Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help from Skyrim experts

Wyrmlord

Arcane
And yes, it is challenging enough to require a separate thread.

I am aiming for 100% fire resistance. I guess I could do it through a mixture of a ring, a necklace, and a potion. Or any other additional means that you could explain to me.

My guess is that with 100 Enchantment, I can forge a ring and a necklace of 30% fire resistance each, adding up to 60%. The rest, I can get from the potion.

The problem is that I don't know a quick way of getting to 100 Enchantment.

So Mangoose, halflingbarbarian, and others, can you tell me how to

1) Get 100% fire resistance without 100 Enchantment?

Or

2) Get to 100 Enchantment at all?

roll-a-die

Magister
Wyrmlord said:
And yes, it is challenging enough to require a separate thread.

I am aiming for 100% fire resistance. I guess I could do it through a mixture of a ring, a necklace, and a potion. Or any other additional means that you could explain to me.

My guess is that with 100 Enchantment, I can forge a ring and a necklace of 30% fire resistance each, adding up to 60%. The rest, I can get from the potion.

The problem is that I don't know a quick way of getting to 100 Enchantment.

So Mangoose, halflingbarbarian, and others, can you tell me how to

1) Get 100% fire resistance without 100 Enchantment?

Or

2) Get to 100 Enchantment at all?

They cap resists 85%. It's not worth bothering with getting them to 100. Just aim for 85 since it's the max.

As far as Enchanting grinding goes, get a black azura's star from the quest on the mage city and kill bandits with a soul trap weapon then refill the soul trap dagger.

Edwin

Scholar
-The Atronach Stone is one of the 13 Guardian Stones located in Skyrim. The Atronach Stone gives the Dragonborn a large magicka boost (50 extra points) and enables them to absorb spell damage (50% extra absorbing). However, it causes the rate of magicka to decrease (50% regeneration decrease).
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Atronach_Stone

-The Lord Stone gives +25 Resist Magic.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Lord_Stone

-Bretons get +25% Resist Magic from the start of the game.

-Agent of Mara gives +15 Resist Magic.
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Book_of_Love

-Spellbreaker(shield) +50 resist magic while blocking
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Spel ... 8Skyrim%29

-Shield of Ysgrammor
Resist Magic, 20 pts.Fortify Health, 20 pts
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Shield_of_Ysgramor

-Saviors Hide(15 pts)
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Savi ... 8Skyrim%29

-Ring of Magic Abatement(20%),it was probably a random drop,I dont remember where I got it and no info about it what I can find

Cap is 85% but the atronach stone and the agent of mara is more than enough for me to survive hard magic users without spamming potions(now that I got a big HP pool),they are passives no enchanting needed(just click on the stone and complete a quest)

edit:or just pick up the dead thrall spell and get this mage http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Arondil
I just picked him up and he wiped out entire Solitude alone on master difficulty( he is to uber so I left him in my body storage room :( )

Gerrard

Arcane
Is there a point to getting elemental resistances when you can just get magic resistance instead? Do the effects stack? Will you only take 2,25% damage with say capped fire and magic?

Also, does magic resistance still affect ALL spells, including healing? Pretty sure it's been dumbed down so it doesn't, but I'd like to know for sure.

I have zero idea what elemental resistance cap is but if it's in-line with the other mitigation mechanics it'll be 85% (MR and Armor are at that).

Elemental Protection under Block tree halves all elemental damage.

Lord Stone might/might not work, not sure. Because the 50 points of damage resistance may only apply to physical damage, the system is really unclear on this. Same as with MR and elemental resist, but I personally work on the assumption that 'magic' damage comes from spells only, so dragon breaths, for example, won't be affected by magic resistance. Might even hazard a guess that magic resistance is a percentile roll that negates a spell effect totally, though haven't encountered enemy spells beyond damaging types.

Why do you need total mitigation from fire?

Edit: My best guess at leveling enchanting to 100 through some abuse of the system is to fast travel to each city and buy petty/lesser/even common filled soulgems from general merchants and wizards and enchant low priced goods (clothing from clothing shop in Solitude, or smithed iron daggers) and resell them to continue the cycle.

And nobody can be an expert of Skyrim per se at the moment with much of its mechanics untested and undocumented sadly.

shiggidyshwa

Novice
Raising your Enchantment shouldn't be too hard, no?

Pick up all the jewelry and petty soul gems you can, and enchant them. Sell them and repeat. Most court wizards have a steady supply of gems and jewelry, and the general goods merchants do too.

Also, why the resistance?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Resist magic stacks with resist element, multiplicatively. I.e 50% resist magic + 50% resist fire = 75% resist fire.

Resist magic or elements stack with itself additively.

Since both magic and element resistance each caps at 85%, the maximum resist you can get is 15% * 15% = around 2%. Ancient dragon's breath will do only single digit damage to you.

I find that to be pretty much broken, not unlike exploiting smithing/enchanting/alchemy. Even on master difficulty ancient dragons will hardly put a dent on your character.

tennishero

Novice
the 1600 page strat guide is prob the MAJESTICest guide ever written

buy it
borrow it
steal t

whatever, get it- its awesome

much better than gamefaqs guides

lotsa pictures aswell

Wyrmlord

Arcane
halflingbarbarian said:
I wish to defeat Alduin in the Throat of the World without frequent reloading. I keep getting very close before dying.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wyrmlord said:
halflingbarbarian said:
I wish to defeat Alduin in the Throat of the World without frequent reloading.

I used the console to raise all skils to 100 so I'm level 81. I expect what i assume to be a scaled alduin to put up a better fight than the 4 whack kills I get when fighting ancient dragons. What type of character are you playing?

baronjohn

Cipher
Get the spellbreaker shield. Dragon breath didn't do any damage to me if I blocked.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I didn't cheat. I only mass repeat used a skill for getting Smithing to 100. Other than that, I have a "natural" character, with currently

97 in Two Handed (Vilkas gives free training to the Harbinger, and I used Septum Signius' book for training)
80 in Heavy Armour (Farkas gives free training to the Harbinger, and I used Septum Signius' book for training)
Daedric Warhammer (Legendary)
Dragonplate Armour Set (Legendary)

It's a pretty mediocre build, given that it's a pure fighter, but I run through dungeons quicker - it's for taking down standard enemies (such as Draugr Scourges) in one hit. It doesn't help me too much against the bosses and the very best. Master Difficulty really humbles you in Skyrim.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Free training ? Off topic, but are there any other free training opportunities in the game ?
Every time you max out your reputation with a group (such as the Companions), you can have its members accompany you on trips. They can also train you during the course of your trip. When they become your companion, they pool resources with you. So if you train with them and pay for it, you are basically paying yourself. In effect, free training.

Of course, the training is limited to the point that the cost exceeds the maximum cash balance you and your companion have. Since you two can't "pay" yourself more money than you have.

Gregz

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Free training ? Off topic, but are there any other free training opportunities in the game ?

If you raise pickpocket early (or just reload a failed attempt), you can get free training all game (at least to level 50 anyway).

1) Pay the trainer
2) Pick his/her pocket to get your money back
3) Repeat 5 times per level

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Gregz said:
anus_pounder said:

If you raise pickpocket early (or just reload a failed attempt), you can get free training all game (at least to level 50 anyway).

1) Pay the trainer
2) Pick his/her pocket to get your money back
3) Repeat 5 times per level
Ah yes, the Fallout way of getting the best of everything.

Pay a man to upgrade your armour, steal back your money afterwards. :M

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Okay, now it's annoying.

When Alduin notices that you have Fire Resistance, he attacks with Frost Breath. I got 72% Fire Resistance with an Elixir and a Ring.

I think I'll need both Frost and Fire Resistance.

I hope Alduin doesn't have a third Electric attack or something.

The Wizard

Educated
try a lesser ward.

i once blocked the breath attack from an ancient one. could have been a steafast one, though, not sure.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
baronjohn said:
:hmmm: why don't you just get magic resistance?
So you mean Magic damage is not a separate type of damage, but includes Fire, Shock, and Frost together? I swear, I read the short manual end to end, but none of this was mentioned.

Ouch.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Theres at least one trainer that pickpocket trick doesn't work on. Namely that redguard in the brotherhood. I paid him some 7000 gold to train my one handed skills and the pickpocket chance was 0% even with my 100 Sneak skill and perks. His other items had the usual 90% Steal cap, though. I'll have to try that follower trick though. Too bad I don't use either heavy or two handed. Fuck.

Gregz

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Theres at least one trainer that pickpocket trick doesn't work on. Namely that redguard in the brotherhood. I paid him some 7000 gold to train my one handed skills and the pickpocket chance was 0% even with my 100 Sneak skill and perks. His other items had the usual 90% Steal cap, though. I'll have to try that follower trick though. Too bad I don't use either heavy or two handed. Fuck.

After 800 gold or so it's 0%, that's why it only works up to level 50 on the skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom