactions? What does it even mean for content to be non-linear when you can break content up into smaller chunks of content? All you're doing is tying content together in a way that a quest log tells you to. A whole 10 hour quest chain may be "non-linear" in the sense that the quests within it can be done in different orders. But those quests themselves could be larger than 10 individual side quests in Baldur's Gate put together. You can do those in any order you like too.

DraQ said:
The bit with underage Umberlee cleric and follow-up alone weren't bad for instance, too bad they were an exception rather than rule.
Yeah. That was nice. Except that was the biggest "back-and-forth" quest in the entire fucking game.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Infinitron said:
You're not supposed to leave your party members alone except for the trashiest of trash mob fights. That's the challenge.

But I understand if your brain is not developed enough to multitask, so that you have to interpret a feature as a bug.

It's like playing chess with retarded kittens instead of pieces, except if it were real you could menace the kittens.

If I understand correctly, you're arguing that the RT component adds a time/multitasking challenge to the game. Yes?

I think that's wrong because you can pause. It completely removes the constraint on player time that would make the RT more challenging than TB. Futher, I don't think it's fun because the IE interface is kind of a chore to use.

For the record, strategizing in TB is multitasking. I would argue that it's a more challenging form of multitasking because you can plan in terms of stages and have pieces converge. In IE, there always seems to be a retarded 1-6 second delay because they tried to RT a turn based system.

But we haven't really addressed what makes BG's IE combat really, really horrible... There are no attacks of opportunity, no zones of control, no tactical stances, no real special moves in combat like disarming attempts, trip attempts, or targeted attacks, no reach, no variable movement rates, no flanking (that I can remember) rules... Combat always devolved into having one or two tanks try to draw the attention of all enemies while every member of your party unloaded with ranged weapons. Oh, yeah, there were no penalties for using ranged weapons in combat and misses carried no chance of hitting friendlies. Add to that that AI was retarded and you have a game with very, very little value in its combat.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Baldur's Gate was gorgeous and very complete with a happy amount of exploration and (often bad) humour when I first got it at ten years old. But even then I knew the IE engine had its limits and once I'd seen them I would be done.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Skittles said:
For the record, strategizing in TB is multitasking. I would argue that it's a more challenging form of multitasking because you can plan in terms of stages and have pieces converge. In IE, there always seems to be a retarded 1-6 second delay because they tried to RT a turn based system.

But we haven't really addressed what makes BG's IE combat really, really horrible... There are no attacks of opportunity, no zones of control, no tactical stances, no real special moves in combat like disarming attempts, trip attempts, or targeted attacks, no reach, no variable movement rates, no flanking (that I can remember) rules... Combat always devolved into having one or two tanks try to draw the attention of all enemies while every member of your party unloaded with ranged weapons. Oh, yeah, there were no penalties for using ranged weapons in combat and misses carried no chance of hitting friendlies. Add to that that AI was retarded and you have a game with very, very little value in its combat.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Baldur's Gate was gorgeous and very complete with a happy amount of exploration and (often bad) humour when I first got it at ten years old. But even then I knew the IE engine had its limits and once I'd seen them I would be done.

I agree 100% that TB with full party control is even better than RTwP. But both are miles ahead of Fallout-style combat, and I don't get the people who say that 'LOL Bioware made REAL TIME DERP, HARDCORE TURN-BASED Fallout is the TRUE saviour of the RPG genre'.
This argument is at the very centre of the omnipresent, yet little spoken of factional struggle between the C&C Fanatics and the Mondblutians here on the Codex. Maybe I shouldn't push it. ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
BTW, my favorite bit of C&C in Baldur's Gate was the arrogant merchant noble (Aldeth Sashenstar, IIRC) you met in the Cloakwood, whom you could kill or defend from druids.

If you killed him, his brother would try to kill you later on in the city in revenge. He had a nice crossbow.

If you defended him, you could visit his trading coster and clean the place of Sarevok's dopplegangers (and fighting dopplegangers in BG is always a treat. Time to fillet some MEAT)
Then in the last chapter the fucker turned you in. :smug:

Zomg

Arbiter
DraQ said:
If your game consists just of isolated bits of linear content then it doesn't matter how many bits there are or how big the world is - the game is still linear, because it would lose nothing if those bits of content were linearised by merging into single predetermined sequence.

Actually worse than that - it would be improved by being hard linear, because then you could fucking balance it

Note about RTw/P: A good implementation is possible. It has many of the strengths of TB and removes some of the inherent fagginess of nigh-universal turn exploits that would otherwise have to be patched by clumsy subsystems like interrupts or overwatch. I'm thinking of Brigade E5/7.62mm which are good systems burdened with bad Russian games/translations. I used to be a hater based on typical RPG RTw/P implementations, where it has no purpose except making trash fights less annoying on a per-fight basis (although the developers then just put in more trash fights up to the limit of human capacity for tedium to make their games longer). There are still problems that mean TB is not obsolete though (like doing simultaneous actions in distant areas).

tindrli

Arcane
-Daggerfall: i didnt know that this game exist till rpgcodex
-Lionheart: same as above
-Ultima series: i just dont know why i never played any part of series
-Wasteland: too lazy to finish
-Bard's Tale II, III: gave this game a lot of time on amiga but i was too young to understand.
-Devil's Whiskey didnt have time to dedicate
-ToEE: it was so buggy when i installed it. i remember that i liked the damn thing but it crashed as hell backthen.
-Pool of Radiance: never manage to make it work
-Wizardy series: I only play 8-th and still playing it from time to time.
-NWN2: got bored later
-Gothic series: i manage to aquire all 3 parts and i'll probably start this winter
-Witcher: bored
-witcher 2: i decided not to play it after reading bros opinions
-Oblivion: i stop playing when i realized that the only things that im doing is installing damn mods
-Fallout 3 and NV: got bored
-Dragonage 2: a disgrace for RPG
-Divinity 2 : Still have it installed
-DeusX HR: got bored
-Drakensang series: never gave it a chance. i will download it someday
-Sacred 2: got bored

...Shit .. that would be it more less

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think the question is about games started and never finished, not games you never even really began to play.

Kaol

Educated
Fallout 2 - Shit combat and crap graphics.
Arcanum - Shit combat.
Baldurs Gate - Lost interest.

skyst

Augur
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. I had that one awesome, initial run where I got dozens of hours into the game and, for some long forgotten reason, stopped. I have been unable to successfully take the story past the first visit to that big, main city ever again.

I recently finished Temple of Elemental Evil for the first time after numerous attempts of a full play through. I even bought it the week it was originally released... it was a long time coming. Was alright, I guess. Finishing it made me feel good.

mondblut

Arcane
Infinitron said:
I think the question is about games started and never finished, not games you never even really began to play.

I think OP should make an emphasis on having played them for a significant time before quitting. Otherwise I could list pretty much every non-jap RPG released after 1984, looking at their start menu and possibly fiddling with character creation and walking a few steps around the starting house is the least I would do in order to know what I am forfeiting. Back in the day, that was necessary.

The beautiful thing about post-2000 "RPGs" is, you don't have to sample them any longer in order to realize you don't want to play them. And after 2006, you don't even need to look at a screenshot or two, you don't want to play them them by default. Heck, you learn to ignore them before they are fucking *announced*. Come to think of it, from now on I'll make it my habit to ignore "new RPGs" before their fucking concept documents are pitched. Will save me some more bandwidth I am already saving on torrents.

Cassidy

Arcane
Fallout 3 with a ridiculous amount of mods. NEVER AGAIN I'll touch any Bethesda shit.

Bros don't lie to bros in cold blood about shit games being "good for what they are".

WRF Studios

WRF Studios
Developer
Neverwinter Nights 2 - I enjoyed it, but I think I screwed up building my characters so the last battle was too hard.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
While it's sort of relevant to the topic, is there a Codex Arcanum mods thread anywhere? A cursory search turned up nothing much.

Stinger

Arcane
Terra Arcanum should have a downloadable list of mods.

Personally, I just used Drog's patch and found the game to be really fun without the need for other mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom