Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Wyrmlord

Arcane
21r6fo.jpg

:yeah:

I and my bro Vilkas are on a countryside rampage now - slaying Elder Dragons like we were having lunch and then treating the five Thalmor Justiciars down the street like dessert.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I find the Thalmors to be pretty much the most hated bunch of ass I have ever seen in a video game over a decade. I don't ever recall feeling so much satisfaction killing people from a certain faction in other games. And the Thalmor isn't even the main bad guys in the game. But as dragonborn I feel having actually more fun and rewarding killing those snobby elves instead of dragons.

Can't wait for DLC or sequel so Thalmors become the main antagonists that require several wipe outs.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Wow, same here.

I think they were well developed as hateful people.

- They establish their own extralegal measures on foreign territory as if it was any of their business.

- They hunt down and slaughter priests at shrines, and you can find written orders by Elenwen to take no prisoners.

- Their talk is pompous.

- They were responsible for bringing back Mehrunes Dagon in the previous game, and then went to war with the Empire, because of the injury the Mehrunes Dagon Crisis did to them.

No wonder Ysgrammar wiped out the elves while colonizing Skyrim. This game makes you feel like nothing short of an extermination of all elves in the continent is the most appropriate thing to do.

The eruption of Red Mountain was due to Vivec loving his people only so much as they loved him. They didn't love him enough, weakening the enchantment holding the Ministry of Truth aloft, and it crashed into Vvardenfell. That did bad things. The Argonian invasion was ostensibly in retaliation for years of slavery; an alternate explanation is that the Dunmer cut down a few Hist in attempts to expand into Black March, which would be seen as a far greater crime by the resident alien trees.

Landfall and the invasion were mentioned in the Infernal City book, but didn't have much to do with the actual events of the novel.

Also, it's not clear that the Thalmor removed the moons. They just took credit for returning them. Whether that's because they actually did, or just predicted when they would return, is unknown. Most likely something underhanded, though.

Project: Eternity
kris said:
baronjohn said:
Sure is original

You guys are so late. I called it Edoras weeks ago. That whole valley is LOTR Rohan theme park. Just missing the horses and Grima Wormtongue.

Yeah, I never said it out loud but a lot of the architecture just screams "lol LOTR reference/ripoff". Still better than Oblivion's art design.

egr

Novice
C&C in Skyrim
1. Join the thieves guild. You can now bribe guards even easier than before.
2. Do some quests for the Dark Brotherhood. Go to Solitude - kill the Emperor's cousin and a couple of other members of the royal family.
3. Pay one out of the 15 guards that are chasing you around 300 gold.
4. You are free to go.

Wyrmlord said:
No wonder Ysgrammar wiped out the elves while colonizing Skyrim. This game makes you feel like nothing short of an extermination of all elves in the continent is the most appropriate thing to do.

But Dark Elves have almost nothing to do with any of this. Right now they're (slowly) acclimating to Skyrim culture and practices, or the lazy ones are bumming for food.

Turjan

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Wyrmlord said:

But Dark Elves have almost nothing to do with any of this. Right now they're (slowly) acclimating to Skyrim culture and practices, or the lazy ones are bumming for food.

Indeed. I guess the Altmer don't want to have to do anything with Dunmer anymore, ever since the latter interbred with Klingon.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Not getting all the Ulfric hate... he's pretty BRO actually. You see completely that the empire are pussy-faggots. Saul tigh invites the thalmor ambassador to the ceasefire negotiation like a gormless cunt, ulfric calls her a bitch and tells her to GTFO. All the dunmer "racism" bullshit is of their own making, haughty assholes who can't get over the fact they're not in morrowind anymore.

The stormcloaks plan to war with the dominion once they kick the empire out, and he pretty much hands tullius his balls when at the end he says the empire he bled for would have never surrendered.

ulfric has all the makings of a tiber septim...and he's Buliwyf from the 13th warrior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQnW4sci ... re=related

Here he is clearing the reach of forsworn. (you so original bethsoft)

fizzelopeguss said:
Not getting all the Ulfric hate...

Someone on another board summed it up pretty nicely.

There are some spoilers (to do with Ulfric), so avoid if you care.

It gets better; the Empire's original plan for enforcing the ban on Talos worship was, not to enforce the ban on Talos worship. The Empire signed that treaty provision with no intention of giving it anything more than lip service.

Which is normally bad behavior, but when you're fucking over the Thalmor then go Empire.

So, for years and years, the Empire's 'ban' on Talos worship was 'Don't do it in public, where the Thalmor ambassador can see it and complain'. Everybody and their Nord sister still kept their little Talos shrines in their homes and on the down-low, the Empire pretended not to see everything, and while it still wasn't perfect it was the best compromise they could give between 'religious freedom' and 'ending the Great War before it exhausted the resources of the entire fucking continent into a stalemate'.

Note that in-game, to this day, Legate Rikke (Tullius' second-in-command) and Jarl Elisif still swear by Talos, or privately make offerings to Talos shrines. They just can't, y'know, do it where Imperial authorities can hear them...

And then along came someone who, after putting down a Forsworn rebellion in Markarth before the Empire could, made a huge public stink about Talos worship, built a temple to Talos in his home city, claimed the right to publicly worship Talos as his hero's reward for defeating the Forsworn, and basically upset the entire applecart.

Armed now with proof that the Empire was respecting their treaty obligations re: Talos worship about as seriously as Lex Luthor respects the law (i.e, only to the minimum pretense necessary to maintain public image), the Thalmor busted in demanding the right to send in "observers" to make sure that the White-Gold Concordat was enforced themselves. Boom, Justicars. Boom, people hauled off in the middle of the night. Boom, outrage of the Nords. Boom, bloody civil war.

I'm sure by now you've figured that this mysterious 'someone' was Ulfric Stormcloak.

Oh yeah, and if you've read his dossier from the chest in the Thalmor ambassador's office, you know who gave Ulfric the idea to do it in the first place.

So yeah. I go Empire every time. Because going the other way just hands it straight to the Thalmor's gambit.

PS: Yes, I know that Ulfric doesn't see himself as any kind of Thalmor puppet. He thinks he's broken free of them. He thinks he's defying them now.

He's such an idiot.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Skyrim is bringing memes all over the internet...the stupid arrow in the knee jokes spread everywhere even other countries. Bethsoft must be pretty proud of it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Not getting all the Ulfric hate...

Someone on another board summed it up pretty nicely.

There are some spoilers (to do with Ulfric), so avoid if you care.

It gets better; the Empire's original plan for enforcing the ban on Talos worship was, not to enforce the ban on Talos worship. The Empire signed that treaty provision with no intention of giving it anything more than lip service.

Which is normally bad behavior, but when you're fucking over the Thalmor then go Empire.

So, for years and years, the Empire's 'ban' on Talos worship was 'Don't do it in public, where the Thalmor ambassador can see it and complain'. Everybody and their Nord sister still kept their little Talos shrines in their homes and on the down-low, the Empire pretended not to see everything, and while it still wasn't perfect it was the best compromise they could give between 'religious freedom' and 'ending the Great War before it exhausted the resources of the entire fucking continent into a stalemate'.

Note that in-game, to this day, Legate Rikke (Tullius' second-in-command) and Jarl Elisif still swear by Talos, or privately make offerings to Talos shrines. They just can't, y'know, do it where Imperial authorities can hear them...

And then along came someone who, after putting down a Forsworn rebellion in Markarth before the Empire could, made a huge public stink about Talos worship, built a temple to Talos in his home city, claimed the right to publicly worship Talos as his hero's reward for defeating the Forsworn, and basically upset the entire applecart.

Armed now with proof that the Empire was respecting their treaty obligations re: Talos worship about as seriously as Lex Luthor respects the law (i.e, only to the minimum pretense necessary to maintain public image), the Thalmor busted in demanding the right to send in "observers" to make sure that the White-Gold Concordat was enforced themselves. Boom, Justicars. Boom, people hauled off in the middle of the night. Boom, outrage of the Nords. Boom, bloody civil war.

I'm sure by now you've figured that this mysterious 'someone' was Ulfric Stormcloak.

Oh yeah, and if you've read his dossier from the chest in the Thalmor ambassador's office, you know who gave Ulfric the idea to do it in the first place.

So yeah. I go Empire every time. Because going the other way just hands it straight to the Thalmor's gambit.

PS: Yes, I know that Ulfric doesn't see himself as any kind of Thalmor puppet. He thinks he's broken free of them. He thinks he's defying them now.

He's such an idiot.
In short, it's actually a somewhat intelligent game.

Yes, in actual implementation, it may look a bit silly, but there were definitely good writers coming up for the concept behind the intrigues.

tennishero

Novice
The King of Comedy said:
@GeneralBroseph Skyrim, real RPG? LOL NO. Skyrim, like Oblivion, is a casual RPG. If you want a 'real RPG' try Planescape Torment, or the first 2 Fallout games.
:lol:

:decline:

skyrim IS a real RPG compared to planescape- torment you with lousy combat, terribad grafixs, the worst portraits ever in a vidya game

the first 2 fallouts are HARDLY real RPGs with their shit combat engines where the enemies take 10 minutes a turn if there is a pack of more than 6 of them- and (honestly) fallout 2 was an expanision pack really

skyrim is no casual RPG- its genius (however) lies in its incredily easy to get into- but incredibly deep complexity

it is truly a genre buster- a new "halo or goldeneye" IE- a game that turns the entire genre on its head

emil's been a legend in the video game scene since the thief days but on skyrim i think he has outdone even himself- he's reached shafer levels of genius

bonescraper

Black said:
Lookie here, fag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpV6t3-uhuE

A GURL GAMER with TITS is capable of making a way more rational and critical review of Skyrim than most of you "better than oblivion" dumbfucks.
Maybe you guys should grow pussies instead?
Raychul? Is she a lesbian version of Jaesun? She said she has a wife in Skyrim. I see a pattern here. :lol:

The Wizard

Educated
He's such an idiot.[/b]
problem is, the peace treaty was far more beneficial to the thalmor (who have barely any fighting men and rely heavily on ambushes and political maneuvering according to the rising threat.). remember also that the peace treaty did not only cost the empire a god, but also an elite unit of warriors/spies/dragonslayers(how convenient). the empire also seems to hold the believe that this is just another war, not a fight against omnicidal mystics that want to blow up everything. that it was signed at all was the zenith of mede retardation, because what would the thalmor have done if it wasn't signed? fight until the last man, risk losing and destroy centuries of planning? and what if they had won against the empire? there were still skyrim and hammerfell, the latter of which kicked out the thalmor ON ITS OWN, and the first was founded by 500 dudes eliminating an entire elven civilization. yeah, i bet they would have loved making open war with those guys. especially since the leader already was known to be of similar genocidal stock that they themselves are.
( in the dossier: see how they piss their pants at the prospect of a stormcloak victory)

the introduction of justicars as an answer to ulfrics demand of open talos worship was actually a gain for humanity.
how many generations until it would have died if it was only practiced under the table and talos be utterly forgotten? 4-5? the thalmor could have just sat back and let it slowly die out, but instead they sent out SS troopers and build concentration camps, upsetting enough people to start an open rebellion. but instead of channeling all that hatred (and extra manpower) towards the thalmor, what does the empire do? bare it's ass and let itself get fucked.

tennishero

Novice
even amongst the dreaded rpgcodicks the bethesda juganaught of awesomeness has converteted the decline lovers

skyrim is the greatest game ever made that everyone should play

its an honour to play a game this good

i have to admit i didnt think Todd had it in him to make something this MAJESTIC

bravo Todd- you shall henceforth never be called toddler again

from now on you shall be sir Todd Bethrocks- KING OF THE NEW BLACK ISLE

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Quoting this dumbfuck really piss off those of us that have this shit spamposter on ignore.

Just FYI Cassidy.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Fascinating... Some people really DO care about Skyrim backbone story/history. Personally, I never bother. Come to think about, last game I cared about the story was Anachronox. So, I ask in that way, is Skyrim better/bigger/funnier/prettier/shaderier/vexterier "bike" simulator than Oblivion? For people who don't want to remember a difference between Dunmer/Altmer what-ever-tolkien-race-war-clone-with-anicent-roman-greek-persian-germans-stuff and just want to effectively piss self-ego over gameland...?

Wulfstand

Prophet
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Oblivion_Crisis#The_Skyrim_Civil_War said:
Battle of Windhelm, 4E 201. The Battle of Windhelm occurs if the Imperial Legion has regained the Holds under control of the Stormcloaks. General Tullius personally leads the assault on the last bastion of the Stormcloak rebellion, fighting with his men to the doors of the Palace of the Kings. Tullius and Legate Rikke fight and kill Ulfric Stormcloak and Galmar Stone-Fist, putting an end to the Stormcloaks' efforts to have Skyrim secede. Brunwulf Free-Winter is installed as the new Jarl of Windhelm. Skyrim is officially reunified under the Empire, and the ban on Talos worship is completely enforced.

So is this Bethesda's canon, or is it just the writer's choice on the matter?

Drakron

Arcane
Wulfstand said:
So is this Bethesda's canon, or is it just the writer's choice on the matter?

Until the next game we will not know and they can just ignore it.

You can ignore the whole Civil War as a quest "Season Unending" that is the negotiation of a truce that only happens if you have not taken one of the side to its conclusion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom