Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EPIC MAJESTIC UBER GRITTY DIABLO III OPENING CINEMATIC

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Captain Shrek said:
Serious_Business said:
Fuckin' sucked, man.

I've been thinking about this. In D1, Diablo was the "lord of terror". Meaning - he was a spiritual, metaphysical force first and foremost. It didn't matter if you killed him as a physical entity, he'd always come back - because terror is an essential part of existence. Now in D2 and D3 he's just a big frog you kill over and over again with your powerful dick you grinded with your 13 years old friends

Secondly, the "forces of heaven" - I remember reading in the D1 manual that they were not any better than the forces of hell. The point was that the two sides wanted to win humanity over to help them win their war and rule over the world. The forces of hell would corrupt men, and heaven would enroll men into their religious orders. The angels were inhuman, cold, disciplined and ruthless. It was more about law vs chaos than good vs evil, if we want to use that shit from D&D. It never was about helping man, just using him.

And this war ultimately wasn't meant to be LoTR bullshit, all out fightan orcs agaisnt knights. It was metaphorical. The existence of man is where the war really happens. The story of the hero in D1 is symbolic of that.

Bullshit, man.

This bullshit again? Are we looking for literary value in Diablo now?

That's the bloody point. As DraQ said, you really feel the :decline: is strong when a damn hack&slash from late 90s is far better storywise than what we are spoonfed now.

ortucis

Prophet
Nukester said:
I was trying to catch an upskirt shot at the 2:21 mark but alas couldnt get a glimpse

Move few frames forward then..

PdPRq.jpg

damicore

Augur
Mrowak said:
Captain Shrek said:
Serious_Business said:
Fuckin' sucked, man.

I've been thinking about this. In D1, Diablo was the "lord of terror". Meaning - he was a spiritual, metaphysical force first and foremost. It didn't matter if you killed him as a physical entity, he'd always come back - because terror is an essential part of existence. Now in D2 and D3 he's just a big frog you kill over and over again with your powerful dick you grinded with your 13 years old friends

Secondly, the "forces of heaven" - I remember reading in the D1 manual that they were not any better than the forces of hell. The point was that the two sides wanted to win humanity over to help them win their war and rule over the world. The forces of hell would corrupt men, and heaven would enroll men into their religious orders. The angels were inhuman, cold, disciplined and ruthless. It was more about law vs chaos than good vs evil, if we want to use that shit from D&D. It never was about helping man, just using him.

And this war ultimately wasn't meant to be LoTR bullshit, all out fightan orcs agaisnt knights. It was metaphorical. The existence of man is where the war really happens. The story of the hero in D1 is symbolic of that.

Bullshit, man.

This bullshit again? Are we looking for literary value in Diablo now?

That's the bloody point. As DraQ said, you really feel the :decline: is strong when a damn hack&slash from late 90s is far better storywise than what we are spoonfed now.

Hey guize let's not fight, wRPGs have never had good storylines IIRC, they're always your typical LOTR or sci-fi shit save may be a couple of them (PST, FO?).
Storyfags, the decline has still not come for you, rejoice! :smug:

Kaol

Educated
Is it me or does moaning about a bit of cgi seem rather pointless? I thought Outpost had decent cgi for its time but the actual game was shit.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Mangoose said:
That's because the good employees of Blizzard left. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCehYrEbO0&ob=av3e

WoW: Dragon shows up, wrecks everything

Guild Wars 2: Dragons show up, shit gets real

Skyrim: Dragons try to wreck everything, don't like it when people yell at them a lot

Dragon Age: More the minions than the dragons, but they still periodically show up to wreck everything.

It's like 'dragons are pissed' is the new trope, battling it out with zombies for gaming prominence.

Oh fuck, NECRO DRAGONS! INCOMING!
Dunno what's up with the Dragons trope actually. Anyways I was speaking more of just the art style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06xYQF2szo

Luzur

Good Sir
they are trying to hard to be epic.

also meteor right at Deckard's desk.

totally RIGHT IN YOUR FACE OLD MAN IT HAS BEGUN EXTREME

Captain Shrek

Morgoth said:
What is it with this American fetish of showing "suggestive themes" of teenage girls in video games lately? First The last of Us, now this.

Kwans secretly teen rapists, or just sexually frustrated?

Marketing pyschology. They know what YOU ( as in general public) secretly wants.

Castanova

Prophet
Morgoth said:
What is it with this American fetish of showing "suggestive themes" of teenage girls in video games lately? First The last of Us, now this.

Uh, how was The Last of Us suggestive? It has a teenage girl in it with a long-sleeve shirt and jeans on. If you thought that was suggestive, I think maybe you're the one with the fetish.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Castanova said:
Morgoth said:

Uh, how was The Last of Us suggestive? It has a teenage girl in it with a long-sleeve shirt and jeans on. If you thought that was suggestive, I think maybe you're the one with the fetish.
If you think some scruffy bad shaved guy (Nolan North again?) gonna protect some smartass teen isn't ending up into something *suggestive* in the latter part of the game, then you're dumber than you even look.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Morgoth said:
Castanova said:
Morgoth said:

If you think some scruffy bad shaved guy (Nolan North again?) gonna protect some smartass teen isn't ending up into something *suggestive* in the latter part of the game, then you're dumber than you even look.

Of all the 100 million man hours of animation the game will have (it's ND), guaranteed the girl has the lions share of that. Pandering.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Great visual direction and excellent animation, but holy shit was that writing hackneyed as fuck. Light and darkness, yawn. What happened to the original story setup and interesting characters of Diablo II? Instead of an old man in an insane asylum being forced to relive his memories, we have... Generic Cute Girl. Even Deckard Cain is boring compared to his other appearances. Where's the lore, the mystique? It just strikes me as watered down crap afraid to be anything more than a giant cliche. The complete and utter lack of direction and pacing is extremely apparent compared to the cinematics from Diablo II, StarCraft and Warcraft III.

By the way, the writing sucks in the main game as well, based on the beta. Just as lacking in any emotional impact and has very little lore to speak of. It's like... well, like I wrote it.

Castanova

Prophet
Morgoth said:
Castanova said:
Morgoth said:

So you saw the suggestion of something potentially suggestive.

:salute:

Castanova

Prophet
sea said:
Great visual direction and excellent animation, but holy shit was that writing hackneyed as fuck. Light and darkness, yawn. What happened to the original story setup and interesting characters of Diablo II? Where's the lore, the mystique? It just strikes me as watered down crap afraid to be anything more than a giant cliche. The complete and utter lack of direction and pacing is extremely apparent compared to the cinematics from Diablo II, StarCraft and Warcraft III.

They've stated that they're trying to seamlessly dispense with the narrative in the game itself rather than stuffing it into the cutscenes. Not saying D3 will have a masterpiece storyline but it's not surprising that the intro movie is just, well, an intro.

Technically proficient. Embarrassing story-telling that makes no sense. Pretty much what you would expect after SCII. But I guess maybe it will make sense later? I don't know.

Also, didn't Deckard Cain make an appearance in one of the first Diablo 3 sequences that was demo'd?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom